The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

Three-year, entry-level contract for Jan Mysak. Mysak has two goals in 13 games with the AHL's Laval Rocket this season.

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Tuesday that the team has agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level contract (2021-22 to 2023-24) with forward Jan Mysak. The agreement, which has an AAV of $850,833, will see Mysak earn $750,000 at the NHL level in both 2021-22 and 2022-23, and $775,000 in 2023-24. The deal also contains signing bonus payments of $92,500 each year. Mysak is set to make $80,000 per season at the AHL level.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

He looked a little uncomfortable late but thats about it.

According to the Habs' twitter feed, Price is not going to Toronto - Lindgren will backup Allen and Primeau will go on the taxi squad.

If you believe HEOTP, it might just be a minor issue they want to let him heal up:

"It is likely that with another game at home on Thursday that the Canadiens are allowing Price to rest before starting the next game and avoid the back-to-back with travel."

I hope Lindgren doesn't have to play. Stay healthy, Allen. Stay healthy.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Three-year, entry-level contract for Jan Mysak. Mysak has two goals in 13 games with the AHL's Laval Rocket this season.

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Tuesday that the team has agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level contract (2021-22 to 2023-24) with forward Jan Mysak. The agreement, which has an AAV of $850,833, will see Mysak earn $750,000 at the NHL level in both 2021-22 and 2022-23, and $775,000 in 2023-24. The deal also contains signing bonus payments of $92,500 each year. Mysak is set to make $80,000 per season at the AHL level.

Mysak like Cameron Hillis, has to be considered a bit of a long shot to make the big team, but they said the same thing about Jake Evans. I like Mysak's heart and effort, and he could be good supporting cast in Laval for at least a couple of years. I certainly hope Joel Bouchard can develop him, and he may fit better on the wing.

If anyone is wondering how our past-prime veterans stack up among the NHL community, ESPN did a survey of players, GM's, and execs in the NHL regarding top players in the NHL at each position:

- Despite his numbers, Carey Price was voted 3rd best goalie in the league behind Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. He was also 3rd overall in a survey of other goalies. So it would seem to indicate Price still has a reputation as a great goalie and as such, might still have trade value despite his age and contract.

- Conversely among defencemen listed as possible options on the survey, Shea Weber was the only D man in the survey to not register any top 10 votes among any players, GM's, or execs. So people in the league clearly see that his play has deteriorated and he's largely not considered to be a top defenceman any more. My guess is he would have minimal trade value given his contract.

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

If anyone is wondering how our past-prime veterans stack up among the NHL community, ESPN did a survey of players, GM's, and execs in the NHL regarding top players in the NHL at each position:

- Despite his numbers, Carey Price was voted 3rd best goalie in the league behind Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. He was also 3rd overall in a survey of other goalies. So it would seem to indicate Price still has a reputation as a great goalie and as such, might still have trade value despite his age and contract.

- Conversely among defencemen listed as possible options on the survey, Shea Weber was the only D man in the survey to not register any top 10 votes among any players, GM's, or execs. So people in the league clearly see that his play has deteriorated and he's largely not considered to be a top defenceman any more. My guess is he would have minimal trade value given his contract.

Yup.  I think Price playing the only position where an older player can still excel (Thomas won the Vezina at like 38 or something I think?) helps.   Just because he's had or is having a bad year doesnt mean he cant bounce back.

Conversely I think Weber is clearly trending downward.  I know that some older players (Petry!) continue to improve, but Shea is showing signs of deterioration in every facet of his game (even some parts I didnt think he would lose a step at).   So the idea of him 'bouncing back' (aside from maybe a good stretch or a couple of good games) is highly unlikely. 

While I agree that his trade value would be minimal, I do think he's 100% tradeable (and quite easily).  Teams like Ottawa or Arizona would love to get ahold of a cap hit that is higher than actual dollars owed.   I doubt you'd be able to get more than a middling player + mid level pick for him right now though. If we can afford him, keeping him on our roster isn't the worst idea based on his value at this point.  That said, moving him down the lineup is imperative.  Will the coaches see - or acknowledge this? thats another story. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yup.  I think Price playing the only position where an older player can still excel (Thomas won the Vezina at like 38 or something I think?) helps.   Just because he's had or is having a bad year doesnt mean he cant bounce back.

