Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest old-time Habs fan
NO...why?

Would we be retiring his number for what he has done on the ice, or what a great story he has? (comeback from cancer)?

His numbers are nothing to retire a players number about. Those that say it is not the numbers, well he hasn't won anything either.

The numbers game is best for betters,

but can it rate for good, go-getters?

or leaders who will give their all,

whether not, they stand so tall?

Guest CanadianMike

Is there any truth to this rumor/story I just read on the french side of the boards? Briere was close to signing with the Habs, but the fact he wasn't guaranteed to be the Habs #1 Centre stopped things. Koivu called the Habs management to make sure even if Briere did sign with the Habs, that he would still be the #1 C man in Montreal.

anyone????????????????

Is there any truth to this rumor/story I just read on the frnch side of the boards? Briere was close to signing with the Habs, but the fact he wasn't guaranteed to be the Habs #1 Centre stopped things. Koivu called the Habs management to make sure even if Briere did sign with the Habs, that he would still be the #1 C man in Montreal.

anyone????????????????

From the original source used on the French side that we had to delete, I would say that it's totally made-up. ;) Of course, the French media who's had it against Koivu for years now, have jumped on that story just to make our captain look bad... one more time! <_<

Guest CanadianMike
From the original source used on the French side that we had to delete, I would say that it's totally made-up. ;)
:huh:

merci..I mean Thanks you.

Won't be long before they play a major role in his departure when he hits the open market again in 2 years. Was it going to be worth paying 3 million+ more for a guy who is going to score maybe 20 - 25 more points than Koivu?

Koivu just can't win.

only way he can win is to change his last name to Beliveau or Richard or Bouchard.

If anything it would be management calling Koivu to tell him that if they sign Briere not to worry as he would still be their #1 guy

Even still, what makes Briere think he can just barge into this team and already start making demands before he even signs a contract? suddenly we cant have a line 1a and line 1b? that only works for goalies I guess, eventually like an 1a 1b goalie situation, someone takes over the #1 role, may the better performer get that job.

Even if this article was true, which it clearly isn't, why would Koivu who is basically saying I'm not giving up my spot unless he takes it from me, be the bad guy as opposed to the guy who hasn't even signed yet, demanding this that and the other thing.

Its just so irritating to see such a respectable player like Koivu take this much abuse for absolutley NO reason, he has never let on to being selfish, never been a prima-donna, and yet here we have, the same Media Outlets constantly trying to drag him through the dirt!

He is the reason we cant win, he is the reason we miss the playoffs, he has no leadership qualities, we will never win a cup with a Euro captain. It all makes no sense to me.

Guest stevesaku
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the media and certain fans will only recognize Koivu's true worth when he's gone.

you got that right

Guest 1970 Habs

I think the quote "the media and certain fans will only recognize Koivu's true worth when he's gone" applies to a number of other players as well.

Guest stevesaku

on www.habsinsideout.com there is an article about sheldon souray signing with the oilers. at the end of the article souray is quoted as saying " its a shame we never got to win the cup, saku, rivet and I used to talk about how great it would be to win the cup in montreal".......poor saku, he seemed to have lost his two closest friends.

but saku is the man, he doesnt whine like sheldon does in that article.

Guest CanadianMike
on www.habsinsideout.com there is an article about sheldon souray signing with the oilers. at the end of the article souray is quoted as saying " its a shame we never got to win the cup, saku, rivet and I used to talk about how great it would be to win the cup in montreal".......poor saku, he seemed to have lost his two closest friends.

but saku is the man, he doesnt whine like sheldon does in that article.

oh please... get over it. If only Saku was half the man Sheldon is.

Guest 1970 Habs

Both men have big hearts; just happens one is with the team while the other is not.

The fact is Koivu showed enough heart (and determination) when he came back from cancer and lead his team in the playoffs.

Anyway that insulting the players can stop?

Guest CanadianMike
:blink:

Not only that, let's show a little more respect for our players! What a shocking and bogus statement. :blink:

wow nice thing to say Mr Moderator. <_<

I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I think that comment about Shelley was uncalled for.

In height maybe ;)

Are you honestly calling out the team captain's manhood Vs. that of a guy who couldn't even hold his own against Crosby or Spezza? I mean, they made Souray look like a pilon in practice...basically they made him look like Wade Belak.

I like Shelly just as much as the next...but to imply that Koivu isn't quite man enough to hang with Sheldon Souray at the NHL level is laughable at best. They are both in my opinion solid players for what they bring to their squads respectively. To imply thst one is better than the other is an apples and oranges comparison as they both bring different dimensions to the game itself.

Guest CanadianMike

this is going off topic. Let's just say SOURAY rocks in my books (always will). AND I think Habs will miss him a lot (on and off the ice).

:)

Guest habs_fan1160

I'm excited to see Saku back in action. I think he can break his record from last year, or come close to it if he's matched up with the right pair on the first line.

Saku's a great guy on and off the ice and I wish him the best for this season. Here's to a healthy and successful 2007/08 season.

this is going off topic. Let's just say SOURAY rocks in my books (always will). AND I think Habs will miss him a lot (on and off the ice).

:)

I have absolutely no problem with Souray either, Mike. I hope he does great. But the comment about the captain was uncalled for.

Anyways, now that this is all sorted out, if we want to talk Souray, let's take it to his thread in "Around the League". ;)

Guest stevesaku

sorry bud, but i wont join your " souray is the best in the universe" fanclub

saku half the man sheldon is.... hmmmmmmmmm

do i have to remind you saku is the captain in a city where hockey is a religion? and where people watch your every move? all this amongst other things...

get some sleep pal, you'll get over it. its what players do they leave.

Archived