The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jake Allen

Regis22

Just now, H_T_L said:

Yup,,,, two AHLer's and a guy who probably  single handedly cost us a couple games vs the Flyers.  Good pickups.

kind of horrific eh?  

That said, I dont mind Chairot as a #4-6 dman, he's just not a top 3, where we use him constantly.

On Alzner, good chance we buy him out in the near future. This is the summer where it made the most sense to do so.  Wonder if someone takes a flier on him for league min? 

Just now, maas_art said:

kind of horrific eh?  

That said, I dont mind Chairot as a #4-6 dman, he's just not a top 3, where we use him constantly.

On Alzner, good chance we buy him out in the near future. This is the summer where it made the most sense to do so.  Wonder if someone takes a flier on him for league min? 

We have the cap room this year so i think he sits on it one more year unless something big comes up ( are we all holding our breaths?) Next year buyout is more likely. 

6 minutes ago, claremont said:

Check out the posting of August 26/20 under State of the Habs subject!

Hmmm, this guy called it correctly and seemed to know what he was talking about - just could not pry a further prospect out of St. Louis in the deal.

I hear Ecklund is looking for more sources.:frech1:

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Another reason to like this deal is that Leaf fans are pissed off at us for giving the Blues the room to resign Pietrangelo. They had him already fitted for a jersey over there.:lol:

Ba Ha ha - I think we gave them cap room to sign Vince Dunn, and maybe give them back Charlie Lindgren as Binnington's backup as they have to shop around for a backup now. The only way the Blues resign Pietrangelo is to use some of the LTIR room that Tarasenko will provide in the short term, and when he returns, then they would have to create substitute cap room. It is probably safe that Pietrangelo is not coming back to the Blues

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think targeting Allen as a back-up is a good idea. He's got experience, he's been a starter, but he's also played the role of a back-up and knows how to come in without much playing time. So he fits the prototype of what we would need. His salary in itself is extremely steep for a back-up, especially when your starter is making 10+M a year though. It's not like we're a team with two 4M goalies, we now have 15M tied up in the net. Yes, Allen's contract expires in a year, but this was also a big salary dump for St. Louis, who were paying Allen starter money to be a back-up and needed cap space to re-sign Pietrangelo. So with that in mind, I really feel like Bergevin gave up too much in this deal. This would be like us trading away Alzner for a 5th rounder. Maybe it's not a huge return, but it's still surprising to get a return of any sort when the move clearly helps the team dumping salary. You look at the Armia trade, you look at the Marleau trade, you look at a bunch of others like that, and teams clearly value salary cap space as a trade asset. I think MB used his cap space very poorly here. When I saw we acquired Allen without knowing the return, part of me felt like St. Louis should have been giving up another asset to make that trade, not the other way around. So on paper, it fills a huge hole for us and in the long run, we're better off post-trade than pre-trade, but it's like some of the other deals MB has made, where you kind of feel like he didn't maximize his assets (in this case cap space).

You can not expose a player with a no movement clause unless they waive the NMC therefore no Price will not be exposed. This is just a move to ensure we make the PO's next season as we showed this year that we can compete if we can make it in. Our backup was a major reason for us not making the playoffs this year. When the season started and Price had a few games off now and then we were fighting with Boston for 1st in the division around the middle of November. Then Price had to play more and more games and injuries occurred and we lost a lot of ground. Good move IMO

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Another reason to like this deal is that Leaf fans are pissed off at us for giving the Blues the room to resign Pietrangelo. They had him already fitted for a jersey over there.:lol:

This right here! The “silent” asset in the trade. The fact that we helped the Blues also means we screwed the leafs. They were looking at signing Pietrangelo, and were also looking into trading for Pakaro (or however that’s spelled). Now both are off the table. What was already not a bad deal is even better when you consider what we likely took from the Leafs.

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Ba Ha ha - I think we gave them cap room to sign Vince Dunn, and maybe give them back Charlie Lindgren as Binnington's backup as they have to shop around for a backup now. The only way the Blues resign Pietrangelo is to use some of the LTIR room that Tarasenko will provide in the short term, and when he returns, then they would have to create substitute cap room. It is probably safe that Pietrangelo is not coming back to the Blues

He was getting 6.5 and i believe the Blues had a couple mill in room prior to the trade. They'll use the rookie to backup in goal at League minimum which adds another 3+ to their room. I can't seriously see him wanting over 10 a season. Dunn will get a raise but it won't be huge

5 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

This right here! The “silent” asset in the trade. The fact that we helped the Blues also means we screwed the leafs. They were looking at signing Pietrangelo, and were also looking into trading for Pakaro (or however that’s spelled). Now both are off the table. What was already not a bad deal is even better when you consider what we likely took from the Leafs.

