The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jordan Harris

Jordan Harris has decided to turn down the Montreal Candiens contract offer and return to Northeaster for his Sr. year. With this new development what is the likelihood that Harris is just hoping to sign somewhere else? Should we maybe look at packaging him with picks for Ekholm or Dunn or another top LHD or should standby and by and wait and see what happens potentially losing him for nothing? Personally this makes me nervous that he would choose to go back over turning pro and joining Montrea\Laval this year.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Jordan Harris has decided to turn down the Montreal Candiens contract offer and return to Northeaster for his Sr. year. With this new development what is the likelihood that Harris is just hoping to sign somewhere else? Should we maybe look at packaging him with picks for Ekholm or Dunn or another top LHD or should standby and by and wait and see what happens potentially losing him for nothing? Personally this makes me nervous that he would choose to go back over turning pro and joining Montrea\Laval this year.

does he have any value now that he will be free to sign with anyone he wants at the end of the season? 

Maybe if we traded him to a team he would sign with this year and not return to his senior year

15 minutes ago, habsisme said:

does he have any value now that he will be free to sign with anyone he wants at the end of the season? 

Maybe if we traded him to a team he would sign with this year and not return to his senior year

He has value still I believe, I think his major issue is the 14 day Quarantine, I could be wrong though. It is much the same as when Poehling went back for his Sr. year, he still had value and eventually signed with Montreal but it was a bit concerning. Hopefully this works out exactly the same as Poehling did, there is no real reason to expect it won't though.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

impossible to know.  
Its rare but some guys just want to finish their college programs.  I think its tough to speculate on whether the team is concerned or not at this stage.  My guess is, with all the defensmen they have, they told him to go back & do one last year & there will be a spot for him next season. Its probably best for his development & I believe they have been happy with the NCAA as a development system. 

That said, i think his value in a trade is probably pretty minor. Less than Mete even.  If you needed to sweeten a deal maybe he adds that, but personally i hate throw-ins of young players (Houle messed so many of those up). 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I don't know that I would panic on that. Jordan Harris can be a UFA at age 20 and over next year (much like Jimmy Vesey did and teams bid for his services and he stunk the joint out as he was older than most in the NCAA). Harris is not going to make any more money - players 21 and under which he will be, have to do 3 year ELC's. If he holds out until post-July 7th - his birthday, then he will be 22 and can sign a 2 year ELC, but would that make sense with July free agency.? Who knows what's in his head - maybe getting 1 year closer to UFA. Maybe he wants to see where his opportunities are to play vs. a habs logjam at LHD. Is it our organization or playing in Canada that he may not like? I don't think anyone sees Harris as a #1#2 pairing so we are talking about a #3#4 or #5#6 on the depth chart. Giving up Harris in a bona fide trade offer as you surmised, yes based on this angle, he might be the one I would be most prepared to package.

Perhaps a shrewd move on MB drafting Guhle even though some said we had sufficient LHD coming thru. I'm certain Guhle will turn out to be solid #3#4 in 2 years, and compliment Romanov.  Norlinder and Struble if and that's a big if they reach some ceilings, IMO are our best prospect depths for #1#2 pairings. 

14 minutes ago, claremont said:

I don't know that I would panic on that. Jordan Harris can be a UFA at age 20 and over next year (much like Jimmy Vesey did and teams bid for his services and he stunk the joint out as he was older than most in the NCAA). Harris is not going to make any more money - players 21 and under which he will be, have to do 3 year ELC's. If he holds out until post-July 7th - his birthday, then he will be 22 and can sign a 2 year ELC, but would that make sense with July free agency.? Who knows what's in his head - maybe getting 1 year closer to UFA. Maybe he wants to see where his opportunities are to play vs. a habs logjam at LHD. Is it our organization or playing in Canada that he may not like? I don't think anyone sees Harris as a #1#2 pairing so we are talking about a #3#4 or #5#6 on the depth chart. Giving up Harris in a bona fide trade offer as you surmised, yes based on this angle, he might be the one I would be most prepared to package.

Perhaps a shrewd move on MB drafting Guhle even though some said we had sufficient LHD coming thru. I'm certain Guhle will turn out to be solid #3#4 in 2 years, and compliment Romanov.  Norlinder and Struble if and that's a big if they reach some ceilings, IMO are our best prospect depths for #1#2 pairings. 

Agree. I dont think its panic time now. 

I know people seem to think that with Chairot out he would have a shot but honestly he'd be heading to the AHL.  I mean they'd be much more likely to slot Romanov on LD and bring up Brook or Fleury rather than insert Harris into the NHL lineup at this stage imho. 

I see no reason to believe its really anything more than the team and the player agreeing his best course of action was one more year of college. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agree. I don't think its panic time now. 

I know people seem to think that with Chiarot out he would have a shot but honestly he'd be heading to the AHL.  I mean they'd be much more likely to slot Romanov on LD and bring up Brook or Fleury rather than insert Harris into the NHL lineup at this stage imho. 

I see no reason to believe its really anything more than the team and the player agreeing his best course of action was one more year of college. 

I agree as well. Jake Evans went the full 4 years and there wasn't a problem signing him. There really is no spot for Jordan Harris now. Let him do the same as CC, and continue to dominate college hockey. Did they even offer him a contract? I say probably not. No need to rush Harris. Let him continue his development.