Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

So... if we're now in a mini quarantine, and we're missing games we're going to have to make up later...

 

would this not be the absolute best time to make a trade?  Your incoming player only loses about 1/2 the games he would otherwise due to quarantine...   Just sayin' 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

well having the Ottawa game on the 29th would be a start I presume 

Four games in a row vs the Sens so it would be the time to make up at least that missed game,,, unless of course this thing stretches out with further players or staff entering protocol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the league cancelled postponed games at the end of the season if the outcome of the games had no effect on the final standings. 

it could come to a point where not every team plays 56  games and we go by point percentage. It is what it is, we all knew there would be hiccups this season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ooooooof, cancelled until after the weekend. Yikes. I guess that means there are confirmed cases of COVID on the team.

There would have to be and there is rumored to be at least 1 case. We know JK and Armia got put on the COVID list, which means one of 3 things:

1. They are true positives

2. They are false positives

3. They are close contacts of a positive

So if they were false positives, they would have rerun tests and those results are available within 12 hours or so. So the same day or the next day as they were placed on the COVID list, they would have been cleared and removed. If they were close contacts only, they would be tested regularly and remain in quarantine for whatever length of time, but if they were testing negative initially, then the rest of the team theoretically wouldn't be at risk. In other words, let's say JK and Armia were in contact with Person C on Sunday who turned out to be positive. On Monday, they get put in isolation but test negative themselves. At that point, there would be minimal risk that anyone else would be at risk on the squad because those two players would have been removed from being in contact before they became positive.

So the only scenario at this point that makes sense is that at least one (so maybe not both but at least one) did test positive. At this point, the entire rest of the team or at least several others on the squad would be considered close contacts and at risk, so now everyone else needs to be monitored and re-tested to see if they turn positive too. Theoretically, this would require everyone quarantining for 14 days from time of last contact if you follow Quebec guidelines, although it sounds like the Habs and league are hoping 7 days is enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Sens - beat Calgary -we are now 4 points up with 3 games in hand, so now Winnipeg needs to beat the nucks so that we can be 2 points up with 6 games in hand on them. A little early for scoreboard watching but maybe it makes Bergevin more comfortable about not  giving up some farm for a rental 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Marc Bergevin (per John Lu):

Bergevin says one player's test came back positive as a result of close contact, leading to the NHL shutting down operations. The player re-tested positive again. Bergevin says so far the virus hasn't spread & if that trend continues, resumption next Monday is possible.

It sounds like, when MB says "from close contact' that the player got the virus from a staff member ( trainer, coach etc) who first tested positive.  

He (MB) also said he couldnt comment on the status/health etc of any of the staff members. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the situation under this pandemic the season should not even started. The baseball type schedule is brutal and boring as hell. None of the North teams have no idea how they stack up against the US clubs and will not until playoffs. Personally I think they are in for a shock. In the event that other teams enter the Covid protocol and I am sure they will then what happens? Teams making the playoffs playing 56 games and others by some percentage system is BS!!! All games should be played out. The Habs have 16 games in 30 days for April. Where the hell are they going to fit these four missed games? Playing every second night with travel in between as well as practice  does not fair well for the players. Should this happen again then what? This is rediculous and the season should have been cancelled. The cases are on the rise in both Canada & the US and these new variants are much more contagious than the original Covid-19. 

Reducing the quarantine to 7 days is another huge mistake and one that will not be taken well with the general public. Why is there segregation for the NHL? I am sure this will create some controversy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, richard464 said:

With the situation under this pandemic the season should not even started. The baseball type schedule is brutal and boring as hell. None of the North teams have no idea how they stack up against the US clubs and will not until playoffs. Personally I think they are in for a shock. In the event that other teams enter the Covid protocol and I am sure they will then what happens? Teams making the playoffs playing 56 games and others by some percentage system is BS!!! All games should be played out. The Habs have 16 games in 30 days for April. Where the hell are they going to fit these four missed games? Playing every second night with travel in between as well as practice  does not fair well for the players. Should this happen again then what? This is rediculous and the season should have been cancelled. The cases are on the rise in both Canada & the US and these new variants are much more contagious than the original Covid-19. 

Reducing the quarantine to 7 days is another huge mistake and one that will not be taken well with the general public. Why is there segregation for the NHL? I am sure this will create some controversy!

I assume they’ll just tac the extra games on to the end of the schedule. One extra week or so of regular season to catch up on all the missed games before the playoffs start shouldn’t be a big deal.

