The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

Pierre Lebrun said he believes Habs have another move (at least) they will make... as I said in other threads, add Staal, maybe have the potential to add Caufield, tight against the cap, need help at left D... it points to another trade to deal a forward and maybe other assets to go after a LHD. Most likely target is Ekholm, but here's hoping it's Dunn or someone else.

58 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If this deal happens,,,, where exactly does he slot in? I would guess that Evans becomes the odd man out. If it means KK or Nick being moved down the lineup (4th line) then that IMO is a travesty.

I assume this means Evans goes down yes. 

I cant imagine DD playing Staal ahead of JK, Suzuki or danault honestly.  Id be worried about it with Julien but as we've seen with Perry, DD seems to understand a guy like this is great if you manage his time/matchups.   Staal obviously isnt elite any more but i think its better than the 10 points in 30 games we've seen this year.  Last year he had 47 points in 66 games. I think 1 point every 2 games is probably not unreasonable for the rest of the year. Thats valuable in the bottom 6 and better than what Evans can bring right now. 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre Lebrun said he believes Habs have another move (at least) they will make... as I said in other threads, add Staal, maybe have the potential to add Caufield, tight against the cap, need help at left D... it points to another trade to deal a forward and maybe other assets to go after a LHD. Most likely target is Ekholm, but here's hoping it's Dunn or someone else.

It will be interesting to see.  MB could try moving Tatar, or maybe he feels like Staal adds enough experience at centre that we can move Danault.  Definitely some options.  

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I dont know how we have the cap space to add stall, i really thought we would do nothing cause of the cap

not a bad trade, we have plently of picks, not giving up much

For sure. Adding staal to this roster improves us (and the cost was mid picks) so its a decent move.   The sabres retain half his salary so his hit is only $1.6m

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I also think Stall COULD be someone we re-sign if we're moving on from Danault

Or we trade Danault in a package for a LD ... let Staal walk in the summer, and bank on Poehling taking over the 3C spot with Suzuki/KK in the top two spots

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I also think Stall COULD be someone we re-sign if we're moving on from Danault

5 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Or we trade Danault in a package for a LD ... let Staal walk in the summer, and bank on Poehling taking over the 3C spot with Suzuki/KK in the top two spots

Yeah i was wondering about this too. 

Imagine you're MB and you are trying to acquire a LHD but one of the key pieces they want is Danault... you cant very well run Suzuki-JK-Evans_Poehling. But now you've added Staal it gives a little more flexibility.  Also gives MB more leverage in the negotiations with Danault this offseason if need be. 

17 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I hear Poehling is playing well in Laval

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I hear Poehling is playing well in Laval

And Vejdemo.   None of them are top 6 material right now but I think at least 1 should be capable in our bottom 6 role.  If we are worried im sure we can sign a centre this summer. Getzlaf, Statsny, Perraault, Bjugstad, Granlund, Iafallo (and many others) are all options that could work in our bottom 6 on a 1 year deal. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This makes the most sense. Excess number of forwards and with Caufield coming, we need to move out a forward, with Mete and draft picks for an upgrade on D. Personally, I don't think it's Ekholm.

19 minutes ago, electron58 said:

This makes the most sense. Excess number of forwards and with Caufield coming, we need to move out a forward, with Mete and draft picks for an upgrade on D. Personally, I don't think it's Ekholm.

I would be surprised if it was Ekholm but I bet we get some more help on D too. it would be great to get rid of Byron due to his contract and frankly Lehks has not done much at all this year same with Armia we could offer a few bundles it will be interesting to see what it takes to get what we need.

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I would be surprised if it was Ekholm but I bet we get some more help on D too. it would be great to get rid of Byron due to his contract and frankly Lehks has not done much at all this year same with Armia we could offer a few bundles it will be interesting to see what it takes to get what we need.

I wonder if Byron has any actual value if we retained salary. I know I would LOVE to have Byron at 1.7 million. I would only do it if it could bring back a good asset though

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i was wondering about this too. 

Imagine you're MB and you are trying to acquire a LHD but one of the key pieces they want is Danault... you cant very well run Suzuki-JK-Evans_Poehling. But now you've added Staal it gives a little more flexibility.  Also gives MB more leverage in the negotiations with Danault this offseason if need be. 

