The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

I dont see how they can send him back to junior. If they do then they just totally wasted 1 year of his 3 year entry level contract. It just makes no sense bc they could have just sent him back to begin with and not have to waste a year. If they do send him back then its a HORRIBLE organizational decision. Not bc I think this kid is gonna dominate this year, but strictly bc of the contract. Do I think he belongs on the team this year? No I do not. He is gonna just get garbage playin time and play with checkers and grinders. Look at Higgins last year. They wasted him on the 4th line for half the season. The problem here is Gui has no where to move up on the lines.

If they send him back to junior, we stop paying him and he doesn't lose a year of contract or eligibility. We had to sign him before June anyway in order to keep him from re-entering the draft.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habinto

Gui is not going back to Junior. He will continue to evolve on the 4th line like Lecavalier did. Until Gui is comfortable with the speed of the NHl and he can adjust to this new world he will stay on the 4th line playing 8 minutes.

Gui was not going to evolve much in the Junior so he may as well evolve in the NHL.

One day he will be a good (maybe great - who knows.) player. I'm not worried about him, and I am controlling my expectation.

Go Habs Go

Guest Nutrasweetdaddy
And leave the team that he has cheered for and dreamed of playing for ever since he started playing minor hockey?.. i think he would find it within himself to wait a year and respect the descision of habs greats carbo and gainey..

I've been a Canadiens fan, and have dreamed of playing for them longer than Gui. Following that logic, I should have gotten the spot :D

If they send him back to junior, we stop paying him and he doesn't lose a year of contract or eligibility. We had to sign him before June anyway in order to keep him from re-entering the draft.

Ahhh thank u for the update. I was given bad information HaHa. I personally dont think playin junior hockey will do anything for him, but does that mean if hes sent to Hamilton his contract is still in effect? If thats the case then he wont be sent there but I just dont see how him playin in junior does anything for him

Gui is not going back to Junior.  He will continue to evolve on the 4th line like Lecavalier did.  Until Gui is comfortable with the speed of the NHl and he can adjust to this new world he will stay on the 4th line playing 8 minutes.  

Gui was not going to evolve much in the Junior so he may as well evolve in the NHL.  

One day he will be a good (maybe great - who knows.) player.  I'm not worried about him, and I am controlling my expectation.

Go Habs Go

Excellent post, I agree. On line 4 he can work on his speed and get used to the new game, evolving and growing stronger, till he's ready for a big spot.

Ahhh thank u for the update. I was given bad information HaHa. I personally dont think playin junior hockey will do anything for him, but does that mean if hes sent to Hamilton his contract is still in effect? If thats the case then he wont be sent there but I just dont see how him playin in junior does anything for him

As has been established many times before, he's not eligable to be sent to Hamilton. He's not 20 years old.

Guest habinto
Actually did anyone else notice Gui was playing with Koivu and Higgins for a little while in the last game?

I dunno if he got caught during a line change, but I remember seeing that.

I was at the game and noticed the same thing. Like you, I do not know what to make of it.

Guest Nutrasweetdaddy
As has been established many times before, he's not eligable to be sent to Hamilton. He's not 20 years old.

.....and he won't turn 20 until the end of the season. April I think.

Guest Miltie01

Gui can learn more just being on the big club. Junior cannot help him.

He will play on the fourth as there isn't the pressure to score 5000 goals in his rookie season and he will learn the finer points of the game. It is also great that he is on am line with Mr. Begin. Hopefully he can teach hi a bit about grit and desire !!!! As he get's better or with injuries he will get time on another line or on the PP. I think the team is managing him well. Remember Lafluer saw limited ice time during his first two seasons as a Hab, that mostly on the power play. If Gui could do half as well , this is a good way to go !!!

Guest habinto
Didn't Gainey or Carbo state at the beginning of the season; If Latendresse makes the Canadiens, he'll be hear all season?

Yes! Carbo stated that if Lats makes the team it would be for the season.

Guest Tony Montana

I personaly think that is gonna haunt Carbo cuz this man has to be sent down to AHL. Hes reminds me of Dagenais but abit more maneuverable and coudl make a hit if he wants to. I knew it he was all for show. I was going for Koztisen hole time and wat a differece he wuold be on 4th line with begin,murry doing hard work and koztisen snipering the puck home. 3/4 of Montreal canadian fans have been fooled by Latz. I line to remmber for the media, just cuz he is french does not mean he is good anough to make it on the team.

