The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/just-exactly-marc-bergevin-sleeve/

The Canadiens are believed to be in on Anders Lee (potentially at seven x $8 million, but Chicago has been lurking there, too). They’ve also had interest in Wayne Simmonds and Jake Gardiner. But, with Nashville adding Duchene and preparing a lucrative extension for Roman Josi, I’m wondering if Montreal is looking at Kyle Turris. Bergevin has liked him in the past. The Predators will want to move him. And, he’s a lot better than he showed last season. – Elliotte Friedman

Honestly, I don't want any of them. I especially don't see the need for 30-year old Kyle Turris with an AAV of 6 million for the next 5 seasons when we have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, and Suzuki who can/should play center.

Trading Deslauriers/Shaw for picks gave us an additional ~5 million to work with, let's hope we put that money to good use.

44 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/just-exactly-marc-bergevin-sleeve/

Honestly, I don't want any of them. I especially don't see the need for 30-year old Kyle Turris with an AAV of 6 million for the next 5 seasons when we have Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling, and Suzuki who can/should play center.

Trading Deslauriers/Shaw for picks gave us an additional ~5 million to work with, let's hope we put that money to good use.

I thought for sure it would be Duchene... other than him I have to agree on not wanting Turris

Canucks rumored to be signing Benn, and Myers reportedly will come in at around 5 years for 6M AAV... lower than anticipated. Maybe that means Gardiner will come in lower than expected too. I would take him if he too hit 5 years and a 6M AAV. Not expecting it though.

Not sure if I missed someone posting these from last night, but Donskoi expected to sign for 4 years with Avs... they made an offer to Panarin as well, but with Burakovsky and Donskoi in the mix, not sure where they plan on putting everyone...

Nyqist rumored to be leaning to CBJ, while Marcus Johanson rumored to be looking at Buf or Clb.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Canucks rumored to be signing Benn, and Myers reportedly will come in at around 5 years for 6M AAV... lower than anticipated. Maybe that means Gardiner will come in lower than expected too. I would take him if he too hit 5 years and a 6M AAV. Not expecting it though.

No question, I'd pay that for Gardiner in a heartbeat. So would the Leafs and many other teams I guess...

11 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

No question, I'd pay that for Gardiner in a heartbeat. So would the Leafs and many other teams I guess...

Leafs would need to clear more cap space first though... after the Zaitsev/Brown trade, they have about 7.5M left but only 10 forwards signed. Even if they fill out their roster with minimum wage players, it would leave them with about 5M in space plus another 5M that they'll get in relief from Horton going on LTIR. But then add Marner (or the ability to fend off an offersheet) and there's no space for Gardiner.

An interesting solution to this for the Habs: if you want Gardiner and you're worried the Leafs are the biggest competition, but they need to make another trade to get space, then offer Gardiner 5 years x 6.5M or something like that AND at the same time offersheet Marner to 3-5 years at 10.4M... force the Leafs to pay Marner now (assuming Marner accepts to sign your offersheet) and then have to scramble to clear space for Gardiner. Either they won't be able to do it or it forces them into a bad trade (? Kadri)...

Dreger says several teams strongly considering offer sheets for Marner, Aho, and Connor among others... I still have doubts it will happen unless a team strikes out on the UFA market first, but have to guess we're as likely a candidate as anyone to be on that list of potential teams considering things.

I think Marner is holding out for Mathews type money and the Leafs are hoping to keep it under 10. Really don't see him considering an offer sheet for anything less then 11+. At this point it seems we'll be looking at table scraps this afternoon. IMO that MB needs to save face after clearing that Cap room. He's almost painted himself into a corner now whereas any signing other then a Duchene will be criticized. At least if he attempts an offer sheet he can argue he did his best but it didn't work out

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

An interesting solution to this for the Habs: if you want Gardiner and you're worried the Leafs are the biggest competition, but they need to make another trade to get space, then offer Gardiner 5 years x 6.5M or something like that AND at the same time offersheet Marner to 3-5 years at 10.4M... force the Leafs to pay Marner now (assuming Marner accepts to sign your offersheet) and then have to scramble to clear space for Gardiner. Either they won't be able to do it or it forces them into a bad trade (? Kadri)...

