The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

There is only one thing that MB has in his favor in any Crosby trade and that is Crosby would likely only waive for Montreal. He loves being in Pittsburgh and would retire there if given the option but the Habs were his boyhood team.

I do think that Crosby wants to stay in Pittsburg or be in Montreal, and that could be the difference. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I think they're at least going to want to build the trade around one bonified NHL star player. They likely want Suzuki, but MAYBE we can convince the KK is enough and load it with some picks and prospects. But if you're trading Crosby you want something tangible in return. I'd offer KK, Guhle, Caufield and a first, but ask them to retain 3-4 million in cap hit. I still don't think it would get it done though. 

he scored 100 points 2 years ago, and is still scoring a point per game level. He has all the intangibles too. I don't think I'm overvaluing him. 

I understand the affection for Crosby but this is a significant overvalue for a player on the declining side of his career. $8.7m less maybe some negotiated salary retention for 4 more years after this year and an NMC- please we already have top heavy Price, Weber and we would take a third cap anchor imo. This is a young man’s game and Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. I wouldn’t mortgage the future by giving up two of Caufield, Guhle, KK Or Suzuki, Petry, Romanov.  One plus a first rounder and another roster player is as deep as I go.  I grasp that Sid has a proven training prep, work ethic, results and leadership and is a generational player but time is the enemy. 

5 minutes ago, claremont said:

I understand the affection for Crosby but this is a significant overvalue for a player on the declining side of his career. $8.7m less maybe some negotiated salary retention for 4 more years after this year and an NMC- please we already have top heavy Price, Weber and we would take a third cap anchor imo. This is a young man’s game and Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. I wouldn’t mortgage the future by giving up two of Caufield, Guhle, KK Or Suzuki, Petry, Romanov.  One plus a first rounder and another roster player is as deep as I go.  I grasp that Sid has a proven training prep, work ethic, results and leadership and is a generational player but time is the enemy. 

Just to be clear, I wouldn't give up Suzuki or Romanov (Petry just doesn't make sense for either team). Which is why I don't think this trade really has a chance of happening. But if I could give up Caufield, Guhle and KK for Crosby, I think it would be crazy not to, but they would need to retain salary 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Just to be clear, I wouldn't give up Suzuki or Romanov (Petry just doesn't make sense for either team). Which is why I don't think this trade really has a chance of happening. But if I could give up Caufield, Guhle and KK for Crosby, I think it would be crazy not to, but they would need to retain salary 

Here is the question you have to ask before considering giving up KK, Guhle and Caufield. Is Crosby better over the next 3-5 years than the combined trio. IMO no he is not if KK puts up 50 ish points (20G 30A) in each year and Caufield can put up 20G and 20A that will equal the output of Sid and that is without factoring in speed, age, contract value or Guhle and what he brings. Plus the trio will be better longer. For me the only deal that makes sense is Danault + Armia + Edmundson or Kulak + Struble + 2021 1st and a 2nd. It might be more of a quantity package but there is still value there plus we would be the only team bidding so it's kind of a take it or leave it type of scenario. Because of that I think we could offer less quality and more quantity and still get the player.

56 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Here is the question you have to ask before considering giving up KK, Guhle and Caufield. Is Crosby better over the next 3-5 years than the combined trio. IMO no he is not if KK puts up 50 ish points (20G 30A) in each year and Caufield can put up 20G and 20A that will equal the output of Sid and that is without factoring in speed, age, contract value or Guhle and what he brings. Plus the trio will be better longer. For me the only deal that makes sense is Danault + Armia + Edmundson or Kulak + Struble + 2021 1st and a 2nd. It might be more of a quantity package but there is still value there plus we would be the only team bidding so it's kind of a take it or leave it type of scenario. Because of that I think we could offer less quality and more quantity and still get the player.

There is always more value in getting production from one player than having spread out. Crosby doesn't replace the 3 players, Crosby + 2 other players, whoever they may be, replaces the 3 players. Second, I'm as excited as anyone about our prospects, but MANY prospects don't pan out. All one has to do is look at all the 1st round complete failures Montreal has had recently to know that. 

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

There is always more value in getting production from one player than having spread out. Crosby doesn't replace the 3 players, Crosby + 2 other players, whoever they may be, replaces the 3 players. Second, I'm as excited as anyone about our prospects, but MANY prospects don't pan out. All one has to do is look at all the 1st round complete failures Montreal has had recently to know that. 

We would definitely need to clear cap space so whether we traded Allen and a starting D man or Danault or Armia and some youth this deal would require some moving parts and do to the diminishing return on Crosby as he ages I am not sure it would be worth disrepair it would cause to our current line-up

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

KK has already proven he is an NHL calibre player, Caufield has proved everyone wrong every step of his career and somehow people  still doubt the guy leading the entire NCAA in both goals and points. Guhle is the only one of the three that there should still be questioned at this point as the other two are not long shots anymore. With every passing game they look more and more legit. Also there is no way we could do Crosby for just those three as we would have to clear 8.5 Mil off the roster as well so now you are talking maybe a package of Danault + Armia + Edmundson + KK + Caufield + Guhle + whatever else you want to include. Thanks but no thanks to that.

3 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

We would definitely need to clear cap space so whether we traded Allen and a starting D man or Danault or Armia and some youth this deal would require some moving parts and do to the diminishing return on Crosby as he ages I am not sure it would be worth disrepair it would cause to our current line-up

Since Crosby would only waive for Montreal our offer can be whatever we feel comfortable with we would be in the driver's seat in this trade. We would have to clear cap so the Pens would have to take 2 or 3 of Danault, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Edmundson, Chiarot or Kulak. 

