The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest cup crazy88
Ryder and Higgins, though, have proven that they can be productive without Koivu. Latendresse hasn't.

Excellent point, and even though he did pick up a fair number of points when he was on the top line, do you really think that he was a scoring threat on the ice?.. Did you actually think something might happen when had the puck?... I kno i never did and the fact he has been floating around more than ANY SINGLE PLAYER on the team in the last 2 + months isn't a good sign either...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Lats is going to be as good as the media made him out to be, but he hasn't been bad. There was a streatch during the losing streak where he was the best player on the ice for about two weeks. Hes gone downhill a bit since then, but hes still very young and hopefully he will get better if they put him in the right situation. How would guys like Ryder and Higgens have done if they weren't given icetime on the first or second line at some point? How would Pleks have done if he wasn't given the opportunity to succeed on a scoring line? These young guys are going to need some time playing with the vets until they develop an identity for themselves.

The kid is 19 give him a break, lets come back to him 5 years from now.. Jeese ;)

This is the BIG leagues , you don't get breaks up here

There is some thought that maybe someone else ( Kastitsyn ) could have benifited from playing in the NHL this year

This is the BIG leagues , you don't get breaks up here  

There is some thought that maybe someone else ( Kastitsyn ) could have benifited from playing in the NHL this year

Indeed.. when your coach is giving every damn oppurtunity to let a 19 yr old succeed and your star players are being treated like rookies..There is a BIG problem on hand!

Guest Miltie01
Indeed.. when your coach is giving every damn oppurtunity to let a 19 yr old succeed and your star players are being treated like rookies..There is a BIG problem on hand!

I would say alot of players have been given every opportunity to succeed.

The big problem is we have star players doing nothing !!! Why pick on a 19 year old kid in his first season when we have vets playing like crap.

The big problem is we have star players doing nothing !!! Why pick on a 19 year old kid in his first season when we have vets playing like crap.

I will differ on this and say that our star players have been mishandled.. I find it very hard to believe that we have dropped this much since last season in numbers. Our star players arent puting up the numbers their capable of. Were not talking about one or two guys here either..

Blame who you want but it wont be overlooked by the media and reporters that this dressing room has been distant and why? Let the speculation continue as it has..

Guys, c'mon. You're coming to Latendresse's defence when no one is attacking him! This is a coaching issue, and in fact, I feel bad for the kid because I don't think he's been handled well this year. The rush from junior to the pros. The media pressure. The insane fan expectations. Being awarded a spot on the top line for no good reason (face it, a -6 and 0 points in 15 games usually gets you a trip to the bench, not an extended stint with the team's top playmaker). The fact that he is a 19-year-old kid, in over his head, trying to play with the big boys but looking lost and out of place most of the time. None of this is his fault. Guillaume has done the best he could this year, but in my opinion, he should never have been here in the first place, and should certainly never have spent so much time on the top two lines. Apart from a stretch when Koivu was feeding him pucks and he was getting the bounces, he hasn't proven he belongs here. Again, not his fault: another year in junior and one more in Hamilton once he became eligible would have done wonders for his game.

We gained nothing by rushing Lats to the big leagues prematurely, especially given that we had other young talent with more seniority (Kostitsyn) on hand. I love the potential of Lats's skill set -- size, physical dominance, great shot -- but they mean nothing right now because he doesn't have the vision, skating, and seasoning to turn them into consistent assets. Again, if all we wanted was size and big hits, we'd play Begin, Downey, and Murray all night. If Lats is going to become that elusive power forward we've been lacking for so many years, he's got to do more than throw big hits and score goals on the power play.

Guest habinto
Samsanov, Peroz, Kastytsin, Murray  haven't

Give me abreak!!!

Sammy was given too many chances.

Murray did not get out of the gate very well this year. He is playing better and getting ice time. What more due you want! He's only a depth player!!

Kosty problem is a numbers problem. Gainey needs to make room for him. This is not a Carbo issue. Who would you move from the 1st 2 lines to allow Kostsy to play. Sammy

Perez seems to be in the coach's dog house Not sure why! BUT he is not helping himself either.

