The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

I expect an improvement on his numbers from last year, mostly because now that his feet are wet and he knows what its all about out there, and he won't go pointless in his first 13 games.

last season I thought in the first few games, and at different times Gui looked like those teens I see at their first job. Generally they are looking around trying to figure out what exactly he/she has to do. Gui knows how to play Hockey but making the jump to the NHL his role is different then what it probably was in jr. The time on the top line helped him out alot. Even when he was sent back to the 4th line he took the bull by the horns more so then he did at the start of the season.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HabsfanfromtheROCK

I didnt like lats at all last year. He cant pass, cant play d, AND IS A PUCK HOG... I did not enjoy watching him.... id pick ryder over lats any day

I didnt like lats at all last year. He cant pass, cant play d, AND IS A PUCK HOG... I did not enjoy watching him.... id pick ryder over lats any day

Come on, it was his first season, he is still very young and he still has lots to learn, give him some time.

Alittle harsh there, Lats was pretty well lost in the first quarter of the season, but his game became much more complete as the season wore on, he became a key young player for us down the stretch, and still managed 16 goals from mostly the 4th line despite an extremely slow start.

I give him alot of credit, I didnt even think he should have made the team over Kostitsyn at the start of the year, but he proved to me that he had his spot, and i congratulate him on that.

Guest habs_fan1160

I like Lats and have nothing against this guy at all.

But I hear a lot "he's only 20" and I agree, he's young and he has so much to learn and so much to build on with his NHL career, but how old is Sidney Crosby? Around the same age as Lat's.

Now I'm not comparing them, because that would be stupid. They're not even close to the same type of player at all.

But why is there so much talk about "he's only 20" when in reality age doesn't really matter?

The fact is, he didn't have as great of a season as people assumed. Now, that's not Lat's fault that people assumed he was going to be "superb" but, he did have a rough season.

The first half he looked totally lost, but he did regain that, and build on a decent second half to the season.

Could I say for certain or not that he'd be good in the future? Nope. Because really, what we saw of Lat's last year may be all he has to offer to the team.

But I hear a lot "he's only 20" and I agree, he's young and he has so much to learn and so much to build on with his NHL career, but how old is Sidney Crosby? Around the same age as Lat's.

Now I'm not comparing them, because that would be stupid. They're not even close to the same type of player at all.

But why is there so much talk about "he's only 20" when in reality age doesn't really matter?

The fact is, he didn't have as great of a season as people assumed. Now, that's not Lat's fault that people assumed he was going to be "superb" but, he did have a rough season.

The first half he looked totally lost, but he did regain that, and build on a decent second half to the season.

Could I say for certain or not that he'd be good in the future? Nope. Because really, what we saw of Lat's last year may be all he has to offer to the team.

He actually had a better season than I thought he would. And, age does matter....Crosby will be better at 25...so will Lats.

Guest Miltie01

Boy, Lats had a rough season because it wasn't Crosby-like in nature ?

Crosby is an exception, Lats is more of the average. Most first year players have growing pains and seem a little lost.

For a kid who many said didn't even deserve a spot in the line up he had a darn good first year, especially considering the team he played on.

Lats has a way to go, and with his hard work, and his coaches guidance, he will get there.

Sorry, but age does matter. How many players make the NHL at 19? How many of them are impact players immediately? The guy was still of junior age and it has to be taken into consideration when setting expectations. I was one who wanted to see him sent down last year but even I have to admit that he has exceeded the expectations that I had placed on him. He's coming along very well in his development and once he improves on his foot speed and confidence, he will be the powerforward that we've been looking for. He did show that he can put the puck in the net, that's for sure, finishing a couple of goals away from veteran Kovalev.

Only Jordan Stall (PIT), Phil Kessel (BOS), Anze Kopitar (LA), Sidney Crosby (PIT) and Petr Kalus (BOS, 9 games) were younger than Latendresse last season. That's a pretty exceptional group. He had more goals and as many points as Kessel. Not only did he lead the rookies in hits, he finished 29th in the entire NHL in that category! Let's be patient with the kid, as that's what he is...

