The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Max Domi

Habs_Hockey_Nutz

54 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Most teams want a strong top 9 not just 6 , so even if Domi was a wing which is still to be determined JK could also end up at wing? Kovy can play either side. Having someone play wing that is also capable of playing center is good in case of injury also. He is also a lot younger than Tatar and Kovy who neither will probably be here in 5 years. The Wings for years had Datsyk, Federov, Zetterburg and they all played wing at different times Bowman even had Federov play defense. Having skill in your top 9 in todays game is much better than the "old school" 1st/2nd line and just two checking lines. The game is faster and having the depth in the line up is great. Jullien also prefers to role the lines if possible. Romanov could end up being that LD also yet to be determined. Domi also has proven he can play center and be very effective. Last season wasn't that long ago. We all hope JK will become as good as Domi was just last year but he hasn't shown that yet. 

I'm not saying you don't need a top 9, I'm saying you have 10 top 9 forwards already if you re-sign Kovalchuk. And while Tatar or Kovalchuk may not be here long-term you also could have Caufield or Ylonen coming in shortly. The point is not that we don't need Domi, the point is that we have other guys who could fill the same position(s) as him AND our need for a top-pairing LHD is higher. If you have Tatar, Domi, Drouin, and Kovalchuk down the left side, I'd argue we're better-served by trading one for a top-pairing LHD rather than having one play the 4th line.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm not saying you don't need a top 9, I'm saying you have 10 top 9 forwards already if you re-sign Kovalchuk. And while Tatar or Kovalchuk may not be here long-term you also could have Caufield or Ylonen coming in shortly. The point is not that we don't need Domi, the point is that we have other guys who could fill the same position(s) as him AND our need for a top-pairing LHD is higher. If you have Tatar, Domi, Drouin, and Kovalchuk down the left side, I'd argue we're better-served by trading one for a top-pairing LHD rather than having one play the 4th line.

Yet again Kovy can play either side isn't only left wing and it isn't in stone by any means that JK is going to be a better center than Domi. Even now if Danault was out anything long term you have another center who has proven he can do the job. Caulfield is a right wing also and he may or may not be here next year. He could end up another year in NCAA possibly. Domi has speed (fastest on team per team skills) Byron didn't compete but I don't see Byron here long term. Domi also has great hands and vision. JK doesn't have the same speed and has yet to be seen if he the same vision or hands or even the determination that Domi has. I think it's to soon to trade Domi to make room for JK because he has potential and we hope. 

29 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Yet again Kovy can play either side isn't only left wing and it isn't in stone by any means that JK is going to be a better center than Domi. Even now if Danault was out anything long term you have another center who has proven he can do the job. Caulfield is a right wing also and he may or may not be here next year. He could end up another year in NCAA possibly. Domi has speed (fastest on team per team skills) Byron didn't compete but I don't see Byron here long term. Domi also has great hands and vision. JK doesn't have the same speed and has yet to be seen if he the same vision or hands or even the determination that Domi has. I think it's to soon to trade Domi to make room for JK because he has potential and we hope. 

There was an article on the Sportsnet that quoted Bouchard as saying the reason KK was sent to Laval was because the Habs want him to get back to the mindset of being "the guy" Not just a guy on the team. He went on to say that the whole organization still feels that JK will be the guy and Bouchard is going to play him almost nonstop no matter what errors he makes cause he has to get used to being in all those situations and making the RIGHT choices in those situations. So that being said either the organization doesn't see Domi as a center long term or even as part of the future or Bouchard is lieing and just playing up for the cameras and JK.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-want-kotkaniemi-get-comfortable-guy/sn-amp/

23 hours ago, campabee82 said:

There was an article on the Sportsnet that quoted Bouchard as saying the reason KK was sent to Laval was because the Habs want him to get back to the mindset of being "the guy" Not just a guy on the team. He went on to say that the whole organization still feels that JK will be the guy and Bouchard is going to play him almost nonstop no matter what errors he makes cause he has to get used to being in all those situations and making the RIGHT choices in those situations. So that being said either the organization doesn't see Domi as a center long term or even as part of the future or Bouchard is lieing and just playing up for the cameras and JK.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-want-kotkaniemi-get-comfortable-guy/sn-amp/

