The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I dont love Gardiner but he has the biggest impact on our team from all ufa except panarin 

I honestly think he's a mistake in the making. Not as big as Alzner but not far off for the amount of money he's rumoured to be asking for. He doesn't really improve our team that much and just hampers our ability to resign our true prospects down the road. He's already cost us a guy like Shaw ( not so bad IMO) but what if it costs us a pass on Domi or KK down the road? If we're going to jump into the UFA pool it better be for someone who really increases our chances for a cup in the next couple years. Does Gardiner do that ? Don't see it.

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I honestly think he's a mistake in the making. Not as big as Alzner but not far off for the amount of money he's rumoured to be asking for. He doesn't really improve our team that much and just hampers our ability to resign our true prospects down the road. He's already cost us a guy like Shaw ( not so bad IMO) but what if it costs us a pass on Domi or KK down the road? If we're going to jump into the UFA pool it better be for someone who really increases our chances for a cup in the next couple years. Does Gardiner do that ? Don't see it.

I would have rather signed no one. But Gardiner brings us closer to a cup than any other UFA except maybe Panarin. He fills our biggest need. Duch costs a lot too and I don't think he is much better than what we have. 

Gardiner SHOULD be a 6 million guy, but he's likely going to cost 7-8 which is too much. But like I said, no other player increases our chances like Gardiner does because we have no one on the left side that is capable of producing the type of offence he is capable to producing.

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I would have rather signed no one. But Gardiner brings us closer to a cup than any other UFA except maybe Panarin. He fills our biggest need. Duch costs a lot too and I don't think he is much better than what we have. 

Gardiner SHOULD be a 6 million guy, but he's likely going to cost 7-8 which is too much. But like I said, no other player increases our chances like Gardiner does because we have no one on the left side that is capable of producing the type of offence he is capable to producing.

I agree. The only UFA that interest's me is Panarin but that's not happening. That's why i'm advocating an overpayment on a RFA. It has to be a serious attempt though. A guy like Marner or Laine boosts our chances at a Cup with the current core we have. If we can't make it work I don't see a serious run again until our next batch of kids are ready.

43 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So if Duchene is going to Nashville why is he suddenly following Habs. I just don't understand the reasoning for it.

Maybe you're making more to it than there really is

38 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Maybe you're making more to it than there really is

The preds rumour could also be positioning for a last minute offer from the Habs though as well. Most likely Duchene goes to the Preds and MB does nothing again but get fans hopes up for a big let down and this year we miss the playoffs by a minimum of 10 points cause everyone else got better while We "stayed the course" as usual

Edited by campabee82

TSN’s Pierre LeBrun reported Sunday night that Duchene and the Predators are talking about a seven-year deal worth US$56 million, while Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reported it’s already a done deal.

The Athletic: The Blue Jackets have made a massive, late-night offer in an attempt to keep Artemi Panarin

Edited by kinot-2

McKenzie:

"It doesn’t appear as though Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky will be signed as a set. Signs point toward Bobrovsky ending up in FLA while NYI appear the favourite to land Panarin. Both players are repped by the same agent, Paul Theofanous."

Asked if finding a left-shot defenceman to play with Shea Weber on the top pairing and an offensive forward were his priorities, Bergevin said: “I’d like to add some defencemen … I’d like to add a D. Up front, if it could make our team better I sure will.”

Edited by kinot-2

Georges Laraque Twitter:: "From what I hear, these will be confirmed tomorrow Duchene-Nashville, Bobrovski-Florida and Pavelski-Dallas. Habs will present an offer sheet! De ce que j’entends, ce sera confirmé demain, Duchene-Nashville, Bobrovski-Floride et Pavelski-Dallas. Le CH présentera une offre hostile."

Bold is mine. 

Edited by kinot-2
14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Georges Laraque Twitter:: "From what I hear, these will be confirmed tomorrow Duchene-Nashville, Bobrovski-Florida and Pavelski-Dallas. Habs will present an offer sheet! De ce que j’entends, ce sera confirmé demain, Duchene-Nashville, Bobrovski-Floride et Pavelski-Dallas. Le CH présentera une offre hostile."

Bold is mine. 

If the offer sheet is successful then I suspect it will be far better for our team than say, signing Duchene.  But of course the worry is that it will be matched, we wont sign that player & we will end up with nothing but a whole lotta cap space... Lets hope theyve got this figured out. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If the offer sheet is successful then I suspect it will be far better for our team than say, signing Duchene.  But of course the worry is that it will be matched, we wont sign that player & we will end up with nothing but a whole lotta cap space... Lets hope theyve got this figured out. 

OK, then, we "could" present an offer sheet to, say Marner, or Aho, or Duch, could we sign 1 of those, and retract the other offer sheets?

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

OK, then, we "could" present an offer sheet to, say Marner, or Aho, or Duch, could we sign 1 of those, and retract the other offer sheets?

im not positive but i am pretty sure you cant retract multiple offers.  Theoretically you could put a condition on an offer like a date or some other stipulation but i dont think that would entice someone to accept.  I think you take your best shot & hope you've done your due diligence knowing the other team cant/wont match. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

im not positive but i am pretty sure you cant retract multiple offers.  Theoretically you could put a condition on an offer like a date or some other stipulation but i dont think that would entice someone to accept.  I think you take your best shot & hope you've done your due diligence knowing the other team cant/wont match. 

So, if I interpret this right, you can go over the cap in the summer, as long as you're under the cap in Sept.?

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

So, if I interpret this right, you can go over the cap in the summer, as long as you're under the cap in Sept.?

Yes.  There's a max (10%?) that you have to stay under but you can definitely go over for a little while.

Just now, maas_art said:

Yes.  There's a max (10%?) that you have to stay under but you can definitely go over for a little while.

TKS. :)

Trading Shaw to make room for Gardiner would be very underwhelming.

Duchene at 8M/year seems reasonable given the recent signings/contracts (if he's willing to accept a similar deal in Montreal).

Not sold on Lee, if we're going after Gardiner I'd rather add Ferland to replace Shaw.

If it's an offer sheet, I wouldn't mind Laine or Marner of course, but both teams would probably match and I'd absolutely hate to lose those 4 first rounders.

3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Duchene at 8M/year seems reasonable given the recent signings/contracts (if he's willing to accept a similar deal in Montreal).

I think the problem is term. I think MB would probably have offered him $8m a year for 5 years - maybe even $9m a year for 5 - but 7 is probably just too long for a player of his age.  

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think the problem is term. I think MB would probably have offered him $8m a year for 5 years - maybe even $9m a year for 5 - but 7 is probably just too long for a player of his age.  

True, going 7 years would be a huge risk. Offensive centermen generally don't age that well, and we're not after Duchene for his defensive acumen. The same would apply to Gardiner though, haven't heard any numbers yet but 7 years would be tough to swallow IMO.