The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA free agency

H_T_L

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Thank you - I’m quite surprised at Evans requiring protection- if cap friendly is the defacto source, then your statement of Leafs Sandin and Liljegren is totally incorrect as they are exempt within that sites mechanism chart much like Suzuki et al

Evans will have to have played 40 games however to be eligible, which may be unlikely. I also note Jake Evans did not sign an entry level contract which is probably why his two AHL pro seasons count with last years NHL debut as a third season. That would make him pass the eligibility requirements except for the 40 games threshold

I added on why Liljegren and Sandin are exempt after based on a loophole, whereas Evans doesn't fit that loophole apparently.

Just another aside, the "40 game requirement" isn't to become exempt or not exempt, it's to figure out whether he meets the criteria to be counted for the Habs' tally of supplying the minimum number of veteran players to offer Seattle. But he needs to be protected whether he plays those 40 games or not...

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Craig Smith to Boston 3 years 3.1 AAV.

And more surprisingly, Johnson clears waivers, so Tampa hasn't fixed their cap issues yet. Still room to offersheet Sergachev or Cirelli for another team and force Tampa's hands. Still room to take Johnson from Tampa but demand they throw in a 1st rounder to make the deal happen.

Offer sheeting Sergachev seems like a very good move to me...why would we not do that? 

Video evidence released this morning of Pietrangelo getting on a private jet, supposedly on his way to Vegas. So seems to be just about a guarantee he'll be headed there. Question now is who they'll dump to be able to squeeze him in. Rumors they've been actively trying to deal Martinez, Schmidt, Fleury, and/or Pacioretty. Something has to give there. And if everyone's paying attention, the number of teams who are going to be over the cap and desperately needing to dump salary is starting to climb. At some point, there isn't going to be anywhere to send the players they want to dump and they're going to have to compete with each other to find a team that can take on cap space.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Video evidence released this morning of Pietrangelo getting on a private jet, supposedly on his way to Vegas. So seems to be just about a guarantee he'll be headed there. Question now is who they'll dump to be able to squeeze him in. Rumors they've been actively trying to deal Martinez, Schmidt, Fleury, and/or Pacioretty. Something has to give there. And if everyone's paying attention, the number of teams who are going to be over the cap and desperately needing to dump salary is starting to climb. At some point, there isn't going to be anywhere to send the players they want to dump and they're going to have to compete with each other to find a team that can take on cap space.

I know that it has already been suggested, but how about Tuch for a 3rd 2021?

39 minutes ago, electron58 said:

There are a lot of variables out there, and as much as I am NOT a fan of Bergevin, I'm not convinced that he is finished. I'm sure he is weighing all his options, and who knows, maybe he IS trying to think 2 or 3 moves ahead.  Still players available, so we will have to be patient and hope. I am more optimistic this year, than the several previous years.

And the other side of the coin as well is acquiring a player through a straight trade ...Montreal has a fair number of moving parts  /  younger prospects / draft picks in 2021 that could be utilized and the smoke hasn't exactly cleared for many team's cap situations ..I'm cautiously optimistic . No matter what happens Bergevin will be criticized ...can you imagine if he signed Simmonds for $2 mill ...half would like it half wouldn't 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

And more surprisingly, Johnson clears waivers, so Tampa hasn't fixed their cap issues yet. Still room to offersheet Sergachev or Cirelli for another team and force Tampa's hands. Still room to take Johnson from Tampa but demand they throw in a 1st rounder to make the deal happen.

Very surprised indeed. He's a quality forward on a decent contract and term compared to what we're seeing being offered the last couple days. Just goes to show how tight owners and GM's are being in this pandemic. Agreed that Tampa is really exposed right now.

8 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

Lots of goalies signing for less than what Allen costs us. :(

Yeah but we got term on our side. The thing i like about Allen is that he did a great job coming off the bench as a backup last year. A lot of the guys being signed are starters that would probably reject a backup role or are unproven in that role. It's tough only playing a game every week or two and staying sharp. We had the cap room this year and we'll have to revisit the backup role after that.

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah but we got term on our side. The thing i like about Allen is that he did a great job coming off the bench as a backup last year. A lot of the guys being signed are starters that would probably reject a backup role or are unproven in that role. It's tough only playing a game every week or two and staying sharp. We had the cap room this year and we'll have to revisit the backup role after that.

Just curious.  Who do we leave unprotected for the Kraken?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Really shocked actually. There are tons of teams - especially bottom feeders - where he'd not only easily make the roster but probably be one of their top 6 players.   I guess it shows how weird this 'off season' really is. 

