Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Clb won the trade. Laine > Dubois.

yes but i think they both sort of won given that they both seemed to have to move the players. The interesting thing now is will Laine be happy in Columbus and Dubois happy in Winnipeg? 

 

59 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Tortorella is going to love Laine :4224:

I can't wait to see this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Clb won the trade. Laine > Dubois.

I’m happy MB stood pat on this one and agree with you and giving up a draft choice for Roslovic with jets retaining some Laine salary. I hope it bodes well for MTL vs PEG games. Laine is a game changer when he’s on the PP - PLD not so much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps a bit of a forward looking salary dump for Winnipeg but in the end I really don't see any winners here although Columbus will enjoy this for a while. Winnipeg appears to have overpaid but they do get Dubois for the extra year. I am not sure Dubois will stay one day longer in Winnipeg than he has to and Bergevin's best move may be to wait for  a more Hab friendly deal down the road when the Jets figure out he doesn't want to play there either (especially if he continues to pout and play like he has at the start here). Columbus GM Dr. K has given himself a great shot at signing a fellow Finn, but Laine may have other plans. Ironically this may also be a move that ends up seeing Torts removed because I am sure he will not be able to bench Laine the same way that he treated Dubois. If Columbus struggles after this deal Torts may be the one on the bench. There is a bit of a lesson here for disgruntled top picks and that is be careful what you wish for because it is not a sure thing that you will end up in a better place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing the return Im very glad we didnt acquire Dubois. It would have at very least cost us JK  and possibly Suzuki.   While i would have loved to have had Suzuki, JK AND Dubois (if we could have centred a deal around Drouin or Danault), im more than happy to keep what we've got rather than lose one of those 2 guys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Seeing the return Im very glad we didnt acquire Dubois. It would have at very least cost us JK  and possibly Suzuki.   While i would have loved to have had Suzuki, JK AND Dubois (if we could have centred a deal around Drouin or Danault), im more than happy to keep what we've got rather than lose one of those 2 guys. 

absolutely ...happy with not upsetting the team chemistry ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PLD's dad is a coach in the Winnipeg system, but other than that, hard to imagine he's enthused by going to Winnipeg. It's a small market without a ton of media attention outside of the city and they aren't likely to be a perennial contender for the next few years with the D corps they have. To boot, they already have a 1C in Scheifele. You'd have to figure he's going to try to walk in 3 years (or refuse to re-sign in 2) and he's already announced he wants to come to Montreal, so that bodes well for us potentially. This could be like Vanek saying he wanted to go to Minny or Shattenkirk wanting to go to the Rangers or so on: not much point in other teams getting involved if the player is set on going to one team when he gets his choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

PLD's dad is a coach in the Winnipeg system, but other than that, hard to imagine he's enthused by going to Winnipeg. It's a small market without a ton of media attention outside of the city and they aren't likely to be a perennial contender for the next few years with the D corps they have. To boot, they already have a 1C in Scheifele. You'd have to figure he's going to try to walk in 3 years (or refuse to re-sign in 2) and he's already announced he wants to come to Montreal, so that bodes well for us potentially. This could be like Vanek saying he wanted to go to Minny or Shattenkirk wanting to go to the Rangers or so on: not much point in other teams getting involved if the player is set on going to one team when he gets his choice.

Agreed, I think we're in a pretty good position. Winnipeg isn't really the destination of choice for most Quebecers and if PLD truly wants to play in Montreal, we'll certainly have a chance to get him next summer or once his contract expires. Thankfully MB didn't do anything stupid to get him now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Seeing the return Im very glad we didnt acquire Dubois. It would have at very least cost us JK  and possibly Suzuki.   While i would have loved to have had Suzuki, JK AND Dubois (if we could have centred a deal around Drouin or Danault), im more than happy to keep what we've got rather than lose one of those 2 guys. 

I saw a report on nhltraderumors.me not sure how accurate it was so take with a grain of salt. The deal Montreal put forth was KK + Armia + Poehling + picks (did not specify what picks). Columbus reportedly said they wanted either Suzuki or Danault + and MB wasn't willing to part with either Nick or Philip.

