The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest P.Royfan
I totally agree. Koivu is a superstar, the only problem is he's babysitting the first line.

Yes I agree it seems everytime someone on the team is struggling they put him with Koivu I whish that they would put some one who isn't struggling with Koivu!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heart and soul of this team.. Saku is a personal hero of mine, I have an immense amount of respect for Saku..Saku being my lifelong favourite player and Habs being my life long faourite team i would want nothing more then Koivu to lead us to #25, but if Bob cant get him a supporting cast I hope that he can be dealt to a team with potential at a cup run. Nobody in the NHL deserves a cup more then Koivu , NOBODY!!!!!

Guest gottaHABit

QUOTE(habs_fan1160 @ Jul 9 2007, 11:58 PM) *

I totally agree. Koivu is a superstar, the only problem is he's babysitting the first line.

Yes I agree it seems everytime someone on the team is struggling they put him with Koivu I whish that they would put some one who isn't struggling with Koivu!

I like Koivu too, but these comments are getting silly. Koivu just had the best year (points wise) of his career, and the best we can say about his linemates is that he babysat them?? Now there's some gratitude for ya. Make no wonder we can't attract any big name talent...why would anyone risk becoming Montreal's next Samsonov ??? Koivu is a great person, and he's a phenomenal hockey player to but it’s wrong to suggest that his linemates are the reason that he's never posted superstar numbers. Accept him for what he is..… and isn’t.

I like Koivu too, but these comments are getting silly. Koivu just had the best year (points wise) of his career, and the best we can say about his linemates is that he babysat them?? Now there's some gratitude for ya. Make no wonder we can't attract any big name talent...why would anyone risk becoming Montreal's next Samsonov ??? Koivu is a great person, and he's a phenomenal hockey player to but it’s wrong to suggest that his linemates are the reason that he's never posted superstar numbers. Accept him for what he is..… and isn’t.

Normally I would agree, but there is reason to believe that Saku, with the right line mates (real first line talent) would be a top 10-15 scorer in this league. First of all, as many point out, his international career, he plays with 2 real first line talents, and he has produced like a superstar player, and the Olympics is generally considered the highest level of hockey there is.

Let’s face facts, has there ever been a time in Saku’s career when you can say he had 2 legitimate top line players line up beside him? Mark Recchi for a while… Kovalev played with him for a while, and it could be argued he’s atleast a top line talent, and actually during the playoffs Kovalev and Koivu were amazing together.

But there hasn’t been a sustained period of time since coming to Montreal when Saku has had 2 legitimate first liners to play with him, and ofcourse his numbers suffer because of that. In the right system, with the right linemates, not even the “perfect” situation, just the right one, I wouldn’t put 90 points past Saku, he’s that good imo.

Mark Recchi once said that people don’t realize how good he is, he’s an elite player in this league, and Recchi has seen a lot of elite players and that means something.

Guest Lizardking89
Normally I would agree, but there is reason to believe that Saku, with the right line mates (real first line talent) would be a top 10-15 scorer in this league. First of all, as many point out, his international career, he plays with 2 real first line talents, and he has produced like a superstar player, and the Olympics is generally considered the highest level of hockey there is.

Let’s face facts, has there ever been a time in Saku’s career when you can say he had 2 legitimate top line players line up beside him? Mark Recchi for a while… Kovalev played with him for a while, and it could be argued he’s atleast a top line talent, and actually during the playoffs Kovalev and Koivu were amazing together.

But there hasn’t been a sustained period of time since coming to Montreal when Saku has had 2 legitimate first liners to play with him, and ofcourse his numbers suffer because of that. In the right system, with the right linemates, not even the “perfect” situation, just the right one, I wouldn’t put 90 points past Saku, he’s that good imo.

Mark Recchi once said that people don’t realize how good he is, he’s an elite player in this league, and Recchi has seen a lot of elite players and that means something.

