The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jake Evans Signed - 2nd year is 1 way

claremont

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-sign-jake-evans-to-a-two-year-contract-extension/c-319158132

Probably won't play enough qualifying games to be considered as exposure for the Kraken expansion draft. 2nd year is 1 way cheap insurance and IMO I would not be surprised to see him on the IR unless his vision awareness improves. He doesn't play large from what I have seen of him so I hope Joel Bouchard can work some magic with him.

I'm ok with this signing ...not a lot of coin for a guy that can play a decent defensive game as a 4th liner  ...my feeling is that whenever this season is to start ( Jan . 2021 ? ) it will be pretty intense with a of back to back games so a player like Evans just becomes a little injury/ fatigue insurance  ...

2 hours ago, claremont said:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-sign-jake-evans-to-a-two-year-contract-extension/c-319158132

Probably won't play enough qualifying games to be considered as exposure for the Kraken expansion draft. 2nd year is 1 way cheap insurance and IMO I would not be surprised to see him on the IR unless his vision awareness improves. He doesn't play large from what I have seen of him so I hope Joel Bouchard can work some magic with him.

Evans will be exposed regardless of games played.     The rules are any player who has played 2 or fewer years of professional (NHL/AHL) experience are excempt - so Suzuki and Brook are exempt but Kotkaniemi (even though he's younger) must be protected.

Evans has played 2 AHL seasons already, so no matter what happens this year, he has to be protected or is left exposed. 

As for Bouchard working his magic - its a 1 way contract, so while they can technically send him down (and pay him full salary), they likely gave him assurance they arent planning on doing so. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Evans will be exposed regardless of games played.     The rules are any player who has played 2 or fewer years of professional (NHL/AHL) experience are excempt - so Suzuki and Brook are exempt but Kotkaniemi (even though he's younger) must be protected.

Evans has played 2 AHL seasons already, so no matter what happens this year, he has to be protected or is left exposed. 

As for Bouchard working his magic - its a 1 way contract, so while they can technically send him down (and pay him full salary), they likely gave him assurance they arent planning on doing so. 

Only year 2 is one way at 800k year 1 is two way at 700k (NHL) and 200+k (AHL)

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I doubt he'll be a target in the expansion draft if we leave him exposed. Pretty sure we'll be leaving some other more attractive options out there out of necessity.

A good signing. I do believe, that Jake Evans will surprise.  Technically sound and has improved every year since being drafted. Was good enough to be invited to play in the Spengler Cup. Great faceoff man and has a high hockey IQ. The only downside, could be his skating, which is not top notch, but, because of his smart positioning and defense first mindset, rarely gets caught out of position. Again, I do believe, that Evans will surprise.

• H_T_L locked this topic