The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest Bobineau
Actually I'd be fine with sending down Latendresse down to Hamilton. I really don't like the way he skates, it would be easier for him to work on it down there.

Then again, all the fans screaming for our next french-canadian superstar would also be screaming for my head.

He scored 16 goals during his first NHL season... :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest d80jcrant
don't forget how young he is. Give him a couple more seasons to see what he is like. A true powerforward or another gilbert dionne (at best). :rolleyes:

LOL. My favorite number is 45 because of him...The game where he gets two goals against Hartford and Roy the shutout in a 2-0 playoff game win. LOL. the memories.

Regarding Gui....I will bet he betters his goals output and points output this year with the big club

I'd rather see somebody else in the line up than him,his off ice "i'm the world attitude" is turning people to hate him, all this talk about how tough he is and plays physical,yeah,ok,if only for such a big dude,he would actually show his physical side every time he's on the ice instead of when he feels like it!!

Do you know Guillaume or are you litterally just making stuff up?

Guest f30marco

i was actually pretty impressed with gui this year,i thought he might be " just another one" but he has been progressing well and i cant wait to see what he can do next year and so on.

i was actually pretty impressed with gui this year,i thought he might be " just another one" but he has been progressing well and i cant wait to see what he can do next year so on.

You couldn't ask for much more from a rookie. He had decent numbers, showed willingness to learn and had a great attitude throughout the entire year. I really liked how he dealt with the childish behaviour of Patrick Roy towards him and how he reacted to the alleged Kovy comments. Handled both like a pro.

I agree that he still has tons to learn and his skating is sub-par, but the attitude of some of the fans towards him is difficult to comprehend. To me it points to a weird jealousy or predjudice towards Francophones. One or the other. Because he certainly isn't guilty of having a bad attitude or anything near that. Comments like that serve no purpose and are malicious and destructive in nature, IMHO of course.

Guest f30marco
You couldn't ask for much more from a rookie. He had decent numbers, showed willingness to learn and had a great attitude throughout the entire year. I really liked how he dealt with the childish behaviour of Patrick Roy towards him and how he reacted to the alleged Kovy comments. Handled both like a pro.

I agree that he still has tons to learn and his skating is sub-par, but the attitude of some of the fans towards him is difficult to comprehend. To me it points to a weird jealousy or predjudice towards Francophones. One or the other. Because he certainly isn't guilty of having a bad attitude or anything near that. Comments like that serve no purpose and are malicious and destructive in nature, IMHO of course.

damn straight! what he said ^^^^^.

Guest hatethoseleafs

I for one was quite happy with Latendresse's season. I understand that some were upset that he was given a roster spot over one of our Hamilton prospects however,,,,,you have to remember that it was either play with the Habs or go back to Junior. The AHL was not an available option last year because of his age. I support managements decision that sending him back to Junior was not to the benifit of his development. IMO he will improve this year because of his NHL experience last year and look forward to seing him tear it up down the road. I've even replaced Souray with Giu on my wallpaper for now. :D

Guest Kronix

well as for the guy who asked if price would make 2.2 mill if he played with the bulldogs i dont believe he gets 2.2 unless he place in the nhl and all this talk about latendresse being an ***** well i live in drummondville where he played for the voltigeur and people around here say he let his head get big like he was hot stuff....

i find he was alright for a 19 year old in the nhl hes no crosby but he deffinatly has talent to be a great 2nd line forward so i would keep him on the big club this season

Guest habsfan7344
I for one was quite happy with Latendresse's season. I understand that some were upset that he was given a roster spot over one of our Hamilton prospects however,,,,,you have to remember that it was either play with the Habs or go back to Junior. The AHL was not an available option last year because of his age. I support managements decision that sending him back to Junior was not to the benifit of his development. IMO he will improve this year because of his NHL experience last year and look forward to seing him tear it up down the road. I've even replaced Souray with Giu on my wallpaper for now. :D

lol yeah Latendresse is awsome my 2nd favorite player he really did surprised me this year also such a awsome hockey player his furure looks bright on the habs!!... and he is relly good lookin :D:lol: lol!!! but all the young guns surprised me this year too like higgins Komisarek Plekanec they all did awsome!!!!!

Guest HokusPokus#8

I dunno I'm still not 110% sold on him yet...

IT"S THE FREAKIN SKATING!

I just can't see him keeping up with our first or second liners with his footspeed. We seem to be building a pretty agile and elusive team, one that will be able to skate around opponents D and make them look foolish. I don't know, I just always see The Tenderness lagging behind Kostitsyn or Plekanec on a rush up the ice.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Latendresse... That doesn't sound like too bad of a line I can't remember Latendresse ever playing with Plex. :blink:

Guest old-time Habs fan
I dunno I'm still not 110% sold on him yet...

IT"S THE FREAKIN SKATING!

I just can't see him keeping up with our first or second liners with his footspeed. We seem to be building a pretty agile and elusive team, one that will be able to skate around opponents D and make them look foolish. I don't know, I just always see The Tenderness lagging behind Kostitsyn or Plekanec on a rush up the ice.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Latendresse... That doesn't sound like too bad of a line I can't remember Latendresse ever playing with Plex. :blink:

While skating he must sure address,

I've been impressed by Latendresse;

I think the numbers will increase,

and, thus. the negatives, might cease!