Lets have a hand for weeping minotaur!:thumb: :bow:  

Everyone is quick to defend their favourite players, myself included

Go Weeping Minotaur, go Latendresse!

;) Thanks, my friend.

When this kid learns how to compete consistently at the NHL level, he is going to be a great asset to this team.

2 great training camps actually.

Fair enough. But then again, Price had two great training camps, I'm sure there were others, Hossa had a great training camp and was traded.

Where I'm going with this is that (two) good (or great if you want) training camps are not enough in my opinion to pull a player out of junior early. There were reasons that Lats was available in the second round (skating mainly from what I've heard), and we're seeing that now. Just because he played good against a team half full of AHLers and juniors didn't mean he was going to suceed here.

Were the situation he had completed junior and a year in the AHL, and the spot was between him and Kostitsyn, I would have given it to Lats based on his training camp. But given his situation at the time, that spot should have gone to Kostitsyn.

Excuses are made on this board for many players , all of whom have more experience, make more money, and have been bigger disappointments !!!

Why pick on a 19 year old kid in his first season when we have vets playing like crap.

Miltie, can you point out exactly where it is any of us are saying he has been a dissapointment or picking on him?

Actually, Lats did better than I thought he would, so I certainly can't call him a dissapointment. But I never agreed to him being here in the first place, and that hasn't changed. As weeping said excellently, none of this is Lats fault.

Montreal's lack of a superstar, combined with lack of skilled French Canadians, combined with a lack of size, combined with a good training camp led to us seeing Lats as a saviour, our Crosby. This was somewhat the fans fault, somewhat the medias. But he isn't Crosby, months before this great training camp, not a single team took him in the first round. He was an excellent second round pickup and has good potential, but he just isn't there yet, and I'm still not sure he was quite the "steal" that some of us are thinking. Its not like the other scouts around the league are idiots.

I never questioned his hands, his shot, or his willingness to mix it up, but none of those qualities are in in evidence right now.

I already addressed that point, imo he's tiring, he doesn't have the gas to go a whole season.

But was this honestly not expected? Did anyone expect him to skip the AHL, and not have a tough time in the latter part of the year? Even NHL veterans have a hard time maintaining consistency in the final stretch.

I agree he has faded, but I don'ty think that means it was a mistake to bring him up, and would say his development has improved by leaps and bounds over what he would've learned playing in the Juniors.

Regardless of the fact he has faded, it was a succesful experiment, and a good rookie season for the kid. One of Carbo's few decisions that really panned out for the better imo.

Fair enough. But then again, Price had two great training camps, I'm sure there were others, Hossa had a great training camp and was traded.

You are ignoring a rather large factor though, Latendresse filled a role we needed filled.

Hossa, Price, it's different as we had people in those roles already. What we didn't have, was a good power forward who could score, dig the puck out of corners, and bang on the boards.

So, the situations are not directly comparable imo.

I really don't see how you can frame it as a mistake the way that Latendresse played when being moved up to Line 1, and how much he contributed to our succes in the early part of the season. Hindsight being 20/20, we certainly benefitted from having Latendresse here when Higgy went out, and he benefited from being here.

Latts has been given all the oppurtunities in the  world to succeed.. Yet we have Sammy who was left to only work with what was handed to him.. Sammy gets benched while Latts gets promoted to the first line.. Go figure, as if none of this is supposed to make the team wonder what the hecks going on here..  

I dont blame Kovi if he did make those comments.. Just wish he said them to Carbos face if they are true..

Not looking for excuses for Latendresse as I was one of the ones saying that he should have been sent back to junior at training camp, but he played more games on the 4th line than on any other line this year. He did fill in for Higgins for a while and he did quite well, but as soon as Higgins came back, he was sent back to the fourth. Also, we need to get our facts straight when trying to attack the coach. Latendresse watched a game from the press box as well and he spent his fair share of time on the bench as only Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Begin, Lapierre, Murray and Downey are spending less time on the ice on average each game. Yes, Samsonov plays more than Latendresse. :deal:

