The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kovalev Rocks

Im a 20 year old young man, and weirdly I couldnt watch this footage without sheading a tear. What Koivu went through was bigger than hockey.. it was life and death. At the end of the day, Montreal was still near to his heart, as he wanted to give back to them. God Bless Saku Koivu, I wish him a healthy and happy season in 07-08.

Hope this works for everyone.

Edit: Watch with like 5 seconds, the voice comes on to quiet the crowd, but they just get louder. You can see a slight grin come over Koivu's face. :)

Guest CanadianMike

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070825...30/CPACTUALITES

don't know if this is being discussed somewhere else, but just saw this.

Saku thinks Habs will make the playoffs, but no Stanley Cup.

Is he being honest or should he keep these things to himself?

He knows we didn't sign an impact player (what about Hammer? :blink: )

Never spoke to Briere to try to get him here, but did have some hope.

Thinks Carey Price will be a top goalie in 3-4 years.

Guest d80jcrant

Canadiens captain Saku Koivu may have been a little disappointed with his team's inability to lure big-name free agents this summer, but he's looking forward to the upcoming season, reports Montreal's La Presse.

Over the off-season, the Habs lost free agents Sheldon Souray and Radek Bonk, and are not expected to bring back Mike Johnson, who is still available.

The Habs did manage to sign the likes of Roman Hamrlik, Bryan Smolinski and Patrice Brisebois.

"It is never pleasant to see friends like Craig (Rivet) and Sheldon to leave the team, but I can say to you that Roman Hamrlik is a very good defenseman," Koivu told La Presse.

"I like also Bryan Smolinski, who already played for a winning team in Ottawa. We need this kind of guy on our team."

It was widely reported prior to the start of the free agent market that the Canadiens would pursue and sign Daniel Briere. The star forward rejected an offer from the Habs and opted to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers. While Koivu would have welcomed Briere, he understands how the business of hockey works.

"Was I disappointed that he didn't sign with us? Let us say that I was hopeful," Koivu said. "It should be understood that there were about 25 teams that were interested in his services. We weren't alone in that race.

"We weren't able to obtain an impact player, but we have good young players who will fill many holes."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070825.html

Guest s.k 11
Canadiens captain Saku Koivu may have been a little disappointed with his team's inability to lure big-name free agents this summer, but he's looking forward to the upcoming season, reports Montreal's La Presse.

Over the off-season, the Habs lost free agents Sheldon Souray and Radek Bonk, and are not expected to bring back Mike Johnson, who is still available.

The Habs did manage to sign the likes of Roman Hamrlik, Bryan Smolinski and Patrice Brisebois.

"It is never pleasant to see friends like Craig (Rivet) and Sheldon to leave the team, but I can say to you that Roman Hamrlik is a very good defenseman," Koivu told La Presse.

"I like also Bryan Smolinski, who already played for a winning team in Ottawa. We need this kind of guy on our team."

It was widely reported prior to the start of the free agent market that the Canadiens would pursue and sign Daniel Briere. The star forward rejected an offer from the Habs and opted to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers. While Koivu would have welcomed Briere, he understands how the business of hockey works.

"Was I disappointed that he didn't sign with us? Let us say that I was hopeful," Koivu said. "It should be understood that there were about 25 teams that were interested in his services. We weren't alone in that race.

"We weren't able to obtain an impact player, but we have good young players who will fill many holes."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl070825.html

And some say Koivu did not want Briere to come to Montreal.

Guest overlords
And some say Koivu did not want Briere to come to Montreal.

Well what do u want him to say when someone is jabbing a mic in your face? "No, I think he would have been the typical diving baby he usually is". come on, get real. Getting briere would have been another band-aid move and I hope Koivu has the sense to realize that, and i think he does.

Let the Media circus begin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217589&hubname=

Canadian Press

9/4/2007 6:27:57 PM

LAVAL, Que. (CP) - In a city that talks hockey 12 months a year, much of the summer chatter dealt with one sentence from Saku Koivu.

The team captain told a reporter the Canadiens definitely have a team to make the NHL playoffs, but not to win a Stanley Cup.

It was a fair assessment, but not the message some felt the captain should be passing on to a young team that missed the post-season last spring.

But it made general manager Bob Gainey smile and say Tuesday that, "Saku spoke one line too many. Instead of the 40-second clip, he should have gone with the 20-second clip, because if we are in the playoffs six or seven months from now, we will have a chance to win the Stanley Cup and we can evaluate that question at that time."

The occasion was the Canadiens annual charity golf tournament at Laval-Sur-La-Lac - traditionally the first time the team gets together before the start of training camp, when newcomers like defenceman Roman Hamrlik and forwards Brian Smolinski and Tom Kostopoulos meet their teammates.

They got to see a mass of media descend on Koivu.

"I said that on paper, we're not the favourite to win the Stanley Cup, but I'm very positive we will make the playoffs and from there on, everything's open," said Koivu.

"In 1993 when the Canadiens won the Cup, no one picked them to win, but they did. That's how I want to see it. We have to focus on what we have here, not on who's not here."

Few are picking the Canadiens even to make the playoffs. The Hockey News rates Montreal 13th in the Eastern Conference.