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Since Crosby would only waive for Montreal our offer can be whatever we feel comfortable with we would be in the driver's seat in this trade. We would have to clear cap so the Pens would have to take 2 or 3 of Danault, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Edmundson, Chiarot or Kulak. 

And possibly retain salary. 

30 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

this trade is unlikely to happen but if it did they would have to retain salary

Drouin, Danault & a first or/+ Mete, for Crosby. I wouldn't do anymore for a depreciating asset. Yes, Crosby could help us now, but I wouldn't mortgage our future, which we have so painstakingly waited for. And, as claremont very astutely mentioned, " Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. "  Pittsburg could always afford to play without Crosby for long stretches, because they had Malkin.  Just like they could always play long stretches without Malkin, because they had Crosby. What if Crosby gets hurt with us? Are we going to be able to play without him for long stretches? compounded by the fact people want to give up the farm. That would set us back years again. And, as habsisme mentions, Pittsburg " seems like a sinking ship. "     So, if Pittsburg is going to do a reset or a rebuild, they can take what Bergevin offers, because Crosby will not go anywhere else and if Pittsburg feels that's not enough, then they can keep on sinking.     

48 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Drouin, Danault & a first or/+ Mete, for Crosby. I wouldn't do anymore for a depreciating asset. Yes, Crosby could help us now, but I wouldn't mortgage our future, which we have so painstakingly waited for. And, as claremont very astutely mentioned, " Sid is 1-2 concussions from the end of his career. "  Pittsburg could always afford to play without Crosby for long stretches, because they had Malkin.  Just like they could always play long stretches without Malkin, because they had Crosby. What if Crosby gets hurt with us? Are we going to be able to play without him for long stretches? compounded by the fact people want to give up the farm. That would set us back years again. And, as habsisme mentions, Pittsburg " seems like a sinking ship. "     So, if Pittsburg is going to do a reset or a rebuild, they can take what Bergevin offers, because Crosby will not go anywhere else and if Pittsburg feels that's not enough, then they can keep on sinking.     

Exactly

16 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

https://www.gohabsgo.com/articles/sidney-crosby-to-the-montreal-canadiens/?fbclid=IwAR3a3NZKr640-iKdOg0A_GdD4IQZSoo8LmAzgvSRZMvNflkSsOIRxSXvb50

Would you do this trade?

Crosby for:

Philip Danault, Victor Mete, and a first round pick

Optional: throw in or replace someone with Drouin

imho, if (and thats a big if) Pittsburgh was considering trading crosby i think you'd have to include either JK or Suzuki.  I realize Danault is a fair bit younger than Sid but even then you're giving up probably 4-5 more elite (or close to elite at the end) under-contract years.  Thats not replaceable by an excellent 2 way centre, a young dman and a pick.

My guess if you wanted Crosby and Pittsburgh could get over the idea of him not retiring a Pen, then the deal would have to be something like this:

JK, Tatar, Mete, Edmundson, 1st, Prospect

for 

Crosby

I just dont see any way it doesnt gut our team and for that reason I wouldnt make any trade for Sid

Forget the Cosby rumours, Pittsburg has as much chance for the cup as the habs. 

I do like the rumours though .. Mete for Jake Virtanen

We would be pretty nasty on the right side, Anderson one shift, Gallager the next and Virtanen next. I would love it. Plus all 3 have the potential for 25 to 35 goals.

33 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Forget the Cosby rumours, Pittsburg has as much chance for the cup as the habs. 

I do like the rumours though .. Mete for Jake Virtanen

We would be pretty nasty on the right side, Anderson one shift, Gallager the next and Virtanen next. I would love it. Plus all 3 have the potential for 25 to 35 goals.

You'd have to add to that a fair bit to get Virtanen I think.  Salary wise they are quite a bit different too.   Would be a great add but I dont know what else they'd want in addition to Mete. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

imho, if (and thats a big if) Pittsburgh was considering trading crosby i think you'd have to include either JK or Suzuki.  I realize Danault is a fair bit younger than Sid but even then you're giving up probably 4-5 more elite (or close to elite at the end) under-contract years.  Thats not replaceable by an excellent 2 way centre, a young dman and a pick.

My guess if you wanted Crosby and Pittsburgh could get over the idea of him not retiring a Pen, then the deal would have to be something like this:

JK, Tatar, Mete, Edmundson, 1st, Prospect

for 

Crosby

I just dont see any way it doesnt gut our team and for that reason I wouldnt make any trade for Sid

Then we don't do it.

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You'd have to add to that a fair bit to get Virtanen I think.  Salary wise they are quite a bit different too.   Would be a great add but I dont know what else they'd want in addition to Mete. 

Just for salary alone, we would have to add. Virtanen has one foot out the door. Mete is plenty enough. Couver would have to retain the difference.

10 hours ago, electron58 said:

And everyone knows it's open season for head shots on Hab's players. 

I can't provide a source, I read this somewhere else. 

"**BREAKING**
the agents of Frolik, Fleury and Poehling have confirmed they think it would be in the best interest of both parties for Habs to trade the players to another team. .."

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"**BREAKING**
the agents of Frolik, Fleury and Poehling have confirmed they think it would be in the best interest of both parties for Habs to trade the players to another team. .."

Frolik just went through waivers, nobody took him! Already I have doubts about whoever is saying this

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

"**BREAKING**

Bogus. Starting to wonder if TSN story is bogus. Slow news day(s) for TSN?