Guys, c'mon. You're coming to Latendresse's defence when no one is attacking him! This is a coaching issue, and in fact, I feel bad for the kid because I don't think he's been handled well this year. The rush from junior to the pros. The media pressure. The insane fan expectations. Being awarded a spot on the top line for no good reason (face it, a -6 and 0 points in 15 games usually gets you a trip to the bench, not an extended stint with the team's top playmaker). The fact that he is a 19-year-old kid, in over his head, trying to play with the big boys but looking lost and out of place most of the time. None of this is his fault. Guillaume has done the best he could this year, but in my opinion, he should never have been here in the first place, and should certainly never have spent so much time on the top two lines. Apart from a stretch when Koivu was feeding him pucks and he was getting the bounces, he hasn't proven he belongs here. Again, not his fault: another year in junior and one more in Hamilton once he became eligible would have done wonders for his game.

We gained nothing by rushing Lats to the big leagues prematurely, especially given that we had other young talent with more seniority (Kostitsyn) on hand. I love the potential of Lats's skill set -- size, physical dominance, great shot -- but they mean nothing right now because he doesn't have the vision, skating, and seasoning to turn them into consistent assets. Again, if all we wanted was size and big hits, we'd play Begin, Downey, and Murray all night. If Lats is going to become that elusive power forward we've been lacking for so many years, he's got to do more than throw big hits and score goals on the power play.

Sometimes though, you have to take risks to get a good payout. Maybe the jump from juniors to the NHL will make him a better player faster. While we might not have gained a lot (as I do agree) I'm quite certain we haven't lost much, if anything either. Sure, we could have given Kostitsyn a look, but hindsight is always 20-20.

Going into training camp (anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), one of the glaring issues we needed to address was size up-front. We needed someone that could play the role of a "power-forward", and the likes of Murray, Downey, Bonk and Johnson were not destined to fit the bill.

And although I'm still undecided on whether we should have kept him in the juniors or not, I truly think he has learned a lot more here in the NHL than he may have down there. He's come to see just how big and how fast the game is, and THAT gives him the basic grounds on what to improve upon. One thing I do believe, is that if he were to play in juniors, his weaknesses would not have been pointed out (or at least not so easily), and thus, improving upon those weaknesses would just be pushed back further.

So in saying that, I definitely don't think we've lost much. In fact, under the circumstances of the media, the fans, the age, etc (all those things Weep mentioned above) I think he's done alright; could have been better, but in retrospect, he could have crumbled to bits under the weight of it all too :two:

P.S. The beauty of it all, is that we have him signed for two more seasons at his current salary, and he remains a restricted free-agent at the end of it. With some of the promise he's already shown, and taking into account the experience he'll have after a season-and-a-half to two seasons, he'll (hopefully) be a huge steal in his third year, and during the remainder of his RFA days. :pray:

He did fill in for Higgins for a while and he did quite well, but as soon as Higgins came back, he was sent back to the fourth.

Not quite true, JL, he spend a considerable amount of time on the second line with Kovalev and Plekanec.

Latendresse watched a game from the press box as well

Carbonneau waited a long time to bench him, whereas Perezhogin was getting benched every other game. At the time Carbo benched Lats, I personally felt that he should have been benched at least two weeks prior. Perezhogin, on the other hand, would come into a game, register a point, but take one dumb hooking penalty and get immediately sent back to the pressbox.

Yes, Samsonov plays more than Latendresse. :deal:

I don't think ice time is the issue. Latendresse was handed a spot on the top line when Higgins got injured -- and let's use the word 'handed', because you'll be hard-pressed to convince me he deserved the promotion at that point in the season. He saw first-unit PP time. He did well in both situations, well enough for a 19-year-old rookie at any rate, so I'm not finding fault with him.

I already addressed that point, imo he's tiring, he doesn't have the gas to go a whole season.

He's 19 and he's tiring before guys in their '30s who've overcome multiple injuries? C'mon. I didn't see Sidney Crosby run out of gas last season. That's a conditioning issue, plain and simple.

But was this honestly not expected? Did anyone expect him to skip the AHL, and not have a tough time in the latter part of the year? Even NHL veterans have a hard time maintaining consistency in the final stretch.

I agree he has faded, but I don't think that means it was a mistake to bring him up, and would say his development has improved by leaps and bounds over what he would've learned playing in the Juniors.

