The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

84 Guillaume Latendresse 06-07

jl-1

Guest Mustangpoirier4
I think that Gui will score at least 20 goals next season if he gets decent ice time. He's only going to get bigger and stronger too. He'll be a real body breaker next year. I can't wait to see what he'll be like in October!

ya i don't think he'll get any bigger.. lol but stronger yeah and probably faster, at the begining of the season he was kinda slow and by the middle he was in pace with the other players on the team he'll do better next year and with more ice time since some players are leaving

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest shamrun

good year for latendress, but he still needs to work on a few things this summer (his skating ability,ice positioning). he will be even better next season and i know it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest habinto
good year for latendress, but he still needs to work on a few things this summer (his skating ability,ice positioning). he will be even better next season and i know it

He is like a fine wine, he only needs time (playing time) to get better. If he improves his speed he can become very good (not saviour). If he does not improve his speed he can still be a major contributor.

On the negative side, some fine wines turn to vinegar.

Guest TheFly

With the way the line up is now, and Gainey claiming that we wants a Top line player I find its going to be very hard for Lats to crack the 2nd or 1st line, maybe even the 3rd. He's even got Grabovski sneaking in, and theres no way we should waste Grabovski on the 4th line and I think that its a given that he should start on the 3rd line or higher.

I like Lats. His size is what we need, he's got a good shot, and he's getting better at using his body to protect the puck. However, there are two things he needs to do in the off-season if he wants to be a permanent part of this team:

1. Improve his foot speed. He's just too slow in today's NHL. He often looks like he's wearing cement shoes out there. I'm not expecting him to turn into Maxim Afinogenov, but I do want him to improve his acceleration.
  2. Improve his play without the puck and in the neutral zone. He does fine in the offensive zone, but is rarely a threat when the play is breaking out from our end. Too often, he gets caught standing around waiting for the play to develop. I don't think it's laziness so much as his youth and fear of making a mistake.

With privilege comes responsibility. Lats made this team at 19 ahead of several players in our farm system who had more seniority, so the onus is on him to justify his inclusion.

Guest A Semin
I like Lats. His size is what we need, he's got a good shot, and he's getting better at using his body to protect the puck. However, there are two things he needs to do in the off-season if he wants to be a permanent part of this team:
  1. Improve his foot speed. He's just too slow in today's NHL. He often looks like he's wearing cement shoes out there. I'm not expecting him to turn into Maxim Afinogenov, but I do want him to improve his acceleration.
  2. Improve his play without the puck and in the neutral zone. He does fine in the offensive zone, but is rarely a threat when the play is breaking out from our end. Too often, he gets caught standing around waiting for the play to develop. I don't think it's laziness so much as his youth and fear of making a mistake.
With privilege comes responsibility. Lats made this team at 19 ahead of several players in our farm system who had more seniority, so the onus is on him to justify his inclusion.

Ok but I could copy your post on post it on the Ryder subject. The only difference is that Latendresse pass the puck and play physical.

Base on that, I would cut Ryder before Latendresse.

Guest stevesaku
Ok but I could copy your post on post it on the Ryder subject. The only difference is that Latendresse pass the puck and play physical.

im going to have to disagree with you here.

But the thing is Ryder did improve his defense and speed over the summer, exactly what weeping is suggesting. Also the part about getting his spot at 19 wasn't true for Ryder, he worked his butt off in our farm system to get here, and even after a great training camp just squeaked in. Ryder also has 2 30 goal seasons, leading our team, under his belt. Comparing him to Latendresse is pretty far fetched.

Guest A Semin
im going to have to disagree with you here.

Then you will have to explain why. Latendresse would score at much if he played as much as Ryder. In two years he will scores as much.

Guest A Semin
But the thing is Ryder did improve his defense and speed over the summer, exactly what weeping is suggesting. Also the part about getting his spot at 19 wasn't true for Ryder, he worked his butt off in our farm system to get here, and even after a great training camp just squeaked in. Ryder also has 2 30 goal seasons, leading our team, under his belt. Comparing him to Latendresse is pretty far fetched.

Ryder improved his speed and defensive play? I did not notice. He can skates if he wants too, but most of the time, he doesn't.

I agree, for now.

Ryder has proved himself, and his seasons speak for themselves, also, he took a different path to the Show.

Lats is a different player, and more time will show whether he will be as good as or better than Ryder.

Guest Miltie01

Lats does need to improve his game in areas but what 19 year old doesn't.

His attitude and the managment staff should help him do better and do well next season.

Guest gottaHABit

Besides being our top scorer, Ryder was fifth on the team in both assists and hits. He's a rugged player who can score, hit and set up plays. Trading him would make no sense, especially if we do it for these 2 reasons.

