The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alzner on waivers for the purpose of a buyout.

H_T_L

On paper? Yes. Top 9. Would I keep him? Absolutely not. Drouin's already exceeded his 9 lives with me. Tremendously talented, but so predictable & soft. Won't go to the net. And, a major defensive liability. That very fair contract would be better spent elsewhere. Maybe in the package for a power forward. 

GP     G       A        P      +/-    PIM    PPG    PPP    SHG    SHP    GWG    OTG     S      S%

Jonathan Drouin Career Stats  Career    349    67    142    209    -51    124     20        76         0          0        15           2     689    9.7                                                                                                        2014/15-2019/20

So, if we go by NHL.com stats, we see Drouin come in at 168.

2014/15 228th

2015/16 502nd

2016/17  78th

2017/18 143rd

2018/19  99th

2019/20 168th

Now, I'm not taking into account the number of games played or any other circumstances. Just the numbers as they are on record. I'm not seeing anything special here. Talented? yes.  A keeper?  no.

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

On paper? Yes. Top 9. Would I keep him? Absolutely not. Drouin's already exceeded his 9 lives with me. Tremendously talented, but so predictable & soft. Won't go to the net. And, a major defensive liability. That very fair contract would be better spent elsewhere. Maybe in the package for a power forward. 

GP     G       A        P      +/-    PIM    PPG    PPP    SHG    SHP    GWG    OTG     S      S%

Jonathan Drouin Career Stats  Career    349    67    142    209    -51    124     20        76         0          0        15           2     689    9.7                                                                                                        2014/15-2019/20

So, if we go by NHL.com stats, we see Drouin come in at 168.

2014/15 228th

2015/16 502nd

2016/17  78th

2017/18 143rd

2018/19  99th

2019/20 168th

Now, I'm not taking into account the number of games played or any other circumstances. Just the numbers as they are on record. I'm not seeing anything special here. Talented? yes.  A keeper?  no.

& Everyone puts Galchenyuk down, but they have similar stats. So why the love for Drouin and the hate for Galchenyuk.  I just don't get it.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:53 PM, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. I kind of expect that we DON'T buyout Alzner. I anticipate he's just playing in Laval again this upcoming season. Maybe we buy him out during next off-season.

Done deal, as per TSN.

The Montreal Canadiens placed defenceman Karl Alzner on unconditional waivers Tuesday for purposes of a buyout. The 31-year-old has two years remaining on his contract which carried an annual salary cap hit of $4.625 million.

15 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Done deal, as per TSN.

The Montreal Canadiens placed defenceman Karl Alzner on unconditional waivers Tuesday for purposes of a buyout. The 31-year-old has two years remaining on his contract which carried an annual salary cap hit of $4.625 million.

Interesting.   By buying him out we spend a little bit more this year ($3.9m cap hit but none can be buried) vs keeping him & burying him in the minors.  Next year's cap hit will be half of what it is now - but we will have to pay him a small amount (less than $1m) for the subsequent 2 seasons.    So the big benefit is next year. I was 50.50 on whether they'd decide to buy him out.  There's not really a strong motivation either way.

I think a big part of this is just letting him try to get an NHL job somewhere.   

37 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting.   By buying him out we spend a little bit more this year ($3.9m cap hit but none can be buried) vs keeping him & burying him in the minors.  Next year's cap hit will be half of what it is now - but we will have to pay him a small amount (less than $1m) for the subsequent 2 seasons.    So the big benefit is next year. I was 50.50 on whether they'd decide to buy him out.  There's not really a strong motivation either way.

I think a big part of this is just letting him try to get an NHL job somewhere.   

Or adding another player to the 50 contract limit?

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Happy for him he seems like a good guy but what an awful contract this was for us! never really understood the signing it seemed desperate! i suppose he could be a servicable 7th on a cash strapped team at the minimum but why? he has shown that the game has passed him by.

Toronto will take him 

6 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

a 5 year deal ala Petry would work ...Montreal can easily sign their UFAs next year if they don't go nuts and acquire a Laine ....Gallagher is worth every penny 

Might be 8 year @ 6.5 which should be fair, with the hometown discount.  Still go after Laine or Ehlers, although, I was hoping for the word sooner.  Could go right to the draft, before we hear anything, but we should hear something by then.

• H_T_L locked this topic