The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hab Injuries

H_T_L

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Cap isnt the issue, its the contract transfers between trade deadline & playoffs. You're only allowed to call up 4 players on non-emergency basis & we've apparently already used up 3 of the 4 because of great management by MB. So if we replace say, Staal with CC then thats it you cant call anyone (say evans or frolik) back from the taxi squad. 

That seems to be explained a little better, so, what do they do with Gustaffson & the other defenceman that they acquired? 

21 minutes ago, electron58 said:

That seems to be explained a little better, so, what do they do with Gustaffson & the other defenceman that they acquired? 

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

Very well explained,  maas_art. Thanks for that. As you said, it is fairly complicated and one is never really sure what the rules are. 👍

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

Ouellet and Leskinen were two, I believe, but I thought Primeau was always here as an emergency call-up for Price's injuries, so he didn't count against the regular call-up limit. I believe the 3rd was actually Paul Byron, who was sent down again and recalled on deadline day to save some cap space. Ultimately, MB has done a horrible job of managing his cap this year. Spent way too much money on depth D men playing the same role, is spending a very high percentage of his cap on goaltending, wasted roster and cap space on the likes of Staal and Merrill (who ultimately don't seem to have given us an upgrade on anything we already have), and wasted his call-ups on guys like Ouellet and Leskinen and Byron, leaving him no room to call up Caufield, Poehling, Ylonen, Brook, Fleury, or other younger players who could legitimately help.

I will say that I don't understand the purpose of the taxi squad though, if taking guys from the taxi squad compromises your 4-person limit. They're not really available to play for you then, they're just minor leaguers who aren't playing games in the minors for no reason (because there's no quarantine required if you get recalled from the minors anyways). Dumb rules. Bad cap management. Here we are.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Since the Habs have only 22 players on the roster couldn't CC be called up to fill that 23rd spot without penalty if they have the cap space?

FWIW, Ducharme confirmed today that

1. Price is in concussion protocol and will be out for at least a week.

2. The injury was suffered when Alex Chiasson walked into the blue paint and snapped his head back with a direct blow to the chin, once again with no penalty.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

2. The injury was suffered when Alex Chiasson walked into the blue paint and snapped his head back with a direct blow to the chin, once again with no penalty.

Yeah.  It'll be more than a week.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs should change their logo from this: Logo-Montreal-Canadiens-1.jpg

To this:Target_Corporation_logo_(vector).svg

On 4/20/2021 at 5:49 PM, HabsAlways said:

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

Of these four call ups that are allowed, the Canadiens have already used three. They put Alexander Romanov and Paul Byron on the taxi squad on the day of the trade deadline and immediately called them back up afterwards. This helped save a little bit of cap space to free up enough room to add Jon Merrill and Erik Gustafsson before the deadline passed.

However, the Canadiens lost Victor Mete on waivers that day, and weren’t eligible to use either Merrill or Gustafsson as they had to quarantine for a week before joining the team.

So, they had to call up Xavier Ouellet to play April 12th against the Toronto Maple Leafs. That means, shortly after the deadline passed, the Habs had called up Romanov, Byron and Ouellet. That is three of the four recalls they are allowed to make between deadline day and the end of the regular season.

That means, the Canadiens can only call up one more player for the rest of the season.

Now, there are a few exceptions. If a team doesn’t have enough healthy players, they can use an “emergency recall” which is what they did for Cayden Primeau. With Carey Price injured, Primeau will remain on the NHL roster as an emergency recall and not count as a regular call up.

However, if the Canadiens were to insert Caufield into the lineup, they wouldn’t be allowed to recall Jake Evans for the rest of the season, unless injuries pile up. They also couldn’t recall Michael Frolik or anyone else from the taxi squad for that matter.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I think Primeau was sent back to Laval and CL was put on the taxi squad

Don't you have to have a goalie on the taxi squad? I thought Primeau was the back up tonight.  Also,  looks like McNiven started and won for Laval tonight. Demchenko backup.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Don't you have to have a goalie on the taxi squad? I thought Primeau was the back up tonight.  Also,  looks like McNiven started and won for Laval tonight. Demchenko backup.