And yea, the new variants might be more contagious, but unless I’m misinformed, they are also less dangerous. And 7 days for quarantine is plenty considering all of these players are already basically living in a bubble. There are many professions that have been passing through the border this whole time, I believe with no quarantine whatsoever. I’ve worked through this whole ordeal, I imagine you have as well, as has most of society. Why should athletes not be afforded the same chance to earn their living? Or maybe more accurately, as I’m sure they would still get paid regardless of if they played this year, why shouldn’t the owners be afforded the chance to cover the cost, to whatever degree that they are able to do so without actually being able to sell tickets. Besides, sports are important, they serve a sociological need. Sports keep the masses at ease, gives us a sense of normalcy. They act as a sort of pressure valve. 
I’m glad they found a way to get some sort of season going. And I agree with you that teams only playing in their divisional bubbles might give a false sense of how they stack up, that could be said about every division, not just the North. What’s interesting to me is it almost doesn’t mater. No team will play another from outside of their division until the semi’s. So best case scenario, we (or whoever else from the North) will only have to get through one other team in the semi’s, and one more for the cup. It’s a really good year for an underdog story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

. Why should athletes not be afforded the same chance to earn their living? Or maybe more accurately, as I’m sure they would still get paid regardless of if they played this year, why shouldn’t the owners be afforded the chance to cover the cost, to whatever degree that they are able to do so without actually being able to sell tickets. Besides, sports are important, they serve a sociological need. Sports keep the masses at ease, gives us a sense of normalcy. 

These guys make millions and live a privileged life . Let's  open, with restrictions ,bars , restaurants , spas, gyms , hair salons etc - so these people can survive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:


I’m glad they found a way to get some sort of season going. And I agree with you that teams only playing in their divisional bubbles might give a false sense of how they stack up, that could be said about every division, not just the North. What’s interesting to me is it almost doesn’t mater. No team will play another from outside of their division until the semi’s. So best case scenario, we (or whoever else from the North) will only have to get through one other team in the semi’s, and one more for the cup. It’s a really good year for an underdog story

I don't understand why the North division is considered a weak division personally. I know the Leafs suck come playoff time, but i think the Jets and Oilers match up pretty good with most teams from the States and we've shown flashes of being able to play with the better teams, so who knows,,,, the cup champion could very well be from Canada this year. A Canadian team is guaranteed to be in the top 4 so anything could happen at that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So apparently MB is not trying to create cap space to make another move. If (and that's always a big if with MB) we're to take him at his word, then the only thing we might see is a trade of roster players of equal or less cap value rather then a trade of picks to another team with Cap space like the Hawks to eat the contract of someone like Byron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't understand why the North division is considered a weak division personally. I know the Leafs suck come playoff time, but i think the Jets and Oilers match up pretty good with most teams from the States and we've shown flashes of being able to play with the better teams, so who knows,,,, the cup champion could very well be from Canada this year. A Canadian team is guaranteed to be in the top 4 so anything could happen at that point.

I think it’s because if you look at the list of really good teams, that under normal circumstances would be in our division, this division is considerably weaker. Subtract Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton. Sub in Tampa, Boston and Florida. Mix in the other really good teams in the eastern conference that we would’ve played a bunch in the regular season, and likely would have also matched up against in the early rounds of the playoffs. Washington, NYI, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Philly. 
But I mostly agree with you, one of us Canadian teams will make the semi’s, and most of these other teams will eliminate themselves. Not a bad position to be in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

So apparently MB is not trying to create cap space to make another move. If (and that's always a big if with MB) we're to take him at his word, then the only thing we might see is a trade of roster players of equal or less cap value rather then a trade of picks to another team with Cap space like the Hawks to eat the contract of someone like Byron.

I think we will trade cap space if he can and if he has another trade/player to fill that cap room. Byron is easily the key player who fits that bill. But in terms of other guys I think he's going to see as expendable, I think Lehkonen and Armia top that list and with Caufield now signed, maybe Tatar as well. Mete is also expendable but has little value right now. I don't see any of Suzuki, JK, Drouin, Toffoli, Gallagher, or Anderson heading anywhere and I don't think MB thinks he can make a playoff run without Danault, Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson, or Price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I don't understand why the North division is considered a weak division personally. I know the Leafs suck come playoff time, but i think the Jets and Oilers match up pretty good with most teams from the States and we've shown flashes of being able to play with the better teams, so who knows,,,, the cup champion could very well be from Canada this year. A Canadian team is guaranteed to be in the top 4 so anything could happen at that point.