30 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

Lots of goalies signing for less than what Allen costs us. :(

Right but aside from Lundquist (who has regressed so much that the rangers just replaced him with our castoff, Kinkaid)  They all signed for term. I think the 1 year aspect was crucial for MB because there's a very good chance Primeau is ready in 1 year and we dont want to push back his development because we have Crawford or Talbot or Holtby on contract for 2 - 3 years.

I dont have any problem with the Allen move.  I still dont love the Edmundson one though. 

5 minutes ago, electron58 said:

The way the ED is set up, there's an expectation you will expose a few good players on every team. Thats just the reality of it.  We dont have to protect Suzuki, Romanov, Poehling or Brook so thats good but JK will have to be.   Price and Petry both have NTC so they have to be protected (unless they waive them).  Of course we dont know what our roster will look like by next year but based on what we have now: 

By Position:

G:  Price is our guy (Primeau, thankfully will not be eligible).  Allen's contract will run out so we might have to acquire a goalie to be eligible if we dont have one. 
D: Petry is automatically protected and I assume Weber will be too. After that I am assuming that one of Chiarot or Edmonson gets protected. Fleury and Juulsen are eligible. Someone on our blueline that is a quality #4-5 will be left unprotected. 
F: JK, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Anderson are no brainers imho.  After that its murky.  We have 1 more slot... so: Lehks maybe?  Byron will almost certainly be left exposed. 

I think we have a better chance of losing a D than a F since most of our best players fall into the top 7 (and we have two key exceptions).  Thankfully you only lose one guy. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Really shocked actually. There are tons of teams - especially bottom feeders - where he'd not only easily make the roster but probably be one of their top 6 players.   I guess it shows how weird this 'off season' really is. 

Right but aside from Lundquist (who has regressed so much that the rangers just replaced him with our castoff, Kinkaid)  They all signed for term. I think the 1 year aspect was crucial for MB because there's a very good chance Primeau is ready in 1 year and we dont want to push back his development because we have Crawford or Talbot or Holtby on contract for 2 - 3 years.

I dont have any problem with the Allen move.  I still dont love the Edmundson one though. 

The way the ED is set up, there's an expectation you will expose a few good players on every team. Thats just the reality of it.  We dont have to protect Suzuki, Romanov, Poehling or Brook so thats good but JK will have to be.   Price and Petry both have NTC so they have to be protected (unless they waive them).  Of course we dont know what our roster will look like by next year but based on what we have now: 

By Position:

G:  Price is our guy (Primeau, thankfully will not be eligible).  Allen's contract will run out so we might have to acquire a goalie to be eligible if we dont have one. 
D: Petry is automatically protected and I assume Weber will be too. After that I am assuming that one of Chiarot or Edmonson gets protected. Fleury and Juulsen are eligible. Someone on our blueline that is a quality #4-5 will be left unprotected. 
F: JK, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Anderson are no brainers imho.  After that its murky.  We have 1 more slot... so: Lehks maybe?  Byron will almost certainly be left exposed. 

I think we have a better chance of losing a D than a F since most of our best players fall into the top 7 (and we have two key exceptions).  Thankfully you only lose one guy. 

Sorry maas_art.  I meant to say - which goalie? If Lingren is still with the team, after clearing waivers, would he be eligible? & yes, I'm expecting to lose a D as well.  Right now, we have quite a few D under contract that would be eligible. But then, you never know.  Maybe the right forward is left unprotected.

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

By Position:

The one thing to note though is IF MB chooses he can leave Juulsen, Mete and Lehkonen as well as other fringe players who are FA and RFA's unextended and unprotected as those players while being better than anything we leave exposed come with a huge risk for the Kracken. They probably wouldn't select a Lehkonen who is scheduled to hit FA less than a week later over say Chiarot who is signed for another year.

39 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I’ve gone thru this in a previous post but perhaps there will be a new thread on this. 7 forwards depends on who is resigned but likely Drouin, KK, Anderson, Lehkonen as an RFA, then assume Gallagher and Danault likely resigned. I expect Tatar to go to free agency, and also Armia. You have to offer 2 forwards - Almost certain Byron is one of two forwards we offer up, and perhaps evans subject to games played.  Protect 3 defense - Petry is a nmc and a lock, and given the term Edmundson is another. After that it’s one of Weber, Chiarot or Kulak. A lot Of debate to leave Weber’s massive cap contract unprotected because if he is claimed, it takes a big cap hit off the books for an aging slower dman. We have to offer them at least one D from the above and could be including an rfa offer to Mete. In net pretty easy to offer a contract to MCNiven who would be offered up as Price is protected 

Based on my above scenario you could resign and protect 

KK, Gallagher, Drouin, Danault, Evans, Anderson and Tatar (or Other forward we had traded or signed)

Weber, Petry and Edmondson 

Price

Unprotected FA and RFA's

Armia, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Mete, Fleury, Allen, Lindgren and McNiven.

