The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalchuk

HabsRuleForever

21 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Desperation move by a desperate man trying to save his job. It's a tiny move money wise and many will say no risk involved but it still shows this GM's pattern of looking for that diamond in a pile of coal.

why not ?  he's a cheap add-on and we're deep into the injury list ...I don't have a problem with this shot in the dark ...maybe it'll  work ...if it doesn't no harm no foul 

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder where he'll fit in. 

Maybe with Poehling and JK ? Gives a triggerman to JK and adds size . He's probably better in the corners and along the wall than JK. (Kid gets knocked down a lot, still growing still a kid I know). I likt Domi/Suzuki , but Suzuki is good defensively so maybe he goes to Gallaghers spot and Kovy plays with Domi. Could be a good triggerman for Domi? Hard to say , I'm sure he'll be on one of the pp units. Kovy should be willing to play hard and do whatever he can as this is probably his last chance. Hopefully he'll click and light it up!

57 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

This may work out. and the guy can score. if he can still skate it may help for a bit.

The guy *could* score.    He had 16g in 64 games last year and is 36 years old.    He is not the answer.   Heck at this point I doubt the answer is even in the room anymore.

Honestly it feels like:

uOUhonN.png

But in fairness, its basically a no risk move.   The likelyhood Kovalchuk will ever return to even close to his former self is probably 1% but he was still on pace for like a 40 point season in LA.   

There's a decent chance we get some value out of it & we do need some bodies... 

23 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

, I'm sure he'll be on one of the pp units. Kovy should be willing to play hard and do whatever he can as this is probably his last chance. Hopefully he'll click and light it up!

Kovalchuk has never been know to "play hard" and "do whatever he can" .... and he's not the type of player to battle on the boards.    This signing makes zero sense unless MB has some sort of mental illness or drug problem where he believes we are somehow a contender.

I thought April fools was in April. Bergevin is clearly confused, but I see no worries with this signing. Kind of reminds me of the Semin signing although I think this one has slightly more potential for working out until at least one of our top goal scorers get back. Now I would like to see Primeau recalled and played if Price continues to struggle. If we can put a few wins together here we are still very much alive, but the time to wait for players to return has sailed. Good moves this week picking up Scandella for an AHLer and a swap of a 4th for a 5th is a very good deal. Now lets hope the players can turn this around.

49 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I thought April fools was in April. Bergevin is clearly confused, but I see no worries with this signing. Kind of reminds me of the Semin signing although I think this one has slightly more potential for working out until at least one of our top goal scorers get back. Now I would like to see Primeau recalled and played if Price continues to struggle. If we can put a few wins together here we are still very much alive, but the time to wait for players to return has sailed. Good moves this week picking up Scandella for an AHLer and a swap of a 4th for a 5th is a very good deal. Now lets hope the players can turn this around.

Ideal no, but he was obtained for nothing and a two way contract. If he can help us win a few games until we get bodies back that's great if he doesn't look good enough he's sent down and them might retire anyway. It's not like there are a lot of options out there without giving up young players or high draft choices. I also would like to see Primeau getting called back up for some more games. Or at least let Lindgren have a couple more give Price a break refocus .