The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

Unfortunately, I don't really see any sort of quick fix for the current losing streak. I know talk radio is going to be clamoring for a trade for a top pairing defender or something even sillier. I'm sure there will be countless calls for Claude Julien and/or Marc Bergevin to be fired. For better or worse, I expect Bergevin to survive until the season is definitely lost... Which might come sooner rather than later if we continue to pile up losses. I can't imagine the next two games making things any easier on us. We could be at 10-straight losses before the weekend.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Unfortunately, I don't really see any sort of quick fix for the current losing streak. I know talk radio is going to be clamoring for a trade for a top pairing defender or something even sillier. I'm sure there will be countless calls for Claude Julien and/or Marc Bergevin to be fired. For better or worse, I expect Bergevin to survive until the season is definitely lost... Which might come sooner rather than later if we continue to pile up losses. I can't imagine the next two games making things any easier on us. We could be at 10-straight losses before the weekend.

Agreed.  Great article by the always thoughtful Jared Book here today: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/12/2/20991235/montreal-canadiens-habs-losing-coaching-change-firing-gm-marc-bergevin-richardson-julien-ducharme

I honestly think it's time management realized you can't have it both ways.   You can't rebuild/retool while also aiming to make the playoffs.     With the way league parity is these days you have to commit to one or the other.    You sacrifice 3-4 years of playoffs for 4-5 years making them/possibly being a contender.

Instead, the Habs are stuck in this limbo state ... where we're in a rebuild but almost making the playoffs and getting lesser picks that would help that rebuild.

As much as I think Carey has been our best goalie since Patric Roy, its clear from his tenure that for many reasons we are never going to win a cup with him.    Our window to do that was pre-2014, before Kreider injured his leg and when he coincidentally started to go downhill.   And at 32 years of age, his play is only going to keep regressing.    Any hope we had that he would carry us there has long faded and only getting dimmer with every game.    And his and Weber's contracts are just weights strangling this franchise.

So having said that, I really wish the Habs would just embrace the rebuild ... shed Price, shed Weber ... get as many picks with veterans as you can in the next 2 drafts.   Aim for that 1st overall this year if we can.    We are not going to the finals anytime soon with this roster and finishing in the middle of the pack just perpetuates that.

We should just be tanking right now and at the deadline unload as many players over 25 as we can.  (maybe keep Tatar, Danault, Gallagher till next deadline).

The plan is to do anything to distract the fans from realizing that MB and CJ are clueless about today's NHL, watching them work is like watching a kid repeated try and put a square peg in a round hole.  Lets face it, Hudon, Leks and our whole 4th line are AHL players at best.  Send them down to where they belong and bring up some players that will actually put some work into wanting to stay.  

Better yet send CJ and MB packing and begin the rebuild, it's obvious this team is not built to succeed.

27 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah, just read about Kinkaid ... wonder what the plan is?

His fate was sealed when they played Price in that recent B2B. It was clear then that they had no faith in him. Not sure what the plan is going forward. Maybe they just send him down to play some games and call him back up. Maybe the Leafs claim him buy I don't think they have the room.

27 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

The plan is to do anything to distract the fans from realizing that MB and CJ are clueless about today's NHL, watching them work is like watching a kid repeated try and put a square peg in a round hole.  Lets face it, Hudon, Leks and our whole 4th line are AHL players at best.  Send them down to where they belong and bring up some players that will actually put some work into wanting to stay.  

Better yet send CJ and MB packing and begin the rebuild, it's obvious this team is not built to succeed.

I disagree about Lehkonen.    He's on pace for 18 goals 18a ... what you expect from a 3rd line checking forward.   He's one of our better PKers etc.    Most teams would want him on their 3rd line.

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I honestly think it's time management realized you can't have it both ways.   You can't rebuild/retool while also aiming to make the playoffs.     With the way league parity is these days you have to commit to one or the other.    You sacrifice 3-4 years of playoffs for 4-5 years making them/possibly being a contender.

Instead, the Habs are stuck in this limbo state ... where we're in a rebuild but almost making the playoffs and getting lesser picks that would help that rebuild.

As much as I think Carey has been our best goalie since Patric Roy, its clear from his tenure that for many reasons we are never going to win a cup with him.    Our window to do that was pre-2014, before Kreider injured his leg and when he coincidentally started to go downhill.   And at 32 years of age, his play is only going to keep regressing.    Any hope we had that he would carry us there has long faded and only getting dimmer with every game.    And his and Weber's contracts are just weights strangling this franchise.

So having said that, I really wish the Habs would just embrace the rebuild ... shed Price, shed Weber ... get as many picks with veterans as you can in the next 2 drafts.   Aim for that 1st overall this year if we can.    We are not going to the finals anytime soon with this roster and finishing in the middle of the pack just perpetuates that.

We should just be tanking right now and at the deadline unload as many players over 25 as we can.  (maybe keep Tatar, Danault, Gallagher till next deadline).

