The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eric Staal

Burn his contract! do it now! LOL! really though we need to get our kids into the show and start moving forward not back into the past with this guy! Perry works for me as he can still play and he adds to the team in a limited role not Stall he is a major negative!

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Burn his contract! do it now! LOL! really though we need to get our kids into the show and start moving forward not back into the past with this guy! Perry works for me as he can still play and he adds to the team in a limited role not Stall he is a major negative!

Well the good news is he is an UFA this summer, so no more contract to burn.   Lets hope he doesnt get played much in the post season - or maybe he has a miraculous turn around but I wouldnt hold my breath. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Even Eric Staal is being praised on the Toronto radio for his work 

Well the Staal we've seen in the post season is about 100x better than the guy we saw in the regular season.  He's been really effective and i think exactly what they expected when they traded for him.   He's tied for second (with Perry, Suzuki and Armia) with 4 pts in 6 games and is actually 2nd in PPG (since he played 1 less game than the others) behind only Toffoli. 

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Even Eric Staal is being praised on the Toronto radio for his work 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Well the Staal we've seen in the post season is about 100x better than the guy we saw in the regular season.  He's been really effective and i think exactly what they expected when they traded for him.   He's tied for second (with Perry, Suzuki and Armia) with 4 pts in 6 games and is actually 2nd in PPG (since he played 1 less game than the others) behind only Toffoli. 

Yep, based on what I've seen during the regular season, Staal was a disaster (aside from his OT goal of course) and I was frankly wondering why he's even in the lineup on most nights. In the Leafs series though, different story. Similar to Perry, the speed just isn't there anymore, but he's still played very reliable, effective minutes in a sheltered role thanks to his hockey sense and experience, which is all you can ask for really.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Yep, based on what I've seen during the regular season, Staal was a disaster (aside from his OT goal of course) and I was frankly wondering why he's even in the lineup on most nights. In the Leafs series though, different story. Similar to Perry, the speed just isn't there anymore, but he's still played very reliable, effective minutes in a sheltered role thanks to his hockey sense and experience, which is all you can ask for really.

Have to agree he really picked it up a notch. good on him!

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I wasnt expecting miracles when he came but he was just so bad on both sides of the puck but in the playoffs its been a different story.  Maybe he needed time to adjust or he was not gelling with his linemates or had a minor injury but whatever it was, its gone. He's making smart plays offensively and defensively. In the last game he made a couple of very nice defensive plays, especially late in the 3rd.  Thats what you expect from a formerly elite vet - they may not have the wheels but they still have the vision. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I wasnt expecting miracles when he came but he was just so bad on both sides of the puck but in the playoffs its been a different story.  Maybe he needed time to adjust or he was not gelling with his linemates or had a minor injury but whatever it was, its gone. He's making smart plays offensively and defensively. In the last game he made a couple of very nice defensive plays, especially late in the 3rd.  Thats what you expect from a formerly elite vet - they may not have the wheels but they still have the vision. 

This,,,, he has looked better then the regular season for sure. Maybe that week of practice and rest before round 1 was the ticket. Still wish he had hit that open net setup though.

10 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe the fact that playoff hockey isn't necessarily high-tempo hockey plays a role as well. During the regular season, the game is usually wide open with a lot of attacks happening on the rush, whereas during the playoffs we see teams focusing on trying to block passing lanes and slowing things down in general, which naturally favors our older and slower guys.

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Maybe the fact that playoff hockey isn't necessarily high-tempo hockey plays a role as well. During the regular season, the game is usually wide open with a lot of attacks happening on the rush, whereas during the playoffs we see teams focusing on trying to block passing lanes and slowing things down in general, which naturally favors our older and slower guys.

But also a factor regarding who our opponent was. Toronto had Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds on their 4th line, which is who Staal was mainly playing against. Three old, slow guys in their own right. Could be a different story if Staal has to play against Colorado or Vegas or Tampa down the line.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

But also a factor regarding who our opponent was. Toronto had Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds on their 4th line, which is who Staal was mainly playing against. Three old, slow guys in their own right. Could be a different story if Staal has to play against Colorado or Vegas or Tampa down the line.

No doubt, those matchups helped too.

Don't look now but Eric Staal is now tied for team lead in points (6 in 7 games) for the post-season.  What a turn-around. 

I think that line is being used really effectively by DD & could prove to be a difference maker going forward. They wont get chances every shift but even a few a game will make them effective against the opposition's bottom lines. 

On 6/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, BigTed3 said:

For sure the matchups helped. I dont think Staal & Perry would match well against another team's top lines but I do think they can handle most teams' 3rd or 4th lines, even if they're not dinosaurs like the Leafs.   

Some folks can't admit they were wrong about a player not me. this guy was not great at all in the regular season but if he continues to give us what he has so far in the playoffs then I will be just fine with him being here. the guy has delivered the goods in the playoffs.

Sometimes  when you come up from the minors( Buffalo) you need an extended preseason (25 games since trade deadline) before your ready to go. From his perspectice this must seem like a dream. I think he is starting to wake up. I can't imagine getting up and going in Buffalo ( see Taylor Hall). If we can get half his production through the palyoffs we are going to get scarey. (especially with Carey shutting the door)

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Some folks can't admit they were wrong about a player not me. this guy was not great at all in the regular season but if he continues to give us what he has so far in the playoffs then I will be just fine with him being here. the guy has delivered the goods in the playoffs.