Nobody is blaming him for his second-half struggles! I will say it again: I think this is on the coaches, not on Lats. Of course we all expected him to have a tough time in the latter part of the year. That's all the more reason why he should have gone back to junior and then done a year in Hamilton. As for development, I really don't see it. Sure the NHL experience is great, but I still see the same kid with zero foot speed, limited vision, and very little idea of how to play away from the puck. I think Kostitsyn would have produced more consistently had he spent the whole year in Montreal, it wouldn't have cost us a year of Lats's time before free agency, and it would have allowed us to develop Latendresse properly. To put it another way, I don't see why Latendresse getting NHL experience was more of a priority than Kostitsyn's development, all other things being equal, when sending him back to junior would have allowed us to develop both players properly at the same time.

You are ignoring a rather large factor though, Latendresse filled a role we needed filled.

Hossa, Price, it's different as we had people in those roles already. What we didn't have, was a good power forward who could score, dig the puck out of corners, and bang on the boards.

No offense to Latendresse, but he has yet to fill that power forward role. I think people are getting confused about what he has the potential to become, and what he currently is. Right now, he is not a power forward by any stretch of the imagination. He throws hits, but if that's the only thing that constitutes a power forward, let's put Aaron Downey on the power play. ;) He doesn't yet know how to use his size and puck control to dominate in the other team's zone in a way that will generate a power forward's numbers. He will learn to do this, in time, but he ain't there right now.

Note: I just want to reiterate that I am speaking unabashedly in hindsight, which is of course 20/20. At the start of the year, I defended Carbo's decision to keep Lats, but over the course of the season, I've changed my mind, based on the reasons I've listed. So please don't interpret this as an attack on Latendresse. I like him and look forward to the day when he does become that vaunted power forward.

To put it another way, I don't see why Latendresse getting NHL experience was more of a priority than Kostitsyn's development, all other things being equal, when sending him back to junior would have allowed us to develop both players properly at the same time.

you don't see it because your not a member of the french media ;) thats not an insult to you weeping and I am not trying to bash those who work for the french media in Montreal ( they can't all be little maggots like certain reporters) but truth be told IMO Lats has gotten more breaks because Carbo and Gainey are simply playing the media like a fiddle.

You have a young french hockey player, home grown talent who had a good training camp the previous year. Everyone was calling for him to play then but they sent him back. So this season rolls around and again he has a great training camp. Again the media and fans are calling for him to be placed on the roster. If they hadn't of made that promise in the summer that there would be a roster spot for one of the rookies this season you probably wouldt have seen Lats up here. But they had painted themselves into a corner so the spot had to go to someone. From what I recall afterwards when asked why he got it Carbo commented that Kostistyn had some great games in training camp, but had a few bad ones where as Gui had good games right up to the end. So they give him the spot and now here comes the part I mentioned earlier where they start playing the media. They promote Gui to the 1st line, they give him PP minutes, they give him some PK minutes, they give him p,enty of ice time. why? simple. At the end of the season the media can't stand on their soapbox and wail how Carbo didn't use Gui properly. They have given him every chance to succeed. After he got his first goal Carbo addressed the media and basically told them "Now maybe we can lay off him and leave him be" By doing this when Carbo did bench Gui for a game there wasn't any huge write ups in the papers or public out cry. By that time we all knew it was coming and had no problem with it.

I am not disapointed with the choice of keeping him, he has 14 more points then I expected him to get this year, speed he can work on, same as his hockey sense, passing, using his teamates properly etc.

But at the end of the day the media can't blame this one of the coach as Gui has been given the chance to succeed and has no one else to blame but himself if he doesn't.

Guest habinto

I thinks Lat's evolution is doing well. I agreed with the decision to keep him in the NHL because he would not have learned anything more in playing Junior. In the end the choice came down to Kots and Lats and Lats got the call because Kots could easily go back to the AHL and could easily be called up. Lats could not be sent to the AHL and could not be call up during the regular season if he was sent back to the Junior.

Gainey and Carbo made the right decision!

Guest CanadianMike
i see he got a new way of signing autographs...when i got one from him when it was his first training camp....he printed the autograph

LOL what? never saw a player print his autograph...funny stuff.

Archived