The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest jennifer_rocket
Latendresse shouldnt be in the nhl he cant pass or score hes like sergei samsanov a puck hog that we dont need cuz theres no I in team if anywhere he plays should be 4th line cuz all he can do is hit

I think, perhaps, your expectations of the poor kid are a little high.

I think a rookie that scores 16 goals is not a 4th liner.

Yep, 16 goals for a rookie. Not too bad. Hopefully he nets around 20 this year, playing between the 2nd line and 4th line. He deserves the PP time if playing well, but he'll have to earn his even strength time, in my opinion.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CanadianMike
Latendresse shouldnt be in the nhl he cant pass or score hes like sergei samsanov a puck hog that we dont need cuz theres no I in team if anywhere he plays should be 4th line cuz all he can do is hit

so I guess we can't count on you on buying a latendresse jersey anytime soon. :lol:

I refuse to write a kid off after one year in which he did quite well considering the insane fan and media expectations. Whether or not Lats deserved to make the team or play on the top line is one thing. But the fact remains that he did what was asked of him and managed to score 16 goals in his rookie season. Good on him. Why are we so quick to rip our talent to pieces? Can't we give this kid a chance to grow and progress at the NHL level?

Guest Habsfan_11

Latendresse will be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL one day. I'm confident in that. 20 goals next year though.

Lats has size, hitting ability, good hands, good passing skills, and a wicked shot. If he could skate a little faster, I think he'd be the guy we want playing 1st line LW.

Guest RedLightRacicot
I refuse to write a kid off after one year in which he did quite well considering the insane fan and media expectations. Whether or not Lats deserved to make the team or play on the top line is one thing. But the fact remains that he did what was asked of him and managed to score 16 goals in his rookie season. Good on him. Why are we so quick to rip our talent to pieces? Can't we give this kid a chance to grow and progress at the NHL level?

Well said!

You know, I watched A LOT of habs hockey this year and I can honestly tell you the only remote resemblance I saw between Latendresse and Samsonov were point totals...THAT's IT. The major difference between Samsonov and Latendresse is that one scored 29 points in his rookie season and the other scored 26 points in his 10th(!) season and was benched infinitely and then, traded.

If you watch the videos (on the Hab site) of the goals Gui scored last season you'll see that he never touched the puck until he was in a place to put it in the net. He was for most of his goals, in the right place at the right time. There were very few times where Latendresse even carried the puck into the zone last season. He had hockey sense enough however to head toward the net when the puck was carried into the zone.

That kinda totally blows your puck hog theory out of the water. As for passing I seem to remember at least 13 times being a rather good passer ;)

I think this kid is only going to get better and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays his way on to a scoring line by season's end. The Habs may finally have that elusive power-forward they've so desperately needed.

Guest 1970 Habs
I think this kid is only going to get better and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays his way on to a scoring line by season's end. The Habs may finally have that elusive power-forward they've so desperately needed.

Before he fits the bill he needs to develop his defensive game and play without the puck. Without it he will just become another Ryder (more of a sniper).

Guest Bobineau
Before he fits the bill he needs to develop his defensive game and play without the puck. Without it he will just become another Ryder (more of a sniper).

...and that's a bad thing?

Guest "Rocket"

what an ..... lol i just remember the forum rules before completing my sentence, anyway obviously you don't own a TV, your probably catching the game via Radio from the moon or something like that, last year Latendresse made one of the best pass i've seen all season to Kovalev, and the kid is far from being a 4th liner, he's more a 2nd line type of guy, let us know when you comeback from the moon.

Guest Habsfan_11
what an ..... lol i just remember the forum rules before completing my sentence, anyway obviously you don't own a TV, your probably catching the game via Radio from the moon or something like that, last year Latendresse made one of the best pass i've seen all season to Kovalev, and the kid is far from being a 4th liner, he's more a 2nd line type of guy, let us know when you comeback from the moon.

Lol @ the moon!!!

Anyways, yeah, Latendresse did make a really nice play with Kovalev at some point in the year. It was a beauty. He also fed Ryder with a nice pass at some point in the season, and the puck sure did end up in the net.

Guest leafsreallysuck

Damn, and we've got way to many of those :P

He needs to learn some basic skating techniques which shouldn't be too hard, then to play without the puck. That's it imho for now, why does every player need to be a two way player right from the start? And I personally think he's got a lot more skills than Ryder and I'm a Ryder fan.

And by play without the puck I don't mean defense, I mean staying open and being responsible not turning him into a Muller/Carbo type player.

Im sure he has been training his buns off in the offseason, he now knows what he has to put up with to play in the nhl for a entire season, he will be a year older, and stronger,

Lets hope he has another great season next year

Guest 1970 Habs
Damn, and we've got way to many of those :P

He needs to learn some basic skating techniques which shouldn't be too hard, then to play without the puck. That's it imho for now, why does every player need to be a two way player right from the start? And I personally think he's got a lot more skills than Ryder and I'm a Ryder fan.

And by play without the puck I don't mean defense, I mean staying open and being responsible not turning him into a Muller/Carbo type player.

I am not saying he needs to be a two way player from the start. He needs to further develop his skills.

I am trying to say that if he is going to be a True Power Forward he needs to learn to :

1) be more physical;

2) cycle the puck down low with his linemates in the Offensive zone; and

3) be defensively responsible.

I believe he could develop these aspects of his game (this year) if he played with a player like Smolinski.

Guest leafsreallysuck
I am not saying he needs to be a two way player from the start. He needs to further develop his skills.

I am trying to say that if he is going to be a True Power Forward he needs to learn to :

1) be more physical;

2) cycle the puck down low with his linemates in the Offensive zone; and

3) be defensively responsible.

I believe he could develop these aspects of his game (this year) if he played with a player like Smolinski.

I was just yanking your chain :D

I agree with you and I like the idea of a Lats, Smolinsky, Lahti line. If any of what we've heard from Lahti is true of course.

C'mon training camp start already!

first things first. i like pie.

2nd thing Latendresse is going to gain experience and mental sstrength during his nhl seasons and hes going to break out and get 30-40 goals .

Archived