The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

I'm starting to get a little worried about Latendresse. Not really worried, but mildly concerned, I guess. He simply hasn't impressed me at all this training camp. He isn't skating well, isn't getting open, and doesn't seem interested in giving a full effort. Could he be hurt? This is not the way he should be starting the season when there are so many young players fighting for roster spots.

I hope he realizes that he can be sent to Hamilton now...

Other than his dirty hit he hasn't done anything at all.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope he realizes that he can be sent to Hamilton now...

Other than his dirty hit he hasn't done anything at all.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that hit either. Although in his defense, the other player took a quick peek as he was skating to the boards and still chose to keep his back to Lats, so it wasn't exactly a blindside hit.

I just think that Lats should be showing more jump and spark for a second-year player, not taking things for granted and coasting because he's already played one season in the bigs. I mean, it's not like he's a veteran (e.g. Koivu, Kovalev) who has locked down his roster spot and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone in meaningless preseason action. There are still question marks when it comes to Latendresse. Can he improve his skating? Can he build on his rookie season? Will he improve his play without the puck? Can he start using his linemates more effectively? To my mind, he hasn't yet answered any of these questions, so it's no time to be resting on his laurels.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for MTL to expect 20-25 goals from him this season...40-45 points...maybe 50 points.

It all depends on if he gets time on the top 2 lines or not!

I was not impressed. A dirty hit is not a sign of being tough! Au contraire mon frere!

I don't care for it either...hopefully it doesn't turn into a regular part of his game.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see why there is so much talk about "the hit" itself.

Whitney knew he was there, he made contact with him well before the boards and I personally think Whitney embellished it a bit. It was a hit from behind, but it was far from a blatant attempt to injure.

Regardless, I think what concerns me about "the play" is that Latendresse came out seeking revenge after the Orpik hit, but he came out after the wrong guy! If you want to take matters into your own hands, risk getting edjected etc...at least pick the right guy!

I thought the play on his part was selfish, not thought out, not team-oriented. He came out fired up to make a bit hit or something and didn't consider what that would mean for his team at the time. Dirty? maybe, but that's not the point. What it showed is that this is still a kid and he has to learn to fight his personal battles away from the limelight and to not involve the entire team.

I don't care for it either...hopefully it doesn't turn into a regular part of his game.

I don't think it will turn out to be an habit based on how he played last year. We'll chuck that one to heat of the moment or something and move on.

Cheers!

He had a dirty hit last pre season aswell, didnt he end someones carereer?

All in all, this is a kid, hes leaned up, Hes doing what is asked of him,

How old is he now 19?

Hes very very young, by 21-22 you will see someone who really knows what hes doing out there

He had a dirty hit last pre season aswell, didnt he end someones carereer?

Yes, I believe it was a Tampa player. Can't remember who, though.

All in all, this is a kid, hes leaned up, Hes doing what is asked of him,

Yes, he is a kid.

Yes, he has leaned up.

But at this point in time, I would argue, no, he isn't doing what is asked of him, which is to work hard and show the coaches just why he deserves to be on the team this year.

How old is he now 19?

Hes very very young, by 21-22 you will see someone who really knows what hes doing out there

He is very young, you're absolutely correct, and that's precisely why I find it slightly worrisome that he isn't making more of an effort in preseason games. He isn't old enough and hasn't proven enough to earn a free pass in preseason. The only thing of note that he's done so far is to deliver a questionable hit from behind on an innocent player in response to a clean hit he received because his head was down and he was trying to pull some sort of junior move in the offensive zone instead of sticking to the fundamentals.

There is plenty of preseason left, and I think he'll straighten himself out, but I must say that thus far Latendresse hasn't impressed me at all.

I dont think hes to worried about a roster spot,

I think 90% chance hes on the team this year, i agree he could do more in the preseason, but then again we've lost 2/3 games in the pre so alot of people could have done more,

Not saying i even like this kid, i think he could become a decent player in the league, he will just have to continue to work his butt off,

He is in the right direction though

Maybe it's just me but I don't see why there is so much talk about "the hit" itself.

Whitney knew he was there, he made contact with him well before the boards and I personally think Whitney embellished it a bit. It was a hit from behind, but it was far from a blatant attempt to injure.

Regardless, I think what concerns me about "the play" is that Latendresse came out seeking revenge after the Orpik hit, but he came out after the wrong guy! If you want to take matters into your own hands, risk getting edjected etc...at least pick the right guy!

I thought the play on his part was selfish, not thought out, not team-oriented. He came out fired up to make a bit hit or something and didn't consider what that would mean for his team at the time. Dirty? maybe, but that's not the point. What it showed is that this is still a kid and he has to learn to fight his personal battles away from the limelight and to not involve the entire team.

What concerns me about that hit is the fact that it was almost a carbon copy of the hit he threw on Rob DiMaio against Tampa Bay a year ago, ending his career. Eventually, the league will catch up and he'll either be made an example with suspensions and fines, or someone will take it upon themselves to get him back... and Latendresse does have a history of concussions.

It was a dirty hit no doubt, but you have to understand, Lats can take care of himself, he retaliated, it was dirty and wrong, but he still punished someone for hitting him, and at the end of the day, this will stick in other players minds. So ask yourself, if Lats is open and free for a huge hit, do you think twice about it because of the possible consequences later when he comes back for revenge, or do you just go through with it and hope you put him out for awhile?

As dirty as it was, it also leaves a seed of doubt and intimidation in anyone else who will try the same, Lats proved he will avenge himself during a game. What he did was not the proper way to do it, but that might even intimidate someone more.

What goes arround comes arround, and by the unwritten rules among the players, at some point he will be held accountable for his actions. I hope Lats realizes that he will be better off working on his overal development, not just becoming a physical minded player, who throws big hits here and there, without the skills to produce. Ofcourse he is still very young, and he has still lots to learn, but now its the time to do just that.

Again, what concerns me is that this hit is the only thing he's done in preseason that's been noteworthy. Other than that, he's been invisible.

It's pre-season.The only thing that's important is for fringe players and the last couple of roster spots.I don't want our best or older players going all out or getting injured for meaningless games.Just play a few to get in game shape,it's a long season

Does anyone think Lats could find himself in Hamilton this year at some point... maybe even to start the season?

"Find Himself" is he lost? Let's relax. it''s only preseason games. If he faulters during the season than we send him down (if he does not need to clear waver)

Archived