The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

J-P Côté Thread

hockey_gal89

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/team/redirect...&playerID=30237

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/index.php?...splay&ros_id=20

IF-this kid gets a chance to show his stuff with Bouillion and Streit out of the line up, he might be able to steal a roster spot from someone and make one of our d expendable to upgrade another position-IMO.

The reason I included the Bulldogs bio as well as the Habs is for career highlights like this:

Led Hamilton in plus/minus with a +27 rating and was 5th overall in the AHL.

Discuss amoungst yourself-Cheers! :wink:

I was very pleased with the spot-duty he did last year; in filling in for injured defensemen, he was VERY solid defensively, especially as a rookie. I'm hoping that he'll be used more in the coming seasons, as I believe he's a more promising prospect than Komisarek, and he's big but can keep up with the game.

I know little about his offensive side (though I do understand he isn't valued for his offensive talent), but what he shows in his own end of the ice is as promising as any defensive prospect I've noticed in a long time.

He does his job quietly, and he does it well. I really hope he'll get more of a chance with the big club this season, but if not, he'll still be a valuable asset to the future of the team.

I was very pleased with the spot-duty he did last year; in filling in for injured defensemen, he was VERY solid defensively, especially as a rookie. I'm hoping that he'll be used more in the coming seasons, as I believe he's a more promising prospect than Komisarek, and he's big but can keep up with the game.

I know little about his offensive side (though I do understand he isn't valued for his offensive talent), but what he shows in his own end of the ice is as promising as any defensive prospect I've noticed in a long time.

He does his job quietly, and he does it well. I really hope he'll get more of a chance with the big club this season, but if not, he'll still be a valuable asset to the future of the team.[/quote:2d5b1ffe87]

He reminds me of Rivet in the sense that he could be another one of those underrated stay-at-home guys with the potential to develop into a 2-way d-man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest swansee
Any news on J.P.'s status with his unjury?

I think some of the Dogs latest success can be directly linked to Cote's return.....I hope he teaches the young guys enough before he gets moved back up!

• 6 months later...
Am I missing something? How can Cote be UFA when he hasn't played seven years at the pro level? He's only 25 years old.

"* GROUP VI - UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

The following players qualify for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group VI free agency. These players, whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender have played fewer than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender have played fewer than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff)."

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pre...ases.asp?id=921

"* GROUP VI - UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

The following players qualify for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group VI free agency. These players, whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender have played fewer than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender have played fewer than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff)."

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressbox/pre...ases.asp?id=921

Ah, thank you for clearing that up, Graeme.

Cote's okay, but honestly, it's not a big loss if he walks.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up, Graeme.

Cote's okay, but honestly, it's not a big loss if he walks.

Letting guys as good as him walk is a big loss.

Letting guys as good as him walk is a big loss.

Really? As far as I can see, he projects as a 6th defenseman. No offense to Cote, but there are plenty of players out there who can do what he does. He's a good depth guy to have around, and dependable, but he's nothing special, and he's injury-prone to boot.

Really? As far as I can see, he projects as a 6th defenseman. No offense to Cote, but there are plenty of players out there who can do what he does. He's a good depth guy to have around, and dependable, but he's nothing special, and he's injury-prone to boot.

He missed a bunch of games this season because he blocked a shot off his ankle.

Guest P.Royfan

I'd sooner have Cote over Boullion and Dandenault. Yeah the guy lacks offensive but he can actually play in his own end. Unlike most of the we currently have with the big club.

What scares me is that the last time we lost a defensive prospect for nothing before giving him a chance and I kind of thought "well this sucks, but not a big deal" - as I will if we lose Cote - it was Francois Beauchemin.

When he's been healthy enough to get a chance, his play was quite comparable with Mike Komisarek. At least, that's what I remember seeing him as. He does seem quite injury prone though through the last few seasons.

He doesn't have nearly the physical dimension that Komisarek has, though, and he's the same age as Komi. He may turn out to be another Beauchemin, but that's highly unlikely.

I'd try to re-sign him if possible, but I won't lose that much sleep if we don't.

Guest P.Royfan
He doesn't have nearly the physical dimension that Komisarek has, though, and he's the same age as Komi. He may turn out to be another Beauchemin, but that's highly unlikely.

I'd try to re-sign him if possible, but I won't lose that much sleep if we don't.

It's that type of thinking that lost Beauchemin in the first place.

Archived