Conversely I think Weber is clearly trending downward.  I know that some older players (Petry!) continue to improve, but Shea is showing signs of deterioration in every facet of his game (even some parts I didnt think he would lose a step at).   So the idea of him 'bouncing back' (aside from maybe a good stretch or a couple of good games) is highly unlikely. 

While I agree that his trade value would be minimal, I do think he's 100% tradeable (and quite easily).  Teams like Ottawa or Arizona would love to get ahold of a cap hit that is higher than actual dollars owed.   I doubt you'd be able to get more than a middling player + mid level pick for him right now though. If we can afford him, keeping him on our roster isn't the worst idea based on his value at this point.  That said, moving him down the lineup is imperative.  Will the coaches see - or acknowledge this? thats another story. 

I don't disagree with that. But the offer you might get from Ottawa now could be like Nick Paul and a 3rd round pick, whereas if you had traded Weber 2 years ago, it wouldn't have been out of the question to have asked a team like Colorado for a player like Byram or Timmins or to have asked Carolina for Bean and a high draft pick. That's the downside. Wait any longer and the Habs will need to throw in a high pick to have someone east Weber's salary.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't disagree with that. But the offer you might get from Ottawa now could be like Nick Paul and a 3rd round pick, whereas if you had traded Weber 2 years ago, it wouldn't have been out of the question to have asked a team like Colorado for a player like Byram or Timmins or to have asked Carolina for Bean and a high draft pick. That's the downside. Wait any longer and the Habs will need to throw in a high pick to have someone east Weber's salary.

Oh i totally agree. 2 years ago, when he came back from that year long injury and started the year strong (there was even Norris chatter for the first few months) would have been the time to do it. Clearly we werent in any position to win then. But as you and I have discussed at length, I dont think MB has even considered for one minute moving on from Weber.

Maybe that changes now - you see Petry being clearly better than him, Kulak and Romanov most nights looking better.  Heck even Edmundson I think looks a little less lost than Shea right now.  I still hope its some sort of injury but considering he looked good the first few games of the year and then the first couple of games after the covid break... I think... it might be just age. You know im a fan. I really like Weber - loved him before we ever got him - but ultimately its about making your team better.  

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Oh i totally agree. 2 years ago, when he came back from that year long injury and started the year strong (there was even Norris chatter for the first few months) would have been the time to do it. Clearly we werent in any position to win then. But as you and I have discussed at length, I dont think MB has even considered for one minute moving on from Weber.

Maybe that changes now - you see Petry being clearly better than him, Kulak and Romanov most nights looking better.  Heck even Edmundson I think looks a little less lost than Shea right now.  I still hope its some sort of injury but considering he looked good the first few games of the year and then the first couple of games after the covid break... I think... it might be just age. You know im a fan. I really like Weber - loved him before we ever got him - but ultimately its about making your team better.  

