Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED


26NCounting
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Reading the Canes board they think it's too much. They believe Petry would be Gardiner 2.0.

Wonky back, defensive liability, preferring to choke in game 7 of the playoffs Gardiner? Right, totally comparable 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Le Braun reporting that the Canes have put forth an offer of Bean + 1st for Petry. I don't mind the offer in itself but we should be getting an additional prospect or pick especially trading within the conference.

A good starting point but not enough.  I would want either another prospect (Kuokkanen? Maybe Nick's Brother Ryan?) or at least another high pick. 

With this move alone they dont need cap space but if they are planning on making another move they may need us to take back salary so we can do that if necessary but id definitely want more than those 2 parts for Petry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

A good starting point but not enough.  I would want either another prospect (Kuokkanen? Maybe Nick's Brother Ryan?) or at least another high pick. 

With this move alone they dont need cap space but if they are planning on making another move they may need us to take back salary so we can do that if necessary but id definitely want more than those 2 parts for Petry. 

100% Petry is pretty much as close to a blue chip Dman as there is available for a win now team!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Boston Bruins have acquired forward Ondrej Kase from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for David Backes, a first-round pick and defensive prospect Axel Andersson. According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Bruins retained 25 per cent of Backes' $6 million cap hit through next season in the deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

The Boston Bruins have acquired forward Ondrej Kase from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for David Backes, a first-round pick and defensive prospect Axel Andersson. According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Bruins retained 25 per cent of Backes' $6 million cap hit through next season in the deal.

Good deal for Bruins! Getting rid of Backes and adding Kase are both pluses for them. Kase will fit in well with Bruins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW. LeBrun did NOT say that Carolina offered that deal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brian Lawton said from what he has heard this is "an unparalleled year to be a seller at the deadline," in large part because of how wide open the West is and because there are at least 11 teams in each conference that believe they have a shot at the playoffs and are trying to stock up. He said the demand far outweighs the supply right now, meaning returns for sellers are huge.

Bergevin absolutely has to be in on this and needs to stop pretending we will be a contender next year. He likely won't get as high a return on any of his free agents nor guys who will be free agents in a year. He needs to clean out as many of Weise, Weal, Cousins, Thompson, and Kovalchuk as possible. He needs to investigate every trade option he has for the likes of Petry, Tatar, Weber, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Chiarot, and Kulak. He doesn't need to sell all of those players, but he probably needs to sell at least two where the return is high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brian Lawton said from what he has heard this is "an unparalleled year to be a seller at the deadline," in large part because of how wide open the West is and because there are at least 11 teams in each conference that believe they have a shot at the playoffs and are trying to stock up. He said the demand far outweighs the supply right now, meaning returns for sellers are huge.

Bergevin absolutely has to be in on this and needs to stop pretending we will be a contender next year. He likely won't get as high a return on any of his free agents nor guys who will be free agents in a year. He needs to clean out as many of Weise, Weal, Cousins, Thompson, and Kovalchuk as possible. He needs to investigate every trade option he has for the likes of Petry, Tatar, Weber, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Chiarot, and Kulak. He doesn't need to sell all of those players, but he probably needs to sell at least two where the return is high.

I absolutely agree he has to be looking at all of the trade offers you mentioned above and he should only make maybe 2 or 3 of the higher value trades. My preference for who goes depending on return would be Weber, Domi, Chairot, Kulak, Danault, Drouin, Tatar, Petry and Gallagher. My reasoning is Weber has only played the equivalent of 2 full seasons out of 4, this makes him too big of a risk for my liking and Petry is capable of playing top pairing so sign him and trade Weber if possible if not the opposite still is an option. The return on Domi will be high and I expect him to get an offersheet this summer maybe from the Leafs or Hurricanes and I wouldn't want to match it if it's over 6.5 × 7. All the rest other than Gallagher are good return while still easier replaceable. Gallagher on the other hand would probably get the most in a return but would be harder to replace. He is a consistent 30+ goal scorer plays hard and has the leadership qualities to be the next captain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think MB has made his big splash with dumping Scandella. He'll likely do zip in the way of a big deal. We might see one more of our PP specialists ( Cousins, Weal ) or Thompson dealt for next to nothing,, and that will be it. I'm expecting a yawner unless all of a sudden we see one of our big boys scratched tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think MB has made his big splash with dumping Scandella. He'll likely do zip in the way of a big deal. We might see one more of our PP specialists ( Cousins, Weal ) or Thompson dealt for next to nothing,, and that will be it. I'm expecting a yawner unless all of a sudden we see one of our big boys scratched tonight.

I'm not expecting much either. but I don't blame MB, it takes two to tango. A lot of buyers but the prices might be too steep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I think MB has made his big splash with dumping Scandella. He'll likely do zip in the way of a big deal. We might see one more of our PP specialists ( Cousins, Weal ) or Thompson dealt for next to nothing,, and that will be it. I'm expecting a yawner unless all of a sudden we see one of our big boys scratched tonight.

Bergevin is the king of the "take it or leave it" deal.  Sometimes it works (Vanek for virtually nothing, Danault for  scraps) but often it amounts to nothing.

I suspect, that over the next 48 hrs or so he's going to put down some "take it or leave it offers" that may involve Tatar, Petry, Drouin, Kovalchuk and maybe even ones around Domi, Danault or others. 