Sneaky, sneaky. It's the Leafs, I wouldn't mind a little scheming at all :lol:

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think Marner is holding out for Mathews type money and the Leafs are hoping to keep it under 10. Really don't see him considering an offer sheet for anything less then 11+. At this point it seems we'll be looking at table scraps this afternoon. IMO that MB needs to save face after clearing that Cap room. He's almost painted himself into a corner now whereas any signing other then a Duchene will be criticized. At least if he attempts an offer sheet he can argue he did his best but it didn't work out

Yeah, it looks a little strange. Either MB has already a tentative deal in place with one of the UFAs (Lee? Gardiner?), or he's truly willing to prepare an offer sheet and thus needed the Cap space. Maybe he's just using the Cap space as an offer sheet 'threat' in negotiations? Trading both Delo and Shaw for picks seems weird if the goal is to compete now, so there has to be something in the works.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, it looks a little strange. Either MB has already a tentative deal in place with one of the UFAs (Lee? Gardiner?), or he's truly willing to prepare an offer sheet and thus needed the Cap space. Maybe he's just using the Cap space as an offer sheet 'threat' in negotiations? Trading both Delo and Shaw for picks seems weird if the goal is to compete now, so there has to be something in the works.

Could it also be the possibility of a trade maybe with a team like Vegas, to help them get a few pricey contracts of their books?

Just now, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Could it also be the possibility of a trade maybe with a team like Vegas, to help them get a few pricey contracts of their books?

Sure, that's another possibility – taking advantage of teams that are struggling with the lower Cap. But that advantage better be real good seeing as we gave up on Shaw. I've never been a huge fan but he was one of our best players last season and his production will need to be replaced, not sure Suzuki or Poehling can do that yet.

3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Sure, that's another possibility – taking advantage of teams that are struggling with the lower Cap. But that advantage better be real good seeing as we gave up on Shaw. I've never been a huge fan but he was one of our best players last season and his production will need to be replaced, not sure Suzuki or Poehling can do that yet.

The question is... what if anything does Vegas have to offer that could interest MB?

1 minute ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

The question is... what if anything does Vegas have to offer that could interest MB?

I wouldn't mind Alex Tuch, doubt they're willing to trade him though ;)

9 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

According to CapFriendly, the Maple Leafs now have $11.42 million in cap space, with Nathan Horton's $5.3 million still available to shelve on LTIR.  Ceci and Mitch Marner are the team's only remaining restricted free agents. 

You have to figure at least 5 for Ceci and now another mill for Spezza leaving them just about 11 mill for Marner with  big holes still on D

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

According to CapFriendly, the Maple Leafs now have $11.42 million in cap space, with Nathan Horton's $5.3 million still available to shelve on LTIR.  Ceci and Mitch Marner are the team's only remaining restricted free agents. 

You have to figure at least 5 for Ceci and now another mill for Spezza leaving them just about 11 mill for Marner with  big holes still on D

Yep, Spezza is apparently signing for the league minimum. Ceci should get ~4.5M for sure, so they do have the money for re-signing Marner. Their D looks brutal though, I'm guessing they'll have to rely on their D prospect Sandin to be ready to play this season (which is another ~900k against the Cap).

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Ben Hutton from the Nucks as an option for the LD spot??? More goals then Gardiner last year ( less overall points though). Could be a less risky (shorter term) cheaper alternative.

I would be okay with this wouldn't you?

6 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yep, Spezza is apparently signing for the league minimum. Ceci should get ~4.5M for sure, so they do have the money for re-signing Marner. Their D looks brutal though, I'm guessing they'll have to rely on their D prospect Sandin to be ready to play this season (which is another ~900k against the Cap).

It's a lot tighter then it looks. A 7 year 12 mill offer sheet would be tough to match. Kadri would need to be moved to open up some room 

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's a lot tighter then it looks. A 7 year 12 mill offer sheet would be tough to match. Kadri would need to be moved to open up some room 

12M for Marner wouldn't be too bad a deal, all things considered. I just don't think Bergevin is willing to trade away those 4 first-round picks, especially with next year's draft being held in Montreal. We could always trade other players for another 1st rounder though.

Just now, ChiLla said:

12M for Marner wouldn't be too bad a deal, all things considered. I just don't think Bergevin is willing to trade away those 4 first-round picks, especially with next year's draft being held in Montreal. We could always trade other players for another 1st rounder though.

That's been pretty much my argument too. First rounders aren't impossible to get. Hell,,,, we just got a 4th for DLO.:lol:

• H_T_L locked this topic