Yeah, and Weber has done that most of his time here... he's much better to start the year and after the all-star break and he was good coming out of the long COVID break in the bubble. But 5-8 games into any stretch, he falls off a cliff. He can't skate and it's the biggest handicap in today's NHL. For me with Weber, as with most players, it's never been about how good he is or how much I like him. At the end of the day, I don't have any personal hate for any of the players on the team and I want them all to do well. It's always been about whether a guy is being rated fairly and whether he's getting the treatment and role he's earned. The truth is that I might end up finding PK Subban a little annoying in real life, but he seems like a good guy with a good heart and he played his butt off for Montreal and loved this city and team, and he was easily one of my favorite players for how he performed on the ice, and yet despite this, he constantly got the short end of the stick from the coaches. You look at Alex Galchenyuk and the guy clearly had problems off the ice, but man was he talented and he never got a true shot the way one was handed to David Desharnais on a silver platter. I've never said Galchenyuk was Jean Beliveau, I just wanted to know what the guy could do as a 1C for a season, especially in a year when we had zero playoff chances. If opportunity were based on skill and performance alone, then there's zero reason why guys like Galchenyuk, Eller, Briere, Sekac, Andrighetto etc. should have been on the 4th line and guys like Moen, Prust, Blunden, and King playing on the 2nd or 3rd lines. There's zero reason Murray or Bouillon should have had opportunity over Beaulieu or Tinordi or Pateryn. There's no reason Chiarot should be preferred over Kulak. If Kulak came in here and got 24 minutes a night from the coaches and was raved about as a possible #1 D man, I'd probably be writing about why he doesn't deserve that spot or praise. But instead, the guy's been pushed in and out of the line-up behind lesser players so the storyline there for me is how that's unfair. With Weber, the guy was anointed a savior here by Bergevin based on reputation and how he played a few years ago, and he's still getting ice time and treatment like he's a 28 year-old. If the Habs recognized that Weber is now a #4-5 D man with a big shot who can be useful on the PP in the right context (ie don't just plan your PP around Weber taking shots from 70 feet out without any screens), I'd be perfectly happy with that. Instead they  continue to gush over him for no reason, so the question needs to be asked why.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, and Weber has done that most of his time here... he's much better to start the year and after the all-star break and he was good coming out of the long COVID break in the bubble. But 5-8 games into any stretch, he falls off a cliff. He can't skate and it's the biggest handicap in today's NHL. For me with Weber, as with most players, it's never been about how good he is or how much I like him. At the end of the day, I don't have any personal hate for any of the players on the team and I want them all to do well. It's always been about whether a guy is being rated fairly and whether he's getting the treatment and role he's earned. The truth is that I might end up finding PK Subban a little annoying in real life, but he seems like a good guy with a good heart and he played his butt off for Montreal and loved this city and team, and he was easily one of my favorite players for how he performed on the ice, and yet despite this, he constantly got the short end of the stick from the coaches. You look at Alex Galchenyuk and the guy clearly had problems off the ice, but man was he talented and he never got a true shot the way one was handed to David Desharnais on a silver platter. I've never said Galchenyuk was Jean Beliveau, I just wanted to know what the guy could do as a 1C for a season, especially in a year when we had zero playoff chances. If opportunity were based on skill and performance alone, then there's zero reason why guys like Galchenyuk, Eller, Briere, Sekac, Andrighetto etc. should have been on the 4th line and guys like Moen, Prust, Blunden, and King playing on the 2nd or 3rd lines. There's zero reason Murray or Bouillon should have had opportunity over Beaulieu or Tinordi or Pateryn. There's no reason Chiarot should be preferred over Kulak. If Kulak came in here and got 24 minutes a night from the coaches and was raved about as a possible #1 D man, I'd probably be writing about why he doesn't deserve that spot or praise. But instead, the guy's been pushed in and out of the line-up behind lesser players so the storyline there for me is how that's unfair. With Weber, the guy was anointed a savior here by Bergevin based on reputation and how he played a few years ago, and he's still getting ice time and treatment like he's a 28 year-old. If the Habs recognized that Weber is now a #4-5 D man with a big shot who can be useful on the PP in the right context (ie don't just plan your PP around Weber taking shots from 70 feet out without any screens), I'd be perfectly happy with that. Instead they  continue to gush over him for no reason, so the question needs to be asked why.

Very candid report. Hopefully, we can move away from Weber soon. Also, the Habs are famous for putting players in a position to fail. You don't put snipers on the 4rth line or muckers on the PP. Maybe, as the talent influx grows, we can get a real team going without any weaknesses, a la Tampa Bay. Their only bad luck was elite players getting season ending injuries, and you can't plan for that. Also, now that we have finally gotten away from the old school coaches, we can see what DD can do with a fresh mind, and fresh ideas.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I can't see Habs trading Weber within the division - best we can hope for is for Seattle to be induced to claim him or some other Western conference team that is cash starved (Arizona, or others), that might take him for $6 million cash next year, $3 million the year after and who has cap room. It's appearing we are more likely to have him for 2 years before he retires as a proud guy that just cannot keep up in foot speed in the cycle around our net. It is a tough call to spot declining contributions early and trade away veterans.

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

Weber did not look as horrible in the post-season bubble last year. Certainly I am hoping Fleury or Brook can push him next year down to the 5, 6 pairing. I remember the Randy Carlyle quote - ' You are not an NHL defenceman until you have played 300 games'.  Weber just cannot IMO handle the ice time load he has been given including PP or penalty kill anymore. 

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

I can't see Habs trading Weber within the division - best we can hope for is for Seattle to be induced to claim him or some other Western conference team that is cash starved (Arizona, or others), that might take him for $6 million cash next year, $3 million the year after and who has cap room. It's appearing we are more likely to have him for 2 years before he retires as a proud guy that just cannot keep up in foot speed in the cycle around our net. It is a tough call to spot declining contributions early and trade away veterans.

You know this time last year (or even back to start the year) I would have said ZERO chance we leave Weber exposed. I think its still very unlikely but i dont think that MB would consider Shea "Untouchable" anymore. 

