The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same, I agree with JL. Gainey is very smart and almost always makes the right choice, I trust whatever decision he and Carbo made...if they think latendresse is the right guy for the open spot then he really must be and I cant doubt Latendresse actaully talent and I lvoe his physical play....

So welcome LAtendresse to the big club and good luck to him in his rookie season.....hopefully he can make a run for the calder...and maybe win it but not expectations!

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/previe...ctions_2006.php

Read. You'll see why I posted this here

That's horrible, once again Kypreos proves himself a total idiot, Briere winning the Ross? toronto getting in and suprising, Ottawa getting home ice and losing? Dallas winning the cup with Turco between the pipes?

Makes me sick.

And that's just one, the dolt Ian Mendes thinks Atlanta will win the cup, they probably won't even make the playoffs.

They're just about all idiots.

Because if there's one thing Gainey has shown use since joining this organization as a GM is that he makes decisions based on what HE thinks is right. He's the one who stood in front of reporters and told the fans who booed Brisebois that they were (and I quote) "a bunch of guttless *******s"... He's the one who has been taking the hits everytime he's made a move that may not have been popular at the time like the signing of Bégin, trading of Hossa for Murray, trading Garon for Bonk and Huet, selecting Carey Price... He also stopped short in the Adrian Aucoin UFA derby as Chicago gave him $4 million/season, he did the same this year with Jason Arnott, both time not succumbing to the media and fans "pressure". And last but not least, he sent Latendresse down last year even if the pressure was just as bad on him to keep him in Montreal, as fans and media were just as hungry for the young French Canadian pheonom to stay. In Gainey, Carbonneau and Muller, we're talking about 3 great leaders on the ice during their playing days, 3 guys who wore the captain "C" with pride in our organization, 3 guys who have the respect of everyone around the NHL and in hockey in general due to great integrity. Yes, I'm 100% sure they've kept Latendresse because he made the team up and above other players.

Hope this answers the question. :D

I agree, with Price, he also lost a great scout in our organization, but that's how confident he is in decisions he makes, now we have a top goalie prospect in Price, and he put up some pretty numbers in exhibition play.

Guest shanahan1024

First of all obviously hes gonna be on the 4th line with bonk and begin, seeing as how him and Bonk work well together. And finally im pretty nervous about this, becasue we dont know how Latendrsse is gona do playing with real NHL'ers. Big woop he did good in preseason its against other QMJHL players and the odd veteran whos just out there for a skate. Andrei showed us he can produce at the top level.

Well I hope for the Habs sake Gui produces, and helps to get us to the playoffs.

First of all obviously hes gonna be on the 4th line with bonk and begin, seeing as how him and Bonk work well together. And finally im pretty nervous about this, becasue we dont know how Latendrsse is gona do playing with real NHL'ers. Big woop he did good in preseason its against other QMJHL players and the odd veteran whos just out there for a skate. Andrei showed us he can produce at the top level.

Well I hope for the Habs sake Gui produces, and helps to get us to the playoffs.

No, he will get 3rd and powerplay time.

Congrats Gui, wish you all the best this season. Hopefully you can bring home the Calder.

I say he starts out playing with Bonk but eventually moves up on the 3rd line with Johnson and Pleks

In some respects you are right. Pre-season play is not regular season play. The games also are not for points in the standings but generally for showcassing talent, experimenting etc. Nothing compares to the reg. season because the points are for keeps.

With all the media attention he got in Mtl, you can bet that other teams will be "preparing his welcome" to the NHL. So expect him to be a favored target for a while. It'll be in the coaches plans.

However. He also has excellent teachers within the team. Excellent coach in Carbo I'm sure, other players with experience. Will he win the Clader? His got a guy by the name of Malkin to beat for that. They say he's like Ovechkin. If that is so, I don't think he stands a chance.

However the season is long and all kinds of things can happen. Should we expect him to be a Crosby or Ovechkin?

Absolutely not. I think of him more as a LeClair type. Do I have high expectations from him? No, not for this season anyway. He will help the team this year, even if it's by getting adversaries to keep a eye out for him on the ice. They won't be able to concentrate on puck handling as much if they have to worry about being "pasted" to the boards. And the bonus is.....he stands in front of the net. That might actually get others on the team to do the same once in a while.

I personally would like to welcome Tender to the big leagues.  Although I worry about his past concussion problems, especially since he has the same playing style as Lindros (and we all know what happened to him and his brother), there's no doubt that he can make a serious contribution to the Habs.

He said himself that the second one (the one at the Team Canada training camp) wasn't a concussion, he had only the same symptoms, it wasn't serious at all. We don't have to worry avout this.

He said himself that the second one (the one at the Team Canada training camp) wasn't a concussion, he had only the same symptoms, it wasn't serious at all. We don't have to worry avout this.