 

2 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I think it’s because if you look at the list of really good teams, that under normal circumstances would be in our division, this division is considerably weaker. Subtract Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton. Sub in Tampa, Boston and Florida. Mix in the other really good teams in the eastern conference that we would’ve played a bunch in the regular season, and likely would have also matched up against in the early rounds of the playoffs. Washington, NYI, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Philly. 
But I mostly agree with you, one of us Canadian teams will make the semi’s, and most of these other teams will eliminate themselves. Not a bad position to be in

You look at the North division and there aren't any top threats to the Cup there. Outside of the fact one of the teams in the division has to make it out, these wouldn't be teams you would say were likely to make the ECF or WCF in a normal year. Toronto has a lot of firepower offensively but they have a label of being chokers. Edmonton has a serious hole in net and a subpar defence, despite having McDavid and Draisaitl. Winnipeg has the forwards and goalie, but their D corps may be the worst in the league.

If I was going to rank the top teams in the league in terms of who I would have bet on to win the Cup without the current division alignment, I would have argued
 

1. Las Vegas

2. Tampa Bay

3. Colorado

4. Boston

5. Washington

6. Carolina

7. Pittsburgh

8. Toronto

 

I would have had Dallas and Philly up a bit higher than they've performed so far, but on the other hand, the Isles and Florida have played well enough to challenge Toronto for that 8th spot as well. Past that, Winnipeg, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary are all in the mix for being playoff teams, but they're not top 10 challengers in the league. So that is why in general it looks like a weak division.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

You look at the North division and there aren't any top threats to the Cup there. Outside of the fact one of the teams in the division has to make it out, these wouldn't be teams you would say were likely to make the ECF or WCF in a normal year. Toronto has a lot of firepower offensively but they have a label of being chokers. Edmonton has a serious hole in net and a subpar defence, despite having McDavid and Draisaitl. Winnipeg has the forwards and goalie, but their D corps may be the worst in the league.

If I was going to rank the top teams in the league in terms of who I would have bet on to win the Cup without the current division alignment, I would have argued
 

1. Las Vegas

2. Tampa Bay

3. Colorado

4. Boston

5. Washington

6. Carolina

7. Pittsburgh

8. Toronto

 

I would have had Dallas and Philly up a bit higher than they've performed so far, but on the other hand, the Isles and Florida have played well enough to challenge Toronto for that 8th spot as well. Past that, Winnipeg, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary are all in the mix for being playoff teams, but they're not top 10 challengers in the league. So that is why in general it looks like a weak division.

 

Colorado is proving they are not serious contenders this year IMO and especially not top 3. Pittsburgh and Toronto have serious D and 3rd and 4th line issues. Carolina is too week in goal and have very little depth at the 3 and 4 C positions. Also Winnipeg's D is not as bad as what they are made out to be at least IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Colorado is proving they are not serious contenders this year IMO and especially not top 3. Pittsburgh and Toronto have serious D and 3rd and 4th line issues. Carolina is too week in goal and have very little depth at the 3 and 4 C positions. Also Winnipeg's D is not as bad as what they are made out to be at least IMO.

1. Colorado is a top 5 team in winning percentage, what have they done to make you think they are not contenders? Many hockey experts had them as Cup favorites at the start of the year.

2. Pittsburgh has issues with depth, but they have shown that Crosby/Malkin/Letang have been able to overcome this in the past, whereas Toronto has not been able to, hence why I would rank Pit above Tor for now.

3. Carolina is a very strong team. They have an excellent system. And I don't think they're lacking depth at center... Aho is a clear 1C. Trocheck and Staal are good 2C/3C, and they have Necar and Geekie who can play center and move up and down the line-up if needed in addition to Martinook at a bottom 6 center. Their goalies are not stars, but all 3 of them are putting up good numbers this year, and the D corps in front of them might be the best in the league if you look at their top 4 as well as the 6 guys they're able to line up. This team will be a hard out this year.

4. The Jets' D is bad. Pionk is having a good year and Morrissey is legit, but I don't see either as a top 30 D man in the league.. Past that, they have no one. Demelo bad. Poolman bad. Beaulieu bad. Forbort bad. Stanley meh. That's a lot of minutes played with weak defencemen on the ice. They have strengths in other areas of the line-up, but they're at high risk of being exposed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Colorado is a top 5 team in winning percentage, what have they done to make you think they are not contenders? Many hockey experts had them as Cup favorites at the start of the year.

2. Pittsburgh has issues with depth, but they have shown that Crosby/Malkin/Letang have been able to overcome this in the past, whereas Toronto has not been able to, hence why I would rank Pit above Tor for now.

