The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest 1970 Habs
You remember when Burns put Thornton on the 3rd line in Boston to teach him it's a two way game? It did wonders for Joe. I think it would be good for Latendresse to be on the 3rd line. You can learn alot and you can score on that line as well, but only after taking care of your defensive responsibilities first.

Thanks for the supportive comments. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even Bob and Guy say they want him to be good in a few years, not necessarily this year.

He is a work in progress folks. He had a decent rookie year. As long as he builds on it and grows we should be happy.

YEAH!!!!!!!

Alot of work in progress.....

I really don't forsee this kid lasting in the NHL for long..........

Just a feeling <_<

Guest gottaHABit
Tell me why more players arnt like this. I dont understand why a top notch player, which im not saying Lat is, yet" cant live his life with 5 million a year , hell i wanna play hockey for 40K a year if I could!!! Loyalty is something thats gone these days , with the exception of a few, Brodeur is one of them, but not many others, even Crosbys contract is a bit high if hes taking 1 for the team, leaving them 1.3 million is nothing. I just love how so many players say its not for the money, but it almost always is. Good for Lat for saying this, hopefully he lives up to it , like Higgins and Kom did also. " not like Ryder"

The guy is 18, and he's completed one year in the NHL. Remember, the fans haven't here turned on him yet and the organization has yet to low-ball him on a contract offer. I'd like to see how he answers that question 5 years from now.

Guest overlords
The guy is 18, and he's completed one year in the NHL. Remember, the fans haven't here turned on him yet and the organization has yet to low-ball him on a contract offer. I'd like to see how he answers that question 5 years from now.

i think he's 20 or atleast close to it now. He came up when he was 19. I think that lats has the skills needed and potential to be great. He may not be a lecavalier, but he could be that big physical guy we've wanted for so long up front. I think his first goal reflects alot of his character. He got in deep where he could of got plowed by a d-man for being so close to the goalie (not probably, but possible) and scored an ugly gritty goal. We've got enough guys taking pot shots from 10-20 feet out, this kid could give us a few extra goals off of some stupid rebounds left out there by goalies like abby :P.

Guest RadioHab

I hope he really gets into crashing the net and obstructing the goalies vision etc. People call those goals ''ugly'' but I could not disagree more, it is a thing of beauty to see a player sacrifice his body in the most savagely defended area of the offensive zone and come out of it with a goal.

Guest Handlanger
I hope he really gets into crashing the net and obstructing the goalies vision etc. People call those goals ''ugly'' but I could not disagree more, it is a thing of beauty to see a player sacrifice his body in the most savagely defended area of the offensive zone and come out of it with a goal.

It is ugly... but it's the most effective way to score.

Back to topic: I'm not sold on Latendresse yet.... I can see him as a good player in the future, but will he be great?!? Maybe... till now I still doubt it.

Guest matt_the_fan

The guy's French-Canadian, and he plays wth Montreal. So you have to expect him to get more pressure from the French fans and get booed by the English. If he had a name like Latendresburg or Latendresky, he could of scored more goals, in my opinion, since he would of had less pressure, and would of probably not been booed for beeing French-Canadian, especially at the start of the season, where people say that he made the team ONLY because of the fact that he is French-Canadian.

Latendresse will be good someday...will it be today? That's ultimately up to him to decide. With the amount of depth on the team currently, he's going to have to fight and work even harder to hang on to a roster spot.

He put up repectable numbers for a big man in his first season. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect 20-25 goals from him this season.

Guest Miltie01
Latendresse will be good someday...will it be today? That's ultimately up to him to decide. With the amount of depth on the team currently, he's going to have to fight and work even harder to hang on to a roster spot.

He put up repectable numbers for a big man in his first season. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect 20-25 goals from him this season.

This is the perfect scenario for the kid to be in. Having to fight to keep a spot and improve is either going to make him, or reveal that he can't do it.

Bob and Guy are not expecting him to be good this season, but to get better in every one he plays. I think the kid has potential, but he will have to work very hard for any success he gets and will have some adversity to overcome. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that !!!

The guy's French-Canadian, and he plays wth Montreal. So you have to expect him to get more pressure from the French fans and get booed by the English. If he had a name like Latendresburg or Latendresky, he could of scored more goals, in my opinion, since he would of had less pressure, and would of probably not been booed for beeing French-Canadian, especially at the start of the season, where people say that he made the team ONLY because of the fact that he is French-Canadian.

Uh, when exactly has Latendresse been booed? Almost every time he touched the puck, the crowd would start chanting, "Gui! Gui! Gui!" Maybe they'll 'Brisebois' him down the line, but for now, Lats is the golden boy as far as the Bell Centre crowd is concerned. :)

Guest 1970 Habs

Latendresse is young and raw.