I still don't think he should have made the team last year, but I'm not sure what sending him to Hamilton would accomplish now that he's had a full year in the big leagues. Unless Lats has a terrible camp, I can't see him being sent down. It would be a step backward in his development and the kid did score 16 goals for us this past year!

Agreed on bringing him up, but as aforementioned I question his attitude and desire. If he rounds out his game, gets skating, and hitting, he will be a force to be reckoned. I was dissapointed in what I saw from him after his great exhibition play, not to say I expected even close to the same amount of points, but there seemed to be a lack of integrity.

Guest leafsreallysuck
Agreed on bringing him up, but as aforementioned I question his attitude and desire. If he rounds out his game, gets skating, and hitting, he will be a force to be reckoned. I was dissapointed in what I saw from him after his great exhibition play, not to say I expected even close to the same amount of points, but there seemed to be a lack of integrity.

I disagree

In camp all he had to do was bang, crash and score to make an impression. During the regular season he had to learn the game. Maybe he was overcautious at times, maybe he got tired and don't forget the pressure on that kid (19 years old at the time). I, like Jigger, think he handled imself pretty good. He obviously imho was in learning mode and he listened and also had good composure with the media. I don't know where this attitude thing got started here :huh: I haven't seen anything that shows any of what some of the members here are speaking of.

I for one thought he handled himself really good in a pressure cooker like Montréal. Last summer he did take power skating lessons, I see no reason why he hasn't done the same this summer. Anyone has news on that? We don't know yet so let's cut the kid some slack. By the way I think his starts and acceleration are the problem and those can be corrected easily with some technique, time and practice. I think we have a gem in the rough now, let's give ourselves some time to polish his play before we make a judgement on him, he clearly has a lot of tools to work with, give him time to learn how to use them.

For a guy that got rushed out of junior and touted to have enough skill to go straight to the NHL..... I expected more from him

I think he played well for his first season. Remember Joe Thornton only scored 7 points in 55 games his rookie season and was considered by some pundits to be a bust. We all know how that played out.

Now I am in no way saying that Latendresse is our Joe Thornton. However, Latendresse scored 29 points including 16 goals. That's 4 away from 20 goals in his rookie season. Big guys develop at a slower pace than average sized guys. For him to get 29 points in his rookie season is to a certain degree, a success. I think he'll be a 20-25 goal scorer for next season.

I still don't think he should have made the team last year, but I'm not sure what sending him to Hamilton would accomplish now that he's had a full year in the big leagues. Unless Lats has a terrible camp, I can't see him being sent down. It would be a step backward in his development and the kid did score 16 goals for us this past year!

only 16? must have been that attitude of his blocking his vision. He should have had 25. :P I honestly shouldnt be surprised with it being the off season and all but only one full season under his belt and some fans are already trying to make a mountain out of a mole hole.

I agree weeping unless he has a really bad camp he will not be sent down. I agree with Jigger he has shown class when Roy put him down and if his skating is the only thing that fans can find wrong with him he can always work on that , maybe take more then one power session like Ribeiro did :rolleyes:

Guest jennifer_rocket

Latendresse deserves to be in the NHL. Lets also not forget Montreal is desperate for power-frowards, and perhaps that is part of the reason he's being pushed along, in regards to development. Yeah, it might've been nice to let him play in the AHL for awhile, but it's too late now, me thinks. It's important to foster last season's growth with ample options this year. If he's going to pan out, the team needs to help. He shouldn't be given consistent 1st-2nd line duties, but lining him up alongside Koivu and Plekanec on the PP, or when someone is injured/under-performing might be a good idea. Provide him with the opportunities to succeed, but don't hand them to him with a little bow wrapped around it. He needs to be motivated into hitting hard, fore-checking, and crashing. Hopefully we'll see 20-25 goals out of him this year.

Guest Mustangpoirier4
Latendresse deserves to be in the NHL. Lets also not forget Montreal is desperate for power-frowards, and perhaps that is part of the reason he's being pushed along, in regards to development. Yeah, it might've been nice to let him play in the AHL for awhile, but it's too late now, me thinks. It's important to foster last season's growth with ample options this year. If he's going to pan out, the team needs to help. He shouldn't be given consistent 1st-2nd line duties, but lining him up alongside Koivu and Plekanec on the PP, or when someone is injured/under-performing might be a good idea. Provide him with the opportunities to succeed, but don't hand them to him with a little bow wrapped around it. He needs to be motivated into hitting hard, fore-checking, and crashing. Hopefully we'll see 20-25 goals out of him this year.

thats right but he should be a 3rd 2nd liner this year with in front of net power play

Guest habsaretogood

Latendresse shouldnt be in the nhl he cant pass or score hes like sergei samsanov a puck hog that we dont need cuz theres no I in team if anywhere he plays should be 4th line cuz all he can do is hit

Guest s.k 11
Latendresse shouldnt be in the nhl he cant pass or score hes like sergei samsanov a puck hog that we dont need cuz theres no I in team if anywhere he plays should be 4th line cuz all he can do is hit

I think a rookie that scores 16 goals is not a 4th liner.

Guest Bobineau

:rolleyes: The Leafs boards is this way --->

Archived