Even "if" that 's what the team is "wishing" for. Could be saying it boost his fragile ego also if he actually was losing confidence. He still has to prove he is going to be that guy or make it. He can excel in Laval as many have done in the AHL and still not turn out to be a 1st or 2nd line gut at the NHL level some AHL stars never make the NHL. So I would say it would be stupid to trade someone Domi who has proven he can do the job until you know the other guy can. Or a year down the road you've got another Chucky situation and you now need a center again. I still haven't seen anywhere where the team is saying Domi is expendable either. I would definitely wait and see how JK does before trading off someone who is better at this time and can do the job. JK also has been injured what 3 times in two years hopefully he can build some muscle and be stronger also.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Certainly leaning towards his final days as a Hab. Fired his agent today ( Brisson) who just happens to be close friends with MB

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/stu-on-sports-max-domi-s-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over/ar-BB18z6zJ?ocid=msedgdhp

Combined with the playoff usage, the fact Julien reiterated he would be a center when there clearly isn't room, the social media takedown of Habs information, and now this... where there's smoke there's fire.

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Combined with the playoff usage, the fact Julien reiterated he would be a center when there clearly isn't room, the social media takedown of Habs information, and now this... where there's smoke there's fire.

17 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Certainly leaning towards his final days as a Hab. Fired his agent today ( Brisson) who just happens to be close friends with MB

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/stu-on-sports-max-domi-s-days-with-canadiens-appear-to-be-over/ar-BB18z6zJ?ocid=msedgdhp

Seems that way.  A shame but i also think if he can bring us at least a decent return its worth it.  There are teams that would covet him for sure. 

51 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What kind of return are we expecting on Domi anyway?

I don't imagine we'll get that top-D we need. Or a good scoring winger... but who knows? Maybe we will.

Depending on the return it could involve a package. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 1 for 1

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What kind of return are we expecting on Domi anyway?

I don't imagine we'll get that top-D we need. Or a good scoring winger... but who knows? Maybe we will.

Its really tough to say.

He was a 12th overall pick. He was dominant in juniors/worlds. (GMs that were going to draft him remember that stuff FWIW).  He is only 25. He has 375 nhl games with 251 points (thats good for .67pg, or, a 55 point career average over 82 games. He scored 28g and 72 points in his only full season at centre.   

There's some very appealing stats there. I could totally see a rival GM that has a surplus of LD saying "thats worth the gamble."   Sadly he was pretty invisible against Philly because they have 3 very good LHD but i doubt they have much interest in Max.

As mentioned, you may have to package him to get full value.  The reality is that between Kulak, Mete, Chairot and now Romanov, I think we can be comfortable with 2nd and 3rd pairing dmen  - and clearly we have too many for 2 spots. So if you packaged one of those guys with Domi, maybe it sweetens the deal.  Cant see MB letting Chairot go but maybe Kulak or Mete.

If we were dealing with philly (for example - its not going to happen, just using them as they have 3 quite good young dmen) you could likely get:

Domi 1 for 1 for Ghost
Domi + Kulak for Sanheim
Domi + Mete + ____ for Provorov.  Honestly i think the ____ would have to be our first but the point being, that a package around Domi probably works as long as you are dealing with a team that needs secondary scoring & is willing to take a chance on him.

I also like the idea of Domi + ____ for Dumba... but of course he's RHD so we would then have to flip one of Petry or Weber for a different player.... Im not sure i have confidence in MB making multiple trades. 

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its really tough to say.

He was a 12th overall pick. He was dominant in juniors/worlds. (GMs that were going to draft him remember that stuff FWIW).  He is only 25. He has 375 nhl games with 251 points (thats good for .67pg, or, a 55 point career average over 82 games. He scored 28g and 72 points in his only full season at centre.   

There's some very appealing stats there. I could totally see a rival GM that has a surplus of LD saying "thats worth the gamble."   Sadly he was pretty invisible against Philly because they have 3 very good LHD but i doubt they have much interest in Max.

As mentioned, you may have to package him to get full value.  The reality is that between Kulak, Mete, Chairot and now Romanov, I think we can be comfortable with 2nd and 3rd pairing dmen  - and clearly we have too many for 2 spots. So if you packaged one of those guys with Domi, maybe it sweetens the deal.  Cant see MB letting Chairot go but maybe Kulak or Mete.

If we were dealing with philly (for example - its not going to happen, just using them as they have 3 quite good young dmen) you could likely get:

Domi 1 for 1 for Ghost
Domi + Kulak for Sanheim
Domi + Mete + ____ for Provorov.  Honestly i think the ____ would have to be our first but the point being, that a package around Domi probably works as long as you are dealing with a team that needs secondary scoring & is willing to take a chance on him.

