The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cole "Goal" Caufield

campabee82

1 minute ago, arpem-can said:

Is that true?...wow already has a record under his belt lol...he's the real deal 

That's according to TSN 690.

6 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I wonder if he has changed any of the naysayers minds yet. Or do they think it's too early.  He could have had a few more, too. He's gonna be a good one. 👍

Poehling had a hat trick his first game here. Look where that's got him.

Yes.  But CC has been involved in every game. He regularly gets open, and the guys are just beginning to realize that. He's getting more high danger passes now. He's performed & exceeded at every level.  We've been almost pleading that he get into the lineup.   And he hasn't disappointed.  He plays a 200 foot game, and is only going to get better.  All this after we have so many regulars out of the lineup. 

20 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Poehling had a hat trick his first game here. Look where that's got him.

I do think Poehling will be in the line up next season. He may not be a 30 goal scorer but I could see a strong 20 goal player.

9 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I do think Poehling will be in the line up next season. He may not be a 30 goal scorer but I could see a strong 20 goal player.

Also agreed. I think a lot of us have been quick to write him off. He had a disappointing follow up to his debut (hard not to), but that second year can be tough for a lot of young players. He’s since looked to be developing quite well. I wouldn’t mind at all if he were to replace Staal before the season is up. But even if we have to wait until next season, I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do

14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Only  rookie to score 2 B2B OT goals in history of NHL

3rd person ever to score their first 2 NHL goals in OT. Someone in 1930 (didn't catch the name), and Brent Seabrook in 2005

48 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The top line has a new look

Anderson-Danault-Caufield

Good to see CC getting the opportunity to play on the top line just wish they would give him a more creative center

I don't know that we really have a top line. It's just nice to see him getting chances, being on the PP, scoring in OT. It's all good right now!

28 minutes ago, Egee 53 said:

3rd person ever to score their first 2 NHL goals in OT. Someone in 1930 (didn't catch the name), and Brent Seabrook in 2005

Probably another blackhawk, duncan keith.  he was playing then, right?  :4224:

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't know that we really have a top line. It's just nice to see him getting chances, being on the PP, scoring in OT. It's all good right now!

For sure. I think they actually like CC with Danault (or Evans) because they play a very simple game.   a guy like Suzuki and JK may be CC's centre long-term but right now the kid has to adapt to the (fairly large) changes from NCAA to the NHL (gap and timing especially) so having a guy next to you who plays a more simple game (and can cover your butt) is probably ideal for Caufield.  I think they would have rather kept him in the minors for a few more weeks but sometimes these 'forced decisions' end up working well... 

39 minutes ago, Egee 53 said:

Ya, just read that, but were they B2Bs, or consecutive games?

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The top line has a new look

Anderson-Danault-Caufield

Good to see CC getting the opportunity to play on the top line just wish they would give him a more creative center

For sure!  Either KK or NS. The kid is always getting open. They need someone that sees the ice really well to capitalize on these opportunities.  Right now, Petry seems to be looking for him, and has set him up nicely.  Not sure who set CC up when he hit the crossbar, but if you have a "not so secret weapon" you have to exploit that.  Danault isn't the greatest passer but maybe with Anderson, we'll see some 2 on 1's.

Cole Caufield tonight became the 1st @CanadiensMTL
rookie to score OT goals in consecutive games. He also joined Hall of Famers Didier Pitre (4 gms in 1917-18), Joe Malone ('17-18) & Aurel Joliat (1924-25) as the only Habs with 2 game winners in their first 5 career GP in the NHL

I think the earlier record mentioned was for scoring his first two goals in OT. The others may have matched that feat ( 2 consecutive OT goals) but it doesn't mention if it was their first career goals.

For example,,,, in his first year 67/68, Lemaire played 69 games and scored 22 goals before the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think the earlier record mentioned was for scoring his first two goals in OT. The others may have matched that feat ( 2 consecutive OT goals) but it doesn't mention if it was their first career goals.

For example,,,, in his first year 67/68, Lemaire played 69 games and scored 22 goals before the playoffs.

I agree.  It was the only real documentation I could find.  The others were just people repeating facts, and I didn't want to reference those. Still looking tho.  But you seem to be pretty good at getting the actual facts. What's your secret?

29 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I agree.  It was the only real documentation I could find.  The others were just people repeating facts, and I didn't want to reference those. Still looking tho.  But you seem to be pretty good at getting the actual facts. What's your secret?

Well,,,, i'm old enough to remember pretty much all of Lemaire's career. :lol:

21 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Found thisDoesn't really say consecutive, so...........

NHL players to score each of their first two career goals in overtime:

Albert Hughes   (1930)
Brent Seabrook (2005)
Cole Caufield    (2021)

Did they have OT during the reg. season in 1930? I don't think so. There were a lot of games that ended in ties. 

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Did they have OT during the reg. season in 1930? I don't think so. There were a lot of games that ended in ties. 

NO. Regulation game OT is a Bettman era thing. That's why you have to question some of those older players matching the feat. I imagine it was pretty rare to see a rookie start his career in the playoffs and even rarer to see him score his first 2 career goals in B2B overtime games,,, if it happened at all.

38 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Well,,,, i'm old enough to remember pretty much all of Lemaire's career. :lol:

Yeah.  Me too.  Just not when he was in the minors/juniors. Do you remember when he scored that goal from just across center ice, against Tony O? They went on to win the Stanley Cup, upsetting the mighty Bruins, as well as the Black Hawks.