The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ex Habs

kinot-2

5 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Unfortunately a very talented INDIVIDUAL and yes that is in caps on purpose. It has and always will be all about PK. He actually has done a lot of nice community and charitable things. Just nothing is under the radar.

I just cannot comprehend how he only has 5 points in 30 games.  Chiarot has 10 for pete's sake!

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

What he needs to do is concentrate on the game during the season, he can do whatever he wants in the off season but he is well paid to be 100% during the season he has a ton of talent i hope he does not throw away the rest of his career.

Some would argue his free time is his to do pretty much what he wants. 

4 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Bad team?

i think you could blame the team if it was 12 or 15 points but 5? PK played on some pretty bad habs teams & still managed to always put up points. He's 15th on the team in scoring  - and 4th in scoring on their blueline. He has less points than Vatanen, Butcher and Severson.  Thats almost mind-boggling based on his career stats. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

i think you could blame the team if it was 12 or 15 points but 5? PK played on some pretty bad habs teams & still managed to always put up points. He's 15th on the team in scoring  - and 4th in scoring on their blueline. He has less points than Vatanen, Butcher and Severson.  Thats almost mind-boggling based on his career stats. 

Utilization?

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

what are we blaming next, his skates? his stick?  

he's just not getting it done - in any way - which is really a huge drop off for PK.  

Definitely looks like it. If he can't get it together, that trade will turn out to be a huge win for us. I don't think anybody expected Subban to fall of a cliff at 30 years of age.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Definitely looks like it. If he can't get it together, that trade will turn out to be a huge win for us. I don't think anybody expected Subban to fall of a cliff at 30 years of age.

Thats for sure.  Even strong supporters of the trade felt like we'd lose the longer it went on but that sure looks wrong now.  Subban dropping to a 13 point prorated pace while weber is on pace for 65+ points! 

It makes me think (a little) of the Chelios for Savard trade.  Savard had what, 3 good years afterwards while Chelios went on to play like 15 more seasons.     although in that case they were only a year apart in age - but savard just lost it in his early 30s while Chelios was good well into his 40s. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Thats for sure.  Even strong supporters of the trade felt like we'd lose the longer it went on but that sure looks wrong now.  Subban dropping to a 13 point prorated pace while weber is on pace for 65+ points! 

It makes me think (a little) of the Chelios for Savard trade.  Savard had what, 3 good years afterwards while Chelios went on to play like 15 more seasons.     although in that case they were only a year apart in age - but savard just lost it in his early 30s while Chelios was good well into his 40s. 

Personally I am one who liked the trade initially but really didn't dislike Subban at all. I just preferred Webers style of play. I did honestly always think that once he got older "wiser" he would actually become a more rounded better defenseman. He always was a great skated and has great natural skills. At the time I just thought he didn't think the game yet well enough and would learn to be better defensively and a better decision maker on when to take a chance and learn to give and go instead of hold on to long and try to do to much himself. Even players with great skill are usually better players when they keep things simple. Lindstrom was probably the best example of that. A smooth skater who thought the game and made it look simple, while rarely ever getting caught and knowing when in the game to take the chance ect. I really think the defense corp they had at Nashville helped him a lot to look a lot better. P.K. as skilled as he is , is much better along side of another great player. The year he won the Norris (1/2 season) with us is when he had Markov sending him those beautiful flat passes and to cover for his risk taking. I hope he turns it around (not against us though!)

whats honestly crazy though is I watched a lot of nashville when they had their 2 good years with him and he was truly what you projected......he was playing very conservative and responsible hockey for them. he dropped the crazy solo dashes and a lot of the high risk crazy stuff and still managed to put up points.

people want to say stuff like oh yeah he was their 3rd best d, but honestly he and josi were equal minutes every night and often he was ahead. he was a huge part of their cup run and their presidents trophy. got nominated for a norris even, which went right under the radar. it really looked like he had figured it out and here we are now.

I talked about my health suspicions with him a couple pages back, basically he has not done anything since his return from injury last year.....but I was talking about him with a friend the other day and we were speculating on his headspace....

PK was the most popular player here in a very long time, he had the bell center chanting his name, hes best friends with beliveaus wife, the hospital stuff, just on and on......then he gets traded the way he did, and I am positive that hurt him a lot. 

then ok, he gets on board in nashville, has some really great success over there, even though its not a love affair like the habs was, and in the end they decide to sacrifice him for duchene essentially, and here he finds himself now playing in the swamp, on a last place team, the general public opinion has flipped and hes a butt of a joke now, considered overrated, has been, never was, etc etc. no more automatic all star team leading the fan voting, no more nothing.

how much does any of that factor in? I dunno. only he knows.  either way, this drop off is just crazy.  we should get him back lol, we could get him for nothing right now 

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

whats honestly crazy though is I watched a lot of nashville when they had their 2 good years with him and he was truly what you projected......he was playing very conservative and responsible hockey for them. he dropped the crazy solo dashes and a lot of the high risk crazy stuff and still managed to put up points.

people want to say stuff like oh yeah he was their 3rd best d, but honestly he and josi were equal minutes every night and often he was ahead. he was a huge part of their cup run and their presidents trophy. got nominated for a norris even, which went right under the radar. it really looked like he had figured it out and here we are now.

I talked about my health suspicions with him a couple pages back, basically he has not done anything since his return from injury last year.....but I was talking about him with a friend the other day and we were speculating on his headspace....

PK was the most popular player here in a very long time, he had the bell center chanting his name, hes best friends with beliveaus wife, the hospital stuff, just on and on......then he gets traded the way he did, and I am positive that hurt him a lot. 

then ok, he gets on board in nashville, has some really great success over there, even though its not a love affair like the habs was, and in the end they decide to sacrifice him for duchene essentially, and here he finds himself now playing in the swamp, on a last place team, the general public opinion has flipped and hes a butt of a joke now, considered overrated, has been, never was, etc etc. no more automatic all star team leading the fan voting, no more nothing.

how much does any of that factor in? I dunno. only he knows.  either way, this drop off is just crazy.  we should get him back lol, we could get him for nothing right now 

interesting thoughts & I agree with most of it.

As for getting him back, id take a flyer on him in a heartbeat. I bet you it would cost next to nothing- his contract is so high jersey would probably do it for like byron + prospect.

could you imagine if he did bounce back? We could then move Petry for help somewhere else in the roster. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

interesting thoughts & I agree with most of it.

As for getting him back, id take a flyer on him in a heartbeat. I bet you it would cost next to nothing- his contract is so high jersey would probably do it for like byron + prospect.

could you imagine if he did bounce back? We could then move Petry for help somewhere else in the roster. 

The thoughts of Subban and his skill set are intriguing. I just feel that this team has some nice chemistry and I hate to think Subban could keep his ego in check. I actually think it would be a disruption. I also believe that New Jersey would have to eat some of his contract. I know we have room but at 9 million a year it could hurt moving forward.

11 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

The thoughts of Subban and his skill set are intriguing. I just feel that this team has some nice chemistry and I hate to think Subban could keep his ego in check. I actually think it would be a disruption. I also believe that New Jersey would have to eat some of his contract. I know we have room but at 9 million a year it could hurt moving forward.

That'd be hilarious ... we signed him to that contract, get him back and make the Devils eat some of it.