They flew in CL by special charter prior to tonight's game 

23 hours ago, H_T_L said:

They flew in CL by special charter prior to tonight's game 

The NHL created taxi squads consisting of between 4-6 players per team, including a minimum of one goalie, that will practice and travel and be available in case a team needs to recall a player on short notice. All taxi squad players are subject to waiver rules, if eligible. Primeau was already up as an emergency recall.

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

The NHL created taxi squads consisting of between 4-6 players per team, including a minimum of one goalie, that will practice and travel and be available in case a team needs to recall a player on short notice. All taxi squad players are subject to waiver rules, if eligible. Primeau was already up as an emergency recall.

You are correct about Primeau. With Price injured Primeau was moved off the taxi squad to backup Allen which means we had to call up Charlie as the 3rd goalie as you need one on the taxi squad.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/4/21/22395733/montreal-canadiens-recall-charlie-lindgren-to-taxi-squad-carey-price-injury-habs

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Carey price returning to Montreal for treatment 

On concussion protocol, he has to be out at least 7 days minimum. They flew in Lindgren on a private charter so he could join the taxi squad without isolating, so it kind of made sense to just send back Price to Montreal on the return flight. I'm not reading anything into this about his concussion being any better/worse than we thought before. If anything, maybe a good thing he's able to fly.

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Carey price returning to Montreal for treatment 

I will not be shocked if he's done for the season to be honest.   Because Goalies rely so much on their vision, they tend to be out longer with concussions. 

This was from an article in 2019

" but over the past two seasons, 14 different goalies missed a total of 276 games with a concussion or head injury caused by everything from elbows and knees to pucks off their helmets"

That's an average of 20 games per goalie .... 

18 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With Tatar, Byron, Gallagher, and Drouin all missing time, is it really not possible to get Cole into the lineup? Is it still a cap issue?

I beleive that they would need to be long term not day to day.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With Tatar, Byron, Gallagher, and Drouin all missing time, is it really not possible to get Cole into the lineup? Is it still a cap issue?

1 hour ago, richard464 said:

I beleive that they would need to be long term not day to day.

Right. Unless they go on LTIR (which means missing 24 days and 10 games), those injured players still count against the cap. Only Gallagher has gone on LTIR. Price, Tatar, Byron, and Drouin are still counting against us, so you need to replace those players AND fit them under the cap. You can recall all the replacements as emergency recalls if you have less than 12 healthy forwards, 6 healthy D men, or 2 healthy goalies, but you still need the cap space. This happened to the Flames a few years ago where they ran out of cap room and had to play a few games with only 15 skaters or so.

The problems here are that MB

1. Overspent at positions he didn't need (i.e. adding too many depth D men and over-paying them for the role they were going to play)

2. Didn't clear any cap space at the trade deadline.

3. Added more players at the deadline he didn't need. His acquisitions of Staal, Merrill, and Gustafsson largely remind me of when he went nuts adding King, Ott, Martinsen, and Nesterov. Not one of those players brought anything significant to the team but did tie down roster spots and cap. To boot, MB had to demote Byron and Evans and so on and then use recalls on them to be able to make it work, thus killing the number of post-deadline recall spots he had.

4. Has decided to retain Staal on the roster instead of demoting him in place of Evans and Caufield. If you send down Staal, you save 1.075M on the cap, which means you could actually afford to bring up both Evans and Caufield (as emergency recalls) and have them fit. His decision to cling to Staal despite the fact it's obviously not working continues to cost us.

It's been one bad management decision after another for Bergevin this year.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. MB has a really tough time admitting to a mistake by demoting them. That's why he's hung up on keeping Staal in the lineup. Doesn't want to face the heat about giving up those draft picks. Look how long it took him to admit Alzner was a huge blunder. 

Don't expect any radical roster moves as long as he's GM. Price, Weber, Chiarot/Edmundson  and the others are here to stay as long as he's in charge. He's made some nice deals while here, but it's his hard headed attitude towards some of his blunders that have hurt this team for close to a decade now.

• H_T_L locked this topic