I wonder if you might finally get your wish after this season. I think it's becoming clear that the team has not improved from last season. We'll likely miss the post-season again. I wonder if, FINALLY, Molson might can Bergevin should that happen. Perhaps the next G.M. might have the gumption to actually rebuild the team, shedding Price, Weber, and Petry in the process. The contracts for Price and Weber are both starting to feel more and more like anchors every day. I worry that it will only get worse if Bergevin is allowed to continue on after this season, probably offering some stupid eight-year extension to Max Domi.

And to think we could have had Brady Tkachuk, I would really like to see us tank TBH as much as it kills me to say that.  Clean out the entire office staff from the janitorial staff right to the GM.  I wouldn't care if you played for MTL and won 5 cups if your part of the staff your out the door.  I think the biggest problem in MTL is that the fans are so fickle and demand a winning team every year and we hire way too many former players.  Who cares if you speak french and won a cup in the 70's, this is a whole different league

Where's the fight with this team? We'd lost 7 straight, you're playing arguably your biggest rival in their barn and you have Gally apologizing to Pasta during a faceoff only to have Pasta push you around. Then he pushes your captain after drawing a penalty seconds later and he's waiting to get smacked by the 3 Canadiens surrounding him and then what happens? Yup little to nothing, I'd say that above all shows the lack of leadership and fight in this team. 

Throw down with Pasta, doesn't have to be a drop your gloves fight but in the very least take him down and take him to the box with you. Get that guy off the ice.... or you do nothing and lose again.

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Kincaide just got waived and they should of added Weal, Hudon and Cousins to that list.

I still think Cousins is fine on the 4th line.  Ask him to play higher & the mistakes will come. He cant handle those matchups, despite his best effort.  The other 2, im pretty much in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

His fate was sealed when they played Price in that recent B2B. It was clear then that they had no faith in him. Not sure what the plan is going forward. Maybe they just send him down to play some games and call him back up. Maybe the Leafs claim him buy I don't think they have the room.

Agree, it was pretty clear the team had lost faith playing in front Kincaide.  Too bad, I think he's well liked.

Will be interesting to see what happens next though.  Speculation is that Lindgren gets called up but I dont think Julien had much more faith in Charlie than he did Kincaid - although from all accounts Lindgren has looked better the last couple of weeks.  Would they leapfrog everyone & bring up Primeau? To this mess?

I guess the third option  is that MB is working on a trade that includes a backup goalie in the package although with our cap space there's no reason they couldnt have announced the trade & then waived Kincaid. 

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I still think Cousins is fine on the 4th line.  Ask him to play higher & the mistakes will come. He cant handle those matchups, despite his best effort.  The other 2, im pretty much in the same boat. 

Agree, it was pretty clear the team had lost faith playing in front Kincaide.  Too bad, I think he's well liked.

Will be interesting to see what happens next though.  Speculation is that Lindgren gets called up but I dont think Julien had much more faith in Charlie than he did Kincaid - although from all accounts Lindgren has looked better the last couple of weeks.  Would they leapfrog everyone & bring up Primeau? To this mess?

I guess the third option  is that MB is working on a trade that includes a backup goalie in the package although with our cap space there's no reason they couldnt have announced the trade & then waived Kincaid. 

Yeah... I'm doubtful Lindgren will provide any relief for Price in Montreal. I'd rather we give Primeau or McNiven a shot as the back-up for a week or two. It's not going to stop the bleeding, but it's always fun to see prospects get some NHL games.

30 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... I'm doubtful Lindgren will provide any relief for Price in Montreal. I'd rather we give Primeau or McNiven a shot as the back-up for a week or two. It's not going to stop the bleeding, but it's always fun to see prospects get some NHL games.

You might end up total destroying them by playing them behind this defense. Imagine being called up, play a game and face numerous oddman rushes. You get 4 or 5 and they will start questioning themselves before their career even had a chance to take off.

29 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

You might end up total destroying them by playing them behind this defense. Imagine being called up, play a game and face numerous oddman rushes. You get 4 or 5 and they will start questioning themselves before their career even had a chance to take off.

Yeah... I'm doubtful anyone's career will get destroyed by playing back-up to Price for a week or two. McNiven, specifically, needs to see more game time. Despite dominating in the ECHL, he's getting frozen out, apparently, because he's with NJ's affiliate and they have too many goaltenders. Not saying that has to be with Montreal, but he should really, at least, be in Laval instead of Lindgren.

21 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

13 games from Tues. until Dec. 31.

3 B2Bs

4 home games.

7 road games in a row over 14 days.

Only 2 games are against teams below us in the overall standings.

The stretch of road games might actually be good for the team. Get away from home where you can keep the game simpler. The Boston game was much better defensively basically no odd man rushes. A bad penalty led to a goal to one of the top PP in the league along with a beautiful shot from the league leading scorer. 

• H_T_L locked this topic