The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest WantMoreCups

i heard he got in his first scrap tonight. how was it? (i missed it i had hockey but i scored 2 times and got 3 assist ;) lol)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lafleurs Guy
I'm French Canadian and I'm one who was saying that. But it doesn't change the fact that he has improved immensely and that he deserves his spot in the line-up.  

Remember that we have one of the fastest teams in the NHL, which makes Latendresse look a bit slower than others, but he's not slow by any means. Everything is relative.

I remember when people were saying that Luc Robitaille wasn't going to be successful because he wasn't fast enough... Even in today's NHL, the best players aren't always the fastest ones. As long as he camps himself in front of the net, as long as he gives bodychecks (he's 28th in the league in hits at 19 years old, first amongst rookies), as long as he digs the puck from the corner and uses his big body, he'll be successful in this league... Heck, here's something that should put this discussion to rest... remember that he's only 19, the 5th youngest player in the NHL this year!

Latendresse is  

• 28th in the league in hits at 19 years old!
  • 1st rookie in hits
  • 36th amongst rookies in giveaways
  • Tied for 16th amongst rookies in takeaways
  • 9th amongst rookies in goals
  • 17th amongst rookies in assists
  • 11th amongst rookies in points
  • 8th amongst rookies in PP goals
  • 10th amongst rookies in PP points
  • 7th amongst rookies in GWG
  • 10th amongst rookies in shots on goal

Something to note as well... he's ahead of Gilbert Brule in every category!  

If he's that slow, why does he compare that well with other rookies who are, for the most part, older than him? He's doing great, give him time. What I especially like is how coacheable he is. The coaches tell him something and he goes out and executes. Never complains, does what he's asked. He will become a better player because he is also learning to be efficient without the puck as well. I'm excited for this guy's career. :thumb:

At one point, Lats was projected as a top five pick. Then he slid to top 20. It was shocking that we got him in the 2nd round.

And he just dummied that guy tonight.

Guest spankydriscoll

loved watching him drop the gloves... frankly, i'd like to see him stick up for everyone (and himself) more often. be like iggy. go for it! he didn't look like a natural, but who cares. patrick thoresen dropped the gloves tonight! if he can do it so can Gui !

Guest NDSuto
Couldn't believe he actually dropped the gloves! lol. Should work on that a little over the summer though... lucky for him Wideman's not huge.

Latendresse is a big guy, don't worry for him. ;)

Guest jeff33

lol props for doing it! imagine bein 19 and fighting a 25 ur old (however old wideman is i dunno) musta been scary lol first nhl fight...lats isa strong kid you can tell...if he fought a bit more he could really punch people out! nice to know he has that element to his game anyway

Guest Habsfan_11

To me, form the angle i saw, it looked like when Gui had Wideman's jersey over his head, he was just gonna let the refs pick Wideman off of him. But then Wideman kept throwing, so Gui had to respond. Gui did pretty good there though!

Guest Miltie01
lol props for doing it! imagine bein 19 and fighting a 25 ur old (however old wideman is i dunno) musta been scary lol first nhl fight...lats isa strong kid you can tell...if he fought a bit more he could really punch people out! nice to know he has that element to his game anyway

I don't think fighting is something that is part of his make up really.

He just does not impress me as that type of guy. But he did show he is willing to step outside of his comfort zone to help the team and that is good.

I may be reading him wrong. Does anyone know if he fought at all in Junior ?

lol.that post is so true,every word

Guest NDSuto

He doesn't need to fight to punch people out, ask DiMaio. ;)

By the way, Wideman is 24 years old.

He did a couple of times, but he was a all-star player so he couldn't really take the risk to get injured.

Guest habinto
I don't think fighting is something that is part of his make up really.

He just does not impress me as that type of guy. But he did show he is willing to step outside of his comfort zone to help the team and that is good.

I totally agree with your read. He is not a fighter type at all.

Guest banker002

it was good to see him drop the gloves..but the biggest benefit from the night i saw was he showed FIRE....that is what i like about darcy tucker.....people love to hate him but many would love for him to be on the team... why? whether he fights or not, he plays with energy and fire and its hard to teach that..plus its contagious to teammates.....good work

Guest WantMoreCups

i watched the fight after on RDS Canadien Express and he didnt do to much... only if he woulda went all out and thrown punches more then throw the other guy around

Guest Poor_Tom

Guillaume is the man. He has some sweet hair. He could also give spezza a run for his money as having the largest melon in the NHL.

Guest MTL_RULES

He is having a good rookie season, and I am impressed with his physical play. Needs to work on his skating, agility and puck control. Once he's a little stronger on the puck, he'll be almost impossible to knock off. I think he has a very good work ethic and will train extremely hard this off-season and will have an even more impressive off-season.

Guest Handlanger
He is having a good rookie season, and I am impressed with his physical play.  Needs to work on his skating, agility and puck control.  Once he's a little stronger on the puck, he'll be almost impossible to knock off.  I think he has a very good work ethic and will train extremely hard this off-season and will have an even more impressive off-season.

I thought he fought pretty well - but he was exhausted after the fight. Should work on his condition a bit more. If the fight would have been longer, Wideman would have punched him out just cause he's in better shape.

Archived