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Weber did not look as horrible in the post-season bubble last year. Certainly I am hoping Fleury or Brook can push him next year down to the 5, 6 pairing.

Shea Weber as a #4-6 dman is a huge luxury. You could really enjoy the good things he still brings but by sheltering him I think he'd be way more effective - but i just cant see how we can afford that with our young players coming off ELCs etc. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Weber did not look as horrible in the post-season bubble last year. Certainly I am hoping Fleury or Brook can push him next year down to the 5, 6 pairing. I remember the Randy Carlyle quote - ' You are not an NHL defenceman until you have played 300 games'.  Weber just cannot IMO handle the ice time load he has been given including PP or penalty kill anymore. 

There is a third option for him I believe, just do what the Av's did with Bourque go out and win him and Price the Cup LOL. I believe that he would strongly consider retirement at that point.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes. This year he’s fallen out of top ten. No doubt. It’s official. 

Couldn't Weber be of value to Nashville? Not on the ice per say but in terms of the potential recapture penalty they could be faced with. I know the penalty was recently amended but they'd still be on the hook for a considerable penalty if he was contemplating retiring before the end of his contract. I'm assuming Weber may not want to play his final years in Montreal, as the fans/pressure could be more than he'd want to deal with especially if his downward trend continues. So why not take up a roster spot on Nashville? He'd be a great 6/7 dman, pp specialist, mentor for them. I just don't see any value in just retiring, whenever that times comes (unless he does want to play out his contract). Just thinking...

2 hours ago, claremont said:

Cale Fleury the non developing player in Laval? 

Brooks? He isn’t even a seventh yet? He is steady. But no better at this point  than the pair of O’s on the Rockets  at they are career AHLets at this point. He better make a big jump soon. 

8 hours ago, dreegking said:

Cale Fleury the non developing player in Laval? 
Brooks? He isn’t even a seventh yet? He is steady. But no better at this point  than the pair of O’s on the Rockets  at they are career AHLets at this point. He better make a big jump soon. 

Yes - it's a big hope but what up and coming naturally RHD do we have? Guhle plays some right, but he's minimum 2 years away. D-men take a little longer to develop so we may have to buy one in F/A, but giving up on drafted D-men like they did with McDonagh should not be repeated. 

Here's Brian Wilde's piece on the game tonight:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7743442/call-of-the-wilde-montreal-canadiens-toronto-maple-leafs-april-7-2021/

Worth the read. It's bang on about Price and Weber, Chiarot and Bergevin. Only thing he doesn't get right is that Price's NMC prevents us from having the option of exposing him in the ED unless he agrees to waive.

14 hours ago, claremont said:

Yes - it's a big hope but what up and coming naturally RHD do we have? Guhle plays some right, but he's minimum 2 years away. D-men take a little longer to develop so we may have to buy one in F/A, but giving up on drafted D-men like they did with McDonagh should not be repeated. 

Ya. Patience. We have 7 guys. All are worthy. Not in bad shape. 

Oloffson can play bottom 6 capably if needed. 

leskinen is rising. Let’s see how he does in the AHL playoffs 

patience. Especially with Brooks. 

fluery. Nah. Don’t see it. He’s been hurt. Stunted again. Wasn’t really improving. Leap frogged by Romanov then leskinen. And brooks too quite frankly. After already been leap frogged by Oloffson. 

The Canadiens have reassigned goaltender Charlie Lindgren to the AHL’s Laval Rocket. He will be available to play in Friday’s game against the Marlies. Goaltender Michael McNiven has also been assigned to the club’s taxi squad.

42 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Can anyone tell me why JK is playing the wing and why he would be replaced by a player who can barely skate the length of the ice. 

I *think* that the coaches believe its a promotion. He's on the "top line" now, at RW.  Considering Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Lehks and Byron have all played RW at times it seems odd. 

On the flip side, they could have put Evans at RW and platooned JK on the 4th line centre role, so... 

I completely agree that he should not be behind Staal in the centre depth dept. As elite as Staal once was, he's now, at best, a role player. He and Perry should be your exploitation 4th liners.  Keep them on the bench, fresh and then throw them out with offensive zone faceoffs or against the opposition's bottom 6. 

13 hours ago, electron58 said:

Actually,  that line is looking pretty good tonight. KK should have had one!  They were in on the first goal, and really had some chances.

I only watched about 10 minutes of the game, but I see Kotkaniemi had two assists... That seems pretty good for RW duty!