The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

Expansion Draft  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Let's assume Danault, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Taffoli, Anderson, Drouin, Weber, Petry, Fleury and Price are protected, and Armia and Tatar are left unsigned. Which of the Following would you rather lose to Seattle?

• Chiarot
    • Edmondson
    • Allen
    • Byron
    • Mete
    • Kulak
    • Other

7 minutes ago, claremont said:

That's not a bad strategy. Kulak has reasonable value in terms of cap room but Seattle should have a plethora of cap room. I suspect for Edmundson's perceived value of leadership, plus/minus and despite a lack of foot speed, plus MB's ego of thinking he picked up a solid D man, that he will inevitably be protected. I believe Fleury will not be protected. If I am Seattle, then Allen, Byron, Chiarot and Mete have far better value than the unproven Fleury. Fleury may not even qualify this year as he needs 13 games to be eligible for protection (unless the rules changed), so we would be better off keeping him in the minors for this year if that exempts him. Your forwards list is correct. Evans has utility value to us. 

Petry/Weber are absolutes to protect. Edmondson has been pretty solid I would probably protect Edmondson over Kulak. 

8 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Petry/Weber are absolutes to protect. Edmondson has been pretty solid I would probably protect Edmondson over Kulak. 

I would roll the dice on Weber, even though he is our Captain.  That contract is a tough one and I don't think Seattle would select him. If they did, then there are probably better defensemen that we can get for his value. 

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

With the information we've garnered so far from this season, this would be my updated protected list:

- Forward (7): Drouin, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli, Anderson, Lehkonen, Evans

- Defence (3): Petry, Kulak, Fleury

- Goalie (1): Price

Habs have no choice but to protect Gallagher, Petry, and Price because of NMC. The back end has become a lot simpler because of how badly Weber and Chiarot have played this year. If Seattle wants them, take them. If they want Edmundson, so be it. There are enough players to replace him style-wise. We can't afford to lose Petry or Kulak and Fleury has the most potential of the rest. Up front, the only question is whether to protect a UFA. I don't see Seattle claiming an unsigned Armia and at present I'll take my chances that Tatar and Danault are no longer top options with their salary demands likely being what they are. May as well protect guys with a future here.

All of this also means we have space to be able to acquire another D man to slot in in place of Fleury.

I like this outside the box thinking. I'm OK with the forwards, even though I  have previously made inferences. They are the best of the signed. As for D? I like these choices as well. I know JE is having a good year,  thus far, but he is on a 4 year contract and if Seattle can grab SW or JE, then we only have 1 more year of BC, unless he gets traded in an upgrade.  Which, if that happens,  we may want to revisit these choices.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If we're going to go that way,  then I would protect Edmundson over Weber. Petry/Edmundson would be our new shutdown D. Although I really don't think Seattle picks up Weber. If they did, it may be to flip him later.

45 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

You may be surprised to see what other teams think of Webbers value.

I imagine he would still have value throughout the League. Probably not as a #1 guy as he ages, but certainly as a decent D-Man,,,, especially if he's paired correctly. He would probably have more value to a team on a budget trying to get to the Cap floor by picking up a big contract where the player gets considerably less. Down the road he'll be making less then half his Cap value. I always thought he would probably retire when he was making only 1 million a year but then you see guys like Perry and Frolic playing for League minimum, so who knows,,,, he might play the whole term. When we stop giving him top minutes with the toughest assignments we just might see his numbers bounce back up there. We won't be getting value for the Cap hit but at least it makes him serviceable. We just need our GM and coach to come to that reality.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I would be.  Although maybe a team with a young defense and a tight budget that could use the cap hit but not have to pay the $?

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I imagine he would still have value throughout the League. Probably not as a #1 guy as he ages, but certainly as a decent D-Man,,,, especially if he's paired correctly. He would probably have more value to a team on a budget trying to get to the Cap floor by picking up a big contract where the player gets considerably less. Down the road he'll be making less then half his Cap value. I always thought he would probably retire when he was making only 1 million a year but then you see guys like Perry and Frolic playing for League minimum, so who knows,,,, he might play the whole term. numbe When we stop giving him top minutes with the toughest assignments we just might see hisrs bounce back up there. We won't be getting value for the Cap hit but at least it makes him serviceable. We just need our GM and coach to come to that reality.

