The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cole "Goal" Caufield

campabee82

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

This kid should be a good player for us he has that natural goal soring touch we really need on the team.

50 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Kessel? Bossy?

That would be sweet. A natural sniper. Could definitely improve the power play. A hard & accurate shooter. Maybe in time for the playoffs?

On 2/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, campabee82 said:

Other teams fans and some Habs fans still don't believe he is even AHL quality. Not sure what the kid has to do to prove he is ligit at this point.

There's really nothing he can do to prove anything at this point - he's proven everything he can at the NCAA level but he still needs to show he can make the jump to the NHL. Thats not a slight on him, he just hasnt had the opportunity.  

The history books are full of players who were elite at various other levels but could not make the jump to the NHL and the fact he has a disadvantage (size) doesnt help.  Sure, plenty of players who were small have been elite in the NHL, just like bad skaters or players with poor hockey sense have been 50 goal men, but it still slants the journey uphill.

At this point I am cautiously optimistic he will be a  quality player for us - at worst 20-25 goals, at best 40+ - but that optimism is tempered by the fact that you "aint proven nothing" till you've done it at the NHL level. 

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Another 2 point game tonight for Caufield. 1 goal 1 assist in a 4-2 comeback win. Totals so far are 18 goals 17 assists for 35 points in 23 games.

After a 2 game mini slump, CC keeps bringing it. His Wisconsin Badgers, are moving up the rankings. Curious to see where they stand after this weekend.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, campabee82 said:

You would think he would be getting more recognition but he isn't. Other teams fans and some Habs fans still don't believe he is even AHL quality. Not sure what the kid has to do to prove he is ligit at this point.

It is USA college hockey . Nothing to get excited about until we see what he can do against pros. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Really curious to see if he joins the team when his season is over. Would porentially be a nice boost. 

I think it all depends on when the Badgers season ends, if it is a first round exit and we are in the top 3 in the division then I can see him doing the 14 day quarantine and getting a couple games with the Habs maybe as part of a rotation. If the Badgers win the Championship and we are sitting 4th or just outside the playoffs then I think he serves his quarantine then I see him going to Laval as they will only be about halfway through their season

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think it all depends on when the Badgers season ends, if it is a first round exit and we are in the top 3 in the division then I can see him doing the 14 day quarantine and getting a couple games with the Habs maybe as part of a rotation. If the Badgers win the Championship and we are sitting 4th or just outside the playoffs then I think he serves his quarantine then I see him going to Laval as they will only be about halfway through their season

Well and if he wants to go back to Uni next year. I know he's said he wants to start his pro career asap but things can change and you cant go back once you switch.  

Will be interesting to see. 

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

Well and if he wants to go back to Uni next year. I know he's said he wants to start his pro career asap but things can change and you cant go back once you switch.  

Will be interesting to see. 

With the money he would make he could go back it is not like a lifetime ban! lol I think he is pretty keen to get playing I would like to see him in a game or two if for nothing else than to see where he is at in his development.

57 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

I'm still not sure he intends to sign with Montreal. We gambled when we chose him and I'm not convinced we are a winner yet. 

I have heard absolutely nothing anywhere which would indicate he doesn't want to sign here? Any draft choice can actually hold out if they want to actually. A lot of players are choosing to go to school, if not going straight to the NHL . 

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I have heard absolutely nothing anywhere which would indicate he doesn't want to sign here? Any draft choice can actually hold out if they want to actually. A lot of players are choosing to go to school, if not going straight to the NHL . 

Yeah same. He's always been super animated when asked about coming to montreal. He wanted to come this last year but MB seemed to tell him they felt 1 more year of Uni would be best. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

It's a good thing that the Hobey Baker Award does not rely solely on the Fans. Otherwise,  we'd have a fiasco like the NHL Allstar vote.

It's actually hilarious that so many Leafs fans are voting against Caufield when the fan vote accounts for less than 1% of the voting LMAO. 

Wisconsin is 5th ranked this year likely because of Caufield and Holloway ascensions. Final season game is today 1:30.

He’s been deadly on their power play - I certainly hope he translates that to the nhl and 3 on 3 where we desperately need that. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

2 more goals for Cole Caufield as Wisconsin hangs on for a 2-1 win over Michigan State.  CC finishes with 25 goals and 21 assists for an awesome 46 total points. Congrats to CC.

NIce - I can't see him losing the Hobey Baker award - the first of these 2 was a power play goal so he got the winner at 5 0n 5