The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

H_T_L

1 minute ago, kswhabs11 said:

We need to forget about Taylor Hall and sign Anthony DuClair. He was Ottawa’s best player last year.

Agree about TH. If my plan was to add Hall i would have waited before committing a boat load of money to Anderson for a thousand years. I think that boat (Hall) has sailed now. The choice has been made IMO. We'd need to move a big contract to accommodate him now and leave some flexibility for upcoming deals the following year.

I think getting Anderson is going to work out fine the guys a beast who can skate and score. These guys are hard to come by. I think we need to ship Byron for a pick to Free up some cap. We got good mileage from him time to move him. Sign DuClair to at least a 3 yr deal.

29 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Agree about TH. If my plan was to add Hall i would have waited before committing a boat load of money to Anderson for a thousand years. I think that boat (Hall) has sailed now. The choice has been made IMO. We'd need to move a big contract to accommodate him now and leave some flexibility for upcoming deals the following year.

IMO, problem has nothing to do with Anderson. If you're talking about next season, we would have had to pay Domi a similar amount if we never made that trade. And past next year, we have the option of moving on from any of Tatar, Danault, Armia, Gallagher, etc. to create space for Hall. So the Anderson signing doesn't change much with Hall.

Where I think MB really screwed up is the moves he made for Edmundson and Allen. That's 8M devoted to a back-up goalie and a #6/7 defenceman whose being paid like a #4. Take those two players out and you can easily afford Hall. Like I said, I'd rather have gone with Primeau as a back-up (or another cheaper veteran like a Jimmy Howard or Ryan Miller for example) and scrapped Edmundson altogether in favor of just using a Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, etc. as your next-up D man and had the room to add Hall. And if you don't think those guys fit the bill, you could always have added Hall and traded away someone like Tatar in exchange for a better #4 D man than Edmundson. FWIW, I still think Kulak is better than Edmundson and Chiarot anyways, so my D right now would be

Romanov-Weber

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Juulsen

Mete

Zero need for Edmundson. While we do need an upgrade at left D, Edmundson isn't an upgrade on anyone we currently have, so we're just wasting 3.5M. Allen's a good add in terms of what he brings, but if I had to choose between him and Hall, I'd take Hall. So IMO, it's not Anderson that caused the problem, it's MB's boneheaded decisions to keep prioritizing acquisitions of role players before he's addressed the team's real needs for the top if his line-up.

I’d recognize the errors of the previous GM who put so much faith and risk in unproven talent of signing “hopes” like Josh Anderson, Jonathan Drouin, and Joel Edmundson and giving them rich long term deals before they contributed anything to the Habs (those deals if they don’t perform should have resulted in MB’s firing) 

I would change the culture and reward the players who have contributed- Petry was a start, Gallagher and Danault to be given degrees of certainty but no more than 5 years at reasonable values. Tatar if he performs would only get 3 years. I would practice age discrimination at 33-34 for most contracts. I would be evaluating Armia to determine if he fits with the Core long term.

I would take the risk of exposing Weber in the Kraken draft and explain it to him as a business cap decision If he gets claimed.

I would dump Jordan Weal for a draft choice - anything, and have Joel Bouchard spend some serious development time with Poehling, Evans and Fleury with a watchful eye on Juulsen. Poehling has to earn a spot with attitude or career is over. 

I would realize that I have turned it over to the young core of this team and realize that my job depends on the performance of Suzuki, KK, Romanov, and maybe Lehkonen (penalty kill). The way to improve is by strengthening your core so I would continue to build my draft pick stockpile. 

54 minutes ago, claremont said:

I would take the risk of exposing Weber in the Kraken draft and explain it to him as a business cap decision If he gets claimed.

I would dump Jordan Weal for a draft choice - anything, and have Joel Bouchard spend some serious development time with Poehling, Evans and Fleury with a watchful eye on Juulsen. Poehling has to earn a spot with attitude or career is over. 

Yes, or see what he would fetch via trade.  If you take a chance at losing Weber for nothing, then see what he brings in a trade. I would also definitely replace Weal, with any of our prospects.

If I were GM, I'd be looking to move out the following players over the next year:

1. Tatar

2. Byron

3. Chiarot

4. Edmundson

5. Weber

And what we would need to add to make up for that:

1. A top 6 left winger

2. A top 4 LHD

3. A top 4 RHD

It would leave a framework of

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

XXX-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Toffoli

Poehling-Evans-Armia

Romanov-Petry

XXX-XXX

Kulak-Juulsen

Mete-Fleury

One possibility would be to move Toffoli into that 2nd-line LW role and add Ylonen (or Caufield) onto the right wing. Trading Weber and Tatar should be able to fill 2 of the three holes. The other hole, if it can't be filled internally, would need to come via free agency or via trading prospects/picks.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I could see Tatar and Byron leaving. But not Chiarot, Edmundson, and Weber.