Staal is 36 and 37 in October - I suspect based on his statistics and contributions, this is his last season - he’s a ufa next year and at best he’s coming back at league minimum. He won a cup in 2006 so what more does he have to accomplish beyond the love of the game - not sure there’s much leverage there? 

12 minutes ago, claremont said:

Staal is 36 and 37 in October - I suspect based on his statistics and contributions, this is his last season - he’s a ufa next year and at best he’s coming back at league minimum. He won a cup in 2006 so what more does he have to accomplish beyond the love of the game - not sure there’s much leverage there? 

The leverage is the band-aid aspect.   In his prime Staal was elite. He's lost a step sure, but he's still (like Perry) an effective player in bursts.  He may or may not retire this offseason (if not, like you said, probably $750k-1.5m is the max) but if he does have another year in him it represents a year of bottom 6 help.  Meanwhile its another year of development for all our young centres - Suzuki & JK & Evans yes, but also Poehling and Vejdemo etc. 

Sure, we could also go look at one of the many UFA band aid solutions but the point is that it shows Danault's people MB is at least considering another option.  Im honestly not sure if MB is considering moving or resigning PD.  Will be interesting to see. If Staal plays well, this certainly may influence the decision. 

The caveat to all this is that Marc Bergevin clearly thinks he can win a Cup this year, which I don't see happening. Yes, we're in a weak division, but we really haven't shown we can even win this division, never mind marching through to a championship. That said, I'll put myself inside Bergevin's head. The most likely scenario is that MB acquired Staal as a veteran rental for a playoff run and that he's not thinking of using this as a stepping stone for another trade? Why? Because he's never done it before. He's been in need of a LHD for a while and a center before that, and he's never really traded for positional need. Most of his trades are swaps of guys at the same position or involve picks, and the few that were a swap of position like Drouin-Sergachev, were in the opposite direction of need. I don't think MB will sell Danault or Tatar as rentals to other teams, and other teams selling rentals aren't going to want impending UFA's. So the question becomes whether MB swings an actual hockey trade dealing a position of strength for a position of weakness. I think the odds we see Danault leave are low, even though he may use Staal as a bargaining hip for a new contract. But if Caufield signs, I think there's an outside shot he looks at moving Tatar. Much more likely he's moving Armia or Lehkonen (assuming he still can't move Byron) to create cap and roster space.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:36 PM, electron58 said:

The Canadian federal government is expected to approve a seven-day quarantine for NHL players from American-based teams traded to Canadian-based teams.  I wonder if this jump starts things.

The federal government has waived its mandatory 14-day quarantine period for players acquired by Canadian NHL teams from U.S. clubs “under national interest grounds” ahead of the league’s April 12 trade deadline.

Two sources told The Canadian Press players will now observe a seven-day quarantine upon arrival in the country and be subject to daily testing for COVID-19. Players will then be eligible to suit up for their new teams while continuing to undergo daily testing the following week. It's official. 

5 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

MB doesn't plan that far ahead lol. When was the last time he planned more than put the current season? In 18 he drafted KK because we had a desperate need at center. 19 was LHD, 20 a scoring winger. His trades and signings over the last 3 years were all just to improve that years team not really worry about the long term affects. Even Anderson, Toffoli, Allen and Edmundson were to improve this year's team because of our play in the bubble. MB trading for Staal is simply a depth move for a playoff push.

With the quarantine being reduced to 7 days and Staal added and potentially adding Caufield we need to fill that last major hole at 1 LHD. Send St. Louis 2 2nds for Dunn tonight and have all 3 players join the Habs by next Saturday night. With us still in shutdown til Tuesday or Wednesday that means we would only be without the 3 additions for 2 or 3 games. DO IT NOW MB!!!

On 3/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, BigTed3 said:

The caveat to all this is that Marc Bergevin clearly thinks he can win a Cup this year, which I don't see happening. Yes, we're in a weak division, but we really haven't shown we can even win this division, never mind marching through to a championship. That said, I'll put myself inside Bergevin's head. The most likely scenario is that MB acquired Staal as a veteran rental for a playoff run and that he's not thinking of using this as a stepping stone for another trade? Why? Because he's never done it before. He's been in need of a LHD for a while and a center before that, and he's never really traded for positional need. Most of his trades are swaps of guys at the same position or involve picks, and the few that were a swap of position like Drouin-Sergachev, were in the opposite direction of need. I don't think MB will sell Danault or Tatar as rentals to other teams, and other teams selling rentals aren't going to want impending UFA's. So the question becomes whether MB swings an actual hockey trade dealing a position of strength for a position of weakness. I think the odds we see Danault leave are low, even though he may use Staal as a bargaining hip for a new contract. But if Caufield signs, I think there's an outside shot he looks at moving Tatar. Much more likely he's moving Armia or Lehkonen (assuming he still can't move Byron) to create cap and roster space.