 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/01/montreal-canadiens-made-insane-offer.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I saw a report on nhltraderumors.me not sure how accurate it was so take with a grain of salt. The deal Montreal put forth was KK + Armia + Poehling + picks (did not specify what picks). Columbus reportedly said they wanted either Suzuki or Danault + and MB wasn't willing to part with either Nick or Philip.

 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/01/montreal-canadiens-made-insane-offer.html

Yeah, never seen that URL before ...  I doubt that was what we offered, especially given how good we've been playing.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah, never seen that URL before ...  I doubt that was what we offered, especially given how good we've been playing.   

Yeah I thought it was low but if Danault walks in FA then I think it was a huge mistake not to make that trade with Danault as the main piece going back. I also heard the package was KK + Guhle + Caufield + 2021 1st  but that makes no sense either. Especially since Jarmo turned down our package in favor of Laine and Roslovic. I mean our 3 most recent 1st + next year's 1st. That is one hell of a package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I thought it was low but if Danault walks in FA then I think it was a huge mistake not to make that trade with Danault as the main piece going back. I also heard the package was KK + Guhle + Caufield + 2021 1st  but that makes no sense either. Especially since Jarmo turned down our package in favor of Laine and Roslovic. I mean our 3 most recent 1st + next year's 1st. That is one hell of a package.

Yup ... I'm thinking MB was not parting with Suzuki or JK and Columbus wanted one of those.   So when the Jets were willing to part with Laine it was a no brainer for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I was just reading Dano turned down 30 million over 6 years right before we signed Gally. that is a fair offer I think I wonder what he thinks he is worth? When you look at what we signed Toffoli for he may have made a mistake turning that down the cap is not going up anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So I was just reading Dano turned down 30 million over 6 years right before we signed Gally. that is a fair offer I think I wonder what he thinks he is worth? When you look at what we signed Toffoli for he may have made a mistake turning that down the cap is not going up anytime soon.

I've always seen Danault in the 5.5 range ...he's at least as valuable as Anderson and that's probably what he wants ..it'll be the same for Tatar's  starting point if not more ....something has to give with a flat cap next year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

So I was just reading Dano turned down 30 million over 6 years right before we signed Gally. that is a fair offer I think I wonder what he thinks he is worth? When you look at what we signed Toffoli for he may have made a mistake turning that down the cap is not going up anytime soon.

what concerns me is that apparently, he didn't even counter. That leads me to believe he simply wants to test free agency

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, habsisme said:

what concerns me is that apparently, he didn't even counter. That leads me to believe he simply wants to test free agency

I think he didn't counter at the time because he didn't know what his future role was with the team. All the talk was him being a 3rd line center going forward and he doesn't see himself that way. Probably figures he can have a bigger role somewhere else. That may have changed now that it doesn't look like he was demoted at all and is still playing with Gally and Tuna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I think he didn't counter at the time because he didn't know what his future role was with the team. All the talk was him being a 3rd line center going forward and he doesn't see himself that way. Probably figures he can have a bigger role somewhere else. That may have changed now that it doesn't look like he was demoted at all and is still playing with Gally and Tuna.

Yeah that is the thing, do we really have a #1 line here or do we have 3 ''top'' lines and a checking line? if he still plays with the guys he wants and gets enough ice time i think he can't complain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sort of feel like we might not have the room to resign Danault... If he turned down $30 million over six years... Well, I don't see us going higher than that. He is a very good player but Kotkaniemi will get a raise next season, and Suzuki the season after that. Those two are our future down the middle, not Danault. Maybe we can find the room if we allow Tatar and/or Armia to walk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2021 at 4:17 PM, BigTed3 said:

PLD's dad is a coach in the Winnipeg system, but other than that, hard to imagine he's enthused by going to Winnipeg. It's a small market without a ton of media attention outside of the city and they aren't likely to be a perennial contender for the next few years with the D corps they have. To boot, they already have a 1C in Scheifele. You'd have to figure he's going to try to walk in 3 years (or refuse to re-sign in 2) and he's already announced he wants to come to Montreal, so that bodes well for us potentially. This could be like Vanek saying he wanted to go to Minny or Shattenkirk wanting to go to the Rangers or so on: not much point in other teams getting involved if the player is set on going to one team when he gets his choice.