Though I like him, he should not play on the first line as he has not earned it.

He needs to learn develop more before he becomes a solid power forward.

This season I would like to see him play more with some defensive fwds where he can hone his physical and defensive skills.

Just my humble hockey opinion.

Guest overlords
Latendresse is young and raw.

Though I like him, he should not play on the first line as he has not earned it.

He needs to learn develop more before he becomes a solid power forward.

This season I would like to see him play more with some defensive fwds where he can hone his physical and defensive skills.

Just my humble hockey opinion.

I saw a few people suggest him on the third line with smolinski and lahti. IMO that would be a perfect way to continue to grow offensively while learning how to back check properly and defend his zone under the watchful eye of a vet like smolinski.

Guest 1970 Habs
I saw a few people suggest him on the third line with smolinski and lahti. IMO that would be a perfect way to continue to grow offensively while learning how to back check properly and defend his zone under the watchful eye of a vet like smolinski.

Sounds good to me, though I would not mind seeing a Lapierre-Smolinski-Latendresse line.

Guest Anetéchrist

No, if he had a name like Latendresburg he would be damn useful in Scrabble. Even better with Latendresky :P

Seriously, i also think pressure will eventually get to him, but the fact is that he was relieved of the initial pressure when he scored his first (not most pretty but we shouldn't be nitpicky with goals, especially in the coming year). Playing on the first line with Koivu and Ryder really unlocked something in his play. With experience, I think he will ride the fan pressure and produce even more. I feel he is different from Daniel Brière for example. Brière wasn't a coward, but he was coming from somewhere else while Latendresse started his career here. It has to count for something in the mental development of a player.

Guest HokusPokus#8

Actually I'd be fine with sending down Latendresse down to Hamilton. I really don't like the way he skates, it would be easier for him to work on it down there.

Then again, all the fans screaming for our next french-canadian superstar would also be screaming for my head.

Guest CanadianMike
Actually I'd be fine with sending down Latendresse down to Hamilton. I really don't like the way he skates, it would be easier for him to work on it down there.

Then again, all the fans screaming for our next french-canadian superstar would also be screaming for my head.

pretty funny stuff. I get that you are not a Lats fan. As much as I can't stand him off the ice or the gui gui gui stuff :angry: , he deserves to play in Montreal, not Hamilton! <_<

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan
pretty funny stuff. I get that you are not a Lats fan. As much as I can't stand him off the ice or the gui gui gui stuff :angry: , he deserves to play in Montreal, not Hamilton! <_<

I'd rather see somebody else in the line up than him,his off ice "i'm the world attitude" is turning people to hate him, all this talk about how tough he is and plays physical,yeah,ok,if only for such a big dude,he would actually show his physical side every time he's on the ice instead of when he feels like it!!

Guest CanadianMike
I'd rather see somebody else in the line up than him,his off ice "i'm the world attitude" is turning people to hate him, all this talk about how tough he is and plays physical,yeah,ok,if only for such a big dude,he would actually show his physical side every time he's on the ice instead of when he feels like it!!

don't forget how young he is. Give him a couple more seasons to see what he is like. A true powerforward or another gilbert dionne (at best). :rolleyes:

Guest matt_the_fan

What's annoying with Lats is that if you don't put him on the 3rd line, it's talent wasted.

However, not putting Lats on the third line could make it a defensive trio. ( Laps-Smoke-kostop/rookie.)

Guest HokusPokus#8

Actually I'm turning into a fan. At the start of last season I was questioning his call-up over Kostitsyn but as the season progressed, he sometimes impressed me. (Not when he was in his own zone though) He's got alot to learn and I can see him playing (ATLEAST) on our second line in the future.

True, he's still young and has plenty of time to learn. And I don't get where the "I'm the world" statements about him are coming from. He seems pretty down to earth when talking to the media. :huh:

He still needs to learn how to skate better though.

Guest mac & Cheese
Actually I'm turning into a fan. At the start of last season I was questioning his call-up over Kostitsyn but as the season progressed, he sometimes impressed me. (Not when he was in his own zone though) He's got alot to learn and I can see him playing (ATLEAST) on our second line in the future.

True, he's still young and has plenty of time to learn. And I don't get where the "I'm the world" statements about him are coming from. He seems pretty down to earth when talking to the media. :huh:

He still needs to learn how to skate better though.

You should keep in mind Brent Sutter with the Jr. worlds gold medal team two years ago in Vancouver, did not play all that much, in fact he barely got on the ice at one of the games i went to.

so I was surprised to see make the team last year "but as the season progressed, he sometimes impressed me. (Not when he was in his own zone though) " I thought he was a no-show in the last three games.

Archived