The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eric Staal

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

As long as he's playing 4th line not taking away JK's spot. I think he's better at face offs than Evans and as good defensively. If it's between Stall and Evans I don't think he's hurting us and against tougher teams may be better.

He is actively hurting us though, he cannot get to the puck, period. Its like a penalty kill everytime he is out on the ice. He is a minus 8 after 8 games with the habs, worst on the team. 

10 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Does anyone even think Eric and his "experience" will suddenly find another gear and more  legs come play-off time ? ... not me  

this ^^

in a "normal" season the experience / age factor may be sometimes advantageous , but the schedule this year is waaaaaay too brutal on the older players 

23 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Does anyone even think Eric and his "experience" will suddenly find another gear and more  legs come play-off time ? ... not me  

Yeah, I keep hearing how Montreal is "built for the playoffs." :lol: It's become a common refrain with some media people and fans, it seems. I will believe it when I see it.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I keep hearing how Montreal is "built for the playoffs." :lol: It's become a common refrain with some media people and fans, it seems. I will believe it when I see it.

I hope we're wrong. I just dont see how plays like where Auston Matthews completely undressed Weber a short while back would be any different in the playoffs.  I mean i could see if say, Weber had pulled him down and taken a penalty you'd say "that wouldnt be called in the post season" but he just flat out burned past him. I dont think any additional clutch and grab is going to do much of anything at this point. 

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I hope we're wrong. I just dont see how plays like where Auston Matthews completely undressed Weber a short while back would be any different in the playoffs.  I mean i could see if say, Weber had pulled him down and taken a penalty you'd say "that wouldnt be called in the post season" but he just flat out burned past him. I dont think any additional clutch and grab is going to do much of anything at this point. 

Not to mention that the other 3 teams in our division who are likely to make the playoffs are ranked 3rd (Edm), 4th (Wpg), and 11th (Tor) respectively on the PP. If we're taking penalties galore because we can't keep up speed-wise, we'll pay for it. Mtl has the 21st ranked PP and 22nd ranked PK.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Staal removed from the PP today. How much longer before he's on the bench??

The problem is who they call up. That will be their 4th and final roster move until the playoffs.   

I dont think we'll see anyone moved (ie staal sent down) unless it gets worse, or there's an injury. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

The problem is who they call up. That will be their 4th and final roster move until the playoffs.   

I dont think we'll see anyone moved (ie staal sent down) unless it gets worse, or there's an injury. 

I'm not sure, but don't the rules change in the POs? 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

How much worse can it honestly get? We have 12 goals in our last 8 games and 1 in the last 2 games! We need any offense we can get, even if that means using a 20 Y.O. undersized rookie and burning our last callup in the process! We can't sit back and keep trying the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

How much worse can it honestly get? We have 12 goals in our last 8 games and 1 in the last 2 games! We need any offense we can get, even if that means using a 20 Y.O. undersized rookie and burning our last callup in the process! We can't sit back and keep trying the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein's, widely credited, famous line: "Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." 

STOP the insanity already!

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It could also be the spark the team needs! There is a history of rookies coming in and catching fire. Cale Makar jumped directly in from NCAA and made immediate impact which is harder at defense. Basically what does the team have to lose? You burn the call up , well if we save the call up and end up not making the playoffs what good is that?

Yeah this guy is no Corry Perry! if I was coach this guy would not be on the ice right now not enough impact every game Perry does something to impact the game in a good way this guy not so much! you can have one older guy like this at forward but two is too much it takes us too far away from the fast team concept.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah this guy is no Corry Perry! if I was coach this guy would not be on the ice right now not enough impact every game Perry does something to impact the game in a good way this guy not so much! you can have one older guy like this at forward but two is too much it takes us too far away from the fast team concept.

yup ....Jake Evan plays better defence , creates more chances , is faster and hits ....Staal looks like he's waiting for the puck to land on his stick with minimal board work ...I'd love it if he proved everyone wrong but sorry..... mistake signing 10 years too late   

7 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

yup ....Jake Evan plays better defence , creates more chances , is faster and hits ....Staal looks like he's waiting for the puck to land on his stick with minimal board work ...I'd love it if he proved everyone wrong but sorry..... mistake signing 10 years too late   

Entirely agree - I had thought Staal was supposed to be better at face-off wins but those contributions are minimal compared to the rest of his game. It's going to be tough for MB to admit he made a mistake and dump his butt into the waiver wire

54 minutes ago, claremont said:

Entirely agree - I had thought Staal was supposed to be better at face-off wins but those contributions are minimal compared to the rest of his game. It's going to be tough for MB to admit he made a mistake and dump his butt into the waiver wire

Yep I would say Evans is better across the board.

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Honestly even 2 years ago he was a solid player. Its like he's fallen off a cliff this last season.  In Minny he wasnt elite but he was still a quality top 9 player.  This year he's been, frankly, possibly our worst forward. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Honestly even 2 years ago he was a solid player. Its like he's fallen off a cliff this last season.  In Minny he wasnt elite but he was still a quality top 9 player.  This year he's been, frankly, possibly our worst forward. 

Staal put up 42 goals in MInnesota just 3 years ago. He put up 47 points in 66 games last year, which would have been 58 points over 82 games. We only had 1 guy last year who out-scored that pace. We had one guy better than that two years ago and one guy who hit 58 exactly. We had none in 2017-18. So Staal even last year would have been one of our top offensive performers. As you said, he really just fell off a cliff and it just goes to show how players tend to do that when they hit that 32-35 range. I've given this list before, but look at Plekanec, Gomez, Hamrlik, Kaberle, Markov, Weber, and so on... guys who were clearly top 6 forwards/top 3 D men and then kind of dropped off over a very short period of time. It's not to say these guys can't still be useful, but expectations need to change. In Staal's case, he really can't be on the PP as a default when he's not performing there. It also heeds a warning of how to handle players like Petry and Tatar and Gallagher who will be heading into this age range and potential drop-off in coming years.

18 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah. Kinda like Weber.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

Yeah. Kinda like Weber.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Staal's case, he really can't be on the PP as a default when he's not performing there

He's not performing anywhere because he can't keep up with the speed of this club . There's a reason he was let go and signed cheaply and we're now seeing . I've always liked Staal but I think the game has passed him by in a short 2-year span ...he should only be used when someone is injured at this point .....it would be another thing if he actually hit opposing players more than once every 2 games 

4 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

He's not performing anywhere because he can't keep up with the speed of this club . There's a reason he was let go and signed cheaply and we're now seeing . I've always liked Staal but I think the game has passed him by in a short 2-year span ...he should only be used when someone is injured at this point .....it would be another thing if he actually hit opposing players more than once every 2 games 

Yeah. He's pretty slow mo out there. You can see he wants to,  but the body is taking too long to respond, and then he seems kinda surprised. Might help against a big slow team, but not many out there.