The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Monday April 12th

Also need to remember that the Habs have a group of impending UFA's (Danault, Tatar, Armia). Given Bergevin thinks Habs can win this year, he's unlikely to deal them, but once the deadline passes, they control their own destiny as to whether they stay or walk for free. Last chance to get anything for them if MB thinks they won't come back.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Sam Bennett, who was once thought to be a potential Habs target, off to Florida...

At this point id be pretty surprised if MB tried to land a forward. I know losing gallagher hurts but I think they believe they can replace him internally.

The real question is defense. I think MB believes when Chairot comes back all will be good (plus the addition of Merrill and the [1 game, lol] play of Niskanen) but do the coaches agree?  Has DD asked for a change on the blueline?  Would be interesting to know. 

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Erik Gustafsson traded to Habs according to Elliotte Friedman...

Another 29 year-old LHD impending UFA. AAV 3M on his deal this year. A bit more offensive upside here than some other players MB has targeted. Have to wonder if this is a hockey trade and an asset going back (Armia? Lehkonen?) or if MB is using the Gallagher LTIR cap room...

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Erik Gustafsson traded to Habs according to Elliotte Friedman...

For a 7th Rd. pick. 

Erik Gustafsson

Defense -- shoots L
Born Mar 14 1992 -- Nynashamn, Sweden
[29 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 197 [183 cm/89 kg]

29G, 100A, in 245 GP.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Another 29 year-old LHD impending UFA. AAV 3M on his deal this year. A bit more offensive upside here than some other players MB has targeted. Have to wonder if this is a hockey trade and an asset going back (Armia? Lehkonen?) or if MB is using the Gallagher LTIR cap room...

He's a lot like Kulak from what i remember.  decent skating, not particularly physical but decent passer. 

Just now, maas_art said:

He's a lot like Kulak from what i remember.  decent skating, not particularly physical but decent passer. 

He once put up 60 pts with the Hawks a couple of years ago. Can't be terrible, but I don't know enough about him to make a full assessment of this yet. Seems like a better add than most others and for a 7th with 50% salary retained, I have no complaints.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

He once put up 60 pts with the Hawks a couple of years ago. Can't be terrible, but I don't know enough about him to make a full assessment of this yet. Seems like a better add than most others and for a 7th with 50% salary retained, I have no complaints.

Even Merrill yesterday sounds like a better skater than what we've been getting lately (in Edmundson, Chairot etc) makes you wonder if DD has asked MB to target these (or similar) guys. 

Habs D now has 9 guys...

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Leskinen

for now... with Merrill and Gustafsson on their way in a week and Chiarot also expected to return. Leskinen an easy choice to go back down. Will the Habs ride out 8 guys the rest of the way? If so, who sits from this bunch? I'm worried they're going to sit Kulak and Romanov when in practice I'd sit Chiarot and probably rotate Kulak and Edmundson and Merrill for the other spot.

Habs D now has 9 guys...

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Leskinen

for now... with Merrill and Gustafsson on their way in a week and Chiarot also expected to return. Leskinen an easy choice to go back down. Will the Habs ride out 8 guys the rest of the way? If so, who sits from this bunch? I'm worried they're going to sit Kulak and Romanov when in practice I'd sit Chiarot and probably rotate Kulak and Edmundson and Merrill for the other spot.

... and Gustafsson of course. The only regulars I'd keep would be Petry, Weber, and Romanov.

Habs D now has 9 guys...

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Leskinen

You know it's not going to be Chiarot or Edmundson. My money is on them sitting the one guy who doesn't deserve to sit,,,, Romanov

... and Gustafsson of course. The only regulars I'd keep would be Petry, Weber, and Romanov.

We replace Mete who had speed for another washed up older D man WTG MB!!!!  Can we start a petition to fire MB

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

You know it's not going to be Chiarot or Edmundson. My money is on them sitting the one guy who doesn't deserve to sit,,,, Romanov

Oh, I know. The odds are strong they go right back to

Chiarot-Weber with 1st line minutes

Edmundson-Petry

Gustafsson-Merrill

and bench Kulak and Romanov. That's what I predicted above too.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs D now has 9 guys...

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Leskinen

Gustafsson has the ability much like Romanov and Edmundson to play the right side according to cap friendly so that’s a bit of a depth move. He’s certainly for a 7th round pick at $1.5m net salary an upgrade over Mete 

FWIW, took a look at Gustafsson's advanced stats. Not a very good defensive defenceman. Pretty poor Corsi and expected goals stats except for one year with Chicago where he did well. BUT if you did deeper, his Corsi relative stats are actually always positive. So what this means is that he had his struggles defensively but he largely played on really bad defensive teams and the team actually did better with him on than off. So maybe more of this is a product of bad systems than it is a bad player. I think there's hope here that he can be a decent puck mover and give us a left-handed D man on the PP.

Renaud Lavoie says Habs are done for the day. So no impending UFA's moved out. Could come back to bite them... wondering if anyone thinks the Habs will make the conference finals or better to justify sitting tight on their free agents.

In general, an underwhelming deadline but on the other hand, didn't give up much in a year where we clearly were not true Cup contenders, so probably a win in the big scheme of things. Would have liked to see MB go after a player who could be here longer-term like Vince Dunn rather than giving up spare parts in exchange for other spare parts.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Renaud Lavoie says Habs are done for the day. So no impending UFA's moved out. Could come back to bite them... wondering if anyone thinks the Habs will make the conference finals or better to justify sitting tight on their free agents.

In general, an underwhelming deadline but on the other hand, didn't give up much in a year where we clearly were not true Cup contenders, so probably a win in the big scheme of things. Would have liked to see MB go after a player who could be here longer-term like Vince Dunn rather than giving up spare parts in exchange for other spare parts.

So now we are saying micro evidence of a new plan by MB - stick with the future upcoming prospects rather than taking some swings for short term improvement of a non-contender. Count me as generally happy that we didn’t give up our first round draft picks or prospects at this time. 
I know many are impatient and want more improvement and will disagree with my view. I am hoping that we can make more substantial  change in the off season targeting Centre improvement, and LHD for now, RHD depth for the future & LW scoring. 

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

That pretty much sums it up in one sentence,,,, spare parts for spare parts.

I'm happy we didn't trade any pertinent youth in an attempt to make any impact on this roster. My fear is that we'll be a lot OLDER rather then better skilled on D as i can see them benching Romanov when everybody clears quarantine. If that happens and it's strictly a coaching decision then DD gets my vote to get canned at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Mantha just went to Washington for Vrana and Panik + TBD. Would have liked to add either Vrana or Mantha for that price

That\s an interesting one - Mantha carries a $5.7M cap hit for this year and the next 3.He's an enigma to me - almost a reclamation project. Maybe he just has a poor team to play on with the Dead Things but he does offer significant size, We already have an over priced LW at $5.5M who is not delivering his value (yet), and both of them are the same age at 26. Might be a bit of duplication of expectations for both of them to succeed, I wonder what we might have had to give up for Mantha given his underachieving history. 

Vrana - is an RFA - might have a little more upside. The LW scoring F/A tree is thin for next year so might be better to see how Tatar does and resign Tuna before laying out bigger money in a trade for either one of these at this time.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Mantha just went to Washington for Vrana and Panik + 1st + 2nd. Would have liked to add Vrana for that price

Holy crap that was a massive overpay by the capitals unless the capitals get out of their conference - I did not read the first and second rounders - Yzerman IMO wins this one  

• H_T_L locked this topic