I also like the idea of Domi + ____ for Dumba... but of course he's RHD so we would then have to flip one of Petry or Weber for a different player.... Im not sure i have confidence in MB making multiple trades. 

I've said before that trading for Dumba makes more sense than trading for Brodin. The short-sighted approach is to see your shortcomings on the left side. But Dumba is a guy you're trying to add for 5-6 years. We have Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, etc all possibly coming up in the next 2-3 years. On the right, we are counting on impending UFA Jeff Petry and aging Shea Weber to anchor us but how long will that last? Fleury is a 3rd-pairing guy in all likelihood, Brook is a question mark, and Juulsen is a health concern. There's not much there after that. If you acquire Dumba, it allows you to flip one of Weber or Petry, effectively filling out your right side for now AND extending the time period that your right side is better set AND giving you another asset in a trade for a guy who still has value but likely won't down the line.

On 02/09/2020 at 5:40 PM, maas_art said:
On 11/02/2020 at 9:55 AM, CaptWelly said:

I'm leaning in the same direction ...Domi had a crap year  and was on pace for 50 pts and maybe 20 goals ( 17 ) I'd be fine to not trade him if we don't get a game -breaker coming back..I don't think Montreal signs Kovalchuk either and it's not even about the money ...he died out in the play-offs big time for Washington but thx for the free 3rd rounder we used to get Allen .... the Habs can still sign Domi to a 2-year bridge with no trade restrictions ....he ticks a few boxes for Montreal not the least of which is his competitiveness and grit .....when was the last time Montreal had somebody who could put up  70+ pts.  ?... 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:55 PM, BigTed3 said:

I've said before that trading for Dumba makes more sense than trading for Brodin. The short-sighted approach is to see your shortcomings on the left side. But Dumba is a guy you're trying to add for 5-6 years. We have Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris, etc all possibly coming up in the next 2-3 years. On the right, we are counting on impending UFA Jeff Petry and aging Shea Weber to anchor us but how long will that last? Fleury is a 3rd-pairing guy in all likelihood, Brook is a question mark, and Juulsen is a health concern. There's not much there after that. If you acquire Dumba, it allows you to flip one of Weber or Petry, effectively filling out your right side for now AND extending the time period that your right side is better set AND giving you another asset in a trade for a guy who still has value but likely won't down the line.

The problem is that MB has proven he doesnt think like this.  In strict "in a vacuum" terms he has a pretty good record of trades but he often misses "the big picture" so while I 100% agree with you about trading Domi for a RHD and then being able to move one of Weber or Petry, I dont think there's any chance MB does this.  

Honestly I think that MB believes we have an adequate defense.  I think - if he does move domi - it will be for a forward.    I heard a rumor about Domi +  for Timo Meier - i think thats the type of deal MB makes (not sure SJ would but there's probably other options out there along those lines).    Domi + say one of our young Dmen could be appealing to a lot of teams. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

The problem is that MB has proven he doesnt think like this.  In strict "in a vacuum" terms he has a pretty good record of trades but he often misses "the big picture" so while I 100% agree with you about trading Domi for a RHD and then being able to move one of Weber or Petry, I dont think there's any chance MB does this.  

Honestly I think that MB believes we have an adequate defense.  I think - if he does move domi - it will be for a forward.    I heard a rumor about Domi +  for Timo Meier - i think thats the type of deal MB makes (not sure SJ would but there's probably other options out there along those lines).    Domi + say one of our young Dmen could be appealing to a lot of teams. 

I agree. MB asks himself what hole he wants to fill and doesn't think about what holes are coming up or what holes he's creating by moving a guy out. He also tends to judge players based on past performance instead of what they're likely to do in the future. I have a lot of issues with the way he evaluates talent. We need LHD too, but we have guys coming up who might be able to fill those spots in 2-3 years. Comparatively, we don't have a single prospect at RHD in our system that I would project as a top 3 D man 2-3 years from now. So while Brodin maybe fits what we need better for 2020-21, after that you have Petry as a potential UFA and Weber hitting his late 30's and no real relief there. Juulsen and Fleury aren't going to become top-pairing guys and Brook looks like that's a far-off possibility right now too. So to be able to grab a guy like Dumba in his mid-20's who can help you for another 5 years seems like a better strategy than getting Brodin for maybe 2 years.

• H_T_L locked this topic