Yeah,,,count me in. He sure seemed like a useless tool in the regular season. 

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah,,,count me in. He sure seemed like a useless tool in the regular season. 

Im pretty sure we ALL misjudged Staal.   I couldnt understand how he could be less thank 2 years removed from a 40g season and doing that...  but he seems to have found his niche on our 4th line.  He and Perry are everything Toronto thought they had in their 4th line. Haha. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Im pretty sure we ALL misjudged Staal.   I couldnt understand how he could be less thank 2 years removed from a 40g season and doing that...  but he seems to have found his niche on our 4th line.  He and Perry are everything Toronto thought they had in their 4th line. Haha. 

The turnaround came after that week off where he actually got to practice rather then play every other day and sometimes 3 games in 4 nights. Never had that chance since being picked up. That's pretty grueling for old guys to cope with. No longer a waste of space on that 4th line. Hope he holds up.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Some folks still don't think he has a place in our lineup......

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Don't look now but Eric Staal is now tied for team lead in points (6 in 7 games) for the post-season.  What a turn-around. 

I think that line is being used really effectively by DD & could prove to be a difference maker going forward. They wont get chances every shift but even a few a game will make them effective against the opposition's bottom lines. 

Shhhh don’t let MB know.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I wonder as well whether Armia is just simply a better fit for those two. If Staal and Perry are playing with Byron or Caufield or Evans, those guys skate so much faster that they have to slow down their play to wait for Staal/Perry and then lose their effectiveness. Staal and Perry played the cycle game really well the past couple of nights and Armia does that well too. So I wonder if that line just now has three guys who want to play the same way. The downside is that if the other team matches up with a really quick 4th line, we're at risk of giving up a lot of counter attack, but if Wpg is going to keep using Old Man Thompson, we should be fine.

I will still say that Staal is the 5th best center on the team when everyone is healthy and he still shouldn't be on the PP, but he's played well in the post-season thus far.

59 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I wonder as well whether Armia is just simply a better fit for those two. If Staal and Perry are playing with Byron or Caufield or Evans, those guys skate so much faster that they have to slow down their play to wait for Staal/Perry and then lose their effectiveness. Staal and Perry played the cycle game really well the past couple of nights and Armia does that well too. So I wonder if that line just now has three guys who want to play the same way. The downside is that if the other team matches up with a really quick 4th line, we're at risk of giving up a lot of counter attack, but if Wpg is going to keep using Old Man Thompson, we should be fine.

I will still say that Staal is the 5th best center on the team when everyone is healthy and he still shouldn't be on the PP, but he's played well in the post-season thus far.

Yeah, but for some reason right now he's the one leading our team in pts ... so there's that.   Think its a case of our top lines being shut down or not performing and the Staal/Perry/Armia line being a nightmare once they get it in the zone ... if they can get out of our zone and get the puck deep they're able to keep there almost at will as all three guys are some of the strongest players on the boards in the league. 

The issue is getting it out of the zone ...which Armia seems to have solved ... he gets it out of our zone, rags it through the neutral zone to the let the two old guys catch up, then dumps and chases it forcing the D to turn and follow him, letting the old guys catch up even more.  Its working, I don't know if its sustainable.

Well it has become a bit of a theme with the media in Toronto and the fans that regular season perfomance is rather meaningless in comparison to the playoffs. We have picked up some very valuable playoff performers who are proving that theory right so far. Tt he problem was we got so bad we nearly didn't get here and then took somtime to get going against Toronto. The experienced players are starting  to show their value to the point that our 4th line may be more dangerous  than the others. It has been a bit of a strange year. With about ten games left we looked like we would never win another one, but how times have changed. If we can find a way to win 11 games I'll be ecstatic.

9 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah, but for some reason right now he's the one leading our team in pts ... so there's that.   Think its a case of our top lines being shut down or not performing and the Staal/Perry/Armia line being a nightmare once they get it in the zone ... if they can get out of our zone and get the puck deep they're able to keep there almost at will as all three guys are some of the strongest players on the boards in the league. 

The issue is getting it out of the zone ...which Armia seems to have solved ... he gets it out of our zone, rags it through the neutral zone to the let the two old guys catch up, then dumps and chases it forcing the D to turn and follow him, letting the old guys catch up even more.  Its working, I don't know if its sustainable.

9 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Well it has become a bit of a theme with the media in Toronto and the fans that regular season perfomance is rather meaningless in comparison to the playoffs. We have picked up some very valuable playoff performers who are proving that theory right so far. Tt he problem was we got so bad we nearly didn't get here and then took somtime to get going against Toronto. The experienced players are starting  to show their value to the point that our 4th line may be more dangerous  than the others. It has been a bit of a strange year. With about ten games left we looked like we would never win another one, but how times have changed. If we can find a way to win 11 games I'll be ecstatic.

That's a big line at 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, 600+ pounds so I concur that in the offensive zone, the other team's D has some immoveable objects in the corner cycle possessions. If we can get our D to transition the puck to one of them more likely Perry or Armia, then game on. If the ASP's (Armia, Staal, Perry), can get it back to the point, there's some rather large bodies in front for screening, tips or rebounds. 

I didn't like Staal for the regular season and still don't for the long run but the numbers aren't lying so far.