The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cole "Goal" Caufield

campabee82

27 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

And he just seems to be having so much fun :)

That's what I love most about having these young guys that are making an impact.  Their joy and excitement has got to be infectious.

It's infectious for sure, possibly rejuvenating even for guys like Perry or Staal :lol:

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

He knows his limitations when play is heavy along the boards and has great vision to absorb minor hits when he possibly could get crunched. He’s making great passes and keeping his shifts short with solid skating. He seems to be adequate at the defensive side. I’m just so excited about his hockey IQ and pairings with a few of our players like Suzuki. No wonder this kid has excelled at every level he’s played at with his adaptive skills and abilities 

That's what's impressing me the most actually, we knew he had a lethal shot but it's the passing and the hockey sense that I didn't expect. Like you said, he's also quite clever about avoiding the brute force of incoming hits, which was always a question mark for me before he entered the league. Turns out it shouldn't have been, he seems very aware and doesn't need to take unnecessary risks because of his hockey IQ.

39 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

It's infectious for sure, possibly rejuvenating even for guys like Perry or Staal :lol:

That's what's impressing me the most actually, we knew he had a lethal shot but it's the passing and the hockey sense that I didn't expect. Like you said, he's also quite clever about avoiding the brute force of incoming hits, which was always a question mark for me before he entered the league. Turns out it shouldn't have been, he seems very aware and doesn't need to take unnecessary risks because of his hockey IQ.

You have to give our GM credit on taking him when others passed on him. It seems to make you wonder if Jack Hughes taken #1 didn't benefit more from Caulfield on his line in the USHL then Caulfield benefitted from Hughes? 

The last Hab to wear 22 that is a comparable to CC would be Steve Shutt (SS). Steve was my favourite Hab in those days and 22 has always been my lucky number. Looking forward to a long career with this kid.

This kid is so much fun to watch, and entirely possible this could be the "elite" forward we've been searching for since I've started following the team. His speed/siftiness, hockey IQ, and scoring ability all look off the charts (the goal and its lead-up last game was something you'd expect from McDavid). The smile on his face is also great, he's having so much fun out there.

Obviously still super early, but I wonder if those "re-drafts" sites do in a few year will have him first overall?

I have been thinking about what player Caufield reminds me of. As of now, and this will probably change as he gets even better, he reminds me of Theo Fleury, the ex-Calgary player.

13 hours ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

I have been thinking about what player Caufield reminds me of. As of now, and this will probably change as he gets even better, he reminds me of Theo Fleury, the ex-Calgary player.

He reminds me more of Martin St Louis. High skill set with great vision.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, CaptWelly said:

He reminds me more of Martin St Louis. High skill set with great vision.

I thought about him, too. I even considered Henri Richard, but Caufield is more of a scorer and Henri was more of a playmaker.

7 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Like a Mike Cammaleri with a better work ethic. 

Agree.  Cammalleri had all world skills but was a somewhat selfish/lazy player.   Caufield, once he gets going, is going to be dominant, of this I am sure.  

He's also a surprisingly good playmaker and has shown some good defensive instincts (despite last night where that whole line was "off" a bit)

Dont look now, but Caufield set an NHL Record last night.

First player in NHL History to get 3 points in OT in his rookie season!

The fact he is eligible for the Calder next season (and will most likely start as our #1RW next to Suzuki and either Anderson or Toffoli) is pretty sweet. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Dont look now, but Caufield set an NHL Record last night.

First player in NHL History to get 3 points in OT in his rookie season!

The fact he is eligible for the Calder next season (and will most likely start as our #1RW next to Suzuki and either Anderson or Toffoli) is pretty sweet. 

Yep he is the real deal! I love the new line with Zuke CC and Anderson hard to contain.

3 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep he is the real deal! I love the new line with Zuke CC and Anderson hard to contain.

I feel like Suzuki is going to be close to a PPG player next year. 

I worry a little about what we're going to do on the back end (82 games will not be kind if we play our "top 4" the same way during the regular season) but up front I think we're well on our way... 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I feel like Suzuki is going to be close to a PPG player next year. 

I worry a little about what we're going to do on the back end (82 games will not be kind if we play our "top 4" the same way during the regular season) but up front I think we're well on our way... 

This has been the playoffs. I bet next season as it progresses Romanov will have a more prominent role. So I believe it will be spread out more.