The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eric Staal

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

Simply just a waste of picks. This guy has no added value. 

I would sooner be saving these picks to sweeten a pot, like a 1st, 3rd and 5th, plus a player for a need, like a top pairing deeman. 

the problem this year is how do you pay for the good D man? the fact Buf is paying a good chunk of his salary makes this a good trade. many think this is going to be a weak draft year and our young centermen may just learn a thing or two from Staal. Suzuki was slumping a bit KK has been doing much better lately but in a tough heavy hitting game Staal will have moments where he can really help out. we need to drop a couple of underperforming contracts. there are three players i like that come to mind #1 Byron great guy not doing anything of substance for us anymore. #2 Lehks guy works hard just no production to speak of. others include Armia and Tater these two are so inconsistent this year it is really frustrating to watch.

I like the pickup. I think Ted posted just a few days ago about how 3rd round picks (and beyond) are unlikely to make much of a future impact at the NHL level. Surrendering those two picks for Staal seems like nothing really. We still have two picks in each of those rounds.

He'll improve our bottom six, I think. If Evans returns to Laval, so be it. He hasn't really done much in a bottom six role for Montreal this season. I guess Frolik is not gonna get to play a single game this season.

And yes, it'll seem funny seeing Staal and Perry playing on the same line.

Here's a look at Staal's career in numbers:

1,272 - The 36-year-old centreman boasts 1,272 games of NHL experience in the regular season with the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Rangers, Minnesota Wild and the Sabres.

1,031 - The veteran pivot has registered 439 goals, 592 assists and 1,031 points in 17 seasons in the NHL ranks.

51 - The Thunder Bay, ON native has amassed 21 goals, 30 assists and 51 points in 62 career postseason games.

3 - Staal has registered three 40-plus goal seasons over the course of his career, most recently accomplishing the feat in 2017-18 when he scored a franchise record 42 goals with Minnesota.

12 - Staal has scored at least 20 goals in a single season on 12 occasions. The last time was in 2018-19 when he lit the lamp 22 times in 81 games with the Wild.

10 - The former first-round selection of the Hurricanes (2nd overall) in 2003 has collected at least 60 points on 10 occasions in 17 seasons. Staal set career-highs in goals (45), assists (55) and points (100) during the 2005-06 campaign with Carolina.

11 - Staal is a member of the select "Triple Gold Club" courtesy of his Stanley Cup triumph with the Hurricanes in 2006, his World Championship gold medal with Canada in 2007, and his gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010. Only 11 Canadian players have accomplished that feat. The elite group includes 30 members (19 forwards, 10 defensemen and one coach).

7 - Staal served as captain of the Hurricanes for seven seasons, from 2009-10 to 2015-16. He registered 322 goals, 453 assists and 775 points in 909 career games with Carolina.

6 - The former Peterborough Petes (OHL) forward has taken part in six NHL All-Star Games. He was named the MVP in 2008.

10 - In 32 games with the Sabres this season, Staal has three goals, seven assists and 10 points.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:03 AM, H_T_L said:

Could play Monday but DD non committal. He likes the way the team is playing right now

thats a good sign imho.  I think Staal will add another dimension to this lineup but DD make it at least seem like its not a sure thing, seems to imply Staal wont just be given a spot.  Thats positive. I think he' supplant Evans for now (or at least move him to the wing) but i dont think he'll be taking away from guys like Suzuki or JK and thats the most important thing imho. 

On 4/2/2021 at 11:03 AM, H_T_L said:

Could play Monday but DD non committal. He likes the way the team is playing right now

"committal". Are you on booze or drugs? Asking for a friend. 

download (1).jpg

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Apparently he had a big night in the face-off dot as well. Maybe face-offs can be a strength for the team as we roll towards the end of the regular season.

The added bonus of bringing in guys like Staal and Perry when you have players like Suzuki and JK still learning the ropes is that players often respond better to watching/practicing with teammates than just listening to coaches.  I remember when we got Perrault back in 2001 or 2002 - and our centre's FO abilities all improved substantially because he worked with all of them to help them get better. 

Will be interesting to see if this has a trickle down effect on Suzuki & JK.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 1:42 PM, maas_art said:

The added bonus of bringing in guys like Staal and Perry when you have players like Suzuki and JK still learning the ropes is that players often respond better to watching/practicing with teammates than just listening to coaches.  I remember when we got Perrault back in 2001 or 2002 - and our centre's FO abilities all improved substantially because he worked with all of them to help them get better. 

Will be interesting to see if this has a trickle down effect on Suzuki & JK.  

I am wondering how many games they will give Staal before returning back to Evans. Staal is good on faceoffs and a big body but any speed he had is gone - I think this is Eric's last year and it\s sad to see a potential HOF player exit like this

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

This.  Yes. Bring back Evans.

At least let Evans get one game on B2B's. Rest up the old fart. I'd like to see them rest Weber the same way with those extra 2 bodies next week on D.

