The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest BeginTheMan

I personally would like to welcome Tender to the big leagues. Although I worry about his past concussion problems, especially since he has the same playing style as Lindros (and we all know what happened to him and his brother), there's no doubt that he can make a serious contribution to the Habs.

That being said, I hope he stays away from Paris Hilton! :D

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cup crazy88
I personally would like to welcome Tender to the big leagues.  Although I worry about his past concussion problems, especially since he has the same playing style as Lindros (and we all know what happened to him and his brother), there's no doubt that he can make a serious contribution to the Habs.

That being said, I hope he stays away from Paris Hilton! :D

Yeah but thats different, the lindros' brains were too small for their skull (thats honestly why they had concussion problems). Too much room in there so when they get hit too hard the brain rattles around...

Guest Nutrasweetdaddy

Well, whether you agree with this move or not, look at it this way......at least this will silence all the people who were whining that we didn't sign JP Dumont. lol

This was the best move all things considered. Gui gets his 9 games to stick, and either way Andrei Kostitsyn won't have to clear waivers if and when we need him.

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Plekanec -Johnson - Perezhogin

Begin - Bonk - Downey/Murray (checking)

Perez is the only one that won't have to clear waivers, so he's probably the one leaving town for Hamilton. I know they said 3rd line, but peronally I'd like to see Gui on the checking line to add some scoring punch to it. But then again, I'm obviously not Carbo.

Good luck, and welcome aboard Gui!

This was the best move all things considered. Gui gets his 9 games to stick, and either way Andrei Kostitsyn won't have to clear waivers if and when we need him.  

Perez is the only one that won't have to clear waivers, so he's probably the one leaving town for Hamilton. I know they said 3rd line, but peronally I'd like to see Gui on the checking line to add some scoring punch to it. But then again, I'm obviously not Carbo.  

Firstly, Latendresse won't be around for a nine game trial period; he's in it for good.

Secondly, Perezhogin does have to clear waivers. You are right on Kostitsyn not having to though.

Alright, now on to my post :D

Glad to see Latendresse with the big club.

One thing I noticed about this thread is a lot of people talking about the option of playing Latendresse with Plekanec and Johnson.

And I'm sure that's a viable option, great at both ends of the ice.

But let's not forget how well Latendresse has performed alongside Radek Bonk in his preseason games (both this year and last). I was given the stats by another member a while ago and can't recall them, but the two were putting up big points together, and having two big, fast, hard-hitting guys on a line like that would wreak a lot of havok. And with a guy like Begin to back them up in the energy department, it could definitely be among the top third lines in the league (they're listed as a fourth, but I'm certain they'll continue to get more time than the "third" [the 'rookie'] line, as they did last season)

Anyways, regardless, I'm anxious to see what he'll do in the NHL. I wouldn't expect too much out of him in his first two or three starts, so lets not jump down his throat if he doesn't succeed instantly, but I think he has the heart and the desire to learn that's needed to be among the top rookies this year.

So good luck Gui, and go Habs go!

Guest leafsreallysuck
Firstly, Latendresse won't be around for a nine game trial period; he's in it for good.

Secondly, Perezhogin does have to clear waivers. You are right on Kostitsyn not having to though.

Alright, now on to my post :D

Glad to see Latendresse with the big club.

One thing I noticed about this thread is a lot of people talking about the option of playing Latendresse with Plekanec and Johnson.

And I'm sure that's a viable option, great at both ends of the ice.

But let's not forget how well Latendresse has performed alongside Radek Bonk in his preseason games (both this year and last). I was given the stats by another member a while ago and can't recall them, but the two were putting up big points together, and having two big, fast, hard-hitting guys on a line like that would wreak a lot of havok. And with a guy like Begin to back them up in the energy department, it could definitely be among the top third lines in the league (they're listed as a fourth, but I'm certain they'll continue to get more time than the "third" [the 'rookie'] line, as they did last season)

Anyways, regardless, I'm anxious to see what he'll do in the NHL. I wouldn't expect too much out of him in his first two or three starts, so lets not jump down his throat if he doesn't succeed instantly, but I think he has the heart and the desire to learn that's needed to be among the top rookies this year.

So good luck Gui, and go Habs go!

I agree with you but I'm curious to see what this line would do with Pleks instead of Bégin. I'm a big Bégin fan but I just love Pleks. Anyways I haven't felt this good about a Habs lineup in quite a few years. This season is going to be interesting.