I agree 100% Koivu hasn't had an established star on his line since Recchi. Lets not forget the year he was first in scoring in the league and went down with his first knee injury. Injuries and so-so talent on his line has definitely hurt his numbers, if he had a real sniper on his line just imagine the points he'd put up.

Guest BGIES

I love Koivu as well. He really needs to be put on a line with Kovalev again. They oput up good numbers together. I also liked the Koivu, Ryder, Higgins line. I disagree with the babysitting comment as well, but as mentioned by another board member, Koivu really could put up even greater numbers with a good veteran scorer (s).

I do think Higgins and Ryder are good scorers who are showing lots of improvement.

Guest rosalie52
Whoops!

(Even moderators make mistakes :wink:)

:lol:

Regardless, Saku's still gotta be one of the classiest, if not the classiest, players in the NHL today.

Hmmm... Moderators never make mistakes. That's impossible. :D

Guest rosalie52

If my memory serves me well, one year (I don't remember which one), Saku was the leader in points in the NHL before he was injured.

If my memory serves me well, one year (I don't remember which one), Saku was the leader in points in the NHL before he was injured.

You would be correct, it was 96-97, his second year in the NHL, somebody (I'm almost positive it was Jeff Shantz who played for Chicago at the time) went to hit him, caught his knee... tough break.

We had traded Turgeon earlier that season because Saku looked so good he was ready to be a top 2 line center (We also had Damphousse at the time)

Guest old-time Habs fan
I love Koivu as well. He really needs to be put on a line with Kovalev again. They oput up good numbers together. I also liked the Koivu, Ryder, Higgins line. I disagree with the babysitting comment as well, but as mentioned by another board member, Koivu really could put up even greater numbers with a good veteran scorer (s).

I do think Higgins and Ryder are good scorers who are showing lots of improvement.

That's my line!

it has the sign,

of rise and shine;

if Ryder wings it,

Higgs does his bit,

and Koivu minds.

Guest old-time Habs fan
Hey! Nice poem! :D

Thanks!

..the shop, that is,

and sells its wares,

to wary fans,

who play, no fairs!

Cheers!

Guest old-time Habs fan
We have a poet among us! That's awesome! :D

Awesome or awkward, the play goes on,

sometimes we might put it in song;

to soothe our Habs in struggle's plight,

for them, their job, most every night!

Guest old-time Habs fan
Your poems are great!

Thanks! Let's hope...

The greater said, the greater done;

that inspiration fires the gun

that keeps our Habbies on the run,

like eager-beagles after prey,

that snare a winner, any day!

Guest 1970 Habs
Above all, Saku has proven to us that surviving cancer is possible, which is the greatest achievement.

True and that coupled with what he achieved in the playoffs (in my humble opinion) made him the heart and soul of the team and hopefully a Hab forever.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CanadianMike

Just posted this in the offseason thread, but I think some Saku fans would like to read it here.

A quick translation of the main points from the article:

"Captain admits that there is more pressure than in other NHL cities.

The captain of NHL team Montreal Canadiens Saku Koivu was disappointed early in July when the team was not able to tempt big names into its roster. The contract of many top player ended, but the Canadiens ended up without signing any of those.

- I was disappointed, because one always wants to get the team better. It is hard to acquire the superstars and their number was limited. However, I would have expected someone, because according to my knowledge the management was very active during the first two weeks of July. I was hoping that more players would have been caught our net, Koivu tells.

- It is clear that Montreal is not the easiest place to play. There is maybe more pressure than elsewhere. On the other hand the culture, history and interest towards the team make Montreal unique. One can not necessary experience that anywhere else.

Koivu does not want to speculate about the next season yet in August. The center forward wants first to see what kind of a roster Canadiens is finally going to get.

- There are still free agents available, so we'll see how the situation develops in our viewpoint. The games are not won on the paper. Our start in last season was and I hope we are able to get a start like that for the oncoming season as well."

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...41268_jk.shtml

Archived