The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have faith that the coaching staff will make the decision that's best for the team and for Lats's long-term development, even if it means admitting that keeping him this year was a mistake, which I think it was (though I defended Carbo at the time; hindsight is always 20/20! ;)). A year in Hamilton working on hockey essentials wouldn't be a bad thing for Lats, but it all depends on training camp. I expect Kostitsyn to make the team this time, and Grabovski to be seriously considered, but we'll see.

What would have been best for Lats was if he could have gone to the minors this season. It would have been a nice compromise between holding him back in juniors and rushing him to the NHL.

And while I certainly understand why the CHL needs that rule where no NHL player under 20 can be sent to the minors (AHL, ECHL, or otherwise), sometimes it really hurts us.

What would have been best for Lats was if he could have gone to the minors this season. It would have been a nice compromise between holding him back in juniors and rushing him to the NHL.  

Agreed. The level of competition in the AHL would have been higher, so it would have been a challenge for him, but not so challenging that he couldn't keep up, and it would also have been a relatively pressure-free environment for him. Instead of fans at the Bell Centre chanting his name every time he touches the puck. :roll: Ridiculous.

Guest WantMoreCups
Yeah, grabovski can score, but he didn't, Gui has

hey he woulda scored the first game but the reff made a dumb call and made the play stop.... next year they should try a line of kost-grab-lats.... its our young talent why not get some chem. betwen them now ? :wink: ;)

Agreed. The level of competition in the AHL would have been higher, so it would have been a challenge for him, but not so challenging that he couldn't keep up, and it would also have been a relatively pressure-free environment for him. Instead of fans at the Bell Centre chanting his name every time he touches the puck. :roll: Ridiculous.

I think he's had a good rookie year, and probably learned about 5 times more than he would've last year, sitting in the juniors, so I'd say it's worked out. 2 game winners, 11 goals, 13 assists, it's not bad for a young rookie. He does have a -16, but so do Koivu and Ryder.

And the year is not over, he may even get a taste of playoffs for some good experience.

I think he's had a good rookie year, and probably learned about 5 times more than he would've last year, sitting in the juniors, so I'd say it's worked out. 2 game winners, 11 goals, 13 assists, it's not bad for a young rookie. He does have a -16, but so do Koivu and Ryder.

And the year is not over, he may even get a taste of playoffs for some good experience.

It wasn't a bad rookie year, but that production came only because he was playing with Koivu. At the start of the year, he was -6 with 0 points over 15 games. In the last 10 games or so, away from Koivu, I don't think he's registered a point. What's worse is, he still looks slow and confused a lot of the time. He has no foot speed and he doesn't anticipate the play at all, especially in the neutral zone. By this time last year, both Higgins and Plekanec were already leaps and bounds ahead of Latendresse as far as overall development. This is why Latendresse should have cut his teeth in junior for one more year, and why unless he is clearly better than Kostitsyn and Grabovski at next year's training camp, he should spend a season in Hamilton.

Guest cup crazy88
By this time last year, both Higgins and Plekanec were already leaps and bounds ahead of Latendresse as far as overall development.

Ditto, i agree 100%..

in defense of lats....he is a few years younger then the players mentioned...a few years can do alot for development

exactly! :mrgreen:

I'm in no way trying to insult Latendresse, but just questioning the logic of taking him out of junior early. You yourself say "a few years can do a lot for development", and I think that's what everyone against him being here is trying to say.

For a player to be taken out of junior early, he should be something special (a Crosby or even Staal type player). Most 19 year olds simply don't make the team that easily. Montreal has always done a good job of developing its prospects properly (full junior + 1 or 2 years in the minors), but for some reason skipped this for Lats. I mean he had a good training camp and everything, but I still think his pouplarity was the main reason he's here today.

Latts has been given all the oppurtunities in the world to succeed.. Yet we have Sammy who was left to only work with what was handed to him.. Sammy gets benched while Latts gets promoted to the first line.. Go figure, as if none of this is supposed to make the team wonder what the hecks going on here..

I dont blame Kovi if he did make those comments.. Just wish he said them to Carbos face if they are true..

Guest cup crazy88

Bingo, thats why people think that he shouldn't have made the roster..

And unless the player taken out of junior is a exceptional talent then I believe it can hinder their developement..

It wasn't a bad rookie year, but that production came only because he was playing with Koivu. At the start of the year, he was -6 with 0 points over 15 games. In the last 10 games or so, away from Koivu, I don't think he's registered a point. What's worse is, he still looks slow and confused a lot of the time. He has no foot speed and he doesn't anticipate the play at all, especially in the neutral zone. By this time last year, both Higgins and Plekanec were already leaps and bounds ahead of Latendresse as far as overall development. This is why Latendresse should have cut his teeth in junior for one more year, and why unless he is clearly better than Kostitsyn and Grabovski at next year's training camp, he should spend a season in Hamilton.