Guest Nutrasweetdaddy

Last year Perez played his first NHL game as a 22 year old player. If I understand the rules correctly, the waiver clock started then, and I think he is exempt for 3 years from that point.

"The first season in which a player who is age 20 or older plays in one or more professional games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from waivers."

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/hockey_ops.html

Is this not correct?

Last year Perez played his first NHL game as a 22 year old player. If I understand the rules correctly, the waiver clock started then, and I think he is exempt for 3 years from that point.  

"The first season in which a player who is age 20 or older plays in one or more professional games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from waivers."

Is this not correct?

I'm not so sure anymore. I swear I saw an excellent explaination of the entire ordeal somewhere, though I can't remember where. I'll try to dig it up.

However, I'm not sure if his years in Hamilton count as "professional" years either. I'll look into these things and put them up in the Perezhogin thread so we don't stray too far from the topic in this one :D

Is this not correct?

Well according to all the media I'm hearing, perez definately has to clear waivers.

Is this not correct?

I actually think the waiver clock started when he played his first professional game, which would be when Perezhogin, at the age of 20, played for the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2003. (AHL is pro hockey). So that would be 3 years ago.

Let's make something very clear... Latendresse did not make the team because he's French or because of the media.

And you know this how JL?

I do respect the decision that was made by management.

I also hope Gui has a great great great many years MTL.

I don't think anyone has to worry about Kots or Perez either.

I think both will have great carreers.

Lats earned a chance to show what he can do in the NHL.

But, To think for one second that the media did not help in that decision I think is being a little nieve. It was easier last year to send him back because it was his first tryout. When he came back a second year and did well again they had to make the decision to keep him.

My only concern is what happens after say 15 games the kid decides to take some time off like at the world Juniors. What do you do with him. Cannot send him back to Junior. Cannot send him to the AHL. Your hands are tied??? I am not sure I would want to back myself in a corner like that. It's like painting a room and starting at your only exit.

And to people saying he would not learn anything in junior. Well I think he could of proofed himself at the world juniors this year. That would have been a good start.

I do wish him well and I hope he scores 50 this year and wins rookie of the year and has a chance to carry the cup. Oh. what a dream.

I think you should cut the french crap out. He played very well in preseason,did what they asked of him and he did it well. now hes under contract let him show his talent. GREAT JOB LATS best of luck from all HABS FANS.CONGRATS

I think you should cut the french crap out. He played very well in preseason,did what they asked of him and he did it well. now hes under contract let him show his talent. GREAT JOB LATS best of luck from all HABS FANS.CONGRATS

i agree 100% with you Dan he deserve the spot because of the way he played in pre-season games not because he is french canadien.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/previe...ctions_2006.php

Read. You'll see why I posted this here

That is total ***** what do you expect from a toronto net work.They just hate montreal thats all.How can say toronto will sneak in and montreal miss.Not to worry we will just have to show then this season who really is the better team GO HABS GO

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

This is going to be very interesting. I don't doubt his skills one bit. It's his maturity that I question. How will he react to getting benched? How will he react to a slump? Things like that are what I'm concerned about. I wonder which veteran will be assigned to him? I think that will be very important in his developement as a hockey player this year.

And you know this how JL?

Because if there's one thing Gainey has shown use since joining this organization as a GM is that he makes decisions based on what HE thinks is right. He's the one who stood in front of reporters and told the fans who booed Brisebois that they were (and I quote) "a bunch of guttless *******s"... He's the one who has been taking the hits everytime he's made a move that may not have been popular at the time like the signing of Bégin, trading of Hossa for Murray, trading Garon for Bonk and Huet, selecting Carey Price... He also stopped short in the Adrian Aucoin UFA derby as Chicago gave him $4 million/season, he did the same this year with Jason Arnott, both time not succumbing to the media and fans "pressure". And last but not least, he sent Latendresse down last year even if the pressure was just as bad on him to keep him in Montreal, as fans and media were just as hungry for the young French Canadian pheonom to stay. In Gainey, Carbonneau and Muller, we're talking about 3 great leaders on the ice during their playing days, 3 guys who wore the captain "C" with pride in our organization, 3 guys who have the respect of everyone around the NHL and in hockey in general due to great integrity. Yes, I'm 100% sure they've kept Latendresse because he made the team up and above other players.

Hope this answers the question. :D

Archived