Not neccessarily, he may not want to be targeted.

Guest 60islove

i'm happy for GuiGui but i do think he could have used a season in hamilton..but then again that's just me...the jump from the Q to the NHL is huge and i hope he can handle that. you have to keep in mind EXHB. games aren't season games and we shouldn't put him on too much of a high pedestal because chances are he won't measure up and then we're gonna be disappointed. just keep in mind, the kid's got game BUT don't expect him to go all A. Ovech on us, if he does OMGG GREAT, i'll be the first to commend him, i'm just worried the pressure of the fans/media will make him crack.

he's to latendresse and many great seasons with le 3colore.

Guest Nikedine
i'm happy for GuiGui but i do think he could have used a season in hamilton..but then again that's just me...the jump from the Q to the NHL is huge and i hope he can handle that. you have to keep in mind EXHB. games aren't season games and we shouldn't put him on too much of a high pedestal because chances are he won't measure up and then we're gonna be disappointed. just keep in mind, the kid's got game BUT don't expect him to go all A. Ovech on us, if he does OMGG GREAT, i'll be the first to commend him, i'm just worried the pressure of the fans/media will make him crack.

he's to latendresse and many great seasons  with le 3colore.

Maybe... But then we wouldn't have seen him in Habs for another two years. (Since he's still to young to play in AHL)

Guest d80jcrant
Keep your expectations low. That way if he doesn't get those 40-50 points, you won't be disappointed.

True. If he does not get that I won't be disappointed. He is young and it will take time....But he sure does look good.

Not to take anything from his skills but there are few players that can go straight to the NHL. Most players mention the speed of the game and the strenght of the NHL players are the biggest adjustments to playing in the pros. Like others mentioned, a year in the AHL will just prepare him to be a better player in the NHL. Even if it is for 20 or so games.

I believe he will be a good NHLer.

Because if there's one thing Gainey has shown use since joining this organization as a GM is that he makes decisions based on what HE thinks is right. He's the one who stood in front of reporters and told the fans who booed Brisebois that they were (and I quote) "a bunch of guttless *******s"... He's the one who has been taking the hits everytime he's made a move that may not have been popular at the time like the signing of Bégin, trading of Hossa for Murray, trading Garon for Bonk and Huet, selecting Carey Price... He also stopped short in the Adrian Aucoin UFA derby as Chicago gave him $4 million/season, he did the same this year with Jason Arnott, both time not succumbing to the media and fans "pressure". And last but not least, he sent Latendresse down last year even if the pressure was just as bad on him to keep him in Montreal, as fans and media were just as hungry for the young French Canadian pheonom to stay. In Gainey, Carbonneau and Muller, we're talking about 3 great leaders on the ice during their playing days, 3 guys who wore the captain "C" with pride in our organization, 3 guys who have the respect of everyone around the NHL and in hockey in general due to great integrity. Yes, I'm 100% sure they've kept Latendresse because he made the team up and above other players.

Hope this answers the question. :D

Not really, but that doesn't matter anyway. I think that is the job of every GM in the league. To make choices that will make there team better. Right or wrong. I don't think any GM would want to make a choice for benefit of the media. I would think that almost any GM is hired to build a winner and has to make tough decisions. But unlike you the only thing I am 100% sure of is that Gainey, Carbo, Muller and Jarvis are only human. If your bombarded with the same thing over and over and over again it starts to way on us humans.

Guest TORHABSFAN

I love Gui and I think he has a huge future ahead of him. I wasn't big on him makeing the team at this point for a number of reason that I have stated many times in other threads. However having said that he has made it, so Its time for me to move past that and get behined him and hope that my conserns were wrong.

Just a word of caution to all Habs fans.

Please don't ruin the guy!!!!!

we Habs fans have a rep for being a very tough crowed to please. We are very passionate fans with High expectations due to are past success. We have a history of booing and bashing our own when they don't meet our rather high standerds. Even Rocket Richard faced a ton of critisim when he started out.

So this is what I am trying to say. Many Habs fans are expectting Huge things from Gui. We chant GUI GUI GUI as we did for Guy Lefluer. However some are expecting Gui to be Guy! Latandresse is not Lefluer nor his he the Rocket. He has a huge future ahead of him but we need to be patient. Please do not expect a 35 goal season from him this year! If Gui struggles for a while try to remeber he is 19.

Baiscly if he doesn't set the world on fire right away don't turn on him. Don't Boo him and don't start calling him a bust!!! I really don't want us to break this guy.

Guest cup crazy88
what a GREAT 3rd line  

Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson

Latendresse is going to be playing on the 4th line with Begin and Bonk according to the Gazette this morning...

Guest TORHABSFAN
Latendresse is going to be playing on the 4th line with Begin and Bonk according to the Gazette this morning...

Yeah for now!!

I expect our lines to change alot through out the season.

Archived