The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Victor Mete

ramcharger440

Apparently quite a few teams were in on Mete. Ottawa had an early claim, so not sure we'll know whether other teams actually put in the official claim on him, but rumors are that Toronto and Boston were both considering him strongly too.

25 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Wish him the best I think he will succeed . One of the few fast defensman that could carry the puck.

He and We had 185 games to determine if he fit in our longer term plans. IMO Mgmt. did the right thing to cut him loose and give him a restart with another team now vs. not offering him a contract next year. His speed was never used effectively- he could catch and back check with his stick and he could skate into the offensive zone but once he got over the blue line, he was no offensive threat either stripped of the puck in the offensive corner or he had few moves or shot to create an offensive scoring chance 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Apparently quite a few teams were in on Mete. Ottawa had an early claim, so not sure we'll know whether other teams actually put in the official claim on him, but rumors are that Toronto and Boston were both considering him strongly too.

I find it hard to believe that MB didn’t shop Mete to Toronto or Boston for a 3rd-5th rounder - their loss and Ottawa’s gain 

For all the good that MB did in the off season the shit show with Mete will hopefully mean he gets shown the door.  Tired of these half asses antics of his, Mete wasn't a great asset but he was certainly a tradable one and to loose him for nothing is ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

He and We had 185 games to determine if he fit in our longer term plans. IMO Mgmt. did the right thing to cut him loose and give him a restart with another team now vs. not offering him a contract next year. His speed was never used effectively- he could catch and back check with his stick and he could skate into the offensive zone but once he got over the blue line, he was no offensive threat either stripped of the puck in the offensive corner or he had few moves or shot to create an offensive scoring chance 

I find it hard to believe that MB didn’t shop Mete to Toronto or Boston for a 3rd-5th rounder - their loss and Ottawa’s gain 

The fact  is he could skate and he was able to make a really good first pass, also only 22 years old. Keep him in the fold he he is to young to just give up on, especially for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

The fact  is he could skate and he was able to make a really good first pass, also only 22 years old. Keep him in the fold he he is to young to just give up on, especially for nothing. 

Also if you had to make a move and there were no takers leading up to the deadline, waive him after the deadline, Better to lose him after you have exhausted all avenues than to lose him when there were clearly buyers out there.

honestly im more upset about losing Juulsen (who probably will never make it because of injuries, but still showed promise) than Mete.

I think its funny so many people are angry and convinced Mete was "tradable" when we have zero information about whether MB tried to trade him.  I would find it unlikely he didnt first exhaust options on the trade front -  its just funny how certain the armchair GMs are about a player's value. lol. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

honestly im more upset about losing Juulsen (who probably will never make it because of injuries, but still showed promise) than Mete.

I think its funny so many people are angry and convinced Mete was "tradable" when we have zero information about whether MB tried to trade him.  I would find it unlikely he didnt first exhaust options on the trade front -  its just funny how certain the armchair GMs are about a player's value. lol. 

My issue isn't waiving Mete so much as it is the timing. Deals happen all the time in the last hour of the deadline, something could have materialized, if not then waive him.

Mete couldn't make it in Montreal and now he has a chance to play, good for him.  If he was tradeable he would have been traded and if Boston or Toronto want to sign him next year I hope they do because they are in our division.

I think waiving him before the deadline gave MB a better understanding of what cap space he had available to spend at the deadline.

Mete should consider joining Sekac, Hudon, and Andrighetto next season in Europe. I hope his hockey career continues as long as he wants to play.  At least, he got his wish to get out of Montreal.

1 hour ago, RCAF48 said:

Mete couldn't make it in Montreal and now he has a chance to play, good for him.  If he was tradeable he would have been traded and if Boston or Toronto want to sign him next year I hope they do because they are in our division.

I think waiving him before the deadline gave MB a better understanding of what cap space he had available to spend at the deadline.

For sure. And i think Merrill was the replacement for Mete.  We traded spare parts for Merril, I assume Mete was offered as part of the deal (or instead of what we gave up). We lose age in that swap but thats about it.  

1 hour ago, RCAF48 said:

Mete should consider joining Sekac, Hudon, and Andrighetto next season in Europe. I hope his hockey career continues as long as he wants to play.  At least, he got his wish to get out of Montreal.

Got to agree here. he was just not good enough he was in no way a shut down guy so you would think he would be an offensive type D man but he has so few points in the end he was outclassed. Europe might be his best shot for a good career.

Just now, maas_art said:

For sure. And i think Merrill was the replacement for Mete.  We traded spare parts for Merril, I assume Mete was offered as part of the deal (or instead of what we gave up). We lose age in that swap but thats about it.  

At least with Merill you have a Dman with a defined role that he is actually good at.

• H_T_L locked this topic