I agree, for now.

Ryder has proved himself, and his seasons speak for themselves, also, he took a different path to the Show.

Lats is a different player, and more time will show whether he will be as good as or better than Ryder.

Well ya, we don't know Lats future, but that didn't really have to do with the post I was responding to.

Guest A Semin
Can you predict the future ? :P

Or is this wishful thinking

He is 19. He scored 16 last year, playing half of the season on the 4th line.

Does he need to improve his speed and defensive play. Yes! Should we say the same about Ryder? Yes! Does Latendresse look like a future 30 goals scorer? Yes. It's not like I was saying he is the future Wayne Grezky. Big news: he is not. But 30 goals is not that special and looking at his upsides he could do it if we our patients. And he will be more complete than Ryder, at least Mike changes the way he plays.

If we can say that Higgins could score 30, why not say the same about Latendresse?

Guest CanadianMike
He is 19. He scored 16 last year, playing half of the season on the 4th line.

Does he need to improve his speed and defensive play. Yes! Should we say the same about Ryder? Yes! Does Latendresse look like a future 30 goals scorer? Yes. It's not like I was saying he is the future Wayne Grezky. Big news: he is not. But 30 goals is not that special and looking at his upsides he could do it if we our patients. And he will be more complete than Ryder, at least Mike changes the way he plays.

If we can say that Higgins could score 30, why not say the same about Latendresse?

In Montreal 30 goals is special.

and please let's not compare Higgins with Lats...not now...not ever. Lats is younger and still way behind Higgins as a player (and I think he will remain this way). I think Lats did a lot of great stuff for the Habs this season, but the hype is a little much (most of the time). He is 19, yes... BUT it can go either way for him.

Guest A Semin
In Montreal 30 goals is special.

and please let's not compare Higgins with Lats...not now...not ever. Lats is younger and still way behind Higgins as a player (and I think he will remain this way). I think Lats did a lot of great stuff for the Habs this season, but the hype is a little much (most of the time). He is 19, yes... BUT it can go either way for him.

It can go either way, but he has the potentiel to be a good power forward. I know Higgins is better and he is more complete, but power forwards are there to score goals. Higgins is a lot more than that.

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion.....

Guest CanadianMike
It can go either way, but he has the potentiel to be a good power forward. I know Higgins is better and he is more complete, but power forwards are there to score goals. Higgins is a lot more than that.

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion.....

yeah it is (that is why the 2 should never be compared!) ;)

Guest habinto
I like Lats. His size is what we need, he's got a good shot, and he's getting better at using his body to protect the puck. However, there are two things he needs to do in the off-season if he wants to be a

and he did prove that he deserved to be there. Remember that only Kosty was better or equal to him during the traning camp. Kots unfortunetly could play in the AHL while Lats would have had to go back to Junior, which would have been deterent for him to evolve and his style...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest habsfan7344

I really like Latendresse he is a really good young player and his future is very bright but i would like to see him play with higgins because they are both young and AWSOME players!!!!!

:D Gainey should trade Guillaume Latendresse & Josh Gorges for Wojtek Wolski! :D

*Note:

Ranks fourth among NHL rookies in scoring with 50 points. - Is fifth among rookies in both goals (22) and assists (28). - Is 3-for-6 in shootouts this season. - Has been a healthy scratch in two games, Nov. 22 and March 25. - Scored his 20th goal of the year, the game-winner, on March 7 at Buffalo. - Missed four games due to a mild concussion (Feb. 18-24)...Returned on Feb. 25 at Anaheim. - Suffered the injury after a collision with Craig Conroy on Feb. 17 at Calgary. - Recorded two assists in the NHL's Young Stars Game on Jan. 23 in Dallas. - Named NHL Rookie of the Month for December. - Tallied 11 points (five goals, six assists) in 13 games during the month. - Was the first Avalanche player to win rookie of the month honors since Radim Vrbata in February of 2002. - Scored a goal in three straight games from Dec. 23-29. - Committed his first penalty of the season on Dec. 27 vs. Dallas (35th game). - Tallied his first career multi-goal game on Dec. 23 vs. Chicago. - Recorded a career high four points (1g/3a) on Nov. 25 vs. Vancouver. - Four-point night came just one game after being a healthy scratch on Nov. 22 vs. Anaheim. SEASON HIGHS Minutes: 20:57, Dec. 29 vs. St. Louis Shots: 6, twice (last: March 31 vs. Minnesota) Goals: 2, twice (last: Jan. 1 at Nashville) Assists: 3, Nov. 25 vs. Vancouver (career high) Points: 4, Nov. 25 vs. Vancouver (career high) :D:D:D

Archived