This might be a lil harsh to Lats fans and i know he is a rookie but i know alot of rookies in this nhl and they did or are doing a hell of alot better job then he is. I dont even see him trying out there. I believe he has a bigger ego then kovalev and kovalev has a reason to have a ego, latz does not!

Sorry for the hating but i feel bad for Andrei Kostizen he should be here and montreal has ruined his confidence.

Guest overlords
I personaly think that is gonna haunt Carbo cuz this man has to be sent down to AHL. Hes reminds me of Dagenais but abit more maneuverable and coudl make a hit if he wants to. I knew it he was  all for show. I was going for Koztisen hole time and wat a differece he wuold be on 4th line with begin,murry doing hard work and koztisen snipering the puck home. 3/4 of Montreal canadian fans have been fooled by Latz. I line to remmber for the media, just cuz he is french does not mean he is good anough to make it on the team.

This might be a lil harsh to Lats fans and i know he is a rookie but i know alot of rookies in this nhl and they did or are doing a hell of alot better job then he is. I dont even see him trying out there. I believe he has a bigger ego then kovalev and kovalev has a reason to have a ego, latz does not!

Sorry for the hating but i feel bad for Andrei Kostizen he should be here and montreal has ruined his confidence.

If latz "fooled" us with his amazing performance at training camp two years in a row, well.. then i guess we're all just fools. I was going for kosty the whole way through but lats deserved the chance way more.

"ruin his confidence" are you nuts? First you say lats is too cocky ( even though he was rejected last year after training camp) but kosty getting rejected will ruin his confidence. You, sir, are just out of line.

Guest Miltie01

One thing Gui could never do is Fool Bob Gainey.

He obviously feels it is time for him to get his chance.

I am sorry Andrei didn't get a chance but I don't hold it againsy Gui .

Both will be racking up points for us all too soon, hang in there !!!

Guest habsrule_10

I've been looking for him to step up in games, as has every other Habs fan. He looks tentative, I think the leap to the NHL is more of a challenge than everyone thought. I also saw him in the rookie camp, thought he still was not at NHL speed and he has shown so far that he is not quite ready. I said before the season that he needs some time in the AHL...as did Higgins, and Ryder, etc. There is no shame in that, except in eyes of fans who thought he was ready. He is destined to be an NHLer and should be given the time to develop. There are better players in Hamilton who could step into his role on the 4th line.

I noticed a couple of posts about Latendresse and the AHL... it's not going to happen this year. You have to be 20 to play in the AHL and Guillaume is 19. So for him, it's junior within his first 9 NHL games or it's the NHL all season for this year. :D

Guest Miltie01
I noticed a couple of posts about Latendresse and the AHL... it's not going to happen this year. You have to be 20 to play in the AHL and Guillaume is 19. So for him, it's junior within his first 9 NHL games or it's the NHL all season for this year. :D

They already said he is here for good. I can't see Carbo lying.

He still needs time to develop, and eventhough he had a okay pre season, I still have some doubts if its smart for both the organisation and Guillaume to lett him further develop in the NHL and not on a junior level. Imo one more year in the juniors wouldnt be bad for him, maybe its even better.

There not sending him back down, be realistic here

Guis on the 4th line, 0 pts in 3 games is expected

Begin and Murray and downey have no points in the same amount of games? why arent we sending them back to junior?

And youll all say, speed and technicalities, what better way to help a prospect develop those kinds of things with 4-5 different coaches helping him THOROUGHLy and extensivly and having him at the bell center gym, and practicing on the ice with the pros

Or as some previous posters desire, send him back to juniors and let a scout check up on him every month or two...

They already said he is here for good. I can't see Carbo lying.

I didn't say that he was being sent down to junior. I was informing those who were suggesting we'd send him to the AHL that it won't happen for the reasons I've mentioned in my previous post. :D

Guest Captain Koivu#11
If latz "fooled" us with his amazing performance at training camp two years in a row, well.. then i guess we're all just fools. I was going for kosty the whole way through but lats deserved the chance way more.

"ruin his confidence" are you nuts? First you say lats is too cocky ( even though he was rejected last year after training camp) but kosty getting rejected will ruin his confidence. You, sir, are just out of line.

I agree, Tony Montana is being a little out of line. And when I see Latendresse on the ice, I see him trying very hard... He hits, takes hits, hustles, battles in the corners and against the boards. He really just needs to start getting some points. Too bad he is still on the 4th line.

Archived