You have to wonder if he cant see that adding in a top pair LHD would make a big difference.  Im not sure who is available out there without gutting your team but if you could get a guy (even a band-aid solution for a couple of years) for Tatar + Mete + pick... maybe he does it? 

According to LeBrun, The offer from winnepeg for Eklhom was/is:

Heinola, Perrault and a 1st for Ekholm.

I would say, forget Ekholm & go after Heinola!    I have no idea what winterpeg would want but if there's an opportunity to add Heinola, im definitely exploring it if im MB. 

I expect Bergeron to be very active. Danault may go to Pittsburgh. Weird feeling. 

For draft picks  and then some picks and Tartar will be offered for a Premium dman  

Staal will then get third line C  

and Byron or Weal will join the bottom 6 to fill Tartar  

in the end the long term will look brighter  

but short term I see it being a negative abd the Habs missing the playoffs unless Carey plays like the Price can  

I'm not convinced MB will be dumping our UFA's. He just paid to acquire one and his thinking might be why not keep our own for the playoffs? Doesn't make sense to sell one for picks unless we're going to use those picks to fill a hole. Can't see him selling unless we go on a losing streak from now to the deadline.

1 hour ago, dreegking said:

I expect Bergeron to be very active. Danault may go to Pittsburgh. Weird feeling. 

For draft picks  and then some picks and Tartar will be offered for a Premium dman  

but short term I see it being a negative abd the Habs missing the playoffs unless Carey plays like the Price can  

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm not convinced MB will be dumping our UFA's. He just paid to acquire one and his thinking might be why not keep our own for the playoffs? Doesn't make sense to sell one for picks unless we're going to use those picks to fill a hole. Can't see him selling unless we go on a losing streak from now to the deadline.

Same. Id be pretty surprised if MB dealt both Tatar and Danault also. Maybe one but Id be surprised if both went and i dont think either would go unless we were bringing back a roster player.  

2 hours ago, dreegking said:

I was thinking along these lines just the other day. This time of year it always seems so black and white, buyers and sellers. And the odd team that buys just to try and get in to the playoffs. Why don’t we see more of both? If a team, like the Habs, are in a situation where you have a couple of needs, as well as a couple of FA’s that would be automatic sells if they were on the outside looking in, that aren’t necessarily filling a need at the moment, why not flip’em for assets while simultaneously trading assets to fill actual needs? Nashville might not have any interest in either Tatar or Danault, but the reported asking price for Ekholm would be a whole lot more palatable if we we’re paying assets gained from trading one or both of these guys. Why not trade Danault and Tatar for as much as we can get, circle back to the idea of adding Glendenning and Ekholm, call up Caufield to fill Tatar’s gap? Or give Poehling a shot at stepping in?

4 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I was thinking along these lines just the other day. This time of year it always seems so black and white, buyers and sellers. And the odd team that buys just to try and get in to the playoffs. Why don’t we see more of both? If a team, like the Habs, are in a situation where you have a couple of needs, as well as a couple of FA’s that would be automatic sells if they were on the outside looking in, that aren’t necessarily filling a need at the moment, why not flip’em for assets while simultaneously trading assets to fill actual needs? Nashville might not have any interest in either Tatar or Danault, but the reported asking price for Ekholm would be a whole lot more palatable if we we’re paying assets gained from trading one or both of these guys. Why not trade Danault and Tatar for as much as we can get, circle back to the idea of adding Glendenning and Ekholm, call up Caufield to fill Tatar’s gap? Or give Poehling a shot at stepping in?

I am hoping MB might be active, but the head says he likes to believe in his players, and from last years bubble performance that anything is possible. I don’t really like that mindset as you’re kind of hoping for upsets and resets e.g. Tatar Danault and Armia all picking up their games. I’d love for us to pick up a promising prospect for one of them e.g. Danault for Heinola but may be unrealistic 

• H_T_L locked this topic