The boldest part is what I think a lot have to consider. Just because they think Webers easily replaced. I actually don't think others on our roster are going to look better having his same assignments. It absolutely makes a difference the match ups night in night out and the role the player is asked to play. Would he look better with a Josi or a different type of player along side of him absolutely. There were comments about how Suzuki didn't look great last game. Well most of the game he was matched up against Winnipeg's top line. The Danault line had less pressure and looked better. I really doubt that JK would look good if he had hard match ups all the time. Especially when we get to the play offs where games are tougher and generally less penalties are called Weber's value will be high. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I imagine he would still have value throughout the League. Probably not as a #1 guy as he ages, but certainly as a decent D-Man,,,, especially if he's paired correctly. He would probably have more value to a team on a budget trying to get to the Cap floor by picking up a big contract where the player gets considerably less. Down the road he'll be making less then half his Cap value. I always thought he would probably retire when he was making only 1 million a year but then you see guys like Perry and Frolic playing for League minimum, so who knows,,,, he might play the whole term. When we stop giving him top minutes with the toughest assignments we just might see his numbers bounce back up there. We won't be getting value for the Cap hit but at least it makes him serviceable. We just need our GM and coach to come to that reality.

16 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

The boldest part is what I think a lot have to consider. Just because they think Webers easily replaced. I actually don't think others on our roster are going to look better having his same assignments. It absolutely makes a difference the match ups night in night out and the role the player is asked to play. Would he look better with a Josi or a different type of player along side of him absolutely. There were comments about how Suzuki didn't look great last game. Well most of the game he was matched up against Winnipeg's top line. The Danault line had less pressure and looked better. I really doubt that JK would look good if he had hard match ups all the time. Especially when we get to the play offs where games are tougher and generally less penalties are called Weber's value will be high. 

I'd agree with this. If you put Weber with Romanov and give them 2nd-pairing minutes and opposition, he's going to look better. It then becomes a question of whether he's worth almost 8M AAV a year, but it would certainly give us a better chance of maximizing his value to us.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think Weber would have had decent value before this season started. I'm not so sure any more. When you're 35 and your play drops off a cliff, GM's are going to want to see him bounce back and prove he can do it again first. I don't see a big line-up for a guy who is 35 and struggling as much as he is this season when there are 5 more years left after this one. If Weber gave them assurance he would retire after next season, say, then maybe. But I don't think a contender is risking giving up 8M AAV for 5+ years, and I don't know that a non-contender with lots of cap room is going to see Weber as a great investment if they're not in win-now mode. If they do take him, they're going to want other assets as part of doing us a favor. Yes, Weber has the reputation, but look at guys like Wade Redden or Brad Richards or so on, who went from being highly-coveted to being assets teams didn't want to take on because of the high-risk, low-reward.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Weber would have had decent value before this season started. I'm not so sure any more. When you're 35 and your play drops off a cliff, GM's are going to want to see him bounce back and prove he can do it again first. I don't see a big line-up for a guy who is 35 and struggling as much as he is this season when there are 5 more years left after this one. If Weber gave them assurance he would retire after next season, say, then maybe. But I don't think a contender is risking giving up 8M AAV for 5+ years, and I don't know that a non-contender with lots of cap room is going to see Weber as a great investment if they're not in win-now mode. If they do take him, they're going to want other assets as part of doing us a favor. Yes, Weber has the reputation, but look at guys like Wade Redden or Brad Richards or so on, who went from being highly-coveted to being assets teams didn't want to take on because of the high-risk, low-reward.

I personally think his biggest issue right now is his partner, Bobby Orr would have a tough time playing with Chiarot this season. not to sure what is up with Big Ben but he sure does look lost out there. it is no great surprise that Webber is slowing down age is what it is we all see it.

12 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I personally think his biggest issue right now is his partner, Bobby Orr would have a tough time playing with Chiarot this season. not to sure what is up with Big Ben but he sure does look lost out there. it is no great surprise that Webber is slowing down age is what it is we all see it.

I agree with this. I don't think Petry would look as good as he has if he had Chariot and all the toughest assignments. First unit PK , always top lines ect. Even Subban in his prime when he was with Gill he didn't look great. Markov made Subban look better and in the 1/2 season when Subban won the Norris it was Markov setting him up. Unfortunately the Norris is now about the defenseman that puts up a lot of goals or points but isn't always the best all around defenseman which is what it should be.