If Tatar has another good year, I would look at a reasonable 3-4 year deal. The man is a fitness freak. Doesn't miss a lot of time, and has good chemistry with Danault & Gally. We can keep rolling 3 number #2 lines, or 3 #1A lines. We'll probably lose a defenseman in the Kraken draft. My preference, would be to flip Drouin for picks & prospects. Same thing with Byron, if still required. Maybe Primeau is ready for backup duties next season.  He'll need to shoulder a heavy load in preparation, to see if he's capable, but WP has been trending up for the last 4 years.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I could see Tatar and Byron leaving. But not Chiarot, Edmundson, and Weber.

Agree.  Weber and at least one of Chiarot or Edmundson are here until their contracts run out or MB is fired... whichever comes first. 

I suspect Byron has already been shopped (but likely would have to be a salary dump).  Tatar I would imagine MB will listen to offers on (especially after the playoffs) but I do think Julien likes him.  I have a feeling he'd resign for a very friendly deal.  I mean imagine you're him:  Good career going, you get traded & absolutely bomb with your new team. Cant do anything. You start questioning if your career is over.  You get traded (basically to offset salary - there's talk by the media you may even be bought out!) but immediately click and are back on top, putting up your best numbers ever.

Do you risk signing with a new team that maybe is more like your 2nd than your last team? 

50 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  Weber and at least one of Chiarot or Edmundson are here until their contracts run out or MB is fired... whichever comes first. 

I suspect Byron has already been shopped (but likely would have to be a salary dump).  Tatar I would imagine MB will listen to offers on (especially after the playoffs) but I do think Julien likes him.  I have a feeling he'd resign for a very friendly deal.  I mean imagine you're him:  Good career going, you get traded & absolutely bomb with your new team. Cant do anything. You start questioning if your career is over.  You get traded (basically to offset salary - there's talk by the media you may even be bought out!) but immediately click and are back on top, putting up your best numbers ever.

Do you risk signing with a new team that maybe is more like your 2nd than your last team? 

Shopping Byron now doesn't make a lot of sense both from a diminished value perspective of his previous injuries (there's not many MB GM clones that want a previously injured player that will return to glory a la Anderson, and overpay....), AND under the ED Kraken rules we have to offer up at least 2 forwards who are UNDER CONTRACT and have played the minimum # of games  (40/70) over the last 2 seasons eligibility rules. Byron WOULD BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS to fulfill one of those obligatory requirements. At present, we DON'T HAVE another forward UNDER CONTRACT that we would not protect (protect only 7 and they cannot be UFA's), and expose to fulfill the other 2nd forward requirement. I suspect that Weal who has played 49 games in 2019-20 and would play 21 games in 2020-21 would be signed into 2021-22 for a minimum contract so that he can extend his career, fulfill our obligation and possibly be claimed by the Kraken.

Our defensive obligation is similar - we have to not protect and offer up one defenseman UNDER CONTRACT who has the 40/70 games requirement. Take your pick here and depends on whether we risk exposing Weber. Petry, Edmundson are locks to be protected. Exposing Kulak as a minimum, and if Weber is protected, then exposing Chiarot and Kulak.

Now if you are the Kraken and can claim one player, who will it be? - Byron, Weal (in lieu of a TBD fringe player), Kulak or Chiarot. The answer depends on whether there are better forwards or defense claims on the other 30 teams, but my bet would likely be Byron especially if he has a so-so forthcoming season, or Chiarot then Kulak.

As previously mentioned we have 5 forwards UNDER CONTRACT now, that we would likely protect - Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, and RFA offers to Lehkonen, and KK. Then you have to determine the strategy for resigning and protecting 2 of Danualt, Gallagher,Tatar, Armia. Want the first 3? - then Lehkonen is likely exposed. Want all 4, then someone else is going to be exposed. My bet is they let Armia go to UFA. All of our other young forwards are exempt from having to be protected under the 7 player rule.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Shopping Byron now doesn't make a lot of sense both from a diminished value perspective of his previous injuries (there's not many MB GM clones that want a previously injured player that will return to glory a la Anderson, and overpay....), AND under the ED Kraken rules we have to offer up at least 2 forwards who are UNDER CONTRACT and have played the minimum # of games  (40/70) over the last 2 seasons eligibility rules. Byron WOULD BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS to fulfill one of those obligatory requirements. At present, we DON'T HAVE another forward UNDER CONTRACT that we would not protect (protect only 7 and they cannot be UFA's), and expose to fulfill the other 2nd forward requirement. I suspect that Weal who has played 49 games in 2019-20 and would play 21 games in 2020-21 would be signed into 2021-22 for a minimum contract so that he can extend his career, fulfill our obligation and possibly be claimed by the Kraken.

