The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest lecavalierrocks

I hope he does well...I wont get his jersey because whenever I get a payers jersey...they either dont do well or they get traded... :D but anyways...lolll GO GUI GO!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's make something very clear... Latendresse did not make the team because he's French or because of the media. I give Carbonneau, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey way more credit than that.  

Amen to that. They took the player who won the spot and who better suited the team's needs. Period.

Kostistyn doesn't have a physical dimension to his game and Lats (Thunder) certainly does.

Sticking to Latendresse, if someone were to cheap shot him and with his concussion history, we need someone like Murray to step in there. I hope to see Gui paired with Johnson, Murray paired with Begin, Samsonov paired with Kovalev, and the Higgins/Koivu/Ryder line stay in tact as our #1. Then lets see who Ribiero, Bonk and Plekanec play well with. Its great to finally have a power forward, I think Gui will change the entire dynamic of the team.
If we would need a Murray to step in for him, wouldn't it be a good idea to put him on a line with Murray at center and Begin on left wing? This is where I can see him playing... however I do like your idea of seeing who plays best wih whoever at center... Ribs as #2 is not a lock IMO... too bad Lats wasn't a natural center... it would be just what the doctor ordered for the Habs... and something they still need IMO (Size, Talent and Speed up the middle)

bw6

Guest scarface

the s.o.g made it,lol. good 4 him. lets see what this greenhorn is gonna bring to the bench. i tell ya, i wouldn't want this kind of attention in this city. they'll eat him alive if he doesn't produce. he's a young kid and he will make his errors i guess. but if there's 1 thing i know from being a hab fan for so many yrs, at some point u gotta bring the goods. good luck guy and welcome to the big time.

go habs go

Guest crappyleafs

well i'm happy for the kid and i think starting out of the 4th line can only mean he can go up..he's here because he won a spot and i hope he helps out the team. With that said i already tired of the guillaume all the time...I hope the hype stops cause it's too much

Guest Come Back Patrick
Latendresse made the team because he proved once again that he belongs with his hockey abilities and hard work. Nothing else! 8-)  

Yes, but so did Kostitsyn;)

in no way did our management get influenced one bit by the fans and/or the media!

While everyone would like to think like that, it's just not reality. I couldn't open up a montreal newspaper/radio station/sports show without reading/hearing/seeing Latendresse's name. Management knew this is what the fans/media wanted so they gave Gui a 3 year contract.

I'm not ripping on Gui, I like him but I think it would have been fairer to Kostitsyn to at least wait until the end of tomorrow's game before making a decision when both Gui and Kostitsyn are at a neck-and-neck tie for the spot. Is that unreasonable?

Yes, but so did Kostitsyn;)

Obviously, management felt that Latendresse brought something to the table that maybe Kostitsyn couldn't bring. Can't argue with the way the kid played.

While everyone would like to think like that, it's just not reality. I couldn't open up a montreal newspaper/radio station/sports show without reading/hearing/seeing Latendresse's name. Management knew this is what the fans/media wanted so they gave Gui a 3 year contract.

If you read the other thread, you'll see that I was one of the most vocal against the media and propaganda. I'm not saying that Carbo, Muller, Jarvis and Gainey were not aware of the attention Latendresse was getting, they knew it as well as anyone as they had to answer those sharks' questions daily. What I'm saying is that they're all level headed hockeymen and I'm convinced that they've made a decision which was not based on a popularity contest, but on what the kid brings to the team.

Guest Eazy_Ryder

OOOOHHHHHH YYYYAAAAA Baby I knew it Our boy Gui has made the big team Man I just knew he would this year It's that size that got him in over Kosti. Well I wish gui good luck(not that he will need it all skill baby..LOL) And I can't wait for next season to see Lats and Kosti play together....Well I guess it's posible this year if (god forbid) injuries occur

Management knew this is what the fans/media wanted so they gave Gui a 3 year contract.

No. If that were the case he would've made it last year, as the media was EXACTLY the same last year.

So your argument does not hold water.

I don't know whats so hard to understand, Latendresse outplayed every other rookie at camp it's that simple!

Carboneau said the reason Lats made the team was he had good games, and ok games, but he had no BAD games. Kostitstyn can't say the same, and Grabovski got injured.

No. If that were the case he would've made it last year, as the media was EXACTLY the same last year.

So your argument does not hold water.

I don't know whats so hard to understand, Latendresse outplayed every other rookie at camp it's that simple!

Carboneau said the reason Lats made the team was he had good games, and ok games, but he had no BAD games. Kostitstyn can't say the same, and Grabovski got injured.

Yukoner's right, we have another scorer now with a physical edge, he brings a whole new dimension to our team. Look how he made the game turn around when he hit Dimaio, it threw the Lightning right off.

Guest Habsfan_11

Congratulations Gui!

Well what can i say, when i saw him on tv last saturday he showed that he can really bring something to the team. He has size, talent, aggression, and he works hard out there! He deserved it.

I feel kinda sorry for Kostitsyn though. I mean, I thought that he was gonna stay with the team after playing a handful of games last year. But as it has been mentioned already, he is likely the first forward to be called up if somebody (knocks on wood) gets injured. I have no idea what the 3rd and 4th offensive lines are going to be though. My best guess would be:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Latendresse-Plekanec-Johnson

Begin-Bonk-Murray/Perezhogin

I think it'll depend on how the players play with each other though, which will be determined with time. I remember seeing Gui and Bonk play really well together though.

As has been already mentioned, I hope that the Habs' administration didn't choose to sign Lats based on media pressure. Actually, I'm sure that Gainey didn't do that, as Gui has been impressive for two preseasons now, and Montreal needs a power forward!!!

Guest - Tonio -

Hats off to Latendresse....he earned the spot. I wouldn't say I feel sorry for Kostitsyn, he'll definitly be back and simply was outplayed. Kost has my respect, he played his heart out and gave an effort. Cheers to both players..

Archived