1 minute ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with this. I don't think Petry would look as good as he has if he had Chariot and all the toughest assignments. First unit PK , always top lines ect. Even Subban in his prime when he was with Gill he didn't look great. Markov made Subban look better and in the 1/2 season when Subban won the Norris it was Markov setting him up. Unfortunately the Norris is now about the defenseman that puts up a lot of goals or points but isn't always the best all around defenseman which is what it should be.

Agreed on Markov, during his prime and before all the injuries he was so good that even Mike Komisarek looked like an all-star playing next to him. That's not the whole story on Subban though, he broke into the league making Hal Gill look like a useful NHL defenceman for stretches and in the year he won the Norris he was mostly playing with Josh Gorges and Francis Bouillon of all people. If memory serves, he also spent some time with Emelin before Therrien finally saw what everybody else was seeing and paired him with Markov, with immediate results to boot.

17 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Agreed on Markov, during his prime and before all the injuries he was so good that even Mike Komisarek looked like an all-star playing next to him. That's not the whole story on Subban though, he broke into the league making Hal Gill look like a useful NHL defenceman for stretches and in the year he won the Norris he was mostly playing with Josh Gorges and Francis Bouillon of all people. If memory serves, he also spent some time with Emelin before Therrien finally saw what everybody else was seeing and paired him with Markov, with immediate results to boot.

In 2013, Subban spent the following amounts of 5v5 ice time with each D partner:

- Josh Gorges 339 minutes (his primary D partner)

- Francis Bouillon 225 min

- Andrei Markov 74 min

- Tomas Kaberle 19 min

- Beaulieu, Emelin, and Drewiske 6 min each

In the case of which guy was driving the other, Gorges-Subban put up a 55% Corsi (pretty darn good). But Subban was even better without Gorges (58%), while Gorges was 49% without Subban. Markov-Subban played at 62%. Subban without Markov played at 56%, while Markov without Subban was at 51%. So Subban was primarily the guy driving both those pairings. Even though he played better with Markov, he played really well without him too, whereas Markov and Gorges were average without Subban.

As for partners for Weber and Petry, I'm 100% agreed that Weber would look better with a mobile partner like Romanov or Kulak. I've already posted numbers supporting this. But the numbers also show that Petry has done even better with similar partners. Kulak-Petry was better than Kulak-Weber, for example. Going into this season, Edmundson had worse advanced stats than Chiarot and was seen as being the inferior partner. But Petry has made him look golden, whereas Chiarot has looked awful. So we don't need to speculate about what Petry would look like next to a slower, less skilled partner like Chiarot. He already has a partner like that, and that pairing is excelling. Best thing the Habs could do is Kulak-Petry as top pair and Romanov-Weber as 2nd pair. It's got its flaws, but it's the best of what we have. Everyone would benefit from that.

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

As for partners for Weber and Petry, I'm 100% agreed that Weber would look better with a mobile partner like Romanov or Kulak. I've already posted numbers supporting this. But the numbers also show that Petry has done even better with similar partners. Kulak-Petry was better than Kulak-Weber, for example. Going into this season, Edmundson had worse advanced stats than Chiarot and was seen as being the inferior partner. But Petry has made him look golden, whereas Chiarot has looked awful. So we don't need to speculate about what Petry would look like next to a slower, less skilled partner like Chiarot. He already has a partner like that, and that pairing is excelling. Best thing the Habs could do is Kulak-Petry as top pair and Romanov-Weber as 2nd pair. It's got its flaws, but it's the best of what we have. Everyone would benefit from that.

I think we all agree Weber needs more. I also agree that pushing him down the lineup should help. I think that Weber-Kulak or Weber-Romanov with 2nd pair duties and a few less minutes a night would make him substantially more effective.   

My only concern is whether that will have a negative impact on Petry. I know Petry still gets tough minutes now. I know that most teams dont only have 1 top line, but i do think he takes a little less of the burder that Weber does - its not just the total minutes, is the type of minutes and I worry that Petry - with ANY of our current LD - wouldnt be as effective under those conditions.  It still comes back to someone- Weber, Petry etc - having to carry a LHD.   Even though Kulak is probably our best LD right now he should be nowhere close to playing above a #3-4 role, but its what we've got.  