Our defensive obligation is similar - we have to not protect and offer up one defenseman UNDER CONTRACT who has the 40/70 games requirement. Take your pick here and depends on whether we risk exposing Weber. Petry, Edmundson are locks to be protected. Exposing Kulak as a minimum, and if Weber is protected, then exposing Chiarot and Kulak.

Now if you are the Kraken and can claim one player, who will it be? - Byron, Weal (in lieu of a TBD fringe player), Kulak or Chiarot. The answer depends on whether there are better forwards or defense claims on the other 30 teams, but my bet would likely be Byron especially if he has a so-so forthcoming season, or Chiarot then Kulak.

As previously mentioned we have 5 forwards UNDER CONTRACT now, that we would likely protect - Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, and RFA offers to Lehkonen, and KK. Then you have to determine the strategy for resigning and protecting 2 of Danualt, Gallagher,Tatar, Armia. Want the first 3? - then Lehkonen is likely exposed. Want all 4, then someone else is going to be exposed. My bet is they let Armia go to UFA. All of our other young forwards are exempt from having to be protected under the 7 player rule.

I'd agree with you that selling Byron now would be selling low. That said, you have to wonder how much opportunity he's going to get to boost that value. Drouin and Tatar are clearly ahead of him. MB apparently asked Toffoli if he can play LW as well, and Lehkonen and Byron are probably neck and neck in the pecking order. So he's getting bottom 6 minutes and probably little to no PP time. If Poehling shows something in camp, I'm not averse to just cutting our losses with Byron and giving room for younger, cheaper players.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd agree with you that selling Byron now would be selling low. That said, you have to wonder how much opportunity he's going to get to boost that value. Drouin and Tatar are clearly ahead of him. MB apparently asked Toffoli if he can play LW as well, and Lehkonen and Byron are probably neck and neck in the pecking order. So he's getting bottom 6 minutes and probably little to no PP time. If Poehling shows something in camp, I'm not averse to just cutting our losses with Byron and giving room for younger, cheaper players.

Agree.  Its not like Byron was ever going to get you much in a trade anyway.  Even at his peak I assume a 2nd rounder would have been his maximum return. Right now that might be closer to a 4th or 5th... if even that is possible because of his salary.  He's a solid player that can play in many situations but he has 3 more years at $3.4m.. thats a lot based on what he brings. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

So who are you offering up as our two Under contract players for the ED if Byron is traded or dumped for picks or other? I’m quite prepared to potentially lose Byron in the ED or if the Kraken choose one of our D, then post-ED would be the time to trade Byron. Byron offers us a reasonable penalty killer and I’ve watched him in shootouts and he’s pretty good there but doesn’t offer much else other than an energy 4th liner that doesn’t hit. 
Trading Byron now means a later on difficult decision - what’s your plan?

25 minutes ago, claremont said:

So who are you offering up as our two Under contract players for the ED if Byron is traded or dumped for picks or other? I’m quite prepared to potentially lose Byron in the ED or if the Kraken choose one of our D, then post-ED would be the time to trade Byron. Byron offers us a reasonable penalty killer and I’ve watched him in shootouts and he’s pretty good there but doesn’t offer much else other than an energy 4th liner that doesn’t hit. 

Its impossible to know what that decision will be in 9+ months, but I think you can be confident we will protect: 
Kotkaniemi, Anderson, Toffoli and Drouin.  (4) After that its murky because everyone else is RFA or UFA.   Weal, one would assume will be gone.  I would also assume that guys like Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, Lehkonen and Armia may be signed - but maybe some are traded.  Thats 5 more guys.   Evans will be exposed most likely so you only need 1 more.  I cant see that we wont sign most of those guys.  So one of them (Lehks/Armia) gets exposed.  We cant protect them all. 

I agree that right now Byron is a suitable candidate for exposure (although i think there's nearly zero change they'd take him at $3.4m)  but honestly there's too many balls  in motion right now to say for sure who we would expose or not.

I honestly dont see anyone taking Byron anyway so its probably moot.  You could bury him in the minors & save around $1m off the cap but byron doesnt hurt you on the roster in the way that say, Alzer, did.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I'm honestly not so worried about that to be honest. Evans will likely end up qualifying as one of the two forwards. Weal is only 19 games away from qualifying too, and it would not be hard to re-sign him to a 1-year extension before the end of the season. Barring that, if we're in contention, we may well trade for a veteran player at the deadline like a Nate Thompson type or so on. It won't be hard to find a quick add for cheap if we have to. I wouldn't force a Byron trade if we don't have to, but if we need the cap space in order to not lose a more valuable player, I'd deal Byron. And as I said, I simply see Byron as a guy to move on from in the next year, it could also be after the ED to maximize our use of him for that purpose, as you suggested. I just don't see him near next season and possibly as early as this off-season.