He's just getting tired, the NHL season is much more grueling then I'm sure he's used to. As for his performance, give the guy some credit as well, his points are because he has a great set of hands and a good shot, and is willing to get into traffic areas.

He performed well on both the 1st and 2nd line with Kovalev and Pleks imo, and has been giving us some great physicality.

Guest TheFly
He's just getting tired, the NHL season is much more grueling then I'm sure he's used to. As for his performance, give the guy some credit as well, his points are because he has a great set of hands and a good shot, and is willing to get into traffic areas.

He performed well on both the 1st and 2nd line with Kovalev and Pleks imo, and has been giving us some great physicality.

Stop with the excuses if he couldnt handle it he shouldnt be here period. We dont make any excuses for anyone else besides Latts its ridiculous. Just admit it that he shouldnt have made the team and like patrick roy said it was only because he was francophone. End of story. I can get 24 points playing with Koivu and Ryder.

Guest TheFly
2 great training camps actually.

Does mean anything, he plays against other rookies. That why when the season started he did so terrible because now he was playing with the big guns.

I wish you people would stop saying that Lat doesnt deserve to be on the team, blah blah blah. Carbo has proved he awards icetime to the players that actually work, not float, but WORK and Lat is always skatting, you dont see him coast as much as 90% of the team (Kov being the wingman). I dont think at all it was a mistake to get him on the team, hes develeoping, and his time now on the 4th line is showing that he has a promissing future.

......., hes develeoping, and his time now on the 4th line is showing that he has a promissing future.

Last year at this time I would have said that about Higgins, Plekanecs, Peroz ...they looked like they were improving

Mr Lats doesn't IMO, but then I don't get to see all the games

Le looks too slow , like a career 4th liner, like someone who got drafted 45 th

Guest Miltie01
Stop with the excuses if he couldnt handle it he shouldnt be here period. We dont make any excuses for anyone else besides Latts its ridiculous. Just admit it that he shouldnt have made the team and like patrick roy said it was only because he was francophone. End of story. I can get 24 points playing with Koivu and Ryder.

Excuses are made on this board for many players , all of whom have more experience, make more money, and have been bigger disappointments !!!

Guest caperns
in defense of lats....he is a few years younger then the players mentioned...a few years can do alot for development

Exactly so what was the need to rush him. If he had of played like Staal in pittsburg. Or sliek some that was really making a differnece on the big club than yes keep him. He should have finished his junior. And spent at least a year or half a year in hamilton. Give him time to develop so when he does arrive he will have an impact on the team. There are a number of players with more experience and if have been given a full year in the NHL may have given this team more or at worst at least the same.

You expect to be taken seriously with ridiculous comments like this? "I can get 24 points playing with Koivu and Ryder"

That entire line slumped for nearly 2 months, so obviously it's not that easy scoring with Koivu. Latendresse has nearly as many goals as Kovalev, and half as many assists, these are not excuses these are simple facts. That a good solid rookie year.

And the Koivu argument is getting extremely weak. On one hand, people argue we have no superstar, we have no #1 center, and then on he other hand, they talk about Koivu as if he IS a superstar which just grants points to anyone he plays with. Well which is it??

Koivu's a good playmaker, but a line has no success if all 3 member aren't contibuting. Latendresse completely outplayed Micheal Ryder for 2 months, it is obvious he is capable of playing at this level.

Does mean anything, he plays against other rookies. That why when the season started he did so terrible because now he was playing with the big guns.

It matters because the post I was referring to said he had just a single good camp and made the team. That's not actually what happened.

Make sure you understand the context of the statement before trying to correct someone.

As for Lats playing poorly when beginning the year, sure he did, but he picked it up within 13 games, which does not bolster your point. After a relatively short adjustment period, Lats showed he could play with the big guns just fine.

I never questioned his hands, his shot, or his willingness to mix it up, but none of those qualities are in in evidence right now.

If all we wanted was physicality, we'd be playing Downey and Murray all night and Steve Bégin would be on the top line. Look, don't get me wrong: I like the kid. As soon as his vision improves and he gets a little faster, he's going to be a great asset to this club. But his regression in the second half of the season just proves to me that a) Kostitsyn probably should have made the team and ;) Lats's productivity was largely the result of Koivu.

As for the elite centre talk, that's irrelevant. You don't have to be a superstar to elevate the play of those around him. Koivu may not be Sidney Crosby, but he is our best playmaking centre, and by and large, he elevates the wingers on his line. Ryder and Higgins, though, have proven that they can be productive without Koivu. Latendresse hasn't.

Archived