WIll any come to fruition? Hard to say. But if rival GMs see their counterparts loading up, there's a definite chance MB wins some big trades by tuesday.  Should be interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, the suspense is killing me. I really, really hope we’re able to add at least one extra 1st rounder before this deadline passes. It’s still early, but there looks to be some good players that might be available between picks 10 and 20. Hard to say how the rankings will shape out come draft day, but if we could manage to pick twice (or fingers crossed, thrice) before day one is over I think we’ll be very satisfied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Louis Jean reporting that Colorado has interest in Kovalchuk and that he spoke to Kovy's agent J.P. Barry, who told him he plans on meeting with the Habs Sunday. Barry said if no trade is imminent, he feels that the team and Kovalchuk can work out a one-year contract pretty quickly.

So if you believe that, it would sound like

1. Kovalchuk has interest in re-signing here.

2. He and the Habs feel like they're not too far apart on a contract.

3. MB wants to see what the trade return would be before signing anything.

4. Kovalchuk could be traded and still come back here in the summer, which Renaud Lavoie has stated is a possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friedman says the ask for Petry is huge, Habs know his value, and he doubts anyone will pay enough to make the trade happen.

CBC also saying Tyson Jost likely to be moved out in a deadline trade by Colorado, so he could be someone we've discussed with Sakic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eklund (insert eye roll) reporting that we are talking to Colorado about both Drouin AND Petry.

Ideally id never want to trade 2 guys of that quality together (return will almost always be higher separately) but adding those to guys to that roster, in a wide open Western conference? That, i think Sakic would pay for.


of course coming back I would demand some very key pieces: Byram + Bowers + 1st plus one of either Newhook or Timmins.   Im not even sure if thats enough.

Colorado would be giving up several of its best young prospects but we'd also be giving them a 1st line winger and a 1st-2nd pairing RD.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Eklund (insert eye roll) reporting that we are talking to Colorado about both Drouin AND Petry.

Ideally id never want to trade 2 guys of that quality together (return will almost always be higher separately) but adding those to guys to that roster, in a wide open Western conference? That, i think Sakic would pay for.


of course coming back I would demand some very key pieces: Byram + Bowers + 1st plus one of either Newhook or Timmins.   Im not even sure if thats enough.

Colorado would be giving up several of its best young prospects but we'd also be giving them a 1st line winger and a 1st-2nd pairing RD.  

For two top players I would want Byram + Bowers + Newhook + 2 1sts and that is even a discount cause you could get the equivalent of Byram + Bowers + 1st for Petry and Timmins + Newhook + 1st for Tatar if it was seperate deals. So you discount them a prospect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

A member of my sim league is a Avs fan and he just said that the rumours have Priceat top of the list again. Dont think he is happy with whatever happens if high end prospects like Byram goes to MTL in return.

I don't think Price is being moved but stranger things have happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rkgoalie said:

ya  remember people  pk was also not being traded ,would price wave his no trade clause for a chance at the cup, why not 

For me it's not about what Price or MB would do but more about what other teams would have to give up to acquire him. Your probably looking at something like Grubeaur + Byram + Bowers + Timmins + 1st or drop Timmins and make it 2 1sts to even get MB's attention. I don't see Sakic or any other GM making that type of trade. It would be the equivalent of what you would have to give up to get McDavid or McKinnon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

For me it's not about what Price or MB would do but more about what other teams would have to give up to acquire him. Your probably looking at something like Grubeaur + Byram + Bowers + Timmins + 1st or drop Timmins and make it 2 1sts to even get MB's attention. I don't see Sakic or any other GM making that type of trade. It would be the equivalent of what you would have to give up to get McDavid or McKinnon.

It would have been back when we should have traded him before we gave him a billion dollars forever, and he has been very average since then.

sakic would be offering grubauer, the 1st and the 3rd best of those 3 prospects. 

listen, carey is a legit starting goalie and I am in no rush to get him out of town, much like the rangers have hung onto lundqvist (which is now coming to its organic finale)

fact is, the days of us asking for the world for him are long gone.  I personally think it makes way more sense to max out on the perceived value of weber and gallagher, plus anything else significant anyone wants to give us on drouin or whoever, and let price hang around a couple more years to stabilize the rebuild

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

For me it's not about what Price or MB would do but more about what other teams would have to give up to acquire him. Your probably looking at something like Grubeaur + Byram + Bowers + Timmins + 1st or drop Timmins and make it 2 1sts to even get MB's attention. I don't see Sakic or any other GM making that type of trade. It would be the equivalent of what you would have to give up to get McDavid or McKinnon.

 

8 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

It would have been back when we should have traded him before we gave him a billion dollars forever, and he has been very average since then.

sakic would be offering grubauer, the 1st and the 3rd best of those 3 prospects. 

listen, carey is a legit starting goalie and I am in no rush to get him out of town, much like the rangers have hung onto lundqvist (which is now coming to its organic finale)

fact is, the days of us asking for the world for him are long gone.  I personally think it makes way more sense to max out on the perceived value of weber and gallagher, plus anything else significant anyone wants to give us on drouin or whoever, and let price hang around a couple more years to stabilize the rebuild

 

 

Totally agree.  If Sakic wants price, I think his "price" (no pun intended) is probably not much greater then Petry's to be honest.  He may well have this aura of "best in the world" (despite what the stats say) but he also comes with major baggage in terms of that contract.

I could colorado offering Byram + Bowers + Grubauer + 1st for Price + Kovalchuk   - and honestly, id be all over it.  I love price but i think the additions of those players are far better for our future than him.

Plus, having been a price fan for ages, wouldnt it be nice to see him have a chance to win a cup? he most likely wont get that chance here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BigTed3 changed the title to TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY TRADED
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...