19 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I was one of the few critical of the Byron extension. Totally didn't see the relevance in extending a bottom 6 player to that kind of term and money, IMO the deal has certainly elapsed his value to the team. Bonehead move.

Can say that about most of the bottom 6 players and journeymen defencemen MB has given multi-year deals to. Weal, Byron, Prust, Moen, Desharnais, Alzner, Flynn, Mitchell, Deslauriers, Emelin.. not a lot of guys where I look at those signings and think they're good deals. Most of the time they're guys who are replaceable, even in the short term, and I'd frankly rather be giving experience to a younger skilled player than a slower or unskilled veteran just because they have "experience." You can fill out your roster with these types of players on 1-2 year deals if need be. Never made much sense to offer 3+.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Can say that about most of the bottom 6 players and journeymen defencemen MB has given multi-year deals to. Weal, Byron, Prust, Moen, Desharnais, Alzner, Flynn, Mitchell, Deslauriers, Emelin.. not a lot of guys where I look at those signings and think they're good deals. Most of the time they're guys who are replaceable, even in the short term, and I'd frankly rather be giving experience to a younger skilled player than a slower or unskilled veteran just because they have "experience." You can fill out your roster with these types of players on 1-2 year deals if need be. Never made much sense to offer 3+.

Especially when every year you see "heart and soul" guys like Uncle Nate signing for a smidge over league minimum for 1 or 2 years.  MB loves his "diamond in the rough players" though. 

So looking at the roster as it stands today, we need to trade (?) one or two players if we want to get to a 23 man team and stay under the cap. My thought is we send Byron and Kulak to Ottawa in exchange for one of their second round picks next year. This allows us to carry a couple of extra forwards, and an extra d-man. Possible line-up with no regard to first line or first pairing :

Dru-Suzuki-Anderson

Tuna-Danault-Gally

Leks-KK-Toffoli

Poehling-Evans-Armia

Weal/Vejdemo as extras

Romanov-Weber

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Juulsen

Mete as extra

Goalies are obvious.

This leaves us about $2.5 mil under the cap. Any thoughts about the trade and/or the line-up.

As I said in another thread, I would do whatever it takes to get Drouin off the books.  Wether that is a trade, waiver or holding him until the ED.  He is a liability more than an asset.

I personally like the Edmunson(sp) signing, he adds much more size and grit to the D core than Mette or Kulak.  I personally would like to see our 4th line be all young players and make it clear show us what you got or we show you the door. Say poehling, Evans for example and toss in Byron as a vetran presence. 

45 minutes ago, egee1953 said:

So looking at the roster as it stands today, we need to trade (?) one or two players if we want to get to a 23 man team and stay under the cap. My thought is we send Byron and Kulak to Ottawa in exchange for one of their second round picks next year. This allows us to carry a couple of extra forwards, and an extra d-man. Possible line-up with no regard to first line or first pairing :This leaves us about $2.5 mil under the cap. Any thoughts about the trade and/or the line-up.

I actually think they might try playing with a 20-21 man roster for a bit & see what happens. We are currently *just* under (by about $300k) but only have 21 players on the roster.

By waiving Weal (either he gets picked up or you bury most of his contract in the minors, you can bring up Evans and either Poehling or Juulsen.  that gives you 22 players on the roster & you're right around the cap. 

The most burdensome contract we have, honestly, is Byrons.  $3.4m for a guy who is going to be something like our 11th - 13th forward. Unfortunately I dont see him as tradable.   At some point we might have to make a tough decision to send him (or a similar player) to the minors to bring up cheaper replacements. 

I dont think Ottawa would take on Byron's salary.  Kulak would be fairly easy to trade I think, but honestly id rather keep him on the roster even though i think he may not be in the team's plans. 

55 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont think Ottawa would take on Byron's salary.  Kulak would be fairly easy to trade I think, but honestly id rather keep him on the roster even though i think he may not be in the team's plans

I'm with you on Kulak ...much better to keep him ...I don't even know if moving Byron would be good just for cap considerations ..he's still a veteran presence for a 4th line and can still fly and effectively plays the PK ( though Toffoli could take that spot ) ..that being said he is an Ottawa boy so the possibility exists albeit not likely @ $3.4 mill for 3 more seasons unless money gets taken back  

• H_T_L locked this topic