3. Carolina is a very strong team. They have an excellent system. And I don't think they're lacking depth at center... Aho is a clear 1C. Trocheck and Staal are good 2C/3C, and they have Necar and Geekie who can play center and move up and down the line-up if needed in addition to Martinook at a bottom 6 center. Their goalies are not stars, but all 3 of them are putting up good numbers this year, and the D corps in front of them might be the best in the league if you look at their top 4 as well as the 6 guys they're able to line up. This team will be a hard out this year.

4. The Jets' D is bad. Pionk is having a good year and Morrissey is legit, but I don't see either as a top 30 D man in the league.. Past that, they have no one. Demelo bad. Poolman bad. Beaulieu bad. Forbort bad. Stanley meh. That's a lot of minutes played with weak defencemen on the ice. They have strengths in other areas of the line-up, but they're at high risk of being exposed.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, this is an odd year many teams will have a challenge in the playoffs playing teams they have not seen all year, you can do video all you want but on the ice you have to play a team to know it. will experience be as much of a factor with this new dynamic? there is still a chance for some teams to shore up weak spots for the playoffs too so that may alter things a bit. all in all it is going to be something new for the sport I don't know if it will be better or worse but I kind of like the change for a season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Colorado is a top 5 team in winning percentage, what have they done to make you think they are not contenders? Many hockey experts had them as Cup favorites at the start of the year.

2. Pittsburgh has issues with depth, but they have shown that Crosby/Malkin/Letang have been able to overcome this in the past, whereas Toronto has not been able to, hence why I would rank Pit above Tor for now.

3. Carolina is a very strong team. They have an excellent system. And I don't think they're lacking depth at center... Aho is a clear 1C. Trocheck and Staal are good 2C/3C, and they have Necar and Geekie who can play center and move up and down the line-up if needed in addition to Martinook at a bottom 6 center. Their goalies are not stars, but all 3 of them are putting up good numbers this year, and the D corps in front of them might be the best in the league if you look at their top 4 as well as the 6 guys they're able to line up. This team will be a hard out this year.

4. The Jets' D is bad. Pionk is having a good year and Morrissey is legit, but I don't see either as a top 30 D man in the league.. Past that, they have no one. Demelo bad. Poolman bad. Beaulieu bad. Forbort bad. Stanley meh. That's a lot of minutes played with weak defencemen on the ice. They have strengths in other areas of the line-up, but they're at high risk of being exposed.

Colorado's weakness may be goaltending - Grubauer (UFA - end of this year) is playing well but carrying a load - does not look like Francouz is coming back anytime soon. Makes no sense for them to trade for someone like Jake Allen ($4.4M) as they don't have the cap room and would lose him in the entry draft unless they did not protect Francouz. However, I would love Bowen Byram back plus a slug or salary retention, if the avs tried to go all in for a Jake Allen deal. (I have previously posted about the risks of losing Jake Allen to the Krakken in the expansion draft). Other than goaltending risk, I believe the Av's to be a serious contender with Erik Johnson coming back. 

Carolina is a powerhouse - They are getting solid sufficient goaltending from Reimer and Nedeljikovic and solid defence with the relegation of Jake Gardner. Teuvo Teravainen returns from concussion soon. They are a serious team to knock off Tampa Bay in that division. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Colorado is a top 5 team in winning percentage, what have they done to make you think they are not contenders? Many hockey experts had them as Cup favorites at the start of the year.

2. Pittsburgh has issues with depth, but they have shown that Crosby/Malkin/Letang have been able to overcome this in the past, whereas Toronto has not been able to, hence why I would rank Pit above Tor for now.

3. Carolina is a very strong team. They have an excellent system. And I don't think they're lacking depth at center... Aho is a clear 1C. Trocheck and Staal are good 2C/3C, and they have Necar and Geekie who can play center and move up and down the line-up if needed in addition to Martinook at a bottom 6 center. Their goalies are not stars, but all 3 of them are putting up good numbers this year, and the D corps in front of them might be the best in the league if you look at their top 4 as well as the 6 guys they're able to line up. This team will be a hard out this year.

4. The Jets' D is bad. Pionk is having a good year and Morrissey is legit, but I don't see either as a top 30 D man in the league.. Past that, they have no one. Demelo bad. Poolman bad. Beaulieu bad. Forbort bad. Stanley meh. That's a lot of minutes played with weak defencemen on the ice. They have strengths in other areas of the line-up, but they're at high risk of being exposed.

1. You are right now the Avs have picked up the pace, last time I checked though (less than a month ago) they were barely hanging on to the 4th spot in their division. They were having trouble beating teams like LA, SJ and Ana much like Montreal was struggling against Ott, Cal and Van. 