Joe thornton had 8 points in his rookie season, Lecavalier was already being tagged a flop 2 years into his NHL career. 98% of players in the league start to really produce to there potential around 23 - 26 years old. What I saw from Lats was great for a 19 year old who isn't tagged with the phenom mark, things can only get better, he can only learn and improve.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Boy, Lats had a rough season because it wasn't Crosby-like in nature ?

Crosby is an exception, Lats is more of the average. Most first year players have growing pains and seem a little lost.

Not only that, but most first year players aren't 19 years old, playing for the most historicly successful hockey team in the NHL, in your home province as one of the few french Canadians infront of 20,000 screaming fans. I think most 19 year olds would be in awe most of the year.

Look out for Lats this year, he is one of the only twenty year olds in the league who have performed under this pressure for a season. I expect 20+ goals, 15+ assists, 120+ hits and 130+ PIM from him this year.

Guest d80jcrant

What line will we see Gui on this year. I hope he starts out strong, The last two training camps he really tore it up if I remember right. Hopefully he does the same thing this year and it carrys over to the season

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
What line will we see Gui on this year. I hope he starts out strong, The last two training camps he really tore it up if I remember right. Hopefully he does the same thing this year and it carrys over to the season

I'd like to see him play on the third line with Smoke and Ryder.

LW: Gui Latendresse

C: Bryan Smolinski

RW: Michael Ryder

LW: Gui Latendresse

C: Bryan Smolinski

RW: Michael Ryder

You really cannot play Ryder on the 3rd line. But Lats needs some skill to be able to develop his, playing with Smolinski is a great way for him to work on his defensive abilities.

Latendresse is only going to get better. The comparisons to Crosby are unfair. Sidney Crosby is probably going to be the greatest player of his generation when all's said and done. He is the exception, not the rule, in terms of measuring progress in young forwards.

I see Latendresse becoming an effective power forward who averages between 55-65 points and 25-35 goals per year. And I am perfectly okay with that. He's not Lafleur, he's not our hockey saviour, and it's not fair to expect him to live up to that kind of hype. Let him be who he is.

you are comparing them.lats was a pleasant surprise last year.He was our best hitting forward.he adapted to several different line combos and roles(kovy didn't),he looks like a future power forward the sky is the limit for his goal scoring.not expecting 40-50 goals in future,but it wouldn't surprise me.age and experience,or lack of is huge..jr hockey to nhl

Guest habs_fan1160

Apparently some people missed "Now I'm not comparing them, because that would be stupid. They're not even close to the same type of player at all," in my post.

I wasn't comparing their play, I was comparing their age.

Apparently some people missed "Now I'm not comparing them, because that would be stupid. They're not even close to the same type of player at all," in my post.

No disrespect intended, but you were using their age as the basis for a tacit comparison about what we should expect from them performance-wise. Why talk about what Sidney Crosby did at age 19 in the Latendresse thread otherwise? I'm a bit confused about your argument now. Then again, that could be due to a lack of coffee. :)

ha ha!!! if you ever place 2 names on one post you will be crucified!! Amen :lol:

Guest habs_fan1160
No disrespect intended, but you were using their age as the basis for a tacit comparison about what we should expect from them performance-wise. Why talk about what Sidney Crosby did at age 19 in the Latendresse thread otherwise? I'm a bit confused about your argument now. Then again, that could be due to a lack of coffee. :)

It was an age comparison based on the fact that all we hear about Lats is "he's young" etc., etc., but Crosby is young and so are other players in the NHL and you don't hear the age as an excuse as much as you do for Lats.

It was an age comparison based on the fact that all we hear about Lats is "he's young" etc., etc., but Crosby is young and so are other players in the NHL and you don't hear the age as an excuse as much as you do for Lats.

You can't bring the age issue without bringing the skills level if you bring in Crosby while talking about Latendresse.

Guest habs_fan1160
You can't bring the age issue without bringing the skills level if you bring in Crosby while talking about Latendresse.

It really had nothing to do with skill level. Everyone on the planet knows Lat's isn't even close to Crosby in skill, nor will he ever be.

Archived