The predictions are based largely on off-season free agent signings, which saw Montreal strike out in a bid to land Buffalo centre Daniel Briere and lose hard-firing point man Sheldon Souray, who took his 26-goal season to Edmonton.

Briere opted for an eight-year US$52 million deal with Philadelphia, spurning Montreal's six-year offer.

"I don't know if in recent years, regarding the Canadiens, I've ever been more disappointed," team owner George Gillett said of Briere. "We honestly thought that he was coming here.

"We were enthusiastic and supportive and so was he. And, as of less than a half hour before the final decision was made, we had reason to believe he was coming here. So it was a shock."

But Gainey is confident the Canadiens will be better this season, largely from the continued progression of a strong group of young players.

The whole organization also got a boost when its top farm club, the Hamilton Bulldogs, won the Calder Cup with blue-chip prospect Carey Price in goal.

Price will battle with veteran Cristobal Huet, who fought injuries and inconsistency last season, and prospect Jaroslav Halak for a spot on the NHL club.

"Right away, I believe we're better in goal," said Gainey. "It's the only position by itself that can swing a game.

"We have talent, we have depth, we have competition from within, and I think it will provide us with the backbone for the other parts of our team."

Gainey sees no reasons why Price could not be kept with the NHL team even if Huet remains the starter, but coach Guy Carbonneau said the 20-year-old would be better off getting regular work in Hamilton than riding the bench in Montreal.

After the goaltenders, the Canadiens are looking for a young core of players including defenceman Mike Komisarek and forwards Chris Higgins, Michael Ryder, Guillaume Latendresse and Andrei Kostitsyn to make more impact.

And Gainey feels that some of the Calder Cup team, including centre Kyle Chipchura, defenceman Ryan O'Byrne and others, may be ready for NHL action.

There are openings heading into camp, even though Smolinski looks poised to replace departed third-line centre Radek Bonk and veteran defenceman Patrice Brisebois, the former whipping boy of Bell Centre fans, has returned after two seasons in Colorado.

Brisebois got a big hug from Koivu on his arrival at the golf club.

He will see power-play action and so will Hamrlik, who has even taken over Souray's old No. 44.

"I know he has a hell of a shot and he scored lots of goals," Hamrlik said of Souray. "He helped a lot on the power play. I think I can do the same thing he did."

Kostopoulos, a Mississauga, Ont., native, surprised the team and the media by doing interviews in French.

And Gainey looked looser than he has since his daughter Laura was lost at sea while working on a tall ship last winter.

"I think I'll be better this year - I'll be fresher for reasons we can all understand," Gainey said. "I think our coaching staff will be better - we had two (Carbonneau and assistant Kirk Muller) who were first-year coaches last year.

"There are all kinds of small areas (of improvement) that don't add up to headline on the first of July. We feel that we'll be a good, exciting, competitive team and it's up to us to prove it."

Guest habs_fan1160

Lol, so redicilous. What Koivu said was the truth. If there are people out there that are dillusional enough to believe that this current team could win the Cup this year, then let them have it.

Koivu just said what the majority of Habs fans already know. No point on lying about it just because he's the captain.

Guest Miltie01

"I think I'll be better this year "- Bob Gainey

When you have leadership at the top who has expectations of himself, as well as others, it only means good things are coming our way.

Guest Miltie01
Lol, so redicilous. What Koivu said was the truth. If there are people out there that are dillusional enough to believe that this current team could win the Cup this year, then let them have it.

Koivu just said what the majority of Habs fans already know. No point on lying about it just because he's the captain.

Like Bob said, he should have gave the 20 sec. clip !!!!

Although the truth, sometimes it's best to keep some things in your head.

I don't think any less of him though.

Guest cheerio279

like really....... duhhhh of course we're not cup favourites, it's not like he predicted the team to lose all 82 games

Keep the personal comments against other users out of your posts!

JL.

I think what Koivu said was taken out of context. The media is just gonna run with and make it seem like Koivu has already given up.

I don't think we should believe any of it.

The hockey news graded us as a D+. Talk about low, i think we're better than that.

But you're bias

We didn't make the playoffs last year and according to the so called media / hockey experts the players we added aren't going to make that much of a difference

I guess time will tell , but I tend to agree with the so-called hockey experts :mellow:

As for Koviu , he's just telling the truth .

I sense frustration . At the end of the year he mentioned not wanting to be in a rebuilding mode , now this .

Maybe he's been talking to his buddy in San Jose and Anaheim :P

Guest mrlosims
The hockey news graded us as a D+. Talk about low, i think we're better than that.

They don't count the rookies' emergence, second effort of the players and 4 goaltenders who can make it to the NHL.

They're always like that. It's just speculation ;)

Guest hatethoseleafs

A lot of factors go into winning a Cup. The best team at the beginning of the season is not always the best team at the end. Chemistry, injuries and peaking at the right time all play major roles in where a team finishes. We might only be a move or two from winning it all, and who's to say we won't make those moves during the season. Let's remember that the Dog's were far from being the overall favourites to win the Calder this year. ;)

Guest d80jcrant
Like Bob said, he should have gave the 20 sec. clip !!!!

Although the truth, sometimes it's best to keep some things in your head.

I don't think any less of him though.

makes me a little sad though

Archived