The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Anything Regarding the Virus Thread

kinot-2

On 10/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, H_T_L said:

Report that 18 members of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada from the Q  have tested positive for Covid. Doesn't bode well for Junior hockey playing a full season. Sherbrooke played them twice last week and are also suspending operations

The Sherbrooke Phoenix said Thursday that eight members of the organization tested positive for COVID-19, a day after the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League rival

Blainville-Boisbriand Armada announced 18 positive cases.

12 hours ago, electron58 said:

10:23 a.m.Tuesday, Oct.13.2020  Ontario is reporting more than 1500 new COVID-19 cases in two days: 746 cases on Tuesday and 807 cases on Monday. Definitely getting out of hand.

Ya know, back in Mar. when this hit the fan, my daughter said that I'm in lockdown. The only things I could do were take out the garbage and recycling (I live on the ground floor). My wife and daughter would do everything else for me including laundry, (75' away) getting my groceries (with my debit card), mail (50'away), and prescriptions. I didn't go into a store until the end of May. My daughter came over to cut my hair (she regularly cuts her BFs hair). Now, because of this "second" wave,  just last Sun. my daughter said that I can only go to 1 store per week.  

Gonna be interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again. 

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, back in Mar. when this hit the fan, my daughter said that I'm in lockdown. The only things I could do were take out the garbage and recycling (I live on the ground floor). My wife and daughter would do everything else for me including laundry, (75' away) getting my groceries (with my debit card), mail (50'away), and prescriptions. I didn't go into a store until the end of May. My daughter came over to cut my hair (she regularly cuts her BFs hair). Now, because of this "second" wave,  just last Sun. my daughter said that I can only go to 1 store per week.  

Gonna be interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again. 

Good to see that she has your best interests in mind.  As more people should do. We all have to make sacrifices, and look at the big picture. I know that it's hard, and I miss doing all the things I used to do. This will certainly test our patience.

• 4 weeks later...

Ya know, I have a significant B-day coming up and back during the summer, I told my wife that I hoped that I could take my children, G-children and G-G-grandchildren (roughly 25 total) out for a meal at a restaurant. Now, because things are heating up again, I'm not sure what to do. The only solution I can think of is having it next spring/summer, as long as things are better. 

Any ideas are appreciated. 

Personally, I don't think any idea would be safe enough. 

From The New York Times
"The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19. The Company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said. Pfizer, developed the vaccine with the German drug maker BioNTech."

Looks like it will take 2 separate doses & could be available some time in the spring. Definitely sounds promising!

14 minutes ago, electron58 said:

From The New York Times
"The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19. The Company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said. Pfizer, developed the vaccine with the German drug maker BioNTech."

Looks like it will take 2 separate doses & could be available some time in the spring. Definitely sounds promising!

Ya, looks promising, but what about tests subjects. What is the percentage of subjects who have Covid, who been cleared of the virus? 

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, I have a significant B-day coming up and back during the summer, I told my wife that I hoped that I could take my children, G-children and G-G-grandchildren (roughly 25 total) out for a meal at a restaurant. Now, because things are heating up again, I'm not sure what to do. The only solution I can think of is having it next spring/summer, as long as things are better. 

All depends on if you want to see another B Day after this one. I'm sure the family have your best interest in mind and are more then willing to delay. Touching base with them all by phone or zoom on the big day is your best option IMO. Have a good one.

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya, looks promising, but what about tests subjects. What is the percentage of subjects who have Covid, who been cleared of the virus? 

You have to think that it will be well tested before distribution. The States will be well ahead of us regarding vaccinations so if there are issues, we'll see them develop there first. 

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I shudder at the thought of 25 little Kinots unleashed on the country. :4224:

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Zoom?  Everyone gets on their devices and orders take-out and but you all 'eat together' virtually.  A sucky solution to be sure but may be the only one available right now. 

14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

I gotta figure that is what the 90% number is.

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

You have to think that it will be well tested before distribution. The States will be well ahead of us regarding vaccinations so if there are issues, we'll see them develop there first. 

The biggest hurdle with a vaccine like this is finding a suitable agent.  Think of one of those time-release pills you take; If you bite it & chew it, the medicine is dispersed in your mouth and throat and there's a high chance it wont do anything to help you; it needs to get to the right place in your body to be effective.  A vaccine like this needs an agent to get into your system so your body can fight it but most of the vaccines being developed world-wide are using strains of the common cold to administer it.  If you happen to be someone who has already fought and developed an immunity to that strain, the vaccine wont work (your body will attack it before its had time to get where it needs to go, essentially).

The Pfizer news sounds very promising - but - while the trial involved 44,000 people (good number) only 94 of them got Covid19, so obviously thats a great thing - but also a terrifically low sample size. Its very promising that such a small number got it though. 

Further, the study only looked at a 7 day span - meaning while it could be effective for a week, they have no idea how long you will be immune to the Coronavirus (and of course if it covers all strains, or future strains).

Finally, their data seems to have shown the elderly were less responsive to the vaccine, which is kind of a problem since thats the main group that require it!    

Its just uncharted territory.  A disease that spreads so easily, can be absolutely devastating to some and completely benign to others. I have several friends who have had it. One didnt even know they had it (had sniffles, got tested because of a colleague) the others, a few of them said they didnt think they were going to recover and described it as "hell."  One was hospitalized.  All were under 45 and all recovered (thank goodness).

Im cautiously optimistic about the vaccines, but dont think we're as close as we might hope we are. 

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I shudder at the thought of 25 little Kinots unleashed on the country. :4224:

My legacy lives on. :freu1:

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Zoom?  Everyone gets on their devices and orders take-out and but you all 'eat together' virtually.  A sucky solution to be sure but may be the only one available right now. 

Methinks it would be pretty hard to organize. 

Ya know, there have been protests regarding the wearing of masks, in Aylmer, St. Thomas, and the next city/town of Woodstock, and (am sure,) coming to a city near you.. I would like to say to those protesters this. "Please feel free to refuse a ventilator, as this will free up ventilators to you, family, and friends."

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, there have been protests regarding the wearing of masks, in Aylmer, St. Thomas, and the next city/town of Woodstock, and (am sure,) coming to a city near you.. I would like to say to those protesters this. "Please feel free to refuse a ventilator, as this will free up ventilators to you, family, and friends."

Yeah, I think mask-wearing is just an easy thing to do to help slow the spread of the virus. I often wonder if people protesting against wearing one have absolutely zero empathy for anyone beyond their immediate friends and family.