Imagine if you had a LD who was actually better than Petry or Weber?  We'd have a clear & established hierachy but instead we have like 4 guys playing above their heads and one crucial one (Weber) being dragged down by a partner he can no longer correct mistakes for. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

In 2013, Subban spent the following amounts of 5v5 ice time with each D partner:

- Josh Gorges 339 minutes (his primary D partner)

- Francis Bouillon 225 min

- Andrei Markov 74 min

- Tomas Kaberle 19 min

- Beaulieu, Emelin, and Drewiske 6 min each

In the case of which guy was driving the other, Gorges-Subban put up a 55% Corsi (pretty darn good). But Subban was even better without Gorges (58%), while Gorges was 49% without Subban. Markov-Subban played at 62%. Subban without Markov played at 56%, while Markov without Subban was at 51%. So Subban was primarily the guy driving both those pairings. Even though he played better with Markov, he played really well without him too, whereas Markov and Gorges were average without Subban.

But that year Markov was the one on the PP with Subban feeding him perfect one timers. If Markov wasn't on the PP with Subban he probably wouln't of had half as many. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think we all agree Weber needs more. I also agree that pushing him down the lineup should help. I think that Weber-Kulak or Weber-Romanov with 2nd pair duties and a few less minutes a night would make him substantially more effective.   

My only concern is whether that will have a negative impact on Petry. I know Petry still gets tough minutes now. I know that most teams dont only have 1 top line, but i do think he takes a little less of the burder that Weber does - its not just the total minutes, is the type of minutes and I worry that Petry - with ANY of our current LD - wouldnt be as effective under those conditions.  It still comes back to someone- Weber, Petry etc - having to carry a LHD.   Even though Kulak is probably our best LD right now he should be nowhere close to playing above a #3-4 role, but its what we've got.  

Imagine if you had a LD who was actually better than Petry or Weber?  We'd have a clear & established hierachy but instead we have like 4 guys playing above their heads and one crucial one (Weber) being dragged down by a partner he can no longer correct mistakes for. 

That is the real reason "corsi" ect . doesn't really show accurately because you have a player always throughout his time playing the toughest match ups and expecting to be more of a defensive player in their role to the team. Karlson for years was always considered a Norris candidate, when through out most of his time he rarely killed penalties or was out late in the game when holding a close lead. I will say Petry is a solid defenseman. That said Kulak and others haven't been put into the same roles as Weber has game in game out. I myself would like to see Romanov used with Weber more. I don't think you could all game or every situation but he could be used together at different times.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I also worry about Petry being able to handle that. Like Weber, he's on the wrong side of 30 and he's shown fatigue over the past few years too. I don't think the Habs have a great solution in house, but I also don't think they're acquiring that solution via trade this year. Kulak-Petry is likely the best of what we have. It is what it is. I'm not sure MB is going to add another LHD with the ED coming up next off-season and I think he also believes at least one of Guhle, Struble, Harris, or Norlinder will be ready to join Romanov in the top 4 by 2022-23, so I'm not sure I see him committing big money or term there to a free agent or trade acquisition. The LHD spot will likely be our biggest weakness for the next 2-3 years, but it may well become our biggest strength in 3-5 years. If you look at our pipeline, RHD is a spot that is going to become the new LHD in a couple of years. After Petry and Weber, there's very little there. And center is thin once you get by Suzuki and Kotkaniemi too.

50 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

But that year Markov was the one on the PP with Subban feeding him perfect one timers. If Markov wasn't on the PP with Subban he probably wouln't of had half as many. 

Subban had 7 goals on the power play that year vs. Markov's 8, while Subban had a few more assists (26 vs. 23 PPP respectively) but missed 6 games.They both had an excellent year on the PP and complemented each other extremely well. The next season, they dominated at even strength and started turning heads league-wide.

44 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

This definitely helped him. But Subban was dominant at even strength too, not just a PP specialist, and in fairness to Subban, Markov was there on the PP for most other years too, and PK still put together this one year that was stronger than the rest. There were other players like Souray and MAB and Wisniewski and Streit who were great on the PP here too but never got Norris consideration because they didn't put that together with dominance in other areas of the game, so there was more to Subban than just playing next to Markov on the powerplay. It was without a doubt an asset that helped him, but it wasn't the whole story.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Hmmm. Huge Webber fan. But Chairot surely has made fewer big mistakes then Webber this year that led to important hosls or big chances. Frankly, I think Chairott is playing the best of his entire career this year. 