2. I don't think Pittsburgh can overcome their short comings this year in fact I would say that if Philadelphia picks up their play even slightly Pittsburgh is on the outside looking in at the end of the season.

3. Carolina has the same kind of center depth as we did before getting Staal. Their top guys are better than ours but are also too young and inexperienced to say they are a contender right now much like ours. Their 4th line center should be a top 9 center and once the playoffs start will be pushed around like Domi was for us because he will be facing bigger checking lines instead of skilled lines. I think that is a major issue with the development of young skilled centers right now. They need to play in the top 9 not on the 4th line especially headed into the playoffs. Their goaltending IMO is really bad, basically they are playing 2 good backups as a tandem. That is not a Cup winning strategy IMO.

4. The Jets D might not be Carolina good but it is not any worse than ours either. So while I think it could be better, it's not bottom 10 of the league either like many believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, this is an odd year many teams will have a challenge in the playoffs playing teams they have not seen all year, you can do video all you want but on the ice you have to play a team to know it. will experience be as much of a factor with this new dynamic? there is still a chance for some teams to shore up weak spots for the playoffs too so that may alter things a bit. all in all it is going to be something new for the sport I don't know if it will be better or worse but I kind of like the change for a season.

Agreed with you. My commentary was in response to the question of why the Canadian division is considered weak and how I would rank teams across the league, not on who now has the best shot at the Cup this year. I would certainly look at teams like Pittsburgh and Boston and Washington as being stronger playoff teams than anyone in our division, but given the alignment, only one of them is going to come out of their pool and only one team from our division will come out too. This season is a chance for a team like the Habs, Leafs, or Oilers or so on to make the Cup semi-finals when they ordinarily would have had a tougher route to make that happen. If it were an ordinary season, the Habs would have had to fight with all of TB, Fla, Bos, and Tor just to make the playoffs, then go through two of them to get out of the division. This year, they might have to go through Toronto and one of Wpg, Edm, or Cal. The quality of competition is lower.

As you alluded to, still too early to know who will make changes, although the quarantine period and cap constraints with shrinking revenues due to COVID are also hurting teams' ability to spend at the deadline too. We'll see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

1. You are right now the Avs have picked up the pace, last time I checked though (less than a month ago) they were barely hanging on to the 4th spot in their division. They were having trouble beating teams like LA, SJ and Ana much like Montreal was struggling against Ott, Cal and Van. 

2. I don't think Pittsburgh can overcome their short comings this year in fact I would say that if Philadelphia picks up their play even slightly Pittsburgh is on the outside looking in at the end of the season.

3. Carolina has the same kind of center depth as we did before getting Staal. Their top guys are better than ours but are also too young and inexperienced to say they are a contender right now much like ours. Their 4th line center should be a top 9 center and once the playoffs start will be pushed around like Domi was for us because he will be facing bigger checking lines instead of skilled lines. I think that is a major issue with the development of young skilled centers right now. They need to play in the top 9 not on the 4th line especially headed into the playoffs. Their goaltending IMO is really bad, basically they are playing 2 good backups as a tandem. That is not a Cup winning strategy IMO.

4. The Jets D might not be Carolina good but it is not any worse than ours either. So while I think it could be better, it's not bottom 10 of the league either like many believe.

- Agreed that Philly can be in the same class as Pit or Tor. They just haven't shown it yet and again, I'll come back to Pittsburgh having repeatedly shown they can win in the playoffs with Crosby/Malkin. They're not a deep team, but Crosby can carry a team if he's hot.

- Don't really get your point about inexperience at center for Carolina. Aho is a clear 1C in the NHL. He's in his 5th year, and he's been a perennial 30-goal scorer for the past couple. He has the exact same amount of experience as Matthews. Trocheck is 27 and been around for 7-8 years, and Staal is a Cup-winning veteran who's still good. Again, not saying their goaltending is elite, but their system, coaching, and especially D corps make up for this. They play in a way that allows their goalies to play well. And it doesn't hurt that they have a ton of great talent in their prime.

- As for the Jets, we'll have to agree to disagree. Their bottom 4 D men are all ranked extremely low. I'll take Petry/Weber over Pionk/Morrissey, and I'll take Kulak and Edmundson and Romanov over anyone in their bottom 4. Our D, as bad as our left side is, is significantly better than theirs. Conversely, I'll ask which 10 teams have D corps that are worse than Winnipeg's (ie where you would trade the entire D for Winnipeg's D and feel like you won that trade)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...