The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien hospitalized - Muller takes over in interim.

maas_art

I thought this deserved its own thread.  Scary stuff & lets hope - no matter any of us feel about Claude - that he has a speedy recovery. 

At this point its unclear if it will be for the whole playoffs (I guess it also depends how deep we go) but if he's out of the bubble now then even if he had a full recovery, would need to quarantine for a bit.   My guess is that it's Muller for the rest of this post season at least. 

43 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I know I should care more about his health but if we have any chance of beating Philly, we need him

I think the existing/assistant coaches were pretty much on the same page so hopefully it works out.   I wonder if Bouchard would be called up if he didnt have to quarantine. 

30 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. I can't imagine he'll be back anytime soon. Hopefully Claude doesn't have any major problems!

Fingers crossed.

19 minutes ago, rkgoalie said:

could this rally the troops 

Oh i think it most definitely will. Weber's already said as much.  Lets hope it translates into stronger play... sometimes motivation like that makes players try to do too much & ultimately make mistakes

Sucks. Hopefully not too serious

But that MB needed to say this speaks volumes.

Kirk is the associate head coach and he will assume the responsibility of head coach until Claude's return.  

We understand that Kirk does not speak French, but these are exceptional circumstances and we're asking you for your understanding.

All the best to Claude. It may be time for him to decide how much longer he wants  to coach or it may force Bergevin to make a change sooner than he would like. Luckily we appear to have an excellent group of coaches to give us a chance. Get well Claude I'm sure the boys will be playing with an added edge tomorrow.

Get well Claude hope the best for a speedy recovery! I think I speak for everyone when I say no matter how far this team goes and no matter what else happens the best thing that could happen this year is for Claude to make a full recovery!

P.S. saw this also and had to share

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.narcity.com/amp/a-montreal-canadiens-billboard-in-toronto-is-trolling-leafs-fans-after-the-teams-loss

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Get well Claude hope the best for a speedy recovery! I think I speak for everyone when I say no matter how far this team goes and no matter what else happens the best thing that could happen this year is for Claude to make a full recovery!

P.S. saw this also and had to share

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.narcity.com/amp/a-montreal-canadiens-billboard-in-toronto-is-trolling-leafs-fans-after-the-teams-loss

Love the sign in TO. :4224:

"A little shock and concern," said Bergevin. "But after talking to [Canadiens head physician] Dr. David Mulder there is some good news early this afternoon."

He explained that Julien was "in good hands" at a Toronto-area hospital, that he spoke with him this morning, that there was hope he’d be out of the hospital within days and that he’d return home — whether it was to Montreal to be with his family, or to Toronto to be with his Canadiens family.

As Julien was transported to a hospital outside of the bubble, he’d have to go through a mandatory quarantine and produce several negative COVID-19 tests before being permitted to rejoin the Canadiens.

According to nhl.com, Julien had a coronary stent put in and is returning to Montreal to recover. This presumably means he suffered a heart attack and that likely keeps him out for the rest of the playoffs I would guess. Wishing Claude the best. From all accounts, whether you agree with his coaching decisions or not, he's a well-liked man who treats others with respect. Big difference in terms of the stories you hear about him compared to Therrien.

On a related note, if Julien is out long term, how fantastic would it be if Muller is able to take this team on a long run and maybe shut up some of the protesting voices who think an Anglophone can't coach in Montreal. Very sad state of affairs that Bergevin felt the need to apologize for the fact Muller was taking over without being able to speak French. Further proof the Habs place culture and politics ahead of winning...

4 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Good to hear everything was /is ok Ram.

Thanks i am good i also had a stent. it is the meds you have to take after that suck! but it is not a big deal these days. crazy thing is i am in shape and my blood work was done the week before during a regular check up. just goes to show you never know!

Muller gets the opportunity to show what he's capable of as a HC.  :5187:  Will his playing style be better than Julien's i.e. less "defensive" and conservative, and follow a more fluid passing attacking style, or will be it just as weak as the PP he coaches? :7072:

3 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

Muller gets the opportunity to show what he's capable of as a HC.  :5187:  Will his playing style be better than Julien's i.e. less "defensive" and conservative, and follow a more fluid passing attacking style, or will be it just as weak as the PP he coaches? :7072:

Did you notice our PP was good this game? i think CJ is a PP cooler. LOL!

• H_T_L locked this topic