20 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Hmmm. Huge Webber fan. But Chairot surely has made fewer big mistakes then Webber this year that led to important hosls or big chances. Frankly, I think Chairott is playing the best of his entire career this year. 

I agree that Weber has made some (very uncharacteristic) errors this year.  We've often talked in the past about how good Weber is, positionally.  Even as his foot speed slows (and he was never particularly fast) he's managed to be good defensively because he's so elite with his positioning, but this year he has been 'off' - and i think because of that its been way more noticeable than normal.  Up until this year, you'd curse at the TV because a guy would get around weber or beat him with speed - that was about it - but this year he's actually been making mistakes. 

However, i think those mistakes are compounded by Chairot. Its not that BC is doing something worse or different than normal, its just that Weber is already starting a bit 'off' and then he tries to correct to cover for Chairot and then they are both running around, confused.  I think Weber will bounce back but i think if he had a guy who could simply hold his own then it would be better all around.

As for Chairot - i personally havent seen great play from him this year.  On occasion ive seen him skate & thought "he's looking faster today" but for the most part i think he's looked like a guy that is playing over his head. I do think he could be effective on the 3rd pair but I really dont love him up in the top 4. 

38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree that Weber has made some (very uncharacteristic) errors this year.  We've often talked in the past about how good Weber is, positionally.  Even as his foot speed slows (and he was never particularly fast) he's managed to be good defensively because he's so elite with his positioning, but this year he has been 'off' - and i think because of that its been way more noticeable than normal.  Up until this year, you'd curse at the TV because a guy would get around weber or beat him with speed - that was about it - but this year he's actually been making mistakes. 

However, i think those mistakes are compounded by Chairot. Its not that BC is doing something worse or different than normal, its just that Weber is already starting a bit 'off' and then he tries to correct to cover for Chairot and then they are both running around, confused.  I think Weber will bounce back but i think if he had a guy who could simply hold his own then it would be better all around.

As for Chairot - i personally havent seen great play from him this year.  On occasion ive seen him skate & thought "he's looking faster today" but for the most part i think he's looked like a guy that is playing over his head. I do think he could be effective on the 3rd pair but I really dont love him up in the top 4. 

Yeah I have to agree here not sure why someone would see Chiarot as having a good year he looks pretty lost out there. I am fairly sure the coaching staff will make some adjustments they seem to be working on the forward group first perhaps they want to do it that way rather than throw it all in the blender right away. time will tell.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I also worry about Petry being able to handle that. Like Weber, he's on the wrong side of 30 and he's shown fatigue over the past few years too. I don't think the Habs have a great solution in house, but I also don't think they're acquiring that solution via trade this year. Kulak-Petry is likely the best of what we have. It is what it is. I'm not sure MB is going to add another LHD with the ED coming up next off-season and I think he also believes at least one of Guhle, Struble, Harris, or Norlinder will be ready to join Romanov in the top 4 by 2022-23, so I'm not sure I see him committing big money or term there to a free agent or trade acquisition. The LHD spot will likely be our biggest weakness for the next 2-3 years, but it may well become our biggest strength in 3-5 years. If you look at our pipeline, RHD is a spot that is going to become the new LHD in a couple of years. After Petry and Weber, there's very little there. And center is thin once you get by Suzuki and Kotkaniemi too.

The things I like about Romanov and Guhle are that they both have a fair bit of experience playing BOTH the right side and their traditional left. I am not overly concerned about the RHD for the next 2 years if Fleury and Brook can compliment them with Petry's inevitable decline likely beginning 2-3 years out, however as you would probably point out beyond Petry, are any of those 4 (AR, KG, CF, JB) potential #1 RHD's - unlikely. So a RHD with #1 potential becomes a drafting need.  Norlinder and less so Struble (even though he has immense physical talents - they still need honing), are quick and great skaters coupled with a steady eddy Jordan Harris provide great promise/depth for the left side. From the highlights I have seen of Struble this year, I like what I see. 

I would agree with you that Centre is a draft or trade need  with LW. Assuming PD  is not signed, Poehling and Evans are not the strongest options to support KK and Suzuki.