The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brendan Gallagher

This to me is a team friendly deal, in terms of AAV as well as timing (meaning signing the extension before the season even starts and squashing any speculation).

The contract length of 6 years is fine, the team gets more benefit while he's still in his prime, and then the player gets a bit more benefit as he fades, that's just what it is.  The downside I see is he is small, plays his heart out every shift, so what will a 35yo BG have left in the tank? But the upside is that he's a leader by example and will always be good for the players around him...if Weber were not older and the Captain, next up would likely be Gallagher.  

Its not a screaming deal like his last contract turned out to be (great gamble that paid off by MB). But its more than fair, I think it falls under the category of team friendly.

10 hours ago, Windoe said:

This to me is a team friendly deal, in terms of AAV as well as timing (meaning signing the extension before the season even starts and squashing any speculation).

The contract length of 6 years is fine, the team gets more benefit while he's still in his prime, and then the player gets a bit more benefit as he fades, that's just what it is.  The downside I see is he is small, plays his heart out every shift, so what will a 35yo BG have left in the tank? But the upside is that he's a leader by example and will always be good for the players around him...if Weber were not older and the Captain, next up would likely be Gallagher.  

Its not a screaming deal like his last contract turned out to be (great gamble that paid off by MB). But its more than fair, I think it falls under the category of team friendly.

I guess as well it was better than the alternative of knocking heads into the " off-season " and disrupting things by creating bad feelings ...it's interesting to note that the hockey press went nuts and started speculating Gallagher could be traded to Van ...the next day he signed ....never underestimate what is already working in one's life ala Petry and his family liking it in Montreal ...in the end it looked like it was more about meeting in the middle and getting it done but it would be nice to know what the "misunderstanding " was between Gallagher's agent and Bergevin ...it might have something to do with the NMC ..Gally I think only has 5 or 6 teams he can refuse to be traded to but other contracts like Petry's has 15 

Not that it matters now, since the deal is done, but apparently MB and Gallaghers agent have both said that during the negotiations there was a misunderstanding which is why the talks halted.  Once they figured out that misunderstanding, they went back to negotiating and were done quite quickly. 

Would be interesting to know what the misunderstanding was!

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Not that it matters now, since the deal is done, but apparently MB and Gallaghers agent have both said that during the negotiations there was a misunderstanding which is why the talks halted.  Once they figured out that misunderstanding, they went back to negotiating and were done quite quickly. 

Probably money and term. :lol:

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe MB thought Gallagher was Russian! 

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Maybe MB thought Gallagher was Russian! 

Good thing he came to his senses.  Once Bergevin got a hate on, he purged the Habs of all Russians! Maybe he's learning. Can't let your feelings dictate your needs, although with Gally, it was all right.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Broken right thumb from the Romanov shot. Friendly fire again.

The Canadiens improved depth in 2020-21 will be put to the test soon, as Brendan Gallagher's broken thumb suffered vs EDM on Monday will keep him out for several weeks & keep the Habs without the services of their most productive scorer on this list that goes back nearly 6 weeks

10 hours ago, electron58 said:

The Canadiens improved depth in 2020-21 will be put to the test soon, as Brendan Gallagher's broken thumb suffered vs EDM on Monday will keep him out for several weeks & keep the Habs without the services of their most productive scorer on this list that goes back nearly 6 weeks

Do we know that it's gonna be six weeks as an estimate? I heard broken thumb and thought, "Maybe that doesn't take as long?" :lol: I'm no doctor, I was just hopeful.

52 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do we know that it's gonna be six weeks as an estimate? I heard broken thumb and thought, "Maybe that doesn't take as long?" :lol: I'm no doctor, I was just hopeful.

Ask Dr. Recchi. :)

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It could be as little as 2 weeks for a finger break. If it needs surgery to reset then your talking long term like 6 to 8 weeks.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

It could be as little as 2 weeks for a finger break. If it needs surgery to reset then your talking long term like 6 to 8 weeks.

I fractured a thumb once when I was in my mid 20's it took about three months to be able to use it with any real force. I suppose it depends on the fracture.