The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

i agree, he should go to hamilton, but i dont see that happening....

if he does tho, it will do him good...

What is he? Two goals away from Kovalev? Should we send him to Hamilton as well? I wasn't in favour of keeping Latendresse in Montreal, but he's played well, way beyond my expectations this year.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is he? Two goals away from Kovalev? Should we send him to Hamilton as well? I wasn't in favour of keeping Latendresse in Montreal, but he's played well, way beyond my expectations this year.

stop looking at his stats !!!!

look at the way he plays...he cant skate properly...he's slow, hes a defensive liability...its not all about goals you know...

Guest Miltie01

look at the way he plays...he cant skate properly...he's slow, hes a defensive liability...its not all about goals you know...

It is about a 19 year old rookie being as effective as a so called superstar !!!

Lats is just fine. The only thing he can get is BETTER !!!

Guest jeff33
It is about a 19 year old rookie being as effective as a so called superstar !!!

Lats is just fine. The only thing he can get is BETTER !!!

whoa whoa whoa lets not think he is as effective as kovalev because they have similar goal totals. lats is a universe away from kovy as a hockey player, hes had a decent rookie year, very good, lets leave it at that.

Guest Miltie01
whoa whoa whoa lets not think he is as effective as kovalev because they have similar goal totals. lats is a universe away from kovy as a hockey player, hes had a decent rookie year, very good, lets leave it at that.

I am saying for this season, for which I think a case can be made.

It is one thing to have god given talent like Kovy does, but too often this season it has had no effect on the outcome of games.

Why not look at stats? Because they're in HIS favour? Because it points out to something positive which would go against those trying to put him down? :oops:

Guest Lafleurs Guy

Kovalev is the better player... no doubt.

But to have the season that Lats is having at 19 years old is great. Again, I didn't think it was smart to bring him up this year but he's proved me wrong.

Guest jeff33
I am saying for this season, for which I think a case can be made.

It is one thing to have god given talent like Kovy does, but too often this season it has had no effect on the outcome of games.

honestly even this season. kovy could not touch the puck all game and hes still factoring in the outcome because opposing coaches have to give him special consideration, perfect example is his PP influence. they cover him, somone else gets free and scores. lats isnt a special player like that, he will throw a big hit, maybe score, maybe get a chance or whatever....he chips in but thats the extent of his game. if you want to talk about effecting the outcome of a game i could say kovy has him beat easily on that one too even in this quiet season hes had production wise.

Guest jeff33
Kovalev is the better player... no doubt.  

But to have the season that Lats is having at 19 years old is great. Again, I didn't think it was smart to bring him up this year but he's proved me wrong.

and this is the underlying point, i dont want to take anything away from lats, hes been a nice surprise this year and will no doubt be a better player next yr

Guest habinto

I disagree with your evaluation. He deserves to be playing in the NHL. His stats and his game are good. His only weakness is his speed. Sure he needs to work on this but he is good enough to stick in the NHL. To me this is an easy call.

I disagree with your evaluation.  He deserves to be playing in the NHL.  His stats and his game are good.  His only weakness is his speed.  Sure he needs to work on this but he is good enough to stick in the NHL.  To me this is an easy call.

no way he should be in the nhl with that skating....

sending him to the ahl is good for him and will do good for the team..

no way he should be in the nhl with that skating....

sending him to the ahl is good for him and will do good for the team..

I also agree with habinto. Latendresse has his spot on this team. Remember that we have one of the fastest teams in the NHL, which makes Latendresse look a bit slower than others, but he's not slow by any means. Everything is relative.

That's where you're incorrect. There's no justification to that fallacy; just because you say something doesn't make it automatic.

If you wish to continue this further, let's move this to the Latendresse thread, as this one is quite off-topic.

EDIT: Moved posts to Latendresse thread.