We can give them Alzner as a makeup gift.:lol:

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Good God, was it necessary for us to use that much of our cap next year on Allen? :ph34r: Dude has a $4.350 cap hit.

Yes - Price could get injured from playing too much or a crease crash, and with our current team's reliance on goaltending, we would be major league exposed on Lindgren or Primeau. The net cap would be $3.5M or less as we would be paying our backup an entry level or Lindgren's money. I see it as valuable insurance if we are going to invest more into our roster.

18 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I'm not sure the Leafs would be better off signing Pietrangelo. He'll be 31 in a few months. If he's looking for a 7-year deal, then take a peek at what other 30-ish year old players just signed for on that length of deal... Jared Spurgeon signed last year for 7.6M AAV at age 30 on a 7-year deal. Ryan McDonagh signed for 7 years at age 30 two years ago and is netting an AAV of 6.75M. Brent Burns signed for 8 years, 8M AAV at age 32 and John Carlson got 8M AAV for 8 years at age 28. Pietrangelo is likely going to clock in at around 8-9M AAV in all likelihood. Are the Leafs really going to be able to squeeze that under the cap when they already have so much money devoted to Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. They can barely afford who they still have and even trading Nylander may not be enough to make the cap work, so they'd almost be looking at having to trade Marner to fit in Pietrangelo. Are they better off that way, having a 30+ year-old D man for the next 7 years instead of Marner?

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Kinkaid's contract is already done. Allen and Lindgren are both UFA after this season coming up. So Habs will need to sign someone prior to the ED to have a goalie counted to be exposed or else they face a penalty for not meeting the criteria.

There is an easy solution actually. You just resign McNiven to a 2 year 750000 contract and expose him by letting both Allen's and Lindgren's contracts expire and protect Price. Then after the draft you see if Allen will consider signing another 1 year deal for less than 3 Mil which he may consider given his age and the fact is from N.B.

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

There is an easy solution actually. You just resign McNiven to a 2 year 750000 contract and expose him by letting both Allen's and Lindgren's contracts expire and protect Price. Then after the draft you see if Allen will consider signing another 1 year deal for less than 3 Mil which he may consider given his age and the fact is from N.B.

yes signing McNiven to a 2-year deal would fulfill our obligation 

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm not sure the Leafs would be better off signing Pietrangelo. He'll be 31 in a few months. If he's looking for a 7-year deal, then take a peek at what other 30-ish year old players just signed for on that length of deal... Jared Spurgeon signed last year for 7.6M AAV at age 30 on a 7-year deal. Ryan McDonagh signed for 7 years at age 30 two years ago and is netting an AAV of 6.75M. Brent Burns signed for 8 years, 8M AAV at age 32 and John Carlson got 8M AAV for 8 years at age 28. Pietrangelo is likely going to clock in at around 8-9M AAV in all likelihood. Are the Leafs really going to be able to squeeze that under the cap when they already have so much money devoted to Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. They can barely afford who they still have and even trading Nylander may not be enough to make the cap work, so they'd almost be looking at having to trade Marner to fit in Pietrangelo. Are they better off that way, having a 30+ year-old D man for the next 7 years instead of Marner?

Yes. They would be better with Pietrangelo. Would it have been financially problematic, sure. But they would have found a way to fit him in, and it would have improved their blue line considerably. You could argue that from a cap perspective it might have been fun to watch them struggle, but in the end the Leafs always seem to find a way.

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

16 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yes signing McNiven to a 2-year deal would fulfill our obligation 

Doesn't the exposed goaltender have to have NHL experience?

13 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Yes. They would be better with Pietrangelo. Would it have been financially problematic, sure. But they would have found a way to fit him in, and it would have improved their blue line considerably. You could argue that from a cap perspective it might have been fun to watch them struggle, but in the end the Leafs always seem to find a way.

They freed up some room dealing away Kapanen to the Pens and i doubt they resign Ceci and what's his name (Barrie)  looking for deals