The Habs continuing to play Staal like he isn't eight steps behind the play reminds me of the year they acquired Dwight King and just kept throwing him out there. King, Martinsen, Ott, Davidson, Nesterov... he just brought in a bunch of terrible unskilled players and they jsut kept throwing them out there. He also has a penchant for washed-up guys with big name recognition... Gonchar, Streit, Kovalchuk, Perry, Semin, Kaberle, the return of Tomas Plekanec. So Staal fits with what Bergevin has done for the past 9 years.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, BigTed3 said:

It's a decent deal. Staal at 1.6M (with the 50% retained) is not bad. Trading a 3rd and a 5th is not bad. The question is what all this means... we have a lot of forwards, and Staal is almost certainly here to play a bottom 6 center role. So the easy move is to send Evans back down to the AHL. He could use it. However, MB also sets himself up now for the possibility of trading Danault. If Danault doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract, out he goes. MB has Staal for this year and Poehling maybe coming next year to be able to replace Danault if he has to. Not ideal, but doable. So maybe this is also a bargaining chip against Danault in addition to an add to the roster.

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs continuing to play Staal like he isn't eight steps behind the play reminds me of the year they acquired Dwight King and just kept throwing him out there. King, Martinsen, Ott, Davidson, Nesterov... he just brought in a bunch of terrible unskilled players and they jsut kept throwing them out there. He also has a penchant for washed-up guys with big name recognition... Gonchar, Streit, Kovalchuk, Perry, Semin, Kaberle, the return of Tomas Plekanec. So Staal fits with what Bergevin has done for the past 9 years.

So which is it a decent deal or waste of picks and energy?  Jake Evans fits the 4th line better then Staal by a mile, Evans can play with tempo and pace and did not cost us any picks.

Do you still think Stall can fill Danault spot?

Yes the odds are not great in the 3rd and 5th round. But if you dont have those picks then you have no chance at all

How about a pairing of Kris Letang and Chara, Adam Fox and Colton Parakyo or Brad Marchand or Brayden Point or Jake Guentzel, Brendan Gallagher, Jamie Benn, Kirill Kaprisov. Zubov, Klingberg

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

So which is it a decent deal or waste of picks and energy?  Jake Evans fits the 4th line better then Staal by a mile, Evans can play with tempo and pace and did not cost us any picks.

Do you still think Stall can fill Danault spot?

Yes the odds are not great in the 3rd and 5th round. But if you dont have those picks then you have no chance at all

How about a pairing of Kris Letang and Chara, Adam Fox and Colton Parakyo or Brad Marchand or Brayden Point or Jake Guentzel, Brendan Gallagher, Jamie Benn, Kirill Kaprisov. Zubov, Klingberg

Clearly it's been a bad trade. As everyone said, the return wasn't huge in itself. But since the trade was made, we then saw Buffalo give up better players for more favorable returns, so in retrospect, MB overpaid... Montour fetched only a 3rd and he was a better fit here than Staal. And Hall got only a 2nd and a lower-tier player and that would have been a better price to pay for a superior forward. So both thoughts are true.. at the time the trade was made, it was a decent deal. With the information we have since regarding other trades made as well as the way Staal has played, it's turned out to be a stinker. I've said this before, but if you can't skate well enough to keep up, it's very difficult to overcome that, and Staal cannot skate and doesn't bring enough else yet to warrant remaining in the line-up.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Clearly it's been a bad trade. As everyone said, the return wasn't huge in itself. But since the trade was made, we then saw Buffalo give up better players for more favorable returns, so in retrospect, MB overpaid... Montour fetched only a 3rd and he was a better fit here than Staal. And Hall got only a 2nd and a lower-tier player and that would have been a better price to pay for a superior forward. So both thoughts are true.. at the time the trade was made, it was a decent deal. With the information we have since regarding other trades made as well as the way Staal has played, it's turned out to be a stinker. I've said this before, but if you can't skate well enough to keep up, it's very difficult to overcome that, and Staal cannot skate and doesn't bring enough else yet to warrant remaining in the line-up.

I think, when you overplay a diminishing asset, you expose the flaws, aka Weber. By playing Staal excessively and every game exposes exactly what you have. Maybe, and they need to do it with Perry,  as well, limit the games and the minutes. Especially  moreso,  with Staal. Also, certain teams he(they) should not be dressed for. Basically,  it boils down to asset management.  Ducharme needs to play them accordingly,  and not worry about what bergevin thinks or Staal, Perry or Weber.

16 hours ago, claremont said:

I am wondering how many games they will give Staal before returning back to Evans. Staal is good on faceoffs and a big body but any speed he had is gone - I think this is Eric's last year and it\s sad to see a potential HOF player exit like this

Agree.  I didnt watch him at all this year in buffalo but he's just a shell of his former self - even compared with last year in Minny.  He's not actively hurting us (like one former elite defenseman on our roster) but he's not doing much aside from mostly decent defensive play. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  I didnt watch him at all this year in buffalo but he's just a shell of his former self - even compared with last year in Minny.  He's not actively hurting us (like one former elite defenseman on our roster) but he's not doing much aside from mostly decent defensive play. 

As long as he's playing 4th line not taking away JK's spot. I think he's better at face offs than Evans and as good defensively. If it's between Stall and Evans I don't think he's hurting us and against tougher teams may be better.