Unprotected signed players

Weal (resigned) Byron, Chiarot, Kulak and Ouellet

Of course we would then need to sign or one of Allen, McNiven and Lindgren to expose. My çhoice is McNivev, if he is not selected he can play behind whoever is starting in Laval or Trois Rivers.

Given the choices or lack there of the Kracken would select one of Byron, Weal, Chiarot or Kulak, most likely Chiarot.

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

By Position:

- On D, I would personally protect Petry, Weber, and Fleury (or Juulsen if he really has a great year and seems more vulnerable to being picked). Zero reason to protect Chiarot or Edmundson, although I agree with you that the Habs may do just that.

- Up front, I'd protect JK, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, Anderson, Lehkonen, and Evans. I'd leave Tatar and Armia exposed as UFA's and Byron.

- As for goalies, since we re-signed McNiven and he's an RFA after this season, he would actually qualify as a goaltender for us to expose, so long as we give him a qualifying offer. That issue should be taken care of as a result. Lindgren and Allen would be UFA's and wouldn't count unless re-signed prior to the draft, but McNiven does count...

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Leafs dump Johnsson to NJ.

Chi trades Saad to Colorado for Zadorov in 2-for-2 deal.

So trade market still ongoing here. Room for MB to look at an acquisition?

Just an awful dump by Laffs - could not even get a draft choice for Johnsson - that’s what happens when you have no leverage and their RFA Mikhayev files for salary arbitration- their comedy show gets better and better 

MB can just wait it out for a Reasonable LW - you think any of the better names want to play for those non contender teams with large cap room? 

11 minutes ago, Litany said:

Mikhayev filing for arbitration is ironically in the team's benefit.  He's not going to get much either way, but if the arbitrator gives a two year deal the Leafs get one of his UFA years at the pittance Mikhayev's going to receive.

i thought arbitration was always one year deals

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Just an awful dump by Laffs - could not even get a draft choice for Johnsson - that’s what happens when you have no leverage and their RFA Mikhayev files for salary arbitration- their comedy show gets better and better 

MB can just wait it out for a Reasonable LW - you think any of the better names want to play for those non contender teams with large cap room? 

Think it really depends on the player. Most of these UFA's are well into the 2nd half of their careers, so winning might be more important to them than a young guy who wants to make money and provide for his family. A guy like Hall is going to be set up for life financially no matter where he signs and he's already proven himself on an individual level. The knock on him is that he hasn't been able to make any type of statement in the playoffs. So my guess is that he's narrowed things down to teams he think he can win with. Colorado was rumored to be interested in him but they just acquired Saad. Boston is also rumored to have made an offer but they're going full Marian Hossa on him and trying to get him for one year only. That said, teams that have a shot at becoming a winner with Hall AND have at least 7M in cap space right now (i.e. won't need to make a significant trade to clear space for him) would be IMO

- NYR

- Nas

- Bos

- Col

- Clb

- Dal

- NYI

- Phi

-Van

That said, the Isles have to re-sign Barzal, Pulock, etc. so they really don't have much cap room. Ditto for Dallas with Gurianov, Hintz, Faksa. Philly and the Rangers don't really need a top 6 LW and I'd say the same about Colorado with their wealth of forwards right now. So that leaves me with Boston, Columbus, Nashville, and Vancouver. Clb has to pay Dubois but should still have cap space left over after that. Not sure I really see Vancouver as a serious bidder for Hall though. Not in any rumors, more focused on building around a younger group, and they only have 5 D men signed thus far.

None of this is to say that another suitor can't come in with a bid, but our biggest competition in terms of need, cap space, and ability to be competitive in the playoffs would be Boston (who are rumored to be offering a 1-year deal), Columbus, and Nashville. Not sure Clb or Nas is any further ahead than us when it comes to being competitive, so it could really be a toss-up based on what contracts are being offered and where Hall wants to play. If we want to throw politics and health into the mix, you also need to wonder if playing in Canada during the COVID fiasco could also be appealing to a Canadian who wants to avoid the American health system and COVID risk. Historically, we've never done well in these types of races and we supposedly came 2nd in the Duchene race despite the fact we made more sense on paper (taxes and weather aside). So won't get my hopes up too high for Hall, but I also don't think it's out of the question. MB didn't shoot down the idea, which he almost always does, and Hall is rumored to not have ruled us out either, so I guess you never know.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic