Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Well of course depending on the opponent and even during different games and what the score is. The point was I believe at this time we still need Danault because neither Suzuki or JK are ready for that role. It also helps both of their offensive play if Danault is around for the harder shifts. It gives them both more time to develop.   

I was agreeing with on Danault lol. On KK I was just saying he should be given a few more responsibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, electron58 said:

The Canadiens are on the verge of THEIR YEARLY collapse.

Man, I love that word, "Monumental."

But, maybe not in this sentence.  ☹

 

15 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

There fixed it

Yes.  Yes you did. But it still does not make me happy. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig button on TSN 1050 radio  

the Habs absolutely bungled their cap space 

Ryan poehling could bring more than what Eric Staal has brought

the habs put players on waivers so they could free up cap space to sign a 6 th and 7 th d man when they knew they had a forward in college ( Caufield ) 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest concern with dumping MB would be the replacement. It would be so typical of this team to stick to their " must be French" qualification, and to go off the chart and bring in somebody with no experience "a la Houle". I suspect Roy would be in the mix. Could be a home run but the odds say strike out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Craig button on TSN 1050 radio  

the Habs absolutely bungled their cap space 

Ryan poehling could bring more than what Eric Staal has brought

the habs put players on waivers so they could free up cap space to sign a 6 th and 7 th d man when they knew they had a forward in college ( Caufield ) 


Yup.  We lost guys like Juulsen and Mete for nothing  - which is fine if your replacement players are valuable but for Staal? Gustafsson? Merrell?  I dont see the upside. 
 

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

My biggest concern with dumping MB would be the replacement. It would be so typical of this team to stick to their " must be French" qualification, and to go off the chart and bring in somebody with no experience "a la Houle". I suspect Roy would be in the mix. Could be a home run but the odds say strike out.

Agree.  MB does some things well i just think he's a terrible "big picture' guy.   Makes you wonder if we had hired a president of hockey operations like many suggested a few years back, MB could have done his side of things & then the Pres could have looked big picture- might have worked a whole lot better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

My biggest concern with dumping MB would be the replacement. It would be so typical of this team to stick to their " must be French" qualification, and to go off the chart and bring in somebody with no experience "a la Houle". I suspect Roy would be in the mix. Could be a home run but the odds say strike out.

Fiery but passionate Roy would be in the mix, Pierre McGuire would also be scary. The best of the lot might be Bobby Smith who has an MBA, is intelligent and can only moderately get by in French. Bobby has run the Halifax Mooseheads and I think he likes it there too much to put that pressure on himself if he was to apply or accept the position. Pat Brisson the agent would be in the mix as a former player at the junior level, so he certainly would be familiar with contract values and stats but could he evaluate talent and risk perhaps by leaning on Scott Mellanby? Trevor Timmins has paid his dues under Bergevin but let's be realistic - Molson is NOT going to give the job to someone who doesn't at least have passable French and to my knowledge he doesn't.  

If the habs make the playoffs IMO the point is moot - Bergevin will have delivered on his promise to Molson and buy himself one more year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

lol

Ray Ferraro on TSN1050 . the Canadiens Cap is a mess

 

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

When you need to bench one of your best D to get him in the lineup then i would agree with  Ferraro.

Well the big problem is that we seem unable to evaluate our D properly.  Kulak out? Romanov out?   We're keeping in guys like Chairot and Edmundson and Merrill and Gustafsson... i mean any of those guys are fine & probably NHL defensmen on most teams (albeit 3rd pairing) but the evaluation of who should be in & who should be out is disturbing.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

Well the big problem is that we seem unable to evaluate our D properly.  Kulak out? Romanov out?   We're keeping in guys like Chairot and Edmundson and Merrill and Gustafsson... i mean any of those guys are fine & probably NHL defensmen on most teams (albeit 3rd pairing) but the evaluation of who should be in & who should be out is disturbing.   

And as I just said in the Caufield thread, we now need to use our last recall on him if we want Romanov back... would have been much easier to paper Byron down while he's hurt, as he doesn't even need to clear waivers. Bad roster/cap management here. And as you said, now we have maybe the worst D line-up we've iced all year at a time when we need all cylinders firing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

And as I just said in the Caufield thread, we now need to use our last recall on him if we want Romanov back... would have been much easier to paper Byron down while he's hurt, as he doesn't even need to clear waivers. Bad roster/cap management here. And as you said, now we have maybe the worst D line-up we've iced all year at a time when we need all cylinders firing.

We only needed one of Merrill or Gustafsson for the Mete Depth - I was dumbfounded at both. Hard to believe that Brook or one of the O's in Laval could not have been the 8th guy. We were very fortunate (thanking the clangs off the iron and some Flames whiffs), that we won last evening. Teams don't fear our transition game unless it's an alley oop flip to Anderson on the wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, claremont said:

We only needed one of Merrill or Gustafsson for the Mete Depth - I was dumbfounded at both. Hard to believe that Brook or one of the O's in Laval could not have been the 8th guy. We were very fortunate (thanking the clangs off the iron and some Flames whiffs), that we won last evening. Teams don't fear our transition game unless it's an alley oop flip to Anderson on the wing.

It is funny how a team like Calgary can have our number when teams that seem to be much better are the teams we can and do beat. Calgary is one of those teams that match up very well to us and cancel out some of our strong points on paper at the begining of the year many thought Vancover was going to be a powerhouse but we have our way with them heck we even beat the Laffs last time we played them. it is pretty hard to have a transition game against a team Sutter coaches as he clogs the middle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

Well the big problem is that we seem unable to evaluate our D properly.  Kulak out? Romanov out?   We're keeping in guys like Chairot and Edmundson and Merrill and Gustafsson... i mean any of those guys are fine & probably NHL defensmen on most teams (albeit 3rd pairing) but the evaluation of who should be in & who should be out is disturbing.   

Merril through 4 games is pointless and a -2, Gustaffson through 3 games has 2 assists and is +2 ... I would have preferred them keep Romanov and Gustaffson in the lineup and sat Merrill and Chiarot

Gustaffson - Weberr

Edmundson - Petry

Romanov - Kulak

That give you mobility on all three pairs (Gustaffson, Petry, Romanov), defensive awareness (Weber, Edmundson, and both guys on 3rd pair) and good outlet passes (Gustaffson, Petry, Romanov).   Instead we insist on playing Chiarot on the top pair, and Merrill on the bottom pairing.  Merrill has not been horrible, but he is a downgrade from Kulak.   Only downside to the above is the bottom pairing are both LD ... so even better would have been Fleury on the bottom pair with Romanov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is funny how a team like Calgary can have our number when teams that seem to be much better are the teams we can and do beat. Calgary is one of those teams that match up very well to us and cancel out some of our strong points on paper at the begining of the year many thought Vancover was going to be a powerhouse but we have our way with them heck we even beat the Laffs last time we played them. it is pretty hard to have a transition game against a team Sutter coaches as he clogs the middle.

Yeah, Calgary also has a very mobile and speedy defense ... which is what really counteracts us.    We have the speed to dump it in and beat most teams to the puck, and the speed to then hem those teams into their own end (looking at you Nucks).   Calgary has very mobile D-men who are able to just skate through the pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Merril through 4 games is pointless and a -2, Gustaffson through 3 games has 2 assists and is +2 ... I would have preferred them keep Romanov and Gustaffson in the lineup and sat Merrill and Chiarot

Gustaffson - Weberr

Edmundson - Petry

Romanov - Kulak

That give you mobility on all three pairs (Gustaffson, Petry, Romanov), defensive awareness (Weber, Edmundson, and both guys on 3rd pair) and good outlet passes (Gustaffson, Petry, Romanov).   Instead we insist on playing Chiarot on the top pair, and Merrill on the bottom pairing.  Merrill has not been horrible, but he is a downgrade from Kulak.   Only downside to the above is the bottom pairing are both LD ... so even better would have been Fleury on the bottom pair with Romanov.

Its a pretty small sample size and Gustaffson has been sheltered more than Merrill but  agree he's looked better of the two. Last night he was probably our best defenseman.  I think over the long haul Merrill is the safer player but do we need safe or do we need talent? 

I am not convinced Gustaffson can step up to the challenge (he's always been a defensive liability) but id certainly be willing to try him next to Weber since I still think Weber/Chairot is never going to be ideal and Weber-Gustaffson, on paper at least, seem like a decent match of skillsets.   Im just not sure you're going to convince the coaching staff to even try it - they seem to believe Weber-Chairot is a 1st pairing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone has a different opinion

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/4/27/22404909/canadiens-vs-flames-recap-takeaways-jon-merrill-trade-signing-habs-shea-weber-gustafsson-defence

Jon Merrill is proving to be a valuable addition

15

One of the newest Habs was arguably their best defenceman on Monday night in Calgary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Everyone has a different opinion

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/4/27/22404909/canadiens-vs-flames-recap-takeaways-jon-merrill-trade-signing-habs-shea-weber-gustafsson-defence

Jon Merrill is proving to be a valuable addition

15

One of the newest Habs was arguably their best defenceman on Monday night in Calgary.

Yeah as I said above, i think long-term he might be one of our better dmen (not saying a lot) and last night he was quite good.  I think he's had a bit of bad luck the first couple of games & as the sample size grows his numbers should look better. 

Ultimately he's a good solid #4-6 which is great but not really what we "need."   The question is that as a relatively decent defensive puck moving defensman, does he present an option next to a guy like Weber who i think is going to have problems beside a guy like Chairot going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah as I said above, i think long-term he might be one of our better dmen (not saying a lot) and last night he was quite good.  I think he's had a bit of bad luck the first couple of games & as the sample size grows his numbers should look better. 

Ultimately he's a good solid #4-6 which is great but not really what we "need."   The question is that as a relatively decent defensive puck moving defensman, does he present an option next to a guy like Weber who i think is going to have problems beside a guy like Chairot going forward. 

I think Merrill is fine for us the guy who has slipped the most is Webber but he is still a good Dman he just needs a guy next to him who is more mobile. i think if we iced a Dcorps like this

Edmunsdon  Petry

Romanov Webber

Gustavsson Merrill 

we would be in good shape if this was the lineup we need to pull Chiarot at this point as he is not the right Partner for Webber  and i like the other guys better. now this is just how i see it. also we have the option to move some guys around depending on the team we are playing if we are playing a bigger harder hitting team we can perhaps add Chiarot for Gustavsson if we are playing a more skill less heavy team you could do other things. i think you need a mix of skill and safety from your defence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

Nah, we absolutely “can” beat the leafs in a best of 7. Doesn’t mean we will, but better to have played and lost, than to have not played at all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

No sweat.:lol: Don't count us out on possibly catching the Jets for the 3rd spot. They're hurting right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me you always want to make the playoffs it helps get the team into a winning mindset and builds on what the young guns have experienced. I suppose it is true anything can happen but lets be real this team has holes. I think on any given night or even perhaps for a series we could win but to make it all the way to a cup will be really tough! our young centers are not there yet I think Suzuki is a season or so away from it and I think KK is getting better as he goes but right now they are not strong enough. we are in ok shape on the wings the D well we will have to see how it all shakes out but we need to upgrade we basically need a #1 and a #2 which is pretty tough to go get really we have to much cash in our large group of #4-#7 Dmen! in net right at the moment we are good but I think Carey is on the way down he may have one last gasp in him but that is not enough really. At the end of the day we need a new Gm with a clear and logical vision of what he wants to do to get the team on track and we need a coach who has some experience but is in tune with the modern game MB has to much history right now with his players and the moves he has made he has a thin skin which is not a good thing for a GM in pro sports! he has made many mistakes and really no real results other than the odd flash in the pan sure he has made several good moves too but to what end?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

I am actually indifferent which is a sad reflection of a vintage hab fan. On the one hand I want Bergevin gone but on the other, I want the game pressure and experience for some of our younger guys. If we go quickly and quietly MB is going to feel some heat for not delivering to guys who he promised to build a winner for. I mean why else would Price have signed that whopping contract or why would Anderson, Edmundson and Toffoli sign here. The expansion draft has a lot of interest for me - we have so many inducements that we should be virtually giving away to Seattle in exchange for some other players they pick up or draft picks from other teams. Weber, Chiarot, Byron, Lehkonen, Drouin, Edmundson, maybe even Kulak (who I like) are all disappointments, as we need some vision for makeover vs all these spare parts that have little growth 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

It sounds like a case of shellshock. I was beginning to wonder if we would win another game. The giveaways in our own zone have been beyond belief and seeing Merrill out there last night late I thought was playing with disaster. It takes way too much time and effort to clear our zone. Having said that the players we have are good enough to beat any team in our division come playoff time. We just have to get there.

I' m not sure how the call ups work for the remainder of the season but being in fourth I only see us with a slight chance of passing the injury riddled Jets as we are 6 points back and play them again. Once we clinch we need to give some big names a rest, so it looks like there will be some good competition for positiions come play off time and some bodies around to give some guys a chance to rest.  Gustafsson has looked good so far, but I am not as convinced about Merrill. I like the fact we  have kept our defence out on the PP the last game or two as the forwards are just not getting it done. Caulfield looked very good and Evans was out for some big faceoffs at the end of the game. Petry appears to be really stuggling lately so hopefully we can clinch and give hime a rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...