In 2- 3 years there may not be room for him unless he wants to play wing.  Suzuki and JK may already be established as our top 2 guys... 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:09 PM, campabee82 said:

I saw a report on nhltraderumors.me not sure how accurate it was so take with a grain of salt. The deal Montreal put forth was KK + Armia + Poehling + picks (did not specify what picks). Columbus reportedly said they wanted either Suzuki or Danault + and MB wasn't willing to part with either Nick or Philip.

 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/01/montreal-canadiens-made-insane-offer.html

I know you said take it with a grain of salt but honestly I cant see MB valuing Danault above JK. I absolutely believe he wouldnt have given up Nick. But Danault +  ?  I am pretty sure MB would have made that trade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I sort of feel like we might not have the room to resign Danault... If he turned down $30 million over six years... Well, I don't see us going higher than that. He is a very good player but Kotkaniemi will get a raise next season, and Suzuki the season after that. Those two are our future down the middle, not Danault. Maybe we can find the room if we allow Tatar and/or Armia to walk.

I don’t see us resigning Armia unless he has an outstanding short season and comes cheap and certainly not for any term beyond 2 or 3 years. Gallagher, Anderson and Caufield would seem to be our Rw’s of the future at the top 3 pairings with Toffoli able to play LW or RW. At LW Drouin, Toffoli and resigning Tatar make sense for the top 3. Byron or Jake Allan or Chiarot will be claimed by the Kraken providing some cap room. 
it is possible Danualt has priced himself out of our plans if KK continues to ascend his play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021-01-23 at 11:01 AM, BigTed3 said:

I think Clb won the trade. Laine > Dubois.

Agreed. Time will tell of course. But I’d suggest Laine is the better player straight up. I don’t think there’s any arguing that. 

I am curious about linemates for each now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

In 2- 3 years there may not be room for him unless he wants to play wing.  Suzuki and JK may already be established as our top 2 guys... 

I know you said take it with a grain of salt but honestly I cant see MB valuing Danault above JK. I absolutely believe he wouldnt have given up Nick. But Danault +  ?  I am pretty sure MB would have made that trade. 

That would be sooo disappointing,  if MB would not give up PD in that trade. It defies logic. It can't be true. Maybe one day we find out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Seravalli and Renaud Lavoie both reporting that Vince Dunn is on the outs with the Blues coaching staff and that he's officially on the trading block. He's a guy I was interested in even before he made the NHL and he'd be a great fit on the left side of our D. Would the Blues be interested in swapping him for a package that's build around any one of Chiarot, Edmundson (former Blue whom they loved there), Fleury, Mete, etc. Would they do it for one of those guys and a 2nd or 3rd rounder or one of those guys and a prospect like Poehling? I'd like our D a lot more if we traded say Chiarot or Mete and lined up instead with

Romanov-Petry

Dunn-Weber

 

as our top 4.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Frank Seravalli and Renaud Lavoie both reporting that Vince Dunn is on the outs with the Blues coaching staff and that he's officially on the trading block. He's a guy I was interested in even before he made the NHL and he'd be a great fit on the left side of our D. Would the Blues be interested in swapping him for a package that's build around any one of Chiarot, Edmundson (former Blue whom they loved there), Fleury, Mete, etc. Would they do it for one of those guys and a 2nd or 3rd rounder or one of those guys and a prospect like Poehling? I'd like our D a lot more if we traded say Chiarot or Mete and lined up instead with

Romanov-Petry

Dunn-Weber

as our top 4.

I like Dunn too - I’m not sure that the blues have enough cap room to absorb some salary and swap him for Mete and maybe a draft choice vs Chiarot 
I’m hoping Jake Bean plays enough qualifying games with Carolina who will likely protect Skej, Pesce and Slavin. They risk losing Hayden Fleury or Bean - maybe we could trade for one of those prospects 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...