Guest NDSuto
he can't skate good, period...theres no point of arguing otherwise

Who cares he if can score 30 goals a season? He'll improve his skating year after year and he can become an amazing player even if he's not perfect in every aspects of the game (who is any ways)

Guest habinto
some might argue that he got in because he's french canadian ;)

It is an argument that was weak than and is weak now with 20/20 insight. I understood why they kept him! His performance this year proved that Bob and Carbo were right to keep him.

Remember there will always be someone trying to put a political twist on any decision.

Just my opinion!!

His skating is not the best. I would define it as below average. Whatever, He can still play good hockey. Does he need to improve his skating, yes. Does he belong in the NHL, yes.

What bothers me with the Lats discussion is that there is a notion that the decision to keep him was political, which get's my blood boilling - I don't even live in Montreal! (anymore)

Guest Habsfan_11

Latendresse's skating ability is below average, but he's only 19 now and he's got some time to work on that.

The two things about him that impress me the most is his strength and his creative vision. He seems to be very good at anticipating how a play is going to develop. That's why I like seeing him with Kovalev.

Guest Miltie01
His skating is not the best.  I would define it as below average.  Whatever,  He can still play good hockey.  Does he need to improve his skating, yes.  Does he belong in the NHL, yes.  

What bothers me with the Lats discussion is that there is a notion that the decision to keep him was political, which get's my blood boilling - I don't even live in Montreal! (anymore)

That is what people who don't understand why he made the team use to justify their arguement. Lats made it after a great camp and he offered one aspect no other kid could...SIZE !!! It might have been a different story if we had signed Shanahan. Making the team because he speaks french is just plain FALSE !!!

I think his comments show him to be a mature person at only 19 years of age. It's hard to say for sure, but I've seen lots of hockey players older make immature comments to the press even if they are just saying the truth of how they feel. I like the kid so far and I think he is going to do well. If you can score at the NHL level then you are going to have a pretty good career.

Guest WantMoreCups

waTCH this off-season his gonna work on his skatting and his starts and his gonna be so much better next year so dont worry his 19 and is doing pretty good... so im not worryed

some might argue that he got in because he's french canadian ;)

I'm French Canadian and I'm one who was saying that. But it doesn't change the fact that he has improved immensely and that he deserves his spot in the line-up.

he can't skate good, period...theres no point of arguing otherwise

Remember that we have one of the fastest teams in the NHL, which makes Latendresse look a bit slower than others, but he's not slow by any means. Everything is relative.

I remember when people were saying that Luc Robitaille wasn't going to be successful because he wasn't fast enough... Even in today's NHL, the best players aren't always the fastest ones. As long as he camps himself in front of the net, as long as he gives bodychecks (he's 28th in the league in hits at 19 years old, first amongst rookies), as long as he digs the puck from the corner and uses his big body, he'll be successful in this league... Heck, here's something that should put this discussion to rest... remember that he's only 19, the 5th youngest player in the NHL this year!

Latendresse is

• 28th in the league in hits at 19 years old!
  • 1st rookie in hits
  • 36th amongst rookies in giveaways
  • Tied for 16th amongst rookies in takeaways
  • 9th amongst rookies in goals
  • 17th amongst rookies in assists
  • 11th amongst rookies in points
  • 8th amongst rookies in PP goals
  • 10th amongst rookies in PP points
  • 7th amongst rookies in GWG
  • 10th amongst rookies in shots on goal

Something to note as well... he's ahead of Gilbert Brule in every category!

If he's that slow, why does he compare that well with other rookies who are, for the most part, older than him? He's doing great, give him time. What I especially like is how coacheable he is. The coaches tell him something and he goes out and executes. Never complains, does what he's asked. He will become a better player because he is also learning to be efficient without the puck as well. I'm excited for this guy's career. :thumb:

Guest HabsUVM
waTCH this off-season his gonna work on his skatting and his starts and his gonna be so much better next year so dont worry his 19 and is doing pretty good... so im not worryed

I agree, he should get a lot better